Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultimate AWD Sports Sedans

Comments

• A greenpea hit me up.... he offered, but I declined.. This is in a real busy shopping area.. on a Saturday...

It is really nice looking... In the same way that the new TT looks better than the old TT... I think the adaptive settings are only available on the S-line model, which they didn't have yet...

Longer wheelbase, 40/60 F/R torque split.. It's bound to be more balanced than the last model..

They had one that was pretty well base (which is the Premium model... go figure).. I think it was around $35K.. but, no heated seats!! Must have been an oversight, sending that unit to Cincinnati... A relative bargain, at that price.. compared to the 328Xi...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, go back and drive it and let us know! I have been intrigued by the pics I've seen. :)
  • Yeah... my wife saw the commercials... says she could do that for her next car.. Her lease is up in November..

Maybe, next time I'll drive it.. I just happened to be in the neighborhood with time to kill..

• Last Saturday my wife and I drove the new A4, the G35x and the BMW 328xi. All are great cars. We eliminated the G35 because the rear seat does not fold down. It also has the feel of a heavy car in the way it reacts. Many standard features. Price-wise, it would be the least expensive. My wife preferred the A4; she just liked everything about it. They were asking MSRP plus which means 35K+. I kinda preferred the 328xi because the non-turbo power delivery was more linear and the suspension, perhaps firmer, felt more closely connected the road. For both German cars options quickly boost the price.

I was in a bad mood; thinking how the MazdaSpeed6, at about 2/3 of the cost of one of these cars, had about 80-90% of the features and performance they had. Also, these cars have great performance potential, but if I actually drove in a manner to utilize the potential, I would end up with bad gas mileage and a speeding ticket. (Recently got a ticket for 65 in a 55 zone which cost me $162. The police here have nothing better to do than set up speed traps. It is a lucrative business.) So I am thinking that buying one of these great handling cars would be like buying a yacht to put in a neighborhood pond. Why pay for performance you can't use? If it is there, I am tempted to use it.

The MazdaSpeed 6 is gone; I am driving our old Audi A4 and still trying to decide what to do next
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's easy - if you're not sure, don't make any changes to your fleet.

I have a 93 Miata and enjoy it. I've test driven several cars that would be potential replacements, yet I still have the Miata, and have never regretted keeping it. It was paid off years ago.

I've only had one major repair, and that cost me about 3 car payments' worth. In 8 years.

Have the A4 detailed. When the right car comes along, you'll know.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    I have a 93 Miata and enjoy it. I've test driven several cars that would be potential replacements, yet I still have the Miata, and have never regretted keeping it. It was paid off years ago.

Ditto for my 318ti Club Sport, which I've owned since new. Running costs for the little track toy average less than $600 per year(and most of that is for sticky Z-rated gumballs). In fact, it's going to be my instructor car at Watkins Glen in a few weeks- assuming I can resist the temptation to flip my Mazdaspeed for the clean CPO E46 M3 at my local dealer... :surprise:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Thanks for the good advice. We went out and test drove the Mercedes C class this weekend; another very nice car. Also test drove a Mercury Milan since it is supposed to be a bit upscale. The Milan we drove was their Premier AWD with most options. It is probably a very competent car but had no upscale feeling. Weare going to suspend our car shopping until January and see if the market changes.
    FWIW, the Lincoln MKZ is even more upscale, and shares the same platform.
  • My lease is about up for my 2007 model, which is semi loaded, so I went online and then called the my Audi sales rep I used last time. The 1st thing I asked was which model is the same feature set as mine and did Audi add Keyless Entry!!!!!!

The Answer is only if you buy the highest price model for the keyless feature. and I asked does the highest price model come with Nav or you still have to pay 2500.00 to have that added? Nope you have to add the Nav system...

WOW, I like my Audi but it seems what Audi see's as new state of the art features are thing lower priced models come with when you buy a higher model. BMW and Audi options pricing is insane for many of the features that should be standard equipt for the model ranges.

Having to spend 43k for a car, and then having to pay another 2500.00 for a nav system and then 700.00 for so for bluetooth is like being at a hotel paying 5.00 for a Coke at a vending machine...

Dil :(
    Not just any hotel, either, a very nice hotel.

This is common, though. I went to NAIAS twice. Once we stayed in a cheap hotel, they had free internet. Then we stayed at the gorgeous Renn Cen, and we had to pay for internet access, $10/day extra.

I guess they figure rich people will pay, so charge 'em.
  • Let me know next time you go...We can head to Greektown for lunch. Maybe the Edmunds Ohio contingent will come up, especially for press/industry days.
  • I went this year.... didn't get a press pass, though.. :(

Stayed at the Renn Center Marriott, too... :)

I haven't gone since the DC Auto Show changed dates.

It used to be just before NAIAS, so we'd get all of last year's leftovers.

Now it's the week after, so we get all the new cars. It's almost not worth it any more, only one or two concepts don't make it here to DC the following week.
  • I am close to purchasing one of two 2005 s4's. One has 22k miles, the other has 28k miles and both are Certified. Are there any reliability issues I should know about? Is there an average maintenance cost per year? I live in the northeast, will I need snow tires? My last Audi was an Allroad, so I am trying to get to know a different type of beast!

Thank you for any suggestions and information.
    Sweet cars...

Do they have summer tires now? If so, you probably need snows.

You should be OK with all-seasons and Quattro, though.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    I have some friends who swear by Audi. Other friends swear AT the marque. I have no personal experience with Igolstadt products but I will admit that I find the S4 to be a tempting prospect. My local Audi dealer has two Dolphin Gray S4s, but unfortunately both of them are slushboxes... :(

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I went with a friend from DC to Philly and back, one-day round-trip, in an S4 convertible. That thing was beautiful. The V8 is nice and torquey, too.

Complaints? Back seat is tiny, and the MMI navigation system interface was a nuisance. We ended up using my portable Garmin instead.
  • We saw the Lincoln MKZ on the lot, but that bit chrome grill up front made me not want to investigate it any further. Perhaps I was wrong. Have you checked it out?
    Not up close.

I test drove the Mercury version of that car.

It was OK, really, just a bit bland.
  • Yes, that is what we thought. When I sat in the front seat, the dashboard and controls seemed pretty generic. Even with AWD the Milan didn't seem to qualify as a subject of this board. If we had to make a choice right now, we would buy the new Audi A4. But we are going to wait and re-look at the situation in January. I should have looked closer at the MKZ when we were at the dealership, but the exterior appearance, formal with lots of chrome, was not inviting. Even with the larger engine and AWD, it also is doubtful to qualify as a sports sedan, but I don't know for sure..