Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• tom71tom71 Posts: 46
    Hello,

I'm considering buying a new 2006 Toyota XRS.
    I'm interested in your comments and would appreciate
    a reply specificly on the car's performance.

I've read that the XRS's 164 hp engine's power
    doesn't kick in well until the higher rpm range.
    I plan to test drive an XRS soon.

Is this your experience?

Anyone else who has an XRS, feel free to chime in
    with your opinions.
    Are you satisfied with the car's power?

I would think with 164 hp, the XRS should be
    quite a bit quicker than the base Corolla.

I drove a Mazda 3S; liked it but dealer location
    is inconvenient. Enjoyed driving the Focus ZX4 ST
    with the 151 hp engine, but I'm leary of Ford
    reliability.

Your thoughts?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Hi Tom71,
    This discussion is about the possibility of a future Corolla. To talk to current owners, please visit our regular Toyota Corolla discussion. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    One of the car magazines says that the new Corolla release date has been pushed for at least another 6 months, after the release of the succesful new Honda Civic. Toyota will work on the design, they now realize that their cars are way too bland and boring, and want to improve in that area.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I know that styling is subjective, but I think the current Corolla is one the nicest looking small sedans available today. However, Toyota may be looking at sprucing up the interior. 6 months is not enough time to make major exterior changes.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I do not think that samnoe meant "in 6 months" but rather "crashed by 6 months", similar to what Toyota has done with the Camry. The Camry redesign is debuting about 5-6 months earlier that it should, based on the model's history.

My guess is that we'll see a new Corolla in late Fall of '06 or Spring of '07 as compared to a later date. Although, this is tricky to figure out since the redesigned 2003 Corolla went on sale in March of 2002.

~alpha
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    they were ever shooting for fall '06. I bet they were shooting for February '07, just like the current model ('03 debuted in late February '02). In which case, if their estimates prove accurate, we will now be waiting until late summer or early fall '07 to see the next gen.

I am sure you can make substantial changes to the front and rear fascia in six months, since they are basically plastic. With the new Yaris sedan looking so much like a miniature Camry, they might be changing Corolla to look a little different, so it is not just a Yaris clone from the first day.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• earthearth Posts: 76
    Saw the link a few days ago, and it does not look like a new 07 corolla. In fact, it still looks very much like the current model.... Saw another possible corolla a few weeks ago, that just might be it, with a new grill and body
  • mark63mark63 Posts: 27
    http://www.mag-x.com/index_ie_j.html

That's the new Corolla.

I heard it will have 2.0L 160 or 165 hp.
  • mark63mark63 Posts: 27
    http://www.mag-x.com/index_ie_j.html

It is in the second pictures. confirm by japanese news....

That's the new Corolla.

I heard it will have 2.0L 160 or 165 hp.
  • There's only so much you can do about car design. This one looks like a smaller Lexus IS.
    I feel 160 horses in the Corolla, as standard trim, is highly unlikely. The focus of this model is efficiency, and I cant't see the Corolla managing the same spectacular MPG figures it does now with that level of power standard. Also, the new Camry is expected to produce between 158 and 166 horses from the 2.4L, what sense would it made to have the Corolla signficantly quicker than its more expensive stablemate?

If anything, an engine with 160 horses might be optional, like it is in the Mazda 3. Otherwise, I expect the performance bogey will be the Civic, which has significantly improved performance from its 140 horse 1.8L, along with top-tier fuel efficiency.

~alpha
  • I can hardly believe that Toyota would just sit there and let Honda steal the market with the Civic. It wouldn't be to far of a stretch for the Corolla to have a 1.8L making somewhere around 140 hp. Knowing that they have to compete with the Mazda 3s and the Chevy Cobalt LT (170 hp), they will most likely make a version with a larger 4 cylinder making about 160. That would probably by the 2L or possibly the 2.4L from the Camry (if it will fit....) To deal with the Cobalt SS and Civic Si, they (might) make the Corolla XRS go up to 200-220 hp somehow. Or they might desert that segment and let Scion do their thing with it. I don't really know....
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    all that impressed with the new Civic's fuel economy, which basically stood still at the model changeover. I am really hoping Toyota does better than match that, and that they go even one step further for the Yaris. I would like to see a combined 37-38 for the new Corolla, and a combined 40 for the Yaris. I know, I know, everyone says I am dreaming.

I would be very surprised if they went with 160 hp standard. The Yaris will still use the 105ish hp 1.5 from the Echo, I believe. That would be an awfully big jump from one model to the next.

However, the VVTL-i 1.8 from the old Celica GTS that the current Corolla XRS uses will have to go, as it is too smoggy for new standards. So if they continue the XRS trim, I could see them using the next-gen Camry 4-cyl as the power booster for the faster trim line. That would be fun, with decent fuel economy also.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    The Yaris numbers were mentioned in a USA today review today. They are only 34/40 with the manual. Lower with the automatic.

This does not bode well for the new Corolla.

If the Corolla jumps up a half size (after all Toyota has nothing between 91 and 103 cubic ft) then I would not mind a very slight decrease in fuel economy.
    Which non-hybrid economy car beats 34/40? And at 34/39 for the auto, its not far off, and both are significantly better than the similarly powered Hyundai Accent.

~alpha
  • I own an 05 XRS and love the car...only drawbacks are the looks...if you can get by that, then it will be a mini-lexus for you...it has plenty of power when you want it, and will deliver you in style...fun to drive especially in corners and it does rev high(second cam opens at 6400 RPM and is quite a thrill when it does...and will get you around someone very quickly...at the end of 3rd gear you will loose your license if you get caught!! If you do not get caught...then there are 3 more gears if you dare to reach the redline...I talked to someone who works at the plant where they make them and he took his to 150 MPH and it was still going strong. Suspension is great...but back seat does not fold down for loading longer objects.
    Shift it using 2-4-6 gears and get 42 mpg...push the pedal down and rev it up...and go get some more gas!
    Take a look at it from the back and decide it the narrow stance is for you...the Civic has a Wider Stance and looks better...will you need the back seat for passengers? And the Civic has an awesome sound system if you go for the SI coupe

good luck drive careful
    "Which non-hybrid economy car beats 34/40?"

The larger and more powerfull Corolla is 32/41. The even larger and even more powerfull Civic is 32/40 (with an automatic). You should gain something noticeable in mpg by downsizing to the Yaris.

The Honda Civic was 36/44 in HX trim, and that was as much as 6 years ago.

Don't even get me started on diesels! :) Jetta 42/49. etc. etc.

I think Toyota and others don't want to encroach on their hybrids, so there is less incentive to really push the mpg on non hybrids.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "I talked to someone who works at the plant where they make them and he took his to 150 MPH and it was still going strong."

The person you talked to at the plant was full of it.

The XRS has the same powertrain as the Celica GTS. The Celica GTS punches a smaller hole in the air. The Celica GTS is aerodynamically drag-limited to a top speed of around 130mph....which actually occurs in 5th gear (shifting into 6th results in a drop in hp and a drop in speed). I know; I've had a Celica GTS 6sp since November of '99. (BTW - the speed indicated by the speedo is more than a bit optimistic).

Since the Corolla XRS punches a bigger hole in the air than the Celica, and has slightly less hp, I have a REAL hard time believing the Corolla XRS will go anywhere CLOSE to 150mph.

Personally, I'd believe a top speed closer to 125.
  • earthearth Posts: 76
    The larger and more powerfull Corolla is 32/41. The even larger and even more powerfull Civic is 32/40 (with an automatic). You should gain something noticeable in mpg by downsizing to the Yaris.
    ----------------------------------
    Actually the civic automatic 06 model gets 30 city, 40 highway, not 32 city
    Oops - my point remains the same though.
    I dont understand your point. I asked which cars provide better than 34/40, without hybrid (and I should have included diesel as well), and you only named the Corolla at 32/41, which is certainly exceptional, but not better.

As long as the Yaris posts good acceleration (times and feel), I think the ratings are decent.

Personally, I am VERY doubtful that Nissan will be able to deliver on its promise of the Versa hitting a COMBINED 38MPG. Nissan's current 4 cylinder engines are NOT at all very efficient, with the Sentra's 1.8L posting 28/35 at best, and Altima 4 cylinder auto posting a lame 23/29. Certainly, Nissan will be using transmission trickery to extract max efficiency.... which is commendable and puts Toyota's offerings in the Yaris (4A, 5M) behind the times.

I am interested to see what the next-gen Corolla will feature as its transmission choices. Same thing for the Sentra- but we'll have that answer relatively soon, given its debut on Jan.9 in Detroit!

~alpha
    My point was that it is no special feat to make a smaller lighter car with a smaller engine and not improve fuel economy. Honda and Toyota could both make conventional engined cars with much better mileage if one extrapolates from the Civic and Corolla.

I also did mention the Civic HX 36/44. Geo Metro got 39/43 (4-cyl) or 44/49 (3-cyl).

The Echo itself got 35/43 back in 2004. Seems silly to be going backwards, just as fuel prices are going up.

Part of the reason there are fewer high mpg conventional cars is that hybrids generate much more profit, so there is no incentive to increase mileage. This is the main reason I believe that some small cars are not really pushing efficiency. They don't want to steal the thunder form the hybrids.
  • the XRS is limited to about 135 mph. Even so we have debated on 9thgen and 150 mpg is not achievable and the guy at the plant that told you that is blowing smoke. Watch what you believe and drive safe.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    If anything, an engine with 160 horses might be optional,

I'm in agreement that the 1.8L will like remain the same with a similar power output and FE. This generation will be more Lexus like as is the Avalon and the Camry.

But in light of the company's stated strategy I think a hybrid option is certainly a possiblity for both FE and added power advantages. The 1.8L HSD with about 175 hp and FE in the mid-high 40's combined differentiates the Corolla from the rest of the market. Now the two main pillars of Toyota's product line have hybrid options and the Prius is allowd to a) retain it's technophile client base or; b) retire gracefully as the CamRolla takes over the hybrid banner.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Part of the reason there are fewer high mpg conventional cars is that hybrids generate much more profit, so there is no incentive to increase mileage.

Are you sure about that ? Many autocritics were questioning how much money Toyota is actually making on the Prius. Many thought that the PRIUS was being sold at a loss. Not sure about that though. Anyway I am surprised that 40 mpg is not good enough for you from cars like the Corolla and Civic. I personally think they give excellent mpg. You have to remember that the current Corolla is almost as large as the early 90s Camry.
  • tpsguytpsguy Posts: 1
    Well real world on the Yaris will be around 39 mpg for the automatic. Basically a restyled Echo, same platform... most consumer groups rate at 38mpg with an automatic.
    Honda's Civic Hybrid got 36 real world mileage.
    The new civic is bigger but has a useless rear seat with tight roof and legroom. it has a useless raked wind shield that just take up space. The Dash/IP is so long that it
    has to separate the digital (high cost cutting feature) speedometer, and the RPM gauge to mask its length. If you are a driver you'll hate swithching your eyes back and forth with each shift. Toyota 1.8 and 1.5 were designed to accept direct injection fuel injectors that will increase power,and put gas mileage in the 40's(only 1 year away).
    The civic's new motor is still SOHC, no exhaust manifold, it is built into the aluminum head... just one pipe come out from it(more costcutting).The new Civic would make a great Saturn, but Honda's a great engineering company, but cut too much from the new car. Most consumers groups are getting around 28mpg in the new model. The new hybrid(38mpg) isn't even in the league with the prior generation Prius. Honda profits are strong...they should of made the new Civic better.
    The Honda Accord is excellent...I expect no less from the Civic. Honda should have two awesome sedans, not just one.
  • Im worried
    this car is looking like a bigger version of the yaris

I hope thats not it

150hp? maybe?
  • From the XRS you get 4drs which some car manufacturers consider unnecessary as in SI/Cobalt SS. You get good mileage if you care or power surges if you don't.
    Like many folks I am alone in my car most of the day and the 164hp will keep you ahead of traffic - no problems. Just don't sample 300cs or the like.
    Hatchbacks are cool - read planned euro corolla; the Matrix simply sits too too tall. Where is the AWD corolla?
    Toyotas marriage to Subaru should yield something cool in the next 18months. Unfortunately it will be some other car - Toyota also has plans for the Supra (2drs)
    At the end of the day we'll take what Manufacturers offer and not exactly what we desire; still Toyota makes excellent vehicles which is why I hope they see the wisdom of high output AWD compacts.