Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Second, regarding Honda a comparison of a Civic EX automatic at less the $20,000 vs. a Corolla S automatic pkg. B at $21,405 shows Toyota to be over $1400 more than comparable Honda.

From the respective websites...

The Civic EX AT is $20145 ( no Navi ) with essentially no options - but also no VSC/Trac and $21895 ( w/ Navi ).

The Corolla XLE AT has different levels of equipment at the customer's option - but all but one option include VSC/Trac
    Pckg A @ $18860+
    Pckg B @ $19750+
    Pckg C @ $20119+
    Pckg D @ $20509+
    Pckg E @ $20810+
    Pckg E @ $21629+
    +Alloy wheels are extra

Add the AW extra and the Toyota ( Pckgs B & F ) is slightly higher than the two equivalent Honda models but with more equipment. The customer also has 4 other options if they so choose.
  • Disappointed the XLE will not have a leather option available. Also, was hoping to see the XLE get "Push-Button" Start (which is available on Corollas in other countries). Was looking to get a "Luxury-Economy" vehicle for a 60-mile roundtrip daily commute and this might have fit the bill. :(
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,720
    You should clarify that the Corolla packages you mentioned are available in YOUR region. In other regions, e.g. Chicago region which covers the Midwest, only ONE option package on the XLE includes VSC.

Also, the Civic EX is very well equipped as-is, including moonroof, cruise, remote locking, and 16" alloys. The only major missing feature is VSA, which is reported coming to the entire Civic lineup for the 2009 MY.
  • Are power seats even available? My dealer said he could install leather seats and seat heaters but at this point it seems that now that the 09 Camry is out, a discounted 08 Camry is probably a better deal than an optioned out 09 Corolla. There isn't a huge difference in size,price or mpg. When the 2010 Camry comes out there will probably be a bigger jump between the 2 models.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    $20,560 is the LEAST expensive Corolla XLE automatic sold. *YTRMV

*Your Toyota Region May Vary

Adding alloy wheels will add least $500. VSC is NOT included for the $20,560.

So the Civic EX is a minimum of $1,000 less than XLE comparably equipped and an greater savings will be achieved based on actual market pricing.

Five speed automatic standard on Civic, not available on XLE Corolla.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Jeez, are we still comparing Civic vs Corolla?
    :sick:
    Jeez, are we still comparing Civic vs Corolla?

Would you prefer to compare it to 7030 series John Deere tractor? Jeez.

Perhaps some Toyota fanatics never consider ANY brand other than Toyota.

In order to determine the benchmark in the compact sedan segment there has to be some objective measure.

I would argue that Corolla no longer sets the standard.
  • What standard are you talking about? sales? horsepower? handling? ride quality?
    Over the years I have owned 2 Civics and 2 Corollas, the only thing that impressed me about either one was mpg,reliability,and resale....the only 3 things that even matter in cars at this level.
    Thank you.
    :shades:
    I'm guessing that we'll get the SKS and Auto Climate and possibly leather on another XLE trim in the future.

It appears that Canada is getting SKS and Auto Climate but the US is not. Can't confirm for sure but from other sites it appears that up North the options are different.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Anybody see my post about trunk space? Is it true the new Corolla has more trunk space than the 07-present Camry?
    I don't know, I haven't measured either one but the Camry trunk looks bigger than the Corolla's to me.
    Mack
  • It looks like the Civic is a better value compared to the Corolla across all their lineup. I just went and compared the Civic LX auto without option vs the Corolla LE auto without option. Price difference between the two is 500 bucks. The Corolla is cheaper but it lacks the alloy wheel, independent suspension, 5AT, keyless entry and cruise control as far as I can remember. But then again all Corolla has the "GARBAGE" all weather guard and/or extra garbage miles tucked into the car window sticker to pad the price so all in all it will offset the difference. Then again in a couple of months they're gonna lower the price through dealer incentive . Say, 1000 off plus the "correction" rebate because Toyota will get burn again after testing the water. Now this gullible Toyota fanboys will think they have a good deal here but you dont have to use a magnifying glass to find something wrong about this deal.
    Change topic. Now to all Toyota salesman posting here. It's only natural for the Corolla to be compared to the Civic. They're in the same class and it's their biggest competitor. Instead of being afraid about consumers posting their comparison result, try to do your own research about this POS waiting to happen Corolla and help us decide for it.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The 2008 Civic doesn't have stability control unless you get an Si, so you have to get a Corolla if you want that right now. There is a reasonable chance other Civics will have it by the 2009 models since the Civic is due for the mid cycle update.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    about the "are we still comparing Corolla to Civic?" comment is in many cases, Civic will be the ONLY car compared to the Corolla. If Toyota slaps a $1000 rebate or a $199/month promo lease on the Corolla beginning with the holiday sales this summer and then on through the fall, I suspect Corolla will sell as well as Civic. If not, I think Civic will pull ahead in the sales race. Corolla just isn't as good a value as it was in, say, 2003. OTOH, the '08 Civic is actually a BETTER value than the '01-03 Civic was.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

You keep bringing up this same argument everytime Toyota launches a new vehicle. Your entire complaint is not against Toyota but against the distributor GST which adds those useless 'extras'. The solution is simple, shop in another region it's done all the time.

The rest of your rant is..... well.....
    I'll have to disagree on the value statement.

This Gen10 is much a much better value than the last Gen9. It's bigger, more powerful ( slightly ) with the same fuel economy and more safety features for nearly the same price as the outgoing model. Comparing the top trim and saying 'Wow $22000 for a Corolla??' is correct but it's limited to a very small segment of the production. These model will likely are the few uber-profitable units for a few specialized demanders.

The bulk of the sales still will be in the $17000-$20000 range, meaning $15000 to $19000 after the buyers work their magic on the dealers. This is roughly the current price levels of the outgoing model. The new model is far better than the last one.
    Civic LX does NOT have alloys; the EX does but it's considerably more than the LX.

Re other comment of "only Civic Si has VSA, if you want ESC you need to get Corolla"--there's many other choices in this class that offer ESC, and with greater availability (sometimes even standard equipment) than what Corolla offers, at least in my area.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    "more powerful ( slightly )"

It gained 5% in power and 10% in weight. Buff book testing will probably find that it is actually slower with the 1.8 than the Gen 9. This, and fuel economy sidestepped as you state. It is hard to call this an improvement. If the ride is substantially better (the Toyota salesmen seem to be somewhat at odds on this score), then maybe we could say it is as good.

But inventing an XLE trim that basically mirrors the outgoing LE trim, making the new LE the old CE, and adding a "standard" trim at the bottom, is a clever way to disguise the fact that you have raised prices: people will naturally compare LE to LE and say "wow, they haven't raised prices at all!". In 2009 MY, they are still selling two of five Corolla trims (including LE) without power windows or locks? Even Honda wouldn't try to get away with that (and doesn't). And unless I am recalling incorrectly, the 2008 LE had the power package standard. Clever, Toyota, clever.

But part of what I was saying was time-specific: I was referring to the overall value of the 2003 Corolla (gen 9) in 2002/3, when it was new. I think it was a better value in summer of '02, IOW, than this '09 Corolla will be in summer of '08. The market has moved too much around Corolla, and value is relative to the rest of what's available out there.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

This Gen10 is much a much better value than the last Gen9. It's bigger,

I don't need bigger. I don't want bigger. Super sizing the Corolla does not make it a better value.

Gen 8 was the right size and Gen 9 was already getting porky.
    But part of what I was saying was time-specific: I was referring to the overall value of the 2003 Corolla (gen 9) in 2002/3, when it was new. I think it was a better value in summer of '02, IOW, than this '09 Corolla will be in summer of '08. The market has moved too much around Corolla, and value is relative to the rest of what's available out there

Yes I agree here that the last Gen was significantly better than the one before it which to me was very very plain. The sales figures reflected the difference since the Corolla passed the Civic during year 2 of Gen9....then stayed ahead of it.

I guess we'll see how the public reacts to this new Gen. There's more to this one in the features that are important to me namely, safety, roominess and quiet interior. Performance has little or no bearing, ditto handling. But the easy option to add Sat Radio, a better sound system or have BT easily accessible are additional key points why this has more value to me.
    Coming out of 4 Camry's, an LHS, a Concord and an Olds 98 my choice is for a midsizer first. Simply the Corolla and Civic were too small and rode/sound too harsh. When I was looking for a fuel efficient vehicle after Katrina I opted for the Prius simply because I had eliminated everything Corolla/Civic-sized and smaller.

Now that the Corolla is slightly bigger it appeals to me like my Gen4 Camry's did -only with better fuel economy and more amenities.
    Comparing the top trim and saying 'Wow $22000 for a Corolla??' is correct but it's limited to a very small segment of the production. These model will likely are the few uber-profitable units for a few specialized demanders.

$23,345 is the base price for XRS Corolla 5 speed auto. *YTRMV

I agree that this trim will be a small percentage of sales, however, the S and XLE both START at over $20,500 and go up from there. You can't option one for less in the Chicago region.

Even the base model is only $140 less than $17,000 with an automatic. Even so it is a decent value (maybe the best value in it's class all things considered) due to the added standard equipment.

It is the $3500 plus leap to S and XLE that make other trims less competitive and less attractive.
    Is Corolla a midsize now?

Has Yaris replaced the Corolla in as it's compact offering? Won't get into details about the Yaris other than say I don't like it and I expect Toyota is not too happy with it either.

Interesting to note Toyota changing model names almost as quickly as GM or Ford with Tercel>Echo>Yaris.

Tercel and Starlet were darn near indestructible.
    No, Corolla is not a mid-sizer, at least according to the EPA. So Toyota didn't follow the path tread by Nissan and Hyundai. Corolla is still a "compact" and Yaris is a sub-compact, and Camry is the mid-sizer, so at least it's clear where each car fits.
    Anyone else see the Corolla ad during the Super Bowl? It had a guy inside the Corolla with a wolverine (?), sitting outside a mansion. Another guy noted that if the wolverine woke up, it would eat the guy's face off. Then they fired a cannon alongside the car, and of course the wolverine kept sleeping. Then the guy's cell phone went off, and the wolverine was snarling in his face. I thought it was pretty funny. :)
    Is Corolla a midsize now?

Has Yaris replaced the Corolla in as it's compact offering? Won't get into details about the Yaris other than say I don't like it and I expect Toyota is not too happy with it either.

Interesting to note Toyota changing model names almost as quickly as GM or Ford with Tercel>Echo>Yaris.

Tercel and Starlet were darn near indestructible.

IMO ...

1) Yes, like the Prius is a midsized vehicle. Officially neither is a midsizer since both are on the smallish side but they close to the 90s midsizers.

2) Yes, again. I think that the Yaris has taken over for the base model Corolla for the $12000 - $16000 buying segment. It's very basic but no more basic than the 90's Corollas were. It too has a lot more safety features and possible amenities than those Corollas did. Here's one indication. When the Yaris first came out we'd be lucky to have 4-5 on the lot at any one time.. Now it's 40 available!!! That's Corolla volume.

We'll see but apparently someone is predicting a huge surge in small vehicle sales.
    Quarterly Yaris sales
    Q1 06.....1300 units
    Q2 06...21400
    Q3 06...29000
    Q4 06...18600
    Q1 07...19200
    Q2 07...27300
    Q3 07...22000
    Q4 07...16300
    I just saw it on MSN's review of all the commercials. It is a good spot. It fixes one single thought in the minds of those who soon will test drive the new model. 'Look for quietness inside the cabin.'
    Go out of region or order one without the options.
    The Corolla is a mid-sized vehicle? Maybe in your mind, but when I think of a "mid-sized vehicle" I think of cars like the Camry, Accord, Sonata, Fulan, Aurabu etc. that have considerably more interior room than the Corolla. Even some "compacts" such as the Sentra and Elantra have true mid-sized interior room per EPA interior room numbers, while the Corolla does not. In my mind, the Corolla is a compact sedan. That's neither bad nor good--it's what it is.