Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• kfrielkfriel Posts: 31
    I'm keenly interested in the Lucerne. Love the styling. To my eye it resembles (vauguely) the Maserati Quattroporte coach lines.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I read th review in C&D today and they were generally positve. I was surprised by their praise for the interior, they were really loving it. They called the exterior bland and derivative, which I dont agree with. I was glad to see 0-60 time was under 7secs which is where I felt it should've been all along. The Lucerne interior looks much better with the Nav screen so I'll be glad when it becomes available.
  • I took a quick look at the C and D review at a magazine rack...I thought the review's author was a knucklehead. I'd give him a hint: just review the damn car, don't continue stereotypes. Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I'm 41, act like I'm 21 (sometimes)and my wife is a former model (now doctor) and, gee, I LIKE Buicks. Oh, and I've lived all over the world in big trendy cities and I actually have hair gel in my bathroom and I've hung out at Hollywood parties. Here's a secret: They're reliable, fast and the insurance is a bargain. I used to live in LA and I've seen enough black Beemers to last a lifetime...
  • I gotta ask. I see that expression all the time - and I don't know what they're talking about. What is a black Beemer? Cliff
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    To my eye it resembles (vauguely) the Maserati Quattroporte coach lines.

Perhaps squinting really hard after two doses of scotch... :D
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    What is a black Beemer?

I see them all the time. A black BMW. Do they come in other colors? ;)
  • kfrielkfriel Posts: 31
    evandro, Preferably a single malt! As for the "Black Bimmer" My understanding is that is the classic "I don't really know anything about cars nor care enough to look into it much but my neighbor has one so perhaps I should have one too" car.
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    algee,

I believe I feel your pain (literally).....so am I to assume you have an Avalon? And if so, what year?
    Are you having any issues with your front seats? Seems like no matter what I do.....how I adjust the seats.....I have lower back pain the longer I drive my Avalon. It really ticks me off and surprised me......so we may be in the same boat......"What a mistake I made".....sounds very similiar to what I feel at this moment!
  • Exactly. Sorry, I'll call it a Bimmer insteed of Beemer. Whatever. Go Beverly Hills and play Find The Car that's Not a Black BMW or Mercedes.

Kinda scary. Our entertaiment business, marching in paranoid lockstep....
  • algeealgee Posts: 78
    I have a 2006 Avalon Limited. Those front seats are horrible and I have the same problem as you.

THe shift hesitation bothers me too. If you have an emergency situation and need to punch it, you loose about 1-2 seconds while it makes up its mind to go.

I am now beginning to hate this car and that is the first time in my life with lots of cars I felt that way.

Hope all works out well for you

Al
  • jmw4jmw4 Posts: 67
    I looked at the new Avalon before I bought my LaCrosse CXS. The Avalon seats were a major show stopper for me. The seat bottoms are very short unless you get the optional seat extenders. Toyota actually shortened the length of the seats from the previous styled version and took away the height adjustment on the power pasenger seat. The LaCrosse has at least for me very comfortable seats. I sat in the Lucerne and those seats are even better.
    The seats rated very highly in a quantitative comparison to the old Camry and Lexus 300. The only complaints I have heard are the bottom length is a bit too long for those with shorter legs. Always a compromise that has to be worked out. Looks like Avalon spent the extra on the optional seat extenders. Often these add ons are less comfortable. How did the seat bottom extenders feel?
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    Wow, that stinks. Sorry to hear it. Drove my CXS from Philly to Pittsburgh and back, about 5 hours one way, without any problems like that. Of course, had my back started bothering me, I could have just put the heated seats on to try to loosen it up.

Only complaints I have are minor. Don't like how wide the turning radius is, and the "coin holder" is a pain to deal with when you're actually driving. Even my teenage nephews love this car, almost as much as the convertible Camaro SS I own.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    I just read in the March 2006 issue of Car and Drive magazine how the new 2006 Buick Lucerne tests out at 68 db when the car is driven at 70 mph.

GM has stated that the car is very quiet but this reading is not significantly impressive in view of the fact that a number of the Lucerne's competitors such as the new 2006 Lincoln Zephyr and the always impressive Acura TL are also very quiet.

So just how does this reading distinguish the new Lucerne from the competition?

In view of all the hype regarding how quiet the Lucerne is, the 70 mph reading should be substantially lower.

Does anyone who has the new Lucerne CXS think it is quieter than the 68 db reading would suggest?
    Does anyone who has the new Lucerne CXS think it is quieter than the 68 db reading would suggest?

How do you have any idea what 68 db even means? I worked in the noise area for years and 68 db means nothing to me unless you take into context the type of noise that is being produced.

GM has stated that the car is very quiet

From what I have read from independent reviewers the car is very quiet.
  • jmw4jmw4 Posts: 67
    The Avalon seat extender helped provide more support for the thigh, but that only helps the driver. I don't think there is an extender for the passenger, plus I believe it is only available on the expensive limited model. Toyota products in general have short seat bottoms relative to most American and Honda/Acura products. I think it comes down to whatever one is used to. The Lucerne/Lacrosse seats are very comfortable, though the Lacrosse seat could use a little more side support.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    After sitting in the Lucerne seats... the bucket seats with console are far less comfortable than the seats in my 2003 Avalon. The Lucerne split seat option with no console has a much better feel and would be my personal choice if the sides were supportive enough.. did not have time for the test drive while at the dealer and it was raining hard anyway. Fit-and-finish looked great.
  • I have a black CXS and all i can say is it is the quietest overall car I have ever ridden in. This includes LS430's, A6's (my tradein), avalons, etc. It's almost eery quite. The only sound that you notice is the throaty burble of the V8! :D

Hope this helps!!
    bob
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    algee,

Thanks for your response, as well with everyone who responded.....I can tell you this....I have owned MANY cars in my day.....and this is the first time I can honestly say that I have had any type of seat issue...especially to the point of wanting to get rid of the car.....my commute is 45-60 minutes one way and by the time I get to work or get home after the commute my lower back is really sore.....no matter how I try and adjust the seat and the lumbar support.....to me the lumbar support feels like a pointed spear that is being pushed into my back.....instead of a somewhat rounded lumbar.....
    Anyway....I am going to get into another vehicle as soon as I can.....this stuff is for the birds! I have driven the Lucerne......and I must admit.....the car was real nice! In other words, this is no longer your daddy's Buick!
    Good luck to you in your search for trying to solve your problem.....as it sounds.....we both have the same type of issues!
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    I don't know what that number should me in comparison either. I do know that this is by far the quietest car I have ever been in, by far. At first it was strange at how quiet it was, although I've now gotten used to it.