Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
Just for fun, I predict the engine won't grow a lot in the next generation. Probably 4.5 or 5.0 maximum. They're probably just gonna make it very aerodynamical and give it a very good automatic transmission so that the car can accelerate fast without too much horsepower (being economic and not very polluting) like the current car. But just see how it's fantastic: it only needs 290 horsepower to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 6.6 seconds even if its heavy and kind of square. Just compare to the Q45 from Infiniti: it has 340 hp (50 hp advantage!) and just manages to do 0-100 km/h in 7.2 seconds. Anyway, I hope they make the new LS more sexy this time because I know Lexus is able to do it but just doesn't want to.

Comments

• boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    Well with their new styling direction, it's bound to be more "sexy"
  • jvcnjvcn Posts: 50
    I hope not but fear you are right. The LS appeal to me is its stately and restrained elegance. Especially the LS400. I feel Lexus already started down the wrong track with the LS430, although it's still very good.

The concept car pics just frighten me. They listen to all these critics who say It should be more sexy, It should have more oomph, It should be more BMW like in suspension.

I say, A pox on these critics.

Let Lexus be Lexus. Play with the GS if you like but please leave the top of the line as the world's best, most reliable, most refined, and most comfortable luxo cruiser.

Oh well, a "Sexy" 2007 LS will just mean more high quality used 1998-2000 LS400s and LS430s for me to buy cheap.
  • The next-generation LS sedan should take evolutionary design cues from the second generation LS 400, which after nearly a decade, continues to epitomize unpretentious luxury and elegance. While an interesting design in its own right, the LS 430 lacks the graceful verve of the LS 400, especially in the greenhouse and grille designs.
  • Looks very good.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    I don't see any picture....just a pic that says "imagestation.com" and "Sorry".
  • I could see it when I posted my previous post but now I can't see it anymore. It was nice though.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    You can provide a link to the photo, which generally works better anyway. Seems that the photo now appears, though.

here's the link

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• barry5barry5 Posts: 49
    As I have written before the LS 430 is a pig in snow an strikes fear in we North Easterners when snow is forecast. I believe the LS 430 is the best automobile made, however if you take it out in snow check your life insurance policy. I am considering an 2005 Acura RL. Its an advanced car with AWD but their is no ride like a Lexus.
  • The only real weakness the car has is curb appeal. And even now it outsells 745 and S500 two to one! So who knows how Lexus will respond to a market that seems to fully appreciate what a great car the LS is already.

DrFill
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    I don't think thats the photo of the next LS. That artist's impression was passed around the internet as the next GS.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Recent news can be found in the link provided in the post below:

deanedell, "Lexus LS" #6720, 21 Dec 2004 11:38 am
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    That picture is definitely LS. According to car and driver as of this month, the car will debut with a new 5.0L engine as LS500.
  • jvcnjvcn Posts: 50
    If that's true, then the Blingers have taken over.

I guess the world really is coming to an end.

Happy New Year.
    Does anyone here think this spy pic of the 2007 LS is real ?

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/3486/06is3009oa.jpg
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    Hum, I can't tell but this looks like a GS. I know I can't read Japanese but it's written 4.5, 4.6 and 5.0. This could tell the engines displacement.
    That certainly could be a possibility. The LF-S is supposed to signifiy where Lexus is going with the '07 car.
  • Unfortunately, we all know what the GS will look like for a while!

Drfill
    I like the new GS's looks a lot better than both the '93 and the '98 version, neither of which aged (or sold) well a few years after their introductions. The interior also finally looks worth the price tag as well.
    I saw the 2006 GS300 in person and although it didn't give me any itch to get behind the wheels and drive one, it wasn't repulsive either. Kinda typical Lexus - bland.

OTOH, any e39 moves my spirit, if only they are more reliable than the Lex... But I am still gonna buy a 330ci when the kids leave forCollege in like 5 yrs from now.
  • And a hybrid that produces V10 power with V6 economy.

But in the same breathe they said the IS will debut in Tokyo not Geneva, so their sources aren't golden.

DrFill
    Funny, I see several 3 series every day, and I dont even give them a second glance. The M3 definitely has some sex appeal, but the regular cars just make me yawn, at least style wise.
    You are right, the 3 is as common as the cold/flu, BUT I still like it as the single sole remaining non-Banglized Bimmer. Equally more important, is that it remains a benchmark for the class and the 330 is at the top of that heap. Having driven this car several times, I am sold on buying one. The only thing that may change that is if the IS350 is competitive (ride, handling, performance), a good looker and priced right. Otherwise, my money goes to the Bimmer.
  • Wasn't the styling of the 1993-1998 GS derived from a rejected Jaguar Kensington concept car?
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    I think I have the right thing:

2007 LS would have:

- a new 4.7 V8 for base models (coming from the LF-A, detuned to 360hp)

- OR a new 4.5 V8 (330hp)

- a new hybrid 4.5 V8 simulating the power of a V12 (550hp)

- OR the LF-A's 4.7 + hybrid (600hp)
    I like to drive a 3 series, but I wouldnt really want to own one. Dont you still get stuck with a tape deck and REALLY poor NAV system? Oh and something like 11 cu.ft of trunk space? The '05 G35x is my pick of the segment until the IS350 possibly displaces it.
  • The new one should have at least 350HP, but any hybrid wouldn't add more than 100HP, at the absolute most.

I think they'd sell 50HP to get Accord Hybrid mileage (29/37 or better!)

Do they need a V10 or V12 with superpowered hybrids? I doubt it.

DrFill
    Yeah Lexus is still working on being able to compete with the AMG 5.5L V8, let alone their new 6.0L twin turbo 12 "65" engine. I agree Lexus is more interested in class leading fuel economy than Mercedes horsepower insanity.
    Don't need no stinking NAV in a 3-er. I want to drive the car not live in it. Now, if you are talking about the LS, that is another story entirely. I want it all loaded up with all the gadgets. It is my pleasure cush-mobile.

Currently, I have an '03 Matrix which is a lotta fun to drive with the "Rolla engine. When I drive that car, I am like a 17-yr-old boy-racer, not a 40+-old middle-aged guy.

The 2007 LS will have a SWB 4.6L engine turning out 350-ish bhp. I'll expect a 5.7-5.9s 0-60. The LWB version + hybrid should be close to 500bhp (350 gas + 100 battery), and should be mid-5s 0-60. This car will probably retail close to $90K, going against the 760 and the S500. The *regular* SWB model should be in the mid-70's price-wise.