Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well Autospies finally lives up to their name. Interesting marketing info. I wonder how Lexus feels about this being splashed across the net. Anyway, the graphic really lays out what Lexus is all about. The 1M number for New Values in "Mainstream Luxury" is of particular interest. I guess that is where they see the market going volume wise, because they can hardly sell a million cars themselves.

M
  • manegimanegi Posts: 110
    Yesterday's Nikkei reports that Lexus has 8,000 advance orders in hand for LS460.
    I expect at least a six month lead time before delivery (in Tokyo), at least for 2007.

My dealer is trying to push GS450H as an alternative, but after reading the initial reviews of the 8-speed beast, GS450H seems to be like a limp rag....
  • nexuslexusnexuslexus Posts: 147
    So I guess this confirms that the price for the 600 will not be in the 100's.. more likely in the 80's.. They can't sell 1500 100,000 dollar cars.
  • nexuslexusnexuslexus Posts: 147
    Where does the article confirm that there will be AWD on the LS460?
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Lexus will NOT sell 100k units above $70k WITHOUT the LS460, so it's one of those read between the lines type of presentations.

A car this good doesn't need a $25k price break compared to a S550, obviously it's primary competition.

Anyone who is buying a 750 or A8 over a $70-75k LS460L is buying an INFERIOR vehicle. The 7 has best-in-class handling, but the iDrive cancels that advantage out, as Lexus has said, Lexus is a huge winner since BMW forced that on the people.

AND the 7 has gone from the best-looking car (1995 generation) to worst-looking car in swoop! The LS has passed it by in tech, power, looks, and lux!

The 7 is a Non-Factor! :P

The only vehicle that can touch the LS460 is the S, and the S will have it's hands full there.

$70k is the right price to start because Lexus would have NO COMPETITION there!

It would be like A-1 Stake Sauce dropping it's price to $3.

Why bother? Who are they afraid of?

This is one of lifes easier questions.

Come on, people! :mad:

DrFill
  • atlas7atlas7 Posts: 126
    The 450H is a great car, but as I understand it, the dealers are only getting 1-2 450H's per month. Anyhow the LS and GS are apples and oranges.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,257
    Hello everyone! Yes we have been in Seattle since Tuesday visiting our son and his wife. As an added bonus, we are going to see my beloved Red Sox (all you Yankee fans shut up ;-)) play the Mariners tonight.

I see that the latest reviews and information sound very exciting for the LS 460 and the LS 600hL. nexuslexus, I'm pretty sure I read on the article that the LS460 will indeed have the LWD option available early in 2007. I am so excited about the LS (I'm on the list for the LS600hL), I can't see straight ;-).
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Welcome back, Gary... You have been sorely missed around here.

As to the LS pricing, my dealer gave me a song-n-dance story of a $72K list on a SWB, but he could not tell me what options are on such a car, so I dismissed his price as pure speculation. We have also heard rumors to the mid-60 starting price. My forecast is a $67K list for an LS460 SWB with Premium Package (upgraded 19-spkr ML/Nav), which will only be a $5K jump from an '06. That would be one heck of a deal considering what you get for that $5K hike.

For you, Gary, you should opt for the LWB which gives you the "Sport Package", otherwise called the "Grand Touring Package" - bigger brakes & pads, 19" wheels, and upgraded air suspension made stiffer. It would set you back probably around $75K (list) for those goodies, IMO, which will be additional to all the goodies you already had on the SWB. And pls take note: you can turn OFF the electronic stability nanny... goodie... Imagine Lexus putting this in their big sedan and NOT in the actual "sport sedans" the IS and GS ? Strange !!!!

BTW, Motor Trends' LS460 Preview/First Drive had LOTS of great things to say about the handling, performance and ride of this car. With the ability to turn OFF the nanny and equipped with the optional sport-tuned suspension, they really put the car through its paces, and the results were excellent for this big sedan. The 600hL is a car they feel will give the Germans fits priced in the $90s.... They estimate the 460 series b/w 60- 72K 'base' pricing. Guess we'll see soon enough.

I want the "base" LS460 (with Premium Package), and I am willing to pay the mid-60s to get it. I hope Lexus builds some in that price range.
    There is comment about it in the Autoweek review:

But the hybrid 600h will have all-wheel drive, and snow country folks will be glad to hear awd is to become available in the LS 460 as well.

details link title
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    That slide shows Lexus sale will be more than MB and BMW combined! WOW!
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    You know the Lexus target in 2001 was 25,000 sales and they got 36,000. They are always conservative with their estimates of LS sales. I see them selling 40,000+ with this car.
  • I read about the LWB option of a dedicated rear climate control system. Why is this needed when there are already individual controls for rear passengers standard?
    Seems like a waste of money and space, when it is stated that it eats 6 cubic feet of trunk space.
    It would seem that someone who goes for such an option would not be happy with a honda civic sized trunk (12 cubic feet)
  • How much do you think a LS460 L with everything but the Executive Pack, cost? I also wanted to know when the Pre-Crash safety system was going to be available in the US(if at all).

BTW, here is a neat vid & review of the LS460.
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/clips/lexus-self-parking-car-video-and-review-196551.- - php
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I'm not surprised Lexus came out with it first. I am surprised it works so well..... :surprise:
  • I think its a neat feature. But according to Gizmondo
    self parking requires a spot with 6.5 ft. more than the length of the car. A spot with this much space seems quite easy to park yourself. Perhaps its a matter of perception. Now a real trick would be those tight San Franscisco spots that often have less than 2ft.
    That's only 3 feet in front and back. Not bad precision from how I see it....
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    The feature seems nice, but the car in the video looks like it had about 90 feet of parking space. I'm wondering what happens when the space is compromised and the tolerance is exceeded. Also, what determines if the feature is useable or not when approaching the limit? Is it failsafe or do you wind up in some sort of a precarious situation? Can’t wait to see the geniuses in sales demonstrate this.
    No doubt, it'll be somewhat imperfect, as new as it is, but if we can guide missiles, I'm sure there's a way to park a car. Probably just too expensive now.
    A news mag is claiming the LS600h and its LWB version will come with 444HP and have almost 30mpg combined fuel efficiency. Production version unveiled September 28 in Paris.

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/2006/august/28/11161.asp
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,257
    This would be pretty incredible if true. Can you imagine this kind of a vehicle getting about 30 mpg combined? Wow!!

Do they mean 12cm longer than the base LS460 or is it 12cm longer than the LS460L?