Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    It's very easy. The tool bar below your post has an "Img" button. First you find the graphic you want to post. Roll your cursor over it and left click on the image. Scroll down to "properties" click on it and the url will be shown. It will be something like, www.dallasmorningnews.com/romo.gif Copy the entire line then back to your post click on Img button the paste the url and click on Img again. Your graphic will appear on the post.

Here's Backy and jaxs fighting the almighty Mackabee:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Toyota sales must be kinda slow in your store, eh? ;)

BTW... how are the new Corollas selling? Similar rate to the 2008s? Better? Worse? I am curious as to whether the lack of incentives is hurting sales of the new models, since people might have been getting used to the discounts/rebates on the last generation.
    Actually they are quite nice. I sold two yesterday and two on friday. I'm off today but since I'm a smooth as butter and on a roll I might stop by and catch me another. Prius is rolling off the lots, so are Highlanders, and Siennas, Avalons, and of course Camry. The new Corolla has not gotten much advertising here so not many Corolla buyers know it's even out. So to answer your question, no not slow. And the best part of the month is still to come. We are rocking!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The "Toyota lovers" in here are doing the same things as Backy does...so what's your point? This is a forum with give and take points of view...that's the point. Many of us really enjoy all the posts on both sides, so if you don't...skip 'em. Real easy solution.
    As someone who will be in the market for two economy cars this year for my graduating girls, the information in this particular forum is what I'm looking for since one prefers the Elantra and the other likes the Corolla and Civic.
    So guys, please keep up the different points of view...I'm finding it immensely valuable!

The Sandman :)
    One thing that nobody has mentioned is brand equity. People will pay more for a brand name that has built a reputation on quality, dependability, and reliability. Sony is an example with their tv's. Compared to other brands they are more expensive. The Grammy award more than likely had an influence on the Trinitron becoming the benchmark of color tv's. Toyota has become a benchmark that other manufacturers want to emulate.
    Mack

• sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :) :)
    The new Corolla has not gotten much advertising here so not many Corolla buyers know it's even out.

Folks didn't watch the Super Bowl or read car mags in your part of the world, huh? :surprise: Maybe they are too busy cutting/pasting automated widgets onto web pages?

But maybe another Toyota sales rep can answer my specific question,i.e. how sales of the 2009 Corolla compare to sales of the 2008 model?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Personally, other than the Super Bowl, I have seen no advertising of the new Corolla whatsoever. The Super Bowl was a long time ago and a whole lot of new stuff (including a ball game) was flung at people who have short memories and many of whom were busy partying, anyway.

Seems to me it's a bit early to try to compare the sales, and I'm not sure what point that would make anyway. The 09 has just hit the streets and the 08 was the last of its generation. It's two or so months into the sales year of the new generation. I can't see how it matters how those sales compare to the last year of the old one. Let it go.

TO ALL: It is past time to drop the petty bickering in here and move on. Now, please.
    "Folks didn't watch the Super Bowl or read car mags in your part of the world, huh? Maybe they are too busy cutting/pasting automated widgets onto web pages?"

Actually, I doubt very much that the typical Corolla buyers read any of the "enthusiast" mags like CarandDriver, or Motor Trend etc. AND if they watched the super bowl they probably were too excited about the game then the commercial.

And to answer your question since spidey has not piped in, it's way too early to compare. We are just getting inventory in. We now have 10 Corollas on the lot. 6 came in today. Once we have 100 or 200 hundred on the lot as we've had with the past generation then we will know.

Mack
    "Folks didn't watch the Super Bowl or read car mags in your part of the world, huh? Maybe they are too busy cutting/pasting automated widgets onto web pages?"

Actually, I doubt very much that the typical Corolla buyers read any of the "enthusiast" mags like CarandDriver, or Motor Trend etc. AND if they watched the super bowl they probably were too excited about the game then the commercial.

And to answer your question since spidey has not piped in, it's way too early to compare. We are just getting inventory in. We now have 10 Corollas on the lot. 6 came in today. Once we have 100 or 200 hundred on the lot as we've had with the past generation then we will know.

Mack

P.S. this one's for you!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am surprised that the 2009 Corolla inventory is only to the point it is. I agree that with inventory only at 5-10% of what is typical for the Corolla, it is too early to compare sales of the 2009 to the 2008.

P.S. In addition to TV ads and magazine ads and Internet ads, I've seen billboards in some cities (I travel a lot). But maybe the Corolla ad campaign isn't fully ramped up yet.
    I predict by April or May we will be able to gauge more accurately how this will sell.
    On a different note, I parked an white S in between the two Camrys in the Camry line and it's amazing how it looks like the SE Camry. People not familiar with the new Corolla could easily mistake it for a Camry.
    I also drove it for a few minutes and did my usual test of the VSC on a cul-de-sac with no traffic. I just turn the wheel and start doing donuts with the pedal to the metal. The VSC light flashes rapidly and the beep sings loudly too! Works as advertised. You should see some of my clients face when I do this. I do tell them in advance so that they don't soil their pants. It's a lot of fun and it shows the customer the safety of this feature.
    Mack :shades:
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Nice pic.

Yes inventory is just beginning to ramp up. We've got 10 'in stock' of which 3 are in the process of being delivered. 40+ in the near future pipeline. This is a normal suppy IMO. Mack?
    You're correct. We should have plenty in stock by month's end. I predict it will be a hot seller as you also did due to the price of gas. We have two Prius in stock right now and those are now starting to fly off the lot like when they were first introduced.
    Mack
  • bob191bob191 Posts: 14
    does anybody have this system. Would you recommend it
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    I tested an '09 Corolla S model...the machine would be perfect except for one thing...I found the steering numb, with NO feedback...I wonder if any of you have felt the same sensation upon either test driving or owning this vehicle. It was quite an unpleasant surprise. I don't expect the Corolla to have the sharpest steering, but other machines in this category seem to have more feel to them, as the Mazda3 will attest. What's happened? Toyota didn't dial in enough feel in their electric power steering...not good, IMHO. :( It's a pity too, because the Corolla is NOT a bad vehicle in other respects, speaking for myself.

Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
  • mitcheelmitcheel Posts: 2
    corolla is an old toyota cow that is still giving it loads of milk...so who's complaining but surely US needs a better deal http://theyreviewed.blogspot.com/2007/11/2008-2009-toyota-corolla-preview-at.htm- l
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I have read the same complaint about other manufacturers' electric power steering.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Yes EPS is part of the wave of the future for all vehicle makers because it's simpler, lighter ( better fuel economy ) and easier to adjust/repair. toyota is among the leading innovators in changing over the vehicles we drive from basically mechanical devices to rolling computers.

But these innovations are still in the early stages and much must be learned from real-world reactions. The ECTi and ETCi and EPS and VVTi all need to be perfected model by model. I can see where there might be an artificial resistance programmed into certain vehicles to simulate hydraulic/mechanical steering whereas others such as the plush cruisers and basic commuters might just be left as-is.

After all the Corolla is basically a $17000 appliance to get from A to B, safely, time after time after time.
    There were 3 points made in this (old) article that I think may be incorrect:

* "Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC) is a new feature" for 2009. I thought VSC was available on the previous-gen Corolla?

* "A new 158-horsepower DOHC 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is available for the 2009 model." Isn't the 2.4L engine carryover from the Camry et. al.?

* "All-new 2009 Toyota Corolla and Matrix will be the first Toyota brand vehicles to offer XM Radio as a factory-equipped feature." Really? Other Toyotas e.g. Avalon, Sienna, Camry didn't offer XM radio before the Corolla did? I find it hard to believe Toyota would be so late to the game with XM radio.
    On the high grade matrix and corolla xm radio is standard, all other trims come with the satellite antenna as standard equipment.
    Yes, the 2.4l engine is the Camry's but it's new to the Corolla.
    VSC and leather were available in the last generation. Trying to find one was another story.
    :shades: Mack
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    VSC is a new standard feature for the XRS. It was optional on all 2008s.
    XM radio is a new factory installed feature on Corollas with JBL stereo. On other Toyotas, XM is dealer installed.
    Yes, I knew VSC was standard on the XRS. The article said a "new feature", not a "new standard feature." Like that "new" 2.4L engine I guess. ;)

I am really surprised there was no Toyota before the 2009 Corolla to offer factory XM radio. :surprise:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Maybe they were placating dealerships that enjoyed the revenue they received charging a premium price to install XM.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    Its kinda funny because about 1year ago (Message 831), I predicted Toyota would use the 2.4. At first, I was saying turbo... Then just say naturally aspirated. OMG it came true(not the 200hp part... and i'm unsure of the sport suspension). Either Toyota "reads" this or I'm just good at guessing... :P

-Cj
    I purchased Corolla S 2009 and while waiting for the delivery (vehicle was ordered from the factory), I found out that the OEM tires BRIDGESTONE TURANSA EL 400 according to tire rack survey wearing out at 15 000 miles. The comfort and noise is unbearable and tire perfomance ratings in wet, dry and winter condition is poor.
    I would like to get BRIDGESTONE TURANSA SERENITY OR MICHELIN HARMONY and would like to know if it is possible to negotiate this change with the dealership after the Purchase Agreement was sign. I don't mind to pay the difference in price. Is it possible to do it? Does anybody has experience in tnis matter? I will appreciate any advice.
    You're good at guessing would be my first choice.
    Mack
    ;)
    Bring it up to the sales manager or general manager. They might be willing to work something out. Just a little secret for you,..(all new cars are ordered from the factory..)
    Mack
    Thanks for the advice. How about the legal procedure. If the sales manager will not be cooperative, can I refuse to take the vehicle with junky Turanza EL 400.
    Bob