Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Okay, I stand corrected. Found on toyota.com:

MP3 jack and available leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls (XLE, S and XRS only)

I am still disappointed by the fact that

1) Not available on LE or standard
    2) Optional, not standard on XLE and above
    3) Still can't apprehend the option of a Nav model with no steering wheel audio control? (see pic in my previous post)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I have to believe that Toyota will change the tweak the equipment levels to include standard steering wheel audio controls on all trims except the base.
  • It may be all new suspension parts, but with a unit body construction I have a hard time believing it is all all new floor plan or pick-up points. This is very evidently an evolutionary Corolla. Retuned suspension is a better bet. I'd be shocked if it had independent suspension, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    for the new Matrix lists an indy rear (Corolla already has an indy front) suspension for the XRS only. But I suspect that will go for the Corolla as well, since they are so closely related, and the XRS is meant to be more distinctly the sporty model now. I wonder if the 'S' will get the IRS as well...

I think most side mouldings and certainly the nasty plood in the current Corolla LE is ugly and might pay a dealer a few bucks extra to rip it off/out. So if that makes me part of this "younger generation" that keeps getting referenced here, then I guess I'm younger than I thought.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    Here's a direct quote from the Toyota press release (emphasis mine):

But it offers an all-new body with a lean, stylish shape, and it delivers increased interior and luggage room, more power, more economical engines and an all-new chassis and suspension.

But no mention in the lengthy press release as to whether it's an independent rear suspension. So that leads me to think that either Toyota was embarrassed to admit in the press release the the Corolla is finally getting an independent rear suspension for 2009, or it's not getting one.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The all new chassis refers to the fact that it's 3" wider than the previous one so the new one had to be redesigned and retested from scratch for things like crash test worthiness and fuel economy.

Radically different not really but it is all new.
    OK, but it's not just an all-new chassis, but an all-new suspension too. Why would Toyota go to all the trouble of designing an all-new suspension that is same-old, same-old?

Or is this just marketing-speak?
  • The all new but but still old in comparison to the 2 year old Civic has "advanced" semi independent TORSION BEAM rear suspension. Now that what Toyota call all new.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    That's a wild assumption. Maybe they will make it standard on XLE and XRS or standard with nav or mandatory bundle with nav down the road.
    Steering wheel controls are needed with bluetooth, so maybe the bluetooth only comes with the JBL stereo and not the nav stereo.
    Don't expect it standard on the LE.
    Not just Civic but just about every other car in its class has an independent rear suspension. I see the accountants still reign supreme at Toyota with the 2009 Corolla. ;)
    Does the Elantra have IRS? Because less compact cars than you might think have an independent rear these days. Sentra doesn't. I don't think Cobalt does. Not sure about Focus, and I would have to go and look all these up, but it's a rare thing. Cost-cutting in the industry continues apace...

So...yes? LOL!

Yes to what? :-P

• I was answering YOUR question from the previous post! Yes, the current generation Elantra has Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) as did the previous generation.

One answers your question - and, you don't get it - amazing!
    Take it easy, colloquor, I was just having a bit of light-hearted fun, that's all.

I had a feeling that's what you meant.

Caliber and Sentra don't. Civic does. The good thing you can say about a torsion beam rear is that it is durable (for less costs to the consumer down the line) and cheaper to put in in the first place, keeping the sticker price down.

Obviously, performance-based merits are all on the side of the indy rear.

Toyota shies heavily away from giving their cars even a hint of sportiness, hence the choice to continue the torsion beam.

IMO, the thing Toyota should strive to avoid is having their compact car labelled a "cheap little appliance", an abyss they continue to skirt without quite falling into it...

• The Caliber has IRS. You must be thinking of the 80's K-car.
    They had a torsion beam rear suspension. Also the Focus and VW Rabbit have IRS.
    No, I guess I was thinking of the Neon maybe? Did that have IRS? But I digress.

I confirmed that Sentra and Cobalt have a torsion beam in the rear. Not exactly rarefied company for Corolla to be in for the next gen, to be sure.

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Is this the XLE's interior that we aren't getting?
    image :shades:
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Looks like the US version will have the cheap rotary controls now found in the Yaris and Scion xB/xD bad moove.
    :shades:
    "