Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Have a nice life angry at the world..

Did you miss the statement from the Owner's Manual '...or equivalent...', that's all that they ( the service dept ) or you have to conform with. As Mackabee said if you're not satisfied with the FREE OIL CHANGE, then in the future DIY. If your experience with having someone else do your service in the past is that it gets screwed up then DIY.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    Oh certainly, terceltom: no dealership installing synthetic is pulling it out of a bulk container. I was referring to dino oil only. I made the assumption that the '09 Corolla uses dino oil.....surely Toyota has not started specifying SYNTHETIC? FOR THE COROLLA??!! I would be a little incredulous in that case. I think customers would complain at the consequent high cost of oil changes.

If it IS dino as I suspect, then I stand by my original comment. Certainly my local dealership uses Havoline 5W20 out of the "tub" for oil changes in my Matrix.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    RTFM????

Read the Ford Manual

For a Toyota?
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    It's an old navy saying. RTFM, read the frigging manual. Usually found under:

"Maintenance schedule"
    1. Do it yourself items.
    :shades:
    I work for a dealership that sells Toyotas.
    I work for a dealership that sells Toyotas.
  • n A Perfect World

There would be a large window next to every car being worked on and the friendly mechanic would explain everything he/she is doing...and even tilt the car if necessary so you can see what they are doing.

Oil would have a different color for each type so you would instantly know what has been put in your car.

Car washes would not only clean your car, but fill in the rock chips.

Dealers would rotate your tires for free because they never have a backlog of people waiting to have their cars worked on.

Oil filters would always be the screw on type. Lets keep everything on the engine the same from now on.

Democrats and Republicans would agree to do whats best for our country.
    (Sorry, I got carried away)
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Pretty easy to make light of this subject when it's not your brand new $20,000.00 car, huh?! I know if this happened to me I would be pi**ed. I don't think it's asking to much for a dealership to put in the correct oil in your car when you take it in for an oil change, or to dry your car after washing, do you?
    Synthetic can be had "out of the tub" also. Why couldn't it? And why would you be surprised that it would be used in a Corolla? It's really not that much more expensive than dino considering you get longer intervals between oil changes.

Let's say Toyota brings back the MR2 with the 1.8L dual vvt-i engine that is now in the Corolla. Do you put synthetic in now because it's now an MR2? ;)
    I don't think they would put the "wrong" type of oil in to begin with. There is not much difference between 5w-20 and 5w-30 and it's not going to hurt the engine in anyway. Oil viscosities are recommended based on the lowest extreme and highest extreme ambient temperatures the car is going to be subjected to.

Dealerships get their oil in bulk and it goes in an 88 Tercel same way as it does in an 08 Landcruiser. Most dealerships that "wash" your car do just that. Spray it with soapy water then rinse, and let it air dry.
    Personally, I look at the oil dipstick after the oil changes. If it looks a nice clean honey color then I'm done until the next one. Oh, and if I don't think they changed the filter I look for the tell tale mark on it. I always specify that my tires be set at 30 in summer and 32 in winter and I make sure they write it on the repair order so it gets done.
    If all I'm getting is a free wash and not a complete detail and I don't like it then I tell them to skip the wash. No need to get all ballistic about it. Must be tough going through life like that.
    Until someone figures a way that you can drive your car up to the service lane and input all you want done into a computer terminal then a robot comes over and takes your car and everything is done by machines and not humans then we will just have to live with what we got. ;)

There.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    It is okay if people report their bad experiences here. Let's let them do that without continuing to bash them for it. None of us were there except for the poster.

The "defense" has been made by a couple of you several times now, so let's move on.

Thank you.
    Hmm, usually Toyota dealers don't carry synthetic in bulk because they don't go through it the way they do with dino oil. My local dealer doesn't have synthetic in bulk. I could see if it were a Lexus dealer or something, where some of the cars specify synthetic, but what Toyotas use synthetic?

Have you actually gone back to the service department where you work and asked them if they carry synthetic in bulk in the service bay for oil changes?

And I will bet you that Corolla will NEVER use synthetic, unless every model on the market goes away from dino. Synthetic is expensive, and we have the public too well trained for those 3000-mile or 5000-mile OCIs. ;-)

Synthetic oil changes often cost twice the price of dino changes - people WOULD complain. You realize lots of owners are looking for any deal that will save them a dollar or two over the standard $29.95 price, right?

Edit: I just checked, and even the BRAND NEW LEXUS LS uses dino oil. They ask that if you switch to synthetic, that you not do so until 5000 miles, that you not go back, and that you mantain the 5K-mile OCIs even with the synthetic!!

No, I predict it will be a long time (if ever) before Toyota specifies synthetic for a Toyota-brand vehicle.

Read my post again. I never said all Toyota dealers carry synthetic oil in bulk but the ones that do have it in bulk. Some customers request synthetic and bring their own when the dealerships don't provide it.
    Yes, I walk back there all the time. We have regular oil in bulk. 5W30 and it gets put in in ALL Toyotas as that is what is required by our temperature changes in our area.
    I'm not advocating the use of synthetic oil in any car unless a person wants it and that's their choice whether they drive an Echo or a Lexus LS. Synthetic oil was developed to provide longer intervals between oil changes and some claims of better mpg and less wear on the engine, nothing more, nothing less. Most people could care less aboout it if it's going to cost them twice as much. If you want to argue all day long be my guest. I just don't have the time.
    :shades:
    This is funny or ironic. I sold a Prius to a legally blind man last year. His wife drives it so I think we are ok.
    In all my years of driving I don't think I've come across a blind person crossing a street. Don't they have seeing eye dogs anyway?

Which reminds me;
    A couple of weeks ago I was heading home and Mrs. Mack calls me and tells me to stop by the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk. Not wanting to go out of my way for a gallon of milk I stop at the closest 7-11. I walk in and head back to the coolers to look for the milk when I see a blind man and his seeing eye dog walk in. He stops in the middle of the store and then grabs the dog's leash and begins spinning the dog over his head. I'm stunned and so is the clerk behind the desk!! 'Excuse me sir! Can I help you??!" exclaims the clerk in disbelief.
    "No thanks. I'm just looking around." replies the blind man. image
    Now I'm totally confused as the dealer I just bought my "09" XLE from told me to use the synthetic oil of 0W-20 as this is what they use for the new Corolla's. In fact he gave me one bottle and it does have a Toyota label on it, not Mobil or any other Co. My wife has the car or else I would check the manual. I have an unlimited/no cost supply of this synthetic grade of oil so I guess I will take the dealers advice and use this when I start doing my own oil changes again with this new car.
    No need to be confused and don't bother the wife. :blush:

Stay with me here. Go to link title On the left side of the screen click on the Corolla picture where it says iGuide. This will bring up everything you ever wanted to know about your Corolla. Even the owner's manual is in here. Get familiar with the features. It's going to ask you which Corolla trim level you have. In your case choose XLE then configure your options such as the Jbl stereo, cruise control, VSC, etc. You can access your owner's manual by scrolling all the way down on the left of the iGuide, click on iGuideresources and then "owner's manual". Go to section 4-3 Do it yourself maintenance and checking oil. You will see 5w20 and 0w20 listed. and also the graph I mentioned about the temperature guidelines. They do state the 0W20 is the best choice for better fuel economy and cold weather starting. So I would use this one in Minnesota or states where it gets really cold in the mornings or at night. There's all kinds of good stuff on the site. Videos explaining how to use some of the features you may not be familiar with and other goodies. Check it out!
    Mack
    :)
    Mack,
    Thanks for your help, isn't the internet wonderful? Even though I live in the North East I'll still use the 0W20 synthetic blend. As I stated I do have an unlimited supply of this synthetic blend available, plus it sounds like it will optimize my gas mileage as well.
    It is, isn't it? I would use it also right from the beginning. Enjoy your Corolla.
    :)
  • My S corolla has around 18000 miles abolutly no knocking. Very quiet and smooth running engine.
    And you were expecting an engine knock at only 18k miles, why?
    Maybe at 218,000 miles!
  • i just bought a Corolla and the first road trip 4hours each way was not pleasant. the steering is over responsive. just as you describe the car drifts or hunts what ever you want to call it. i work with mechanical things every day and i'm not opposed to improvements but driving this car is not fun like a new car should be. i have been to the dealer, of course the car is in perfect alignment and tire pressure is correct. The car is performing as designed. The best the dealer can do is let me trade it back with a 1000 miles. i'm sure thats not going to be pretty. :(
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    There was a small adjustment on the feel at first but after 6500 miles no issues here you may want to give it some more time. I do have to ask did you not test drive it a couple of times to see any issue. Good luck hope it turns out for you

MNF
    I was very hesitant about buying a 2009 Corolla because of what I have read about the electronic steering also, but this steering issue has turned out to be non-exixtant for me.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    I have over 3000 miles and have no issue with the steering. Great mpg!
  • Seriously...don't have buyer's remorse over the elantra. My boyfriend has the 2008 elantra and I have the corolla 2009. He really wishes he had the corolla instead. He has 15,000 miles on his car and it has been in the shop twice...he had a squeaking noise coming from his front tire and needed a strut adjusted ANd he was leaking fluid which had to be fixed. He also had his trunk release from his keyless entry fixed as that stopped working.
    NOW I will admit I actually like the interior of his car much better....it feels less "cheap" and has a nice design (a great improvement compared to my previous 2000 elantra). However, I will take reliability anyday of the week. My life is too busy to be running to the repair shop.
    Plus I want something that is going to last for a while...my 2000 elantra's transmission went at 105,000 miles and had numerous other issues which really made me want to NOT buy another hyundai!! With the cost of cars nowadays I really don't want something that dies on me soon after it is paid off!!
    How's your paint holding up? Others are having some serious paint chipping on their new 2009 Corollas.
  • I find it hard to believe that there are people who dont have any issues with the EPS. I sold my 09 S due to the steering, purchased a Mazda 3 and couldnt be happier.
  • jilliewjilliew Posts: 48
    Over 4k and never a problem. Steers just fine. Different than my Subaru Outback and took a couple of days to adjust to it, but that would pertain to any new car.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    EPS and DBW are both the future of all vehicles. They're simpler, lighter, more reliable and easier to fix.

But they are different.

One of the benefits to debuting such technology in this market is that it is so very HUGE. Your perception of the EPS may be very valid and may apply to all car/driving enthusiasts. However 10 times as many drivers may not care one single whit about the EPS 'feel'. As long as it performs and gets from A to B and doesn't cost a dime to maintain and fix then it's a winner for that group of buyers.
    Your perception of the EPS may be very valid and may apply to all car/driving enthusiasts. However 10 times as many drivers may not care one single whit about the EPS 'feel'

Hehehe, so IOW Toyota is dumbing down its vehicles until it gets down to the level of dumbness of the typical American car buyer, or what? LOL :-P