Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I am not in the camp who would likes to donate money to Lexus so they can be at the same price of the German cars. I'll take the bargain aspect thank you. I prefer to see a car offered for as little money as possible and add options as I like them, as easily as putting groceries in a shopping cart. This goes without saying for any car whether it's luxury or economy.

This business of rooting for Lexus to raise their prices boggles my mind. Cost is one of their advantages. HELLO!!!

Well said.

One of the things that gets to me, however, is the way some manufacturers (in this case I'll be objective enough to point a finger at one of my favorites, MB) price the options through the roof.

By the time you are done adding even a moderate amount of options, the base price and the final equipped price are miles apart.

TagMan
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    some manufacturers (in this case I'll be objective enough to point a finger at one of my favorites, MB) price the options through the roof.

By the time you are done adding even a moderate amount of options, the base price and the final equipped price are miles apart.

IMO the MB options are expensive in part because they are available a la carte.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    IMO the MB options are expensive in part because they are available a la carte

That is assuming you want a whole slew of options la carte(in that case a package is a bargain). But if you dont then why should you be obligated to pay for what you dont want?

This is why I like the way BMWs are priced. The only option I will buy from BMW is the sport package that does not cost BIG $$$. Like many others I do cherish my pocket book.
  • ideleidele Posts: 200
    One gets very worthwhile fuel efficiency. My GS450h is 42% more fuel efficient than a comparable Audi V8 I had a few years ago. This by itself is definitely not a reason to buy a performance hybrid. I regard fuel efficiency and the exceedingly low pollution as a bonus because the performance aspects of this Lexus hybrid are so superior. If you think hybrids are a "craze" don't buy one. The GS450h is in very short supply and surely the LS600h will also be. I want them sold to those that can appreciate their numerous virtues.
    The GS450h is in very short supply and surely the LS600h will also be. I want them sold to those that can appreciate their numerous virtues

The GS450H is in short supply because it is not produced in large supply to begin with. The short supply of the hybrid GS has nothing to do whatsoever with hot demand.
    That is assuming you want a whole slew of options la carte(in that case a package is a bargain). But if you dont then why should you be obligated to pay for what you dont want?

People in that position aren't "forced" to buy anything from Lexus. They can turn to the Germans, as you have.
  • Having packages are more economical even if you do not use the options. Most if not all luxury cars will have similar equiped options (one that most people want). If you decide to pick and choose, you will likely have to order your car. In that case, you will not have a bargaining edge when the car is not on the lot. In essence, you will be paying a premium (MSRP or higher).

A good example is ordering a manual transmission on a vehicle that 99% of the time comes in automatic. Believe me, you will be paying a premium even if the manual transmission costs less than the automatic.
    People in that position aren't "forced" to buy anything from Lexus. They can turn to the Germans, as you have

True. Cant argue with that. The option of choosing another auto maker is the best option of all.
    If you decide to pick and choose, you will likely have to order your car. In that case, you will not have a bargaining edge when the car is not on the lot. In essence, you will be paying a premium (MSRP or higher).

In other words it becomes a question of paying for what you really dont want ( a package) and paying for what you really do want (a la carte).
  • nexuslexusnexuslexus Posts: 147
    About the manual- that is not really true in all cases. For example, the BMW X3 comes by far most often with an automatic trans, but it is a cost-option.
    Well I'm happy with the supply being greatly restricted. That certainly helps keep the residual value of my car high. Checking on AutoTrader cars with mileage at or near mine (2400 miles) are selling at list. So why should I care if Lexus is not meeting demand; your post is irrelevant. As far as I can tell, Lexus can't be making much profit on them; for example, check the current price of nickel used in the batteries. I think Lexus is correct in keeping the performance hybrids limited editions; even better, if they were severely limited editions. I'm looking forward to my LS600h and hoping only the cognoscenti get their hands on them.
    Well I'm happy with the supply being greatly restricted.

You make the hybrid GS sound like a limited edition Ferarri.

The reality is that the low volume sales of a hybrid GS has more in common with the low volume sales of a Honda Insight. Both cars are produced in low volumes not because of prestige but because of limited demand.
  • Agreed on not paying for options you don't want. However, my point was simply on the user flexibility of it--if you don't want a feature, don't use it. Park Assist is not iDrive. Lots of standard features on luxury cars these days are ones that only certain people use, and many are those that drivers don't use/don't know/forgot about with no problems.

And supposedly the user customizability of options on the Mercedes is what adds cost. Overall, the packaging does cost extra money on an individual basis, but supposedly it is less expensive overall for the cost of manufacturing the car. Packaging may mean lower prices overall.

And as for the GS450h, there is more exclusivity to it than the Honda Insight, by far. For instance, the Neiman Marcus versions of the GS 450h which sold out in a matter of hours upon release, similar to the Saks Fifth Avenue versions of the new S-class. The added expense of the GS 450h, a hefty premium indeed, plus its packaging of many features optional on other GS vehicles, makes it a niche vehicle.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I agree on iDrive. It hijacks the buyer. If you don't like it you are forced to tolerate it if you must have a high-end BMW.
    My crystal ball says the LS 460 base price is $64,700.
  • how much do you think an ls460 l would cost(everything but the executive package)? hopefully less then 85k.
    I think you and everyone else are going to be pleasantly surprised, that is, everyone but those who for some strange reason want to see these cars priced on par with MB.
  • If the MSRP is that, and I think that is a good guess, it already represents a hefty markup from the LS 430. Lexus is starting to price itself higher and higher.

I'm somewhat surprised by their forecast for 30% LS 460 L sales, I think in the US it'd be much higher, but perhaps the price figures into that equation.
    I'm somewhat surprised by their forecast for 30% LS 460 L sales, I think in the US it'd be much higher

Agreed, I think a majority of 7 sales in the US are LWB.
    Your comparison of demand for the Honda Insight with that for the GS hybrid doesn't make sense
    The Honda Insight is called a "hybrid" but it is not a true hybrid ("true" as defined by the UN; the Toyota /Lexus hybrids are the only ones with power by either engine or electric motor or by both ) and the Honda Insight is certainly not a performance hybrid. You could compare the Honda Insight to the Toyota Prius (a true hybrid but not a performance hybrid) Priuses generally have an 8 day average dealer supply the lowest of all mass produced cars and demand is high.The demand for Honda Insights is small because it's an inferior car and its supply matches the low demand. Demand for the GS hybrid is unknown; we just know it is in short supply.