Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (2007+)

Comments

• once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    ya, well, it won't take long for the Sportrac vs Ridgeline debates to flare up.

I like the Ridge, I think it is a well put together package--best one out there (so far).

But I won't get a truck like these until I see 24 mpg highway. IMO, it will take a turbo diesel to do it.

Ford has the best chance of following through on that.

John
    lol this is too funny. I read my own post from last month and find out I said the same thing as just now.

Sorry to be boring guys, I guess there isn't much to talk about yet :)

John
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    I agree none of the competitors in the small to midsize class get good enough fuel economy. I too would be a buyer of a diesel in this class. I don't know who will do it first. I will be surprised if Ford does it to this model before it does it to the F150s. I hope the SportTrac gives the Ridgeline, Tacoma, and Frontiers some real competition.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    While I agree that we need to go to Diesel engines, I suggest working out the annual and monthly fuel cost of different vehicles before getting too concerned over the fuel mileage differences. I drive 35,000 miles per year, but with regular gasoline at $2.50, an Explorer Limited RWD V8, the closest thing to the SportTrac for which mileage data has been published, would cost me $111 more per month than the too-small hatchback car rated at 20 city and 30 highway I now have. The inconvenience of having to stop for three more fillups per month is far more significant to me than the $111, but neither is significant enough to be a factor in choosing one vehicle over another.
  • I work at a ford dealership and we got three in today. One limited and two of the XLT models. Thats the only two models offered in 2007. The interior is pretty much the same as the Explorer. Along with the front end looking like an eddie bauer with the "nostrals" at the sides of the grille. It's available in 2wd and 4wd as well as the 4.0l V6 and the 4.6l V8. You also have the option of a 5 speed or a 6 speed automatic transmission. You could fit a motorcycle in the bed but I would recommend getting the bed extender if you are planning on doing that. They are really nice. If you have any questions email me and I'll get back to you asap.
  • captjchincaptjchin Posts: 14
    Placed my order for a V8 XLT in Dark Stone Metallic after a test drive night before last. REALLY QUIET and nice ride. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Congratulations, captjchin, you are one of the very first to be able to drive and order one!

I spent a while searching today and found that dealers are receiving both V6 and V8 Sport Tracs now. One dealer in the greater LA area shows a V8 Limited RWD in stock, but I'll bet it is sold, or will be sold, before I am able to be near enough to visit that dealership in Torrance, CA.

It is good to hear that others have been able to drive them.

Is it just as smooth and quiet as the Explorer?
  • blksn8kblksn8k Posts: 36
    The only true sighting I have had has been at the Detroit show. Did they do anything about those hideous exposed frame rails on the production version? I like everything about the new model except for that. The concept vehicle for both the Sport Trac and the Adrenalin (sob) from last year had a really well integrated skirt/running board. If Ford doesn't do something to hide those frame rails someone in the aftermarket should jump on this golden egg and fast. Oh, and Ford should really consider a delete option for roof rack and tie downs. Not everyone likes the tacky look.
    I had very little time to SEE in detail as it was after work and after dark. I agree about the big gap; I'll go back and check it out in daylight.

It's at least as quiet as Explorer, it doesn't have the LOOONG hollow interior to echo the sound. Having a shorter roof, less of drum effect.

Check out http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2007/2007_sporttrac.htm

Ford went to a lot of trouble to take care of details to make a GREAT truck better.
    Lol. That's pretty funny that you posted a link to that site. I got banned from there a few years ago for not having full pictures of my 67 Ranchero which was a work in progress. Bunch of Nazis, IMO.
    Anyway, I really like the engineering of the new Trac, just not sold on the styling. I guess I'm just never going to be a soccer mom. Lol. :D
    Well, I did an inventory search on all the local dealers and just about all the larger dealers show at least one 07 Sport Trac on their lot. Unfortunately, they are ALL V-6's. Not sure what's up with that. Either Ford is not producing the V-8's yet or the dealers are afraid to stock them due to fuel mileage concerns. I'm betting its the former. Has anyone else seen any V-8's? :confuse:
    blksn8k - see my post above - there are V8 Sport Tracs listed in dealer inventory. I think they started with the V6 models, and are now making the V8s. As for V6 vs V8, the Explorer Limited RWD has the same 15 city and 21 highway rating for both.

By the way, the larger new Tahoe, with cylinder shut off, has the same or better ratings, so Ford does need to update their V8 by adding cylinder shut off (4 cylinders turn off under light load conditions, and it is a 90 degree V8, so it still runs smoothly as a 90 degree V4).

Still, fuel mileage should not be the primary factor in choosing a vehicle, as substantial differences in mileage ratings, even for people who drive as much as I do, result in small differences in annual fuel costs. See the numbers in my post above comparing a vehicle which is rated at 20 city and 30 highway vs an Explorer rated at 15 city and 21 highway. For people who drive a more typical 12,000 miles per year (40% city and 60% highway), with regular at $2.50, it works out to just $38 per month more for the Explorer.

blksn8k - I completely agree that the roof rack should be optional. The only use I would have for it is the same use I had for the rack on my 2002 Mountaineer - holding onto it while stepping up to wash, dry, and wax the roof.

The Ford web site shows mud all over a Sport Trac and photos of them in various outdoor settings. While some of them will be used that way, Ford is really missing the boat if they do not just as strongly promote the smooth ride, quiet, and luxury aspects of it. I am certainly not the only person who has a need to carry some cargo, but who wants a fancy, smooth, and quiet "car" with a big "trunk." They can keep the off road photos and text, but need to add plenty of city and suburban photos and corrsponding text with people dressed in casual and business attire.

I am also considering the updated 2008 Montego, but the Sport Trac interior is more luxurious, and the revised Montego, Five Hundred, and Freestyle will not be out until one year (or more) from now, while the Sport Trac is out now.
    Thanks for the info, fsmmcsi. I currently have a 2002 Ranger FX4 5-speed manual. It is a pretty capable off-road truck. 90% of my driving is to work or on the interstate but I do use my truck to get me into some of the places where I hunt. But I cannot carry more than one other person comfortably. I don't really have the need for a full size crew-cab and one of those doesn't fit very well in my attached garage. The Sport Trac seems to be just what the doctor ordered. The V-6 would be fine but I can't see a huge penalty in fuel mileage with the V-8 compared to the V-6. Plus the V-8 should have a significant towing advantage.
    the EPA mileage ratings for the two different engines, and the 2 and 4wd models.

Also, I want to know about the ride and handling with the new IRS.

John
    John, the window sticker for this Limited 4.6L 4x4 shows 14 city/20 highway. I am guessing that would be the lowest of all the models.

http://www.legacyfordsales.com/pages/present/flm/notlocalized/searchinventory/ve- hicledetailsnew.asp?orgid=8275&vin=1FMEU53837UA00517
    and I see the other models (2wd with base engine) are 16 city and 21 highway. About the same as the other trucks in this class.

John
    Has anyone seen a road test in any magazine? This is really strange for a newly redesigned vehicle. Why would Ford not want people to know about this? Talk about oddball marketing. In my area they are already offering low rate financing or $1000 cash back. Are they nuts? This thing just hit the dealers' lots for crying out loud! :confuse:
  • congenicongeni Posts: 8
    I AM WAITING FOR A BIGGER REBATE THATS THE BEST TIME TO BUY
    it is VERY odd.

Maybe Ford is too low on finances to even advertise.

It's beyond understanding.

John
    Doubt you'll see a bigger rebate. It's an 07 which would have a great residual on lease and extra months of use as a current model. In my book, the sooner the better.

The prices are lower with more standards than the past models, so that they can get away from those rediculous rebates.

I'm returning an 05 Escape that I've had for 2 full years and it's only a year old model. Same will be true for the Sport Trac.