Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 vs 2017 E350. Buy or not to buy? Which one to buy?

hsingh123hsingh123 Member Posts: 5
edited June 2016 in Mercedes-Benz
I have searched in many forums, but did not get a complete answer yet. Hoping to hear from you guys. I am in a major dilemma, whether to buy a 2016 E350 right now or wait for 2017 model?

Pros:
- Since, 2017 is expected to be on the dealer lots by July, should expect to get a good discount on the remaining 2016 models. My expectation is that a $63000 E350 (loaded with options) that could be bought for around $56000 (assuming 11% discount) earlier in the year, should be around $49000 (22% discount) at this time of the year (June 2016)
- 2016 is in the last year of production for that model, so all bugs have been worked out..

Cons:
- 2016 is the last year model, so essentially you are not getting a new model
- Cannot customize, will have to buy what I can find available at this point.
- a Lot of features in the 2017 model (mainly safety features) are going to be standard but the MSRP is actually $900 less than the 2016 model
- If I buy the 2017 in July, probably would not get a lot of discount (maybe none)

Would you guys please give your expert opinion on this matter. Is the 2016 price that I am expecting wishful thinking or is it possible or do you think it could go even lower?
Please advise

Comments

• blueherronblueherron Member Posts: 30
    With the 2016 models, you know what to expect as it's been on the market for several years. The worst of the issues have been corrected, that does not mean they have all been corrected. I had two W212 E350 4matics, 2010 and 2012, both with issues that never really got sorted out. I looked at a 16 E350 4matic however the dealer was not into discounting the car to make the sale reasonable. Wanted 1,200 over invoice and was incredibly difficult regarding a trade. I could apply the incentives to wash away the negative equity of the trade, which they were low-balling. The salesman lecturing of how much "value" I was getting for a car that is at the end of its life cycle and in one year would be worth in the low 40K range in one year.

New cars glitches, we'll ok.. Typically you want to avoid first model builds, however I think this is lessening, although both of my W212 MB 350 4m had issues.

At this point, unless you get the feeling like you're stealing the car, I'd hold off for the next gen. Of course you could lease for 2 years, but the numbers to lease for 2 years aren't that great given new models will be coming out, and they need to sell those too. MF's are slightly increasing however they residual is falling faster. The dealer has to offer something to you. You might want to talk with your MB rep and look at a 2017 order guide. Benz seemingly has deposited a lot of Black and White vehicles with Vinyl MB-Tex. Maybe you want something else. The cost is very high for the W212 which as and old model, at the end of it's run. If you get an excellent price and satisfied with what your purchase is, then it's a deal. If you run through all the numbers and question it, then isn't that great of a deal.
  • hsingh123hsingh123 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Bluherron
  • kris200050kris200050 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in the exact same situation. I have a 2014 E350 AWD with 4 more lease payments. I'm getting calls by area dealers every other day looking to get me in to a new 2016. Very attractive discounts off sticker price.
    Example, a dealer sent me a letter offering a $586 a month payment on a 36mo/15K lease. The sticker is $63K, but cost would be $53K. Drive off is $1,095 aqu.fee plus first month payment. That a lot cheaper than my current 27 month payment.
    I have 4 months to ponder this unless 2016 inventory runs dry soon. Heard the 2017s hit showrooms end of the month.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a recent example of a "stretched" pull forward lease where @fintail got a deal on a 2016 E250.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    @kris200050 Base acquisition fee is $795. That one is marked up the maximum.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    edited June 2016
    I saw my name mentioned, so I will chip in. I think it all depends on the car you want, and your patience level. There will definitely be discounts on W213 by the summer of 17 as always, and I think one shouldn't settle for anything less than 15% off a W212 right now even with no negotiation. There will be very little if any room to deal on a W213 for the next several months, and I was advised that currently the new model is not available for pull forward. Your area might also determine the deal - California and New England dealers seem to be a lot more competitive than some other areas.

There was a 'not for sale' demo W213 in the showroom when I visited on Saturday. I talked to a salesman and was able to see their build/order list. There wasn't a single P3 car, and all early build cars are E300 4 cyl. If you don't want the 4 cyl and want a high option car, you will have to wait. Diesel might never come to this market at all. The 4:3 scale C-class styling isn't the most inspiring, but the interior is fantastic, great seats.

I just got into a lease on the most loaded E250D4 that was in nationwide inventory, it just happened to be at my local dealer. MSRP ~70K, 1500 acquisition/cap cost, 36 months, 585/month. This was down from the original offer of ~3000 and 650/month. I didn't push it much more as they were complaining, and I am in a less competitive market (PNW), so I can only do so much as they can hold firm easier. So far I really like the car, so that might end up being moot, as I would buy it out. I didn't intend to get this car - I came in for a keyfob battery, spotted the W213 and examined it, and the sales manager I have dealt with in the past mentioned he had a car he thought I might like (I like rare/unusual spec). I was 2 months from pull forward, but they had no problem waiving that as they want to get rid of the 212s. I suspect there are some nicely equipped cars lurking around. It might be better to lease initially, and then buy out - as I suspect real world values will be a bit less than lease residuals in 3 years. There are some nicely priced 14 lease returns on the market right now.
  • kris200050kris200050 Member Posts: 8
    That's a great deal on that car. I was quoted in the $600 range for a few 2016 E350 AWD demos with a few thousand miles on them. 36/15K lease. $2,200 drive off.
    I also was able to sit inside one of the new 2017 E300s. Beautiful interior with amazing new technology. Makes the interior of the 2016 look ancient. But, I agree the exterior wasn't anything inspiring. I have 4 months left on my lease and was told to wait a few months until the new incentives on 2017s are set by MB. I guess they don't really have the lease terms yet available. Will check back in August.
  • lawcarlawcar Member Posts: 97
    Questions about terminology:
    * What are W212 and W213?
    * What is a "pull forward".

Thanks, David
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    lawcar said:

Questions about terminology:
    * What are W212 and W213?
    * What is a "pull forward".

Thanks, David

W212 is the model code for the outgoing 2016 E-Class
    W213 is the model code for the new 2017 E-Class

Pull-forward or pull-ahead programs are when Mercedes offers to forgive your remaining lease payments on your current Mercedes, if you sign a lease on a new one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Got it.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Might also depend somewhat on how long you are going to hold onto the car because in just a couple of months it will be a 1 year old car with the greater (or at least quicker) depreciation that goes with that. Not a big issue if you own it for awhile, but if you trade in a couple of years the difference may be greater than the increased discount you got today.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    @hsingh123

Let me chime in also . I would only buy the 16 model if I could work a deal in the 18 to 22% range off MSRP. otherwise I'd want a 17 model that is updated and made to my preference .

If you could wait till after labor day and find a 16 model your pricing will be very competitive especially if your not in a rural area. I would send out emails to dealers within 200 miles off you asking for dealers best price on 2016 models you may like .........................Good luck

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• IamawayIamaway Member Posts: 1
    Have a Question on the new 2017 -- very concerned the new versions as currently available are under powered.. Curious readers thoughts on this change to only the 4 cyl for now..
  • storm10storm10 Member Posts: 261
    Iamaway said:

Have a Question on the new 2017 -- very concerned the new versions as currently available are under powered.. Curious readers thoughts on this change to only the 4 cyl for now..

There is a video review on YouTube comparing both 2016 E350 V6 vs. 2017 E300 4 cylinder engine, addressing the lack of Horsepower. Here you go: Does the 2017 E300 lack power??
    I had my 2012 E350 serviced and drove a 2017 E300 loan over the weekend. I drove on streets and freeway and thought it was sufficiently powered. The controls took a little getting used to but nothing major. The cabin did feel smaller than the 2012 even though the car itself is around 1" longer and around 1" wider. It was nicer than I thought it would be. Still debating whether to keep my 2012 with 58,000 miles or trade in for the 2017.