Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Suburban

Comments

• 2003 LT -- speedo is stuck at about 50mph when I shut off, will jump up to 110mph when driving, flucuates in between, never dropping below 50. Any quick fixes? Will I need to visit the dealer? Is this a common problem?

Need new tires, any suggestions on the best value to quality tire ratio to buy? Has Firestone now, but I'm not a Firestone fan. Thanks.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    will jump up to 110mph when driving

I suggest laying off the gas pedal a little bit..LOL

Sounds like it is a problems with the speedo itself. It could be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), but I would think you would be having other symptoms as well.

I replaced my tires with Firestone Destination LE. I've put about 12k miles on them and they have been fine. I got them for a good price and they are quiet and have worn well thus far.
  • I have a '02 Suburban that has 40,000 miles. IT just had to have the 4x4 modulator replaced, $900!!! I cant believe that that part should go in such a short time. I do not use 4 wheel alot and only in the snow. Anybody else have or hear of this problem?
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    I just sold a 1995 Suburban 1500 4x4 that got 15 mpg Highway and 12-13 mpg City. This had the 350 TBI non vortec engine.
    Never towed so does not really answer the question, but some info.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    Need new tires, any suggestions on the best value to quality tire ratio to buy? Has Firestone now, but I'm not a Firestone fan. Thanks.
    Michelin X-Radials
  • I have a 2003 4 wd burb with 58k miles. Semi regularly when I start the engine the transmission indicator console lights will all light up and then pick a selection on it's own - 4 auto, 2h, 4l, etc. It doesn't seem to remember where it was when the engine last turned off. The dealer re-loaded the software and the console switch has been replaced and no improvement. Any ideas ?
  • for the last year at random intervals, the 99 LT will not start and the security lamp does not go out on the dash. Disconnecting the battery seems to work but this time did not. New battery? Ideas would be a great help
  • Hello all,
    I am looking for the location of the PCV valve on a 2002 Z71 Suburban 1500.

I have looked all over the engine for this this and cannot find it-- Do I need to remove anything to get to it or????

thanks

Dan
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    First, thanks diesel one for your informative post on towing with a 1500 series Burb. It sounds as though you have a very similar size boat to mine. So I would guess towing performance would be very similar. I would be OK with giving up a little while towing in search of better overall economy.
    I would be very interested in finding out what kind of MPG numbers people are getting with 6.0L engine.

Wagoneerman, I have read several posts in the past that reported similar speedo prblems as yours, and people reported the fix ended up being a new instrument cluster. Hope this is not the case for you as it is very pricey $$$$$, or I hope you are still under warranty. Good luck.
  • lockslocks Posts: 2
    My transfer case is making a grinding noise when it is in 2hi and I take off from a stop light. After i gain speed the noise goes away? If I engage the 4hi and drive I dont hear at all the whole time it is engaged? Any Ideas?
  • lockslocks Posts: 2
    You might want to check your sensor. They go bad and it looks like your overheating when your not.
  • 13b113b1 Posts: 1
    Rearview mirror temp/compass no longer has a display in my 03 Suburban LT. Suggestions? Thanks.
    The guy's I've talked to with GMC Denali's with the 6.0L towing boats in the 21'-22' range have reported around 9-10mpg towing.

Here's a quote from trailerboat magazines tow test of a 1/2 ton GMC Sierra w/ 6.0L

During flat highway towing, the truck had no trouble keeping the towed load cruising at 55 mph. Once the train was up to highway speed on a flat, level roadway, we found that it would tow the 22-foot Sea Ray in fourth gear without any torque converter slippage. However, we found it best to tow with the overdrive turned off and the Tow/Haul mode activated when any sort of incline was encountered or when towing in congested traffic — power was more quickly tapped into when needed. Steep hills didn’t quell its enthusiasm, as the 6.0L Sierra was able to pull the trailer up the most precipitous section of our test incline in third gear at 50 mph.

In our opinion, the Vortec 6000 is a much better towing engine than the 5.3L Vortec 5300 V-8, essentially because it produces 50 more ponies and 45 more lb.-ft. of crank-turning power. It’s more powerful than any engine previously available in a GMC 1/2-ton truck, and features numerous technological advances, including electronic throttle control instead of mechanical linkage between the gas pedal and engine throttle. This provides instant acceleration.
  • My burb when driving and stopping seems like it wants to die then the rpm's rev high then low then high. When driving it's ok. But stop and go or slowing down is when it happens. Took it to the dealer and said could not find any problems (of course). Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have a 2001 Suburban. My window on the passenger side will not operate! All other windows work fine. I am a "do-it-yourself person, any help with the possible cause will be appreciated! :confuse:
  • I HAVE A 2004 2500 BURB 4X4 THAT WAS GRABBING EVERY RUT, UNEVEN PAVEMENT ETC TOOK MINE TO DEALER AS YOU WOULD GUESS THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH IT ABOUT A WEEK LATER I WAS CHANGING THE OIL AND NOTICED THERE WAS A MOUNTING TAB FOR A STEERING STABILIZER FOR SOME REASON THE SUBURBAN DOESN'T COME WITH ONE ANY WAY I PICKED ONE UP AT THE PART STORE AND INSTALLED IT AND IT IS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY THERE STILL IS A LITTLE MOVEMENT BUT ABOUT 90% LESS ALSO WHEN I CHANGED FROM THE FACTORY MICHILEN TIRES TO DUELER AT REVOS I GOT WORSE HOPE THIS HELPS
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    Thanks for the additional info. 9-10 MPG towing doesn't sound a whole lot better than my 8 MPG.
    Do you happen to know what kind of mileage they are getting when not towing?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may want to turn off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages written in ALL CAPS - kinda hard on the eyes.

tidester, host
  • manh1manh1 Posts: 1
    Did you have the problem fix yet. I have the same problem on my 93 suburban.
  • Can the lights in a 97 Suburban factory radio be changed? Half the lights that illuminate the buttons have gone out. The other half, as well as the digital display, remain lit. Are there bulbs that need to be replaced in the radio and if so, Can I do this myself or is that a jo for the dealership?

Dennis
    If I remeber correctly, the guys I talked to mentioned non towing fuel economy in the 12-13mpg in town 15-16mpg hwy with the 6.0L powered Denali XLs.
  • We have a 2003 Suburban and had the popping noise. The dealer replaced the muffler under warranty and we have not heard it again.
  • I have the same issue with my radio..let me know what you find out.6
  • We took the truck a month ago to two dealers for no start problems. They never could find it. It won't always start. It's progressivly getting worse-somedays it takes over 40 turns of the key before it goes. It makes no noise when doing this. All lights and gauges are good.

But now a couple of other things are going on when this happens. The interior lights won't always turn off. I lost the horn and a brake light keeps going out.

Suggestions? :cry:
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    Take a scan through "No Start" Problems and Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems That Are Driving You Crazy; maybe you'll get some ideas.

For those concerned about their ABS brakes last month, the recall has been expanded.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hello:
    I'm new at this and cannot provide any help but; you might be able to help me. The Fuel Pump on my 1999 Sub stopped also. I'd like to check the fuse, before I attempt to replace the whole pump. Could you tell me where the fuse for the fule pump is located?
    Thanks!
  • We are currently considering purchasing a 2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 and we were surprised that the middle seat in the back third row only had a lap belt (no shoulder harness belt). This was very surprising to us. Has anyone else found this to be a problem and what did you do to remedy the situation?
    We are in need of being able to have all 5 seats in the back to have shoulder harness belts due to having children sitting in these seats.
    We are looking for an aftermarket resource for a Chevy Suburban SUV that sells shoulder harness seat belts for the middle seat in the third row in the back seat. And then we have to find someone qualified to install this system (if available).
    Lap belts (currently in the middle, only) are considered not as safe for children so I'm surprised that the three seats in the third row don't each have shoulder harness belts.
    Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! We live in the Kansas City area, so if you know of any businesses in this area that can address our situation, that info would also be helpful.
    Thanks!
  • I have an 01 sub and it recently started making a low pitched hum coming from the front end. It sounds a lot like the sound agressive mud-grip tires make on a paved road. I am currently running Pirelli Scorpion HWY tires that have about 15,000 miles on them and they are in good condition. I suspected the tires but it makes the noise on any road surface! I rotated the tires and that did not help matters. I suspected a wheel bearing but while I was rotating the tires I noticed that the sub has sealed bearings! So much for checking that. Anyone have any suggestions.
    Mark
  • 2001 2500, 8.1ltr,is stalling at low rpm we have replaced the fuel pump, battery, clean injection system, replaced spark plugs and we still have problems. I have read that changing the crankshaft sensor will fix problem. Can anyone verify this? :mad: :confuse:
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    If it is a crank shaft position sensor it should give you some rough engine performance with higher rpm too and certainly engine should be running really rough idle before it shuts off.

Have you checked the idle air valve? I'm not sure but I would guess your engine has one. The newer engines, like in my '04 Tahoe 5.3 L, the idle air is controlled with the electronic throttle. Older engines used to have a separate idle air valve, which controls the air flow to engine when throttle is full closed.

Idle air valve in many cases looks like a small electric motor mounted in the side of the throttle body. This is because it usually is a 'step motor' that is used to control the valve opening.

Can you keep the engine running close to idle speed by holding the throttle open just a little bit? If you can your problem most likely is with the idle air valve.

Arrie