Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (2007+)

Comments

• Rest assured it'll be a sweet truck. I was in Studio K the other week, it's looking great. Concept car was just that - CONCEPT. Not production vehicles. Adrenalin will rock. Looks like it accomplished its goal - to TEASE you guys. Give us a break.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I just cancelled the order for my 2006 Magnum, and decided to keep my 2002 Mountaineer until the 2007 SportTrac is out. If you read the write up on media.ford.com on the 2006 Mountaineer, you see much that also applies to the SportTrac. Ford really found and fixed problems large and small with the 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer design - less noise, less vibration, more power, probably better mileage, better safety, and so forth. Of course, the current 2005 SportTrac is based on the ancient 2001 and earlier Explorer, so the change in 2007 will be even more dramatic for the SportTrac.
  • I have an 02 ford spor trac and i have driven a ridgeline. Even though the honda is a little smoother and handles a bit better i still would rather drive the have the spor trac for a few reasons.

1. Price-base on honda is 5000 more
    2. Ford tows more
    3. Honda isnt a truck company, they make rice burners
    4. The ridgeline has no balls

http://autotrader.com/research/compare/index.jsp?restype=used
  • madijomadijo Posts: 30
    2003 FEST w/goodyears. I am getting a thumping noise from the front end that I do not think is related to the brakes. It is very noticeable at slower speeds but does not go away. I do not see signs of a busted belt on the tires or anything loose. Any suggestions?
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Posts: 729
    I wouldn't throw too many stones at Ridgeline.

It just easily won a C&D comparison. It will have a similar cost to a 4WD SportTrac, well-equipped. It will have more pop than a base SportTrac with a 4.6. And it should be more efficient, and C&D loved it's handling in particular, saying it raised the bar in the class.

At best, the SportTrac will enter this class as 3rd best, behind tacoma and Ridgeline. It may tow more with V8 power, but you will probably still lose out on handling and efficiency.

DrFill
  • marvrockmarvrock Posts: 1
    Hey, the new Sport Trac will kick butts, I've been driven other Trucks and there's no other though vehicle like Ford, if you want what they say gas economy, get a Ridgeline; once something goes wrong you pay a lot more, if you want Luxury, get the Avalanche or I should said the Cadillac version; they have too many RECALLS and no power.
    I tell you I owne a 2000 Explorer and men "Life is Good", I was traying to get a Navegator, now I'm going to wait or the new Sport Track, yeah!

MarvRock
  • bigrodentbigrodent Posts: 1
    Anyone know what they are doing with ground clearance for the 2007? One advantage to the old Sport Trac model is that its frame is higher. I love my current explorer and wanted a new one but they lowered the frame. They claim better ground clearance because the differential is higher but the frame is much lower and is visible if you don't have running boards!! I hope that they don't do the same to the new Sport Trac. I know they are trying to lower the center of gravity and give a better ride but I would like to take this off-road every so often.
  • magariamagaria Posts: 1
    I sure hope Ford comes out with a new and larger version of the Sport Trac in 2006. I have the 2003 model and I must admit my 5' 10" frame has all it can do to fit in the "mini" cab. With the seat all the way back my knees are plumb against the dash. I cannot stretch out my legs so consequently I'm cramped all the time while driving. I cannot believe anyone over 6 feet can fit into this vehicle. Other than this the vehicle performs OK if you don't mind a buckboard ride.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    my sentiments exactly. While I haven't driven one, I did sit in the passenger seat of an '05 with the moonroof. My head, on its 6'3" body length, was touching the cab roof.

John
  • i am 6'4 and have never had any problems fitting in my sport trac. Try getting the guy out from under u and then you might fit better
  • blksn8kblksn8k Posts: 36
    Personally, I'm waiting for the next Adrenalin, the one Ford showed at New York. It appears all they did to create the show vehicle was to take the concept from the Detroit show and paint it red. But the specs they are touting for the SVT Adrenalin are impressive. It will have the 4.6L supercharged 390hp engine from the 03-04 Mustang Cobra, the 6-speed auto from the Navigator, AWD, IRS and a 6000 lb tow rating. With SVT suspension tuning it should be awesome baby!
  • Currently I have an 02 Doge Ram 1500 QC and I have been waiting eagerly for the SVT Adrenalin to become available. Does anyone have any idea what pricing will be for the SVT SportTrac Adrenalin when it does become available??? I am getting very ansy for a new vehicle, so much so that I went and checked out an SRT-8 Magnum but I would really prefer to have some what of the utility of the pickup bed albeit however small it is on the Adrenalin and I also need the convience of the four door cabin. Any input on pricing would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • this vehicle should be great guys i'm a svt owner now and probably always will be. The SVT sports trac should be out by july of next year.(not verified) based on dealer assumption. it will range from 35,000.00 to 40,000.00 (not verified) dealer assumption. but if it's svt it's well worth it as far as honda's are concerned hell my svt focus is just killing them on the roads even the v-tec ones.when you can top-out at over 140 mph on a 4 bangger 2.0 your running .SVT has changed my thinking. I will get the 2007 SVT spots trac i'm placing the deposit on it next month. oh and by the way remeber this : FORD BUILT WITH TOOLS NOT CHOPSTICKS!!!!!!!!!
  • FORD BUILT WITH TOOLS NOT CHOPSTICKS!!!!!!!!!

LOL.....that's pretty funny :P

But anyway, whether or not the Japanese build their trucks with chopsticks or not, the fact remains that the Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier currently rule the compact truck segment. The Ranger and Colorado don't come close, although the Dakota does, some what.

Also in the fullsize segment many say the Titan is better than the F-150 although the F-150 sells a whole lot more units.

Anyway, I sure hope this new Explorer Sport Trac puts them back in the game. The Ranger is waaaaaay too old to compete with the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Frontier or Dakota.
  • can a current sport trac owner let me know if a full size dirt bike (say a honda cr250) or a full size quad (say a kawasaki 360 Prairie 4x4) can fit in the bed with the tail gate down? thanks
    Ford has released their press package:

http://media.ford.com/products/model.cfm

It looks like a winner. For example, Ford made it much quieter than the Ridgeline,and it has all of the air bags, stability control, luxury features, and the V8 option, and so forth the 2006 Explorer has. The bed is also longer than before, making it much more useful. For people with cargo to carry, it is may also be much more useful than an SUV, wagon or hatchback, since the cargo is in a separate compartment (lessening noise and increasing safety), and it will be able to carry tall cargo.

The only problem I see is Ford's lack of displacement on demand / cylinder shut off technology, something far easier to implement on the pushrod V8s from DCX and GM. Based on GMs information about excellent fuel mileage from the 2007 Tahoe / Yukon, the 2007 full sized GM pickups may obtain better fuel mileage than the mid-sized Sport-Trac.
  • I didn't find much in the way of photos, did you?

I will ponder this one, I really, really, want a diesel on my next vehicle. Ford would get the nod if they threw in one of theirs and upped the mpg to about 30,

John
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    redesigned Explorer, I might consider it instead of the Expy, as it may be Ford's answer to the Avalanche, but on a smaller scale...

If the Trac is based on the 2002 redesign, placing it always one step BEHIND the current Expy, then I may not look twice...

Do you know which model it will be based upon???...the current Trac is still based on the 1998 Expy, which is virtually a Ford Ranger, if I am not mistaken...
    The 2007 Sport Trac is based on the 2006 Explorer, so it has the new frame, rear suspension, interior, V8, and so forth.
  • I have a 1993 Kawasaki 300 and it barely fits with the tail gate down.