Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• sr1945sr1945 Posts: 38
    Got the 08 Accord instead ;)
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    You should have bought the 08 Camry SE! More fun than a barrel of monkeys!
    :)

And better looking too!
  • But the problem is the 2.4 is technologically very dated now - it should have been updated for the Camry line by now too. This could have been the perfect opportunity to update this engine for both model lines, had Toyota only seized it.

Given that Toyota just recently introduced the Valvematic 2.0-liter engine rated at around 150 bhp in Japan, they should have put this engine in the new Corolla. It would have offered almost as much power as the 2.4-liter I-4 but with much better fuel economy. Hopefully, Toyota will put this engine on 2010 Corollas coming in 2009.
    Sure it is. The Camry looks like a Camry. The 08 Accord looks like everything else out there that's made by GM/Saturn. The last generation Accord was way more elegant and attractive than this Saturn look alike.
    : :P
    Mack
    Perhaps to you it does, but to me, its a nice looking car, and nicer interior than the Camry, and many agree. We all have our likes and dislikes, and this Accord was purchased because of its looks in and outside over the Camry.

:shades:
  • Perhaps you didn't notice but this is a Toyota Corolla forum, NOT a Honda Accord Forum. We are all glad you purchased a vehicle you liked. But enough of the Accord already. Believe it or not but Edmund's offers a Forum for the Accord
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Bingo - you got to it first. It's also not Brand War Smackdown '07, so let's stick to talking about the Corolla.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Well, I am with sr1945.

He posted his opinions on how lame Toyota was with it's refresh. I don't think looks much different then the current Corolla.... :mad:

I know it's been said many times here, but, I, like many others, was hoping/expecting something more 'exciting', especially after being delayed a couple a years. I just thought you might want to hear another consumer's point of view, again. ;)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The mechanicals and interior are more important than the exterior styling when I choose a vehicle.
    What I expected as a minimum was 5 speed automatic and 6 speed manual transmissions and standard ABS and standard curtain airbags.
    If Toyota upgrades the transmissions during the model run.............

The styling of the Corolla is identifiable as part of the Toyota family and is pleasant if not exciting. No problems with the styling.
    Ok. The 2009 Corolla is way better looking than the Accord. I'm not brand smacking just stating the obvious.

• sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The Accord is in a whole different class than the Corolla. Inside and out it's just a better redesign...period. But that's just a personal opinion on my part as yours is on your part. Having owned both brands now, plus Nissan and Mazda, have to give the nod to Honda. Having owned 4 Toyotas in the past, they were all good cars, good appliances. Glad we did but there are other cars just as good in the market.
    I know you'll flame me here, but since you work for Toyota, it's expected. I have no personal allegience to any car company, I can just speak from personal experience with the 4 big foreign car companies.
    The new Corolla looks like a very nice car and will probably look at one for the kids. Just prefer the Civic at this stage of our buying cycle.

The Sandman :)
    You'll get the manual 5spd tranny in the XRS and also the 5 spd auto. A 5 speed auto doesn't make sense with the new 1.8L Dual VVT-i. Abs and curtain airbags will be standard. VSC/Trac is optional. Here's a link to all the specs.
    link title :shades:
    Don't get me wrong, I do not hate Honda on the contrary they are our biggest competitor and our family has also owned Honda products. My middle son has had two Integras and is currently driving a Prelude SH.
    If I had to choose something besides a Toyota I would go with a Honda first and Nissan second.
    You are right that it's an apple to oranges comparo. However, not to get off topic, IMHO the current Camry has higher quality interior materials than the new 08 Accord. Both manufacturers have lowered the quality of the interiors in the products they are making. This seems to be a trend in the industry as a way off cutting costs. When enough customers complain they will change. It's happened before.
    Mack
  • I agree. I attended the SF Auto Show this past Saturday and compared the redesigned Accord to the current Camry and there was no comparison. The Camry had far better looking and feeling and higher quality interior materials than the new Accord.

Back to the all new '09 Corolla though. I had the pleasure of seeing the new Corolla at the SF Auto Show and I was very impressed. Unfortunately, the Corolla was roped off and the doors locked but I was able to put my face up to the window and get a good look inside; Toyota did an outstanding job with the interior. I also thoroughly love the exterior. I believe the new Corolla will be a huge hit! They also have the all new Matrix next to it and it also very extremely nice looking inside and out. Just my two cents.
    Thank You. It's going to be a HUGE hit along with the Matrix. I can't wait for February 11, 2008 to come around. :)
    Mackabee
  • One posting comparing Toyota to Honda is an opinion, and for the most part welcomed. However multiple postings by the same poster about Honda in the Toyota forum is no longer constructive and doesn't belong. I am sure there is a Honda forum that he can post where people are interested in what he might have to say. But perhaps not. Seems like they are all over here.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Most reviews say the new Camry interior looks cheaper quality than the Accord.
    I think the style and design of the Camry interior looks nicer, but the quality of the materials is too cheap. Looks better in photos than real life.
    Have you actually spent some time in both vehicles? Reviewers can't remember one detail from the next so I don't put too much faith in them. I should have been from Missouri,. SHOW ME!
    Mack
    '
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Why don't you two (and anyone else interested) meet up in the Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry discussion to continue.
    I've been there and got the T-shirt. Some folks just like to beat a dead horse! :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Which, ahem, is exactly what's going on here with the (mostly off-topic) comparos.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ham3ham3 Posts: 1
    Ya everybody gets tired of comparing Hondas and Toyotas, but I have a 2005 Corolla and I tested both, and on smooth pavement they are pretty much the same. But we have to drive about 2 miles of wash board dirt road. Next time you compare these two try a road like that and you will find a huge difference with the nod easily going to the Corolla. It absorbs these bumps quietly and quite smoothly. Whereas the Honda sounds tinny and knocks your teeth out. I was test driving with my 16 y/o daughter (to be her car) and that made her mind up...she wanted the Corolla. By the way I have frequently got right at 41 mpg on interstate at 77mph...pretty good if you ask me....why get a Prius? I do like the new look...now the question is are the seats a tad better, and how about the position, which as I read was the biggest complaint on the last series.
    They have changed the sitting position on both the Corolla and Corolla Matrix. Should be more user friendly along with the tilt/telescoping wheel. Like I said, I can't wait for them to get here. :)
    Mackabee
  • The U.S. is getting the same exact Corolla that Europe and Australia already have. There are only a few minor cosmetic differences such as the front grill. Every review that I've read from overseas markets states that one of the biggest improvements on the all new 10th gen Corolla is the seats and in particular the driver seating position. One reviewer in South Africa stated the following referring to the driver's seat: "you are now sitting 'in' the seat instead of 'on' the seat." Also adding the telescopic steering wheel feature makes it even easier to find a comfortable driving position. At least three reviewers stated that this new Corolla is the best Corolla ever. I'm greatly looking forward to its arrival in early February 2008! :)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I certainly hope it is the best ever. I've never heard of a new car being released where a previous version was better.
    The 4-speed automatic is a red flag, but I suppose it's possible that it will still be OK.
    The worst aspects of a rental Corolla I drove were the driving position and extremely loud and ugly sounding engine when you tried to accelerate quickly. Embarrassing, especially since the car didn't even move much after the noise.
    The Corolla engine doesn't rev sweetly like Hondas, so I hope they load the car with sound insulation to mask the drone.
    With the exception of the climate controls. Looks like ours are right out of the Scion xD, xB, and Yaris twins. The knobs look cheesy and are rather flimsy. Sorry about the rhyme!

This is what the instrument panel looks on the Ultima Corolla which I'm guessing here will be our XLE Corolla.

Here's the interior of our Corolla S. Notice the three knobs in the center dash for the climate control.

Here's the interior of our Corolla XLE. Same climate control knobs. Why couldn't they put the push button climate control unit in there?

• The new Corolla comes standard with an all new 1.8 liter Dual VVT-i engine. From what I've read and heard this new engine is quieter and much more refined. I was a bit disappointed initially when I heard about the 4 speed auto but now I don't really think it's a big deal at all. Australia and South Africa get the same exact set up and the new Corolla is selling like crazy their. You may not think it's the "best ever" since this is an opinion of a few professional car reviewers. Just a suggestion, if you like the way a Honda engine sounds you might want to consider buying a Honda product. I've personally driven several current 9th gen Corolla's and have found they all have very good acceleration. I agree, the engine can be a bit coarse at times but this will be remedied by the new 1.8 Dual VVT-i engine in the new Corolla.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    Does the new Corolla come with a manual tranny? My wife is thinking this might be a good car for her and I think nah, but she has to drive it not me. Supposedly good economy but she wants a 5 spd and not an automatic. Nothing official I've seen yet says clearly what you can order.
    Very good come back [macabee] about the new Corolla being [NOT]the exact same as the European model. Its not. The European model gets a much nicer control panel and that is what I was hoping for and why I put down a deposit, later canceled. So much nicer interior controls and cannot understand why not here in the US but in Europe instead.

The fake wood trim is pretty bad looking as well, and wish they would use a more upscale trim that I would be willing to upgrade and pay for, but no to this either.

I would think by giving us the better look inside, perhaps a little better exterior as well, Toyota would sell even more for those that like better looks and not just the same old bland appearance. Yes, I know, they will sell many, but would it not be to their interest to sell even more. $$ is what they are in this for is it not ?