Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• i guess its the same corolla that we have seen in australian markets for a long time now. check this http://theyreviewed.blogspot.com/2007/11/2008-2009-toyota-corolla-preview-at.htm- l
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    Why offer a sporty type S with larger wheels and spoilers and yet include a little putt-putt engine in it

Toyota does offer a larger engine for the Sporty XRS model.

Sooo if you want a sporty look with better MPG buy the Sporty S with the basic engine.

However if you want a sporty look with more punch buy the Sporty XRS model.

Or buy a Honda :P
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The article says optional VSC is a new feature. This is false.
    Also, no sign if the rear center armrest they mention.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_7Y7wYO0zEmw/RyrTdPHupNI/AAAAAAAAAPo/y16ZgUx3P8U/s1600-h/- Corolla_023.jpg
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    How much power do you need in a small economy car? The main value proposition for the Corolla is ECONOMY, not 0-60 times. Besides, the Corolla may weigh less than the Civic, so the power-to-weight ratio may not be all that much different. And as noted, the Corolla is available with a 158 hp engine if you feel the need for speed.

I am more disappointed in the lack of a 5-speed automatic with the base engine than I am with 132 hp. The 5AT might help it get even better fuel economy.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I thought it was curious that the photo of the rear seat doesn't appear to have a center armrest. From the wood trim on the door, it looks to be the XLE, which certainly should have a center armrest.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    There is no word on either of these items so it might be a 'debut surprise' on the top of the line XLE trim. Wild hint/rumor ... a 2.4L XLE loaded will have a $24K+ price tag!! At that level it better have SKS and Auto Climate, Navi, JBL/BT and leather and sunroof.
    Since they are pinching pennies with the 4-speed automatic even on the XLE, you can just forget about those options. There is no reason for them to keep the availability a secret when they have announced all the other options.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    I thought I saw somewhere that these were going to be available. In fact, I remember seeing a picture of the instrument panel with a VSC light.
    VSC is going to be available, but it isn't a "new" feature for the Corolla.
    There will be no SKS or automatic climate control for US 2009 models.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Looking at Honda's website I see they list the horsepower for the 1.8L at 140 but no mention of torque is made. Torque is what gets you going, and horsepower keeps you there. OTOH Toyota lists 132hp and 128lb ft of torque at 4400rpm for the 1.8L AND Honda lists 197 hp for the 2.0L in the Si with 139lb ft of torque at 6100rpm. With this in mind let's put both the 1.8L in a street race and see what happens. The XRS has 162lbs ft of torque so I'm pretty sure it will blow the doors of the civic in the quarter mile. Torque, baby, torque....
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    You can see the torque for the civic here. It is the same 128lb ft.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/specifications.aspx

That means, the only difference between the 1.8L is the weaker Corolla engine.

As for the XRS, yeah perhaps in the quarter mile, it might get a little jump, but after that, the Si with a 197hp engine is going to blow away the 158hp engine in the XRS. I think 158 is a joke for an upgraded engine. That's only 18hp more than a standard Civic and it's estimated to get far worse gas mileage.

Again, Toyota had the time to build a car that would have better specs than a car Honda released two years ago and it chose to just put very weak engines in them.
    The 158 HP engine is due to be replaced soon. Maybe in less than 2 years.
    It is not competitive with similar sized engines from Honda and Nissan.
    It wouldn't be bad to have less power if it had a fuel economy advantage, but it doesn't.
    Again, Toyota had the time to build a car that would have better specs than a car Honda released two years ago and it chose to just put very weak engines in them.

Yep you are right and since they had that time I guess you can conclude the they did that intentionally. Now the isssue is to figure out 'Why' they did that intentionally.

These things aren't done at random or by mistake...'Oops Hey did anyone update the engine?'

If you haven;'t driven the new 1.8L it's much much nicer than the outgoing 1.8L. The 2.4l will just be a big ol motor in a small vehicle. My guess is that they will sell three of them. The other 449.997 sales will be the 1.8L. Ok a slight exageration.
    Name the other vehicle.
    ... Vehicle 'A" vs 09 Corolla
    Curb wgt ~ 3150 vs ????
    OAL ... 188.7 vs 178.7
    OAH .... 55.4 vs 57.7
    OAW .... 70.1 vs 69.3
    Whl Base ... 105.2 vs 102.4
    Engine .... 2.2L vs 1.8L
    HP-SAE .... ~125 vs 128
    FE (New) ... 21/31 vs 27/35

MSRP range $19000 to $26000 vs $17000 to $24000
    Standard safety features:
    ABS vs ABS
    2 airbags vs 6 airbags
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    "Now the isssue is to figure out 'Why' they did that intentionally."

Maybe it's a case of once burned, twice shy. Or in the case of Toyota lately, thrice burned, four, five times burned? They are taking baby steps with new models for a while, after the Camry burps and the Tundra problems. They delayed the new HL a little bit, and it seems that new model has gotten off to a solid start, so hopefully they are on the right track with the baby steps thing.

But who would have thought in 1997 that 10 years later Toyota would have to be taking baby steps to deliver new products without glitches.

I bet they will sell a few more than just 3 of the 2.4L Corollas. As long as the least expensive 2.4L models stay under $20K sticker, which I expect they will manage to do.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

As long as the least expensive 2.4L models stay under $20K sticker, which I expect they will manage to do.

Yes I assume that they probably will start the 2.4L Corolla's under $20K also. So that brings up this comparo..

Name the other vehicle.
    ... Vehicle 'A" vs 09 Corolla
    Curb wgt ~ 3150 vs ????
    OAL ... 188.7 vs 178.7
    OAH .... 55.4 vs 57.7
    OAW .... 70.1 vs 69.3
    Whl Base ... 105.2 vs 102.4
    Engine .... 2.2L vs 2.4L
    HP-SAE .... ~125 vs 158
    FE (New) ... 21/31 vs 22/30

MSRP range $19000 to $26000 vs $19000 to $24000
    Standard safety features:
    ABS vs ABS
    ..... vs VSC/TRAC
    2 airbags vs 6 airbags
    There will be no SKS or automatic climate control for US 2009 models.

OTOH...

A good find from another site. Here is the 2009 Corolla presented on the Canadian website, these pics are not on the US website.

Note the 6th pic from the left 2009 Corolla
  • You should be glad you're not buying "an economy car" 30 to 40 years ago. What was the typical engine size and HP ratings for those cars . . . around 1.2L and 60HP. You should consider yourself blessed at 158HP. It's rather amazing that we actually got around just fine, thank you, with those cars at that time, and could easily pick up speeding tickets on the freeways too.

If you want a pocket rocket, I think you're looking at the wrong car!
    Maybe they will get that in Canada or maybe the picture is an error. There is no text there describing features for Canada.
    I notice they don't show navi that's shown on all pictures of XLEs and XRSs on the US site.
    I think TMS USA is sandbagging the debut. I'd put a small wager that the top of the line XLE has it all...for just under $25000.