Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Isn't the replacement for the Buick Le Sabre and Park Avenue supposed to be based on the Zeta platform? Edmunds says that the Lucerne will be FWD and will use Le Sabre's current platform, but several other sources say that it will be RWD and Zeta-based.

The same goes for the next generation Pontiac Bonneville. I have heard that it would only get a restyling, that it will be switched to RWD, and that the name would be dropped. Have any of those rumors been confirmed as true, or is it still too early to say at this point?

Personally I would favor rear wheel drive for both cars. The Bonneville could definitely use it to be more competitive in the segment. It's going to face stiff competition from the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, so Rear Wheel Drive makes sense, particularly in the handling department...

Comments

• The last info that I had heard was a RWD replacement for both vehicles with a whole new build-up. I do believe that it will be the zeta platform. My cousin works for Visteon which works closely with GM on some of the new vehicle electronics and he said that both of these cars will be close to the Biuck Lacrosse in terms of increased build quality, ride and quietness. Supposedly there will be increased hp to compete directly with DMX. I hope that they don't screw up the Bonny replacement in terms of sportiness and overall excitement.
  • Very interesting. I'm glad to hear it. As of right now the DMX LX cars are my favs, to tell the truth. But if GM manages to develop a few appealing RWD cars sometime soon, than I'd be very interested in those too. If the quality of the interior materials are high enough, then I would I definitely add the Bonneville to my short list of cars I'd like to buy.

Hopefully this thread will stay open and active so we can keep a watchful eye on any developments in the near future.
  • What is the DMX LX? I have not seen reference to it before.
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    The Lucerne will be built on the G body along with the new DTS. Think of it as the slightly larger Aurora replacement. Buick gets a Zeta flagship car (Invicta) for 2007 or 2008. Bonneville is still up in the air, but the latest reports are that it will be replaced along with the Grand Prix with the Zeta G8. The coupe version will be the GTO.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    DMX is an error of DCX, which is the stock symbol for DaimlerChrysler.

LX is the platform name for the 300/Magnum/Charger.

~alpha
  • Lazy me, I was foolish enough to repeat that typo. Sorry, I feel like an idiot for that one. And I can't seem to edit that post either...

As for the news of it being on the same platform as the Caddy DTS, that sounds pretty good to me. RWD can definitely help them improve in the handling department, especially if the choose to add more power to the Bonnie. And from what I've seen (at least working at Ford) rear wheel drive is also a bit more likely to take a beating. Probably depends a lot on the manufacturer though, but Front wheel drive as a whole seems a bit fragile in comparison. That's just my opinion on the matter. (Not that I would never buy a FWD car.)
    G-body is FWD.
  • D'oh! I confused the DTS with the STS!

The Lucerne still sounds like an appealing vehicle, but I'm a big fan of RWD myself so I'd be more interested in the G8 or Invicta. Of couse it does depend on the styling, and (more likely) the fit and finish. Hopefully I got it right this time around. Thanks for the information on the upcoming models. I appreciate it!
    Head on over to C&G to see the interior.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    The spy shots I saw of the lucerne were very promising. Same goes for the interior pic mentioned by Theo. I have read that it would have the 5.3 OHV V8 but I am wondering if they will really use the 4.6L northstar V8. I also want to know what will serve as the base engine. It better be the 3.6 with 250+hp.

The car should be revealed in Chicago in February.
  • I am interested in more details of the Lucerne. Pls advise meaning of C&G (I am new to the lingo)and where I might view pics of this car. I am interested in details such as Heads Up Display etc. Thanks
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Just do a google search of Buick Lucerne and you will see the pictures that theo2709 is referring to.

I have read some rumors that GM may cancel plans for RWD Buicks, but today's Automotive News had an article on a RWD sedan, coupe, and possible convertible for Buick, so these rumors may be wrong.
    The RWD Buick is going to happen, but I wouldnt expect it before 2006. The Lucerne and the RWD large car will exist at the same time. The Lucerne will probably be aimed at traditional Lesabre and Park Ave owners while the RWD car will be aiming for the 300C.
  • GO to buick.com, the new large sedan (Lucerne) will be unveiled @ the Chicago show on Feb 9th (courtesy of buick.com)
    I am looking forward to seeing the pics of this car.
  • jb7227jb7227 Posts: 86
    Cant wait to see the new Lucerne - Buick website has "countdown" until Feb 9th. Anyone have any idea of the dimensions - is it going to lose trunk/passenger room compared to the LeSabre? GM needs to go back to making their "large" cars large again - with 20+ cubic feet of trunk space and shoulder & hip room that's larger than a Camry or Accord!
    I imagine dimensions will very very close to the Lesabre. The main differences will be in power, features and interior styling. Considering this car will probably go up to $36K+ it better have a lot of luxury features.
  • jb7227jb7227 Posts: 86
    You can see photos of new Lucerne at chicagoautoshow.com.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    OK, there is a photo gallery over at the Detroit News web site:

http://www.detnews.com/autosinsider

Now whose brilliant idea was it to have the Lucerne's rear end look just like an Acura TSX? First the LaCrosse copies the old Taurus, now the Lucerne copies Acura... will the upcoming VElite convertible look like a Sebring?

*sigh*
    IMO, NOTHING about this vehicle looks like a TSX. The TSX has very thin taillights and much sharper edges to the decklid. (Please share what you smoke, as long as its not TOO illegal.)

The taillights remind me more of the VW Toureg, an association which not many will make since the two cars are not at all competitors. I think this may just be the most attractive Buick to date- I hope the dynamics and appointments have been similarly improved. Very classy, IMO.

And A V8 to boot. Very nice.

Bonneville is being cancelled, FWIW, so maybe the name of the thread needs to be changed.

~alpha
  • I agree - there is some resemblance to Acura from the rear -so what? The rear-view may invoke Acura, but Acura has a reputation for high-quality, excellent engineering and near-luxury performance. And that's a bad thing?

If you want to pick nits, you can find something on any car that looks very much like the same feature on some other car.

This is the best looking Buick in decades, FWIT.
    will be key. If GM can do a nicely optioned CXL V8 around $33K, I think it would be a great car.

To me, nicely optioned would mean: leather, moonroof, grippier wheel/tire pkg, Stabilitrak.

~alpha
    Bloody hell they still have the 3800 and it lost power!
  • Looking at them side-by-side, I see more dissimilarities - Lucerne has a lower trunk sill - which results in a lower lift-over, the Lucerne uses chrome on the trunk sill lip, Lucerne license plate placed in the rear fascia not on the trunk lid, Lucerne exhaust tips under the fascia not in "scoops" as on the TSX. The TSX rear-end has a much flatter shape, the Lucerne is more rounded in general.

One could say they are similar, but hardly that the "Lucerne's rear end looks just like an Acura TSX" as you put it.
    The side by side posts reinforce my comments that the taillamps are much thinner on the TSX, which features harder edges to the rear end in general.

I personally would never look at the rear of this car and think TSX.

And seriously, the 3800 as standard is such a faux pas, but there are many who just dont care as long as the vehicle feels strong. A pity that GM wouldnt make the 3.6L the base engine, but at least the kick-[non-permissible content removed] Northstar is available on the mid-trim level, unlike the availability of the high feature engine on the LaCrosse/Allure.

~alpha
    I agree about the availability of the V8 on two trim levels instead of one. I have a feeling that a large portion of the cars shipped will have the V8. I cant see the 3800 sticking around more than a year or so. At this point it will only be used in three cars. They should have made the new 3.5L or the 3.9L available as the base engine. Naturally the 4 speed auto is another issue.
  • The Lucerne headlights don't seem to match the trend started with the new multi-headlight form of LaCrosse. If Lucerne will be the mid-range Buick, they might think about standardizing the front look across the lineup and consider multi-headlight form for Lucerne in the following years. I have made a sketch to show what I mean.

The headlights would be more swept back, following the Velite design. This way they would look nice like the Sydney opera. Hope Tom Peters takes note.
  • Oooh, I like that. The lights look distinctive without the '96 Taurus look of the LaCrosse. They should have done them just like that.

Overall I'm fairly impressed with this car. I will be interested to see how it's priced and positioned. Everything about it seems way upscale of the LeSabre, except the old standby 3.8 engine. I hope it doesn't get too pricey though, at least in base trim. Buick needs to remember that last year they sold over 130,000 LeSabres and Park Aves. If they don't offer an affordable trim of this thing, that will be tough to match, let alone exceed, no matter how good the car is.

-Andrew L
  • I don't think the 3800 will matter a bit to the "typical" LeSabre buyer. They want quiet, smooth, dependable, and the 3800 has that written all over it. Your average Buick owner isn't into the latest technology, IMO. Other factors rank higher (again - quiet, smooth, reliable....).

The Lucerne won't win any major converts who are more focsued about what's under hood...and I think that, at least in 2006, the majority will ship with the 3800. It will keep the cost down, avoiding sticker shock. Buick needs a winner right from the start that easily replaces the '00-03 LeSabre's current owners may be looking to trade.

You can argue all day long about what engine should be in the Lucerne, but they have to be SOLD to be successful, and I just don't feel the averge 50/60-something is tinkering under the hood. I doubt he rarely opens it, and ride, handling, comfort will matter more than pushrod vs. whatever to 80-90% of potential Buick buyers, IMO.

The Lucerne sure is a heck of a lot more interesting that the outdated Grand Marquis - the LeSabre's major competitor!