Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Good story Mack..

My own is similar and how ironic ( see below ).

1989 my former company promotes me and as an officer I'm entitled to choose any vehicle under $20000 which they will buy for me outright. I'm very hot to get an Accord at that time so my wife and I go to the local Accord store ( the three children are left with the oldest as the sitter ) in North Jersey and do the whole process...lambs to the slaughter so to speak. Well the '89 Accord was very very nice and I decided to buy it. We go inside and get everything written up and as we're going over the figures there's a $2500 surcharge in the vehicle price. Huh?

'What's that?' says the neophyte.
    'Accords are the hottest vehicle on the market now. It's a market adjustment surcharge.' replies shark.
    Til now we've been like George Halas as described by Mike Ditka; i.e. we threw around nickels like they were manhole covers. All our prior vehicles were purchased preowned. The only reason that this is a new one is that someone else is buying it for us. $2500 surcharge??? That brings this $18000 Accord to over $20,500 plus NJ taxes and fees.

'I'm not paying that.'
    Now the kicker ala Mack's story.

'Well don't expect to go anywhere else and try to negotiate something better. We all talk to each other, ya know.' DING!!!!!!!!! [ thoughts of attacking slimebag scum-sucking shark are somehow repressed]

So I walk out the front door of the store across the parking lot shared with the Toyota store walk in the front door there. 'I want to test drive a Camry' 'Sure'. Cliff Notes: With an $800 discount off MSRP I drive away 2 hours later in my first new Camry at about $17500 +TTF.

Denoument: 10 Toyota's later [ 3 more Camrys, MR2 Spyder, Highlander, Prius, Solara Conv, Tacoma ( son ), Supra ( son ), Celica ( dtr ) ] I am now working in my retirement job on the other side of town from Mack selling Toyota's as he does.

I still haven't purchased my first Honda. I just enjoy keeping them well down in 3rd or 4th place.
  • howardm1howardm1 Posts: 3
    Yeah, that makes sense...darn thing is SO big...that ergonomic doesn't factor in.

Do you (or any other reader) know where I can find a softer console cover? Driving it every day now for two weeks it's a little elbow-numbing.

Again, these are all relatively trivial points; I really like the car. Hope the fellow who responded to me that the mpg will go up is right though...But I would like to be able to find a softer console cushion that doesn't look taped on...and a decent looking I pod holder I can attach too.

thanks everyone.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Great stories! I always wonder what leads people into car sales, and why they have a brand preference if they do. It has been my consistent experience over 25 years that Toyota dealers are much much easier to deal with than Honda dealers. There are bad Toyota dealerships too of course, but I have never met a GOOD Honda sales person. And what's with the "I have to come along and babysit" attitude from Honda dealers? At my local Toyota store they just toss me the keys and ask me to please limit my test drive to 30 minutes. Ditto at the Subaru store, I might add.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,747
    You could check with an auto upholstery shop, the kind that does custom interiors. Should be a relatively trivial exercise to fasion a custom padded cover (vinyl or leather) that wraps over the hard plastic one.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,747
    They are really great stories. And they save me from having to wade through the thousands of posts in the "Stories from the Sales Front Lines" discussion to get stories like that. Must be tons of stories like that in there. ;)
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Posts: 167
    I just bought a Honda Civic. It did seem a bit strange that the saleman had to not only come along, but HAD to drive the vehicle off the lot. We pulled over down the street. I was driving when we came back, though (?). I had purchased 5 new Toyotas from Thanksgiving 2000, last one 20 months ago. I wanted to try something different, thinking maybe something could happen and this would be my last new car. They tossed me the keys the last couple time I was shopping at Toyota. I don't test drive unless I'm serious, I do like to look around showrooms and open doors and kick tires when the new model year comes out. Anyway, I believe I did say I was serious, and they tossed me the keys. That was the right move. RESPECT. I remember it enough to bring it up here after 20 months.
    This time around I got the Edmunds number on the purchase, but the trade was another matter. I traded down, but my third fill-up was 40mpg, and that was the whole point.
    I live just South of Seattle. There are a good number of new Civic 2 and 4 doors on the road. There are TONS of Corollas. The reviews are nuetral at best, yet they are selling like hotcakes. The redesign has used a couple of lines that make the thing look lower and wider, and the nose is better looking, too. I think the Corolla is better looking than the Camry. Lastly, I wanted to buy a Saturn Astra, to support GM. I checked them out a couple times after they arrived. Didn't drive, just looked on the lot. I was impressed, and the 100,000 mi warranty was super. I traded an 18-19 month old Sienna, and went with the best gas mileage I could find, and it was cheaper by a couple thousand, or more, than the Astra. I do feel kinda bad. It was a bad financial deal to start with, and I just couldn't make it worse. Anyway, what I wanted to point out is this; I have seen ONE Astra in a parking lot, a little dirty, and with a lincense plate, so it was purchased by someone. That's it!!! Not a single one driving down the road. Any road, anywhere!
    Thanks for the stories!!
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Our store instituted a ride with every customer unless there is no room then we have to do a permission to ride slip. That lasted for about a week as it took to much time to copy the license, enter their information in the CRM, and then print the permit.

I always ask if they like for me to come along in case they have some questions. 99% of the time they tell me to come along.
    :)

:shades:
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Almost all of the times that I've test driven a car, the sales guy drives it off the lot. I don't understand the logic behind that.
  • veldevelde Posts: 17
    I was told by a salesman at Hyundai recently that they are liable if you hit a customer walking through the parking lot while they are weaving in and out between the cars as they are browsing, so they hand over the wheel to you once you are free of their property.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Well, I live near San Francisco, and I have to say that about half the cars on the road around here are Civics or Corollas. I have noticed the '09 Corolla in large numbers on our streets already, but I don't think they are outpacing Civics (the new style) that still have the dealer sticker instead of a license plate.

I, like you, went to check out Astras recently because I had looked forward to their arrival eagerly. The EPA rating on the stick is 24/32, which is only a little worse than Civic/Corolla, and the drive was pretty nice. I wasn't moved to trade early, but I will keep them in mind next time I do trade. Also similar to you, I have yet to see ANY Astras on the roads here. It will be a shame for GM if this thing totally flops, as it is a car worthy of consideration. I would argue that it is at least as good a deal, and with a nicer interior and better moves on the road, than the '09 Matrix.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I think that's what I was told. Slipped my mind in all the excitement.
    Just got back from a 790 mile road trip. Averaged 42 +, that's with 4 mountain passes, only one of which was on an Interstate. That's for my new home forums, I guess. ;)
    I test drove a Civic LX and Vibe base w/2.4 and Auto. Had rented an xD for a day a couple of weeks prior. One gear short, but I think the Scion would have been the best $$ factoring in the Trade. Thought the Vibe was best looking. It was more $ and higher interest, but had more features, as the Civic LX has drum brakes and no tractiojn/stability control and a smaller engine with less torque. Civic felt better, so Astra probably would have, too. Wish GM well with it! I was all over my state today, and didn't see an Astra. Fair portion of the just under 800 miles were in the less populated areas, though.
  • harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    So how long would the wait be? Guess if you can?
    "So how long would the wait be? Guess if you can?"

Your guess is as good as mine right now. We don't have any new Prius on the lot and there is/are none on our next month's allocation. I figure we might have seen the last of the 08's. The factory in Japan is gearing up (no pun intended) for the 09 which will have a slightly bigger power plant and Hybrid synergy drive system and is rumored to get 80mpg. Stay tuned. I'll post more when I get the scoop.
    Mack
    Whoooooaaaaa, Mack.

None of that is accurate on the Prius. The new 09's which will be here in Sept/Oct will be exactly the same as the 08s. Zero difference. It's the 2010 MY Prius' which will have the changes. These should arrive next summer, i.e. 14 months from now.

They will have a more powerful powerplant but they will get nowhere near 80 mpg. There may be a 10-20% improvement over the 48 mpg of the current Gen2's which would bring the effective fuel economy to 55-60 mpg for most drivers.

Check PriusChat...
  • cz75cz75 Posts: 210
    You'd think Toyota would've wanted to try harder than try to compete with this loser against the Mazda3 or Civic, but alas it must be an urban myth because they sure didn't.
    "You'd think Toyota would've wanted to try harder than try to compete with this loser against the Mazda3 or Civic, but alas it must be an urban myth because they sure didn't. "

Loser? The Corolla is whipping both the Mazda and Civic, and Sentra, and Aveo, Fit, etc.etc.etc....Loser?
    :shades:
    I haven't seen anything to the contrary coming from Toyota. Word has it we are getting two new hybrids later this year. One for us and one for Lexus. ;)
    Mack
  • jendanandjendanand Posts: 1
    How do I cancel the auto door lock function on my 09 Corolla LE with the smart key system?
  • harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    Hard to call the Corolla a loser. They'll sell every single one without an incentive and it will probably be in the top five in sales. But they could have made it a little more exciting I think.

Looking for a loser...trying the new Ford truck.
    LOL..amazing what those who know nothing can post...

It was the No 2 vehicle in the US last month. I'll take that 'loser' any day. Facts are your friends try them once in a while they keep you from posting foolish drivel.

Back under the bridge troll.
    The announcement is going to be made by the CEO, Mr Watanabe, at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2009. At that time he's going to intro the new Prius and the new Lexus hybrid both of which should arrive next summer. That Prius is the one that's going to be different. Figure 14 months from now.

That info is all confirmed by Toyota.
  • dvsuttondvsutton Posts: 48
    Just when I thought Toyota couldn't build anything Fuglier than the FJ and the Camry, the come out with the Corolla. Now I know why I stay away from Toyotas altogether. (Besides engine sludge cover ups.)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Fuglier What is the definition of this word?
  • jilliewjilliew Posts: 48
    I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone with my "loser" (Corolla XLE). I live in No. Ca. I'm very bad at checking mileage but my Garmin Nuvi 650 did it for me. My average MPG for the trip was 46.2. I never drove over 65 mph and was able to use the cruise control most of the time. I was gone 13 days, 8 of them spent in the driving the park every day doing photography. My gas bill for the whole trip was $382 The ride was no less comfy than my Subaru Outback and having the XM radio was quite nice. I'm really enjoying this little car and hope to have it for a long time. :)
    Which Toyota? Toyota Japan, Toyota USA or CAT?
    Mack :shades:
  • robbiegrobbieg Posts: 327
    I think GM has priced the Astra too high. Here in Pittsburgh, we see tons of Civics and Cobalts. However, I have seen one Astra on road.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You can use various resources on the internet to look it up, but let me ask that people not define it here (again). It very likely will cause your post to be removed. :)
    Toyota Torrance and Toyota Japan.
    E-mail me a copy.
    :)