Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (2007+)

Comments

• I understand the 07 ST is based on the 06 Exp. I know several people that have 05 Explorers and have had numerous problems, rear axle, tranmissions and fuel gauge to name a few. I currently drive an 03 ST and was ready to get an 05 until I heard about the 07 coming in the spring. I sure hope they have worked out the bugs.
  • http://www.fordvehicles.com/futurevehicles/2007explorersporttrac/

I am greatly surprised, the new Sportrac is supposed to be on the streets in 3 months or so, and this is a huge new vehicle upgrade from Ford competing directly with the Honda Ridgeline which just won MT truck of the year, Detroit News truck of the year, etc.

At least there are a few more pictures available now (above link) but it is hard to discern any major differences from the current look.

John
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    It is strangely quiet (Press, ads)! :surprise:

Had no idea this was coming out SO soon!

1. Love the optional V8!
    2. 6-speed auto tranny!
    3. Interior is impressive also.
    4. Tonneau cover and in floor storage.
    5. New Explorer Safety systems.

Bummed the styling is SO derivative though. :( The 4-trac version is MUCH more appealing. :shades:
  • Hi All-

Even with the 2007 Sport Trac featured prominently on their website, Ford is still keeping their clear photos "close to the vest" to use a poker term. The ones shown are taken at extreme angles and/or have the vehicle covered in mud.

As of January 21, 2005 the dealer near my home anticipates that they'll have the new vehicles "on the ground" in their showroom within thirty days. He didn't pressure me about "getting on a waiting list" or any of that other dealer nonsense...and he simply invited me to call them back in another two weeks to see if there have been further developments.

If Nissan or Toyota started to offer nicer upgrades (such as leather seats) to their Frontier or Tacoma pickups, I might be tempted to look at them, too. This lack of upgrades had me briefly considering the F-150 Lariat SuperCrew...but I honestly can't justify the big size.

Ford could potentially have a winner on their hands with the new Sport Trac for people like me who don't haul heavy stuff, but periodically bulky items like bicycles, sporting equipment, landscaping supplies, boxes, bulk-store purchases, etc.

C'mon Ford, show us some decent 2007 Sport Trac photographs already!

~ Blue Jays ~
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    strangely enough, the "newest" photos don't look much different than the old SporTrac. Maybe it was just a steroids type treatment to the looks. I would imagine that it was on display at LA and Detroit auto shows, you should be able to find a photo gallery from them.

John
  • Hi All-

The salespeople with whom I spoke at the dealership said that the improved Sport Trac will have the technology improvements of the 2006 Explorer along with the updated sheetmetal. They also told me the rear will look much more similar to the "squared-off" F-150 pickup. The extra length in the bed might even allow it to fit some motorcycles or quad-runners depending upon size.

They gladly showed all their internal-use-only literature, but they weren't allowed to distribute that to potential customers. It apparently contained alot of "salesy" techniques for them to use. The brochures for customers are anticipated to be out within two weeks.

Lead time if you need an Explorer Sport Trac built to your specifications is running twelve weeks or so as best that they could estimate.

~ Blue Jays ~
  • Hi All-

Spoke with another dealership on February 2, 2006 and they're predicting the new trucks will start hitting the dealerships in March towards the end of the month.

I'm wondering if the recent spike in fuel costs (although not quite as bad as last summer) will lead to some of these new vehicles just sitting on dealership lots?

~ Blue Jays ~
  • that's a hard call... with Ford claiming 20ish for mileage, it might be economical to some.

On the other hand if they all come with the V-8 they will quickly get a reputation as a gas hog.

Personally, I am holding out til they bring in a new generation diesel and take mpg up to 24.

John
  • Blip in Sryacuse paper says Ford decided to scrap plan to build a performance version of Explorer Sport Trac. Any one know what that's about?
  • yes, it is their "restructuring"--in other words they aren't making money and they see this as a luxury item on their budget.

John
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Yup, it's totally true. In the same announcement Ford said the GT would be discontinued along with the Lincoln LS.

It's sad. Ford needs performance cars. The only one they have is the Mustang GT500 which is good, but not enough.
    A performance Sport Trac was a Ford product that I was looking forward to, but apparently it wont happen.

Can you at least do an SVT Fusion, Ford?
  • I have a 2004 Sportrac with 28,000 miles. Mine starting thumping at about 25,000 miles. The dealer says it's tire vibration. Since it caused the tires to wear uneven they are giving me new tires. Goodyear says there are no defects in the tire. I rotate my tires every 6 thousand miles so they should not be worn already. I am still waiting after 3 weeks for the tires.
  • blksn8kblksn8k Posts: 36
    I am not sure why people are claiming the 07 Sport Trac has a longer bed. Everything I have read states that it has a longer wheelbase than the previous model but that the extra length was used in the interior, not the bed. While the bed does have more volume than before, I believe this is due to the fact that it is a couple inches wider and maybe a bit taller, not because of an increase in length. This means the tailgate might be a bit longer so you could theoretically carry longer objects when the tailgate is down.

I have received pricing from a couple of dealers but I have told them I will not place an order until I have had a chance to test drive an 07. The MSRP on a 4x4 Limited V-8 with power moonroof, bed extender cage, trailer towing package and hard tonneau cover is $31,330 less dealer and dest. charges. I can buy at X-plan so that should lower it into the $29K range. Not bad...
    that's what it looks like---50.1" in the new, and 50" in the old style. Slightly higher bed, but the bulk of the new capacity in the bed must be in the width.

When did Ford plan on having the new trucks on the lot?

John
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I have read that some are on lots. I haven't found any in California. Has anyone seen one on a dealer's lot? I wonder if they fixed the crazy interior door handle on the 2006 Explorer & Mountaineer?
    It seems that the door handle will not be changed until the 2008 model, but the present design may not be much of a problem. Some people how own and make them have told me that it takes about a week to become accustomed to it.

The dimensions of the bed/box are (from Ford) 37.5 cubic feet - 50.1" Deep x 61" Wide x 21" High.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    Saw a new one yesterday on a dealers lot in Lexington, Ky. Didn't get a close up since I was driving at the time.
    Isn't it normal to get some reviews around the time of a new vehicle release?

C'mon, this is the best thing to hit the truck market since the Ridgeline.

John
    once_for-all - you have a good point. I also have not found a single review, yet it is on dealer lots. I guess than this may be evidence of a bias in favor of Japaneese vehicle manufacturers.

The Ridgeline had a nice wide interior and large bed with plenty of storage, but is horribly ugly inside and outside and has too little engine for too much vehicle. Plus, the bed is part of the vehicle, so rattling noise from cargo will be far more easily transmitted to the interior than in the Sport Trac, which has a separate bed/box.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    I too don't understand why the SportTrac has not had any reviews yet, but I disagree on most of your Ridgeline review. The exterior is not very attractive; I agree. The interior looks good, the truck rides better than anything else out there, and there has not been any complaints of bed noises that I have noticed. The 3.5 is excellent just as it is in the Pilot and Odyssey. The vehicle would only need a 8 cylinder for heavier towing, and the only midsize with an 8 is the Dodge Dakota. It is not blazingly quick, but gets the job done nicely just like the Ford 3.0 in the Five Hundered and Freestyle. Of course there are a lot of complainers on the Fords, too.