Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• krhokrho Posts: 1
    I rented a Lucerne at National Rent-a-Car in Washington (Dulles) over the weekend. It was a platinum CXL V-6 with the "Driver Confidence" package, a 40/20/40 bench seat and XM radio. It had 1,300 miles and I added about 280 to the total over three days. This was during a period of continuous rain, I might add. My impressions:

Excellent highway manners, even in the rain. The traction control and ABS worked fine. I found it a bit ponderous to park and maneuver around smaller spaces, but I drive a Honda Accord at home so there's my bias. I also found the visibility to be a little lacking, especially around the very thick A-pillars. It did feel well-controlled and much more responsive than Buicks of the past.

I liked the interior a lot; the quality of materials was much better than any GM car I've seen. It wasn't hot in D.C. so the leather (titanium, non-perforated) felt fine to me. No squeaks or rattles were heard. The displays and controls were easy to learn. I did not like the "old school" tilt steering column without a telescoping feature or infinite adjustability. As expected the climate-control worked flawlessly (but GM has always excelled in this area).

Loved the harmon-kardon speakers and sound system. XM plus my Zen audio player was a godsend while sitting in traffic. I also loved the rain-sensing wipers. The rear parking assist was also a nice tool when adjusting to that big back end!

I was about 90% impressed; it felt safe and confident in bad weather and I got 22 mpg in mostly suburban and slow highway driving. And it looked great in those colors.
  • togadelictogadelic Posts: 21
    lucerne can't be had with cloth?
  • trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    Yes but just in the CX edition
  • vantheman1vantheman1 Posts: 18
    hi i am aware of the current 0 percent financing offer through the holiday weekend...does anyone know if the $1500 rebate or incentive is still in play in addition to the 0 percent...i think it was 2.9 percent plus the 1500 rebate before the current deal....thanks....
    can't get the big engine with cloth then can you?
  • trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    GM website is showing the 0% finacing but not mentioning the rebate so I assume its off....

http://www.gm.com/automotive/vehicle_shopping/currentoffers/SE_Consumer_IOU.html-
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    CU tested the Lucerne in the current issue and compared it to Hyundai, Accord, and Camry. Obviously it came in last although it is a much larger car than the first place winner - Accord. This is typical of the CU bias against American cars. Read the article. It also has a test of the DTS -lousy handling, soft seats -uncomfortable on long trips, etc. I have an '03 Deville and take 12 hour drives in it -no back strain at all. Great seats. I get 30 on the road and the engine has plenty of pickup. I've had several cars with the "noisy, rough" 3800. It is the best engine GM makes and is quiet and gets great gas mileage. I'm about to cancel my subscription to this liberal Japanese-biased rag. By the way, I briefly had one of CU's favorites - an '06 Camry Solara SLE convertible. Rode like a truck -my '01 Malibu rode like a Cadillac compared to it- convertible flex except on glass smooth roads. I managed to dump it in a month.
  • Agree completely.
    The Avalon ride does not begin to come close to Lucerne. I felt every tar strip,seam, and patch, in the road,(Forget about potholes.)
    Ride is my #1 priority,then quiet, then performance.I hope I give Lucerne a compliment when I say it's ride is "Limo-like". For those who want to take the exit ramp faster ,CXL,or CXS awaits.

When I first read your message I thought YOU were saying
    the 3800 engine was "noisy and rough" but in a re-read I
    know you mean this is the unique view of CU.
    I've had that engine for 12 years and just bought another!
  • drat19drat19 Posts: 28
    I thought my experiences re the above subject line might be of interest to readers on this board.

I own an '06 Chevy Impala LTZ (almost completely loaded) that I bought last Sept, 12K miles to date and I love driving it. However, even at this early juncture in my ownership I'm considering an upgrade to something with a larger rear seat (my main complaint about my Impala), more comfortable seating overall, and a few more creature comforts. And I happen to like an "American car ride". The Lucerne CXS thus made its way onto my shopping list.

I test drove a Lucerne CXS loaded with just about everything I would want, except the tester didn't have a sunroof nor the touch screen nav/stereo system. Still, enough to get the impressions I needed.

I found the driving experience to be about what I expected. Comfy and roomy interior, front and rear (I stand 6'3" and tote just over 300 lbs), somewhat floaty but quite acceptable ride and handling, and the dash/controls sharing equipment with my Impala's (albeit with a few more internal features), and since I really like my Impala's controls, a familiar and positive review on that front as well. Great sound system, too (love the HK over my Impala's Bose). And yet, the Lucerne is now off my shopping list. Why?

I had read in the reviews and also on these forums that the Lucerne, esp with the V8 squeezed under the hood, sacrificed turning radius. I pulled my tester into what I considered to be an average parking lot and gave it the test there. Sure enough, it took me 4 moves to complete what would be a typical 2-turn turnaround maneuver for my Impala or just about every other car I've driven. I got back behind the wheel of my Impala and reflected upon my Lucerne test drive, and while I enjoyed every other aspect of it, I couldn't get past this low-speed, limited-space maneuverability shortcoming. I also couldn't help thinking in comparison, "Gee, I really like how my Impala drives and handles."

Everyone's got their own aspects of a car that they consider "less than positive but I can deal with it", vs. "this is a showstopper", and I surprised myself to find that this seemingly-minor shortcoming in the Lucerne was my showstopper.

I'm shying away from the Avalon at this point due to the repeated reports of reliability issues (at least by previous Toyota and Avalon model standards (I owned a '95 Avalon several years ago)), and the Azera isn't up to my creature/feature standards just yet (I'm VERY discriminating about my sound system req'ts, XM and iPod input capabilities, etc.), and I'm not sure I'm ready to break the $36K price barrier for the obvious choices above that. So for now, it's "Onward, Impala..."

Discussion?
    buick has the common sense to keep offering bench seats

those dumbarses at ford (I used to be a ford guy) have gone giant console on ALL of their cars but the crown vic
    the large car SHOULD be a growing market

larger consumers that drive all the trucks as commuter vehicles when they don't really use them as trucks will start going to larger cars because they can fit and the mpg just makes more sense
  • sgtslatesgtslate Posts: 16
    Well I finally decided on a new car and it is a brand new loaded up 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL in the stealthy Sharkskin color. I test drove so many cars and this one had every gadget I wanted and drives so quiet. My Lucerne is loaded with almost all the options. Navigation, Remote start, Air conditioned seats, etc. I was a hard core Japan Honda/Toyota fan but GM sucked me back in with this beatiful sedan. Well the zero percent interest didn't hurt either. Even though I am still euphoric over my new purchase, I am really happy with it and think I made the right decision. bravo GM on a really classy car!
    when will it get the new tranny?
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    Probably will not get one.
  • Yes I have 4 American choices,that I had to narrow to one,and it too may have a problem.

Buick Lacrosse same platform as Impala. Has a premium 3.6L
    engine with a text book flat torque curve, that might be great to drive.However it's still MID-size and has standard radio.

Caddy CTS 3.6L engine with 5 speed auto,BOSE high-end audio
    but still is a MID-size car.

Finally as I've only owned GM cars I hesitate to suggest #3&4

Mercury Grand Marquis RWD has THE MOST INTERIOR ROOM
    We all know it's old school design and would need a radio aftermarket upgrade.

Chrysler 300 Touring FULL-SIZE Sedan 250HP V6, with 5speed auto. It has a 276 watt Boston Acoustics Radio with Sirius Sattelite option.
    I think this version retails for less than 30K.This car has an exceptionally long wheelbase ,and think it affects turning radius,which is large also at 1or2 feet less than Lucerne?

Remember when selecting the sunroof option you give up 2 INCHES of headroom.

Car shopping was easier when we had a few more American
    choices like Olds88,Pontiac Bonneville,etc.

Keep readers here informed,Thanks.
  • mark_wnymark_wny Posts: 64
    my innocent inquiry a few pages back (on V-6 vs. V-8) generated a lot of posts - all of them very helpful. All in all, I'm getting ever more interested in Lucerne!
    the chrysler 300 doesn't offer bench seats though does it?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,369
    I believe the look of the blacked out grill is preferred over the chromed grill. In the 2003 models the Celebration Edition had the blacked out grill--sportier look or cooler look, whichever way you want to say it.

Don't shoot the messenger please. I own one with the blacked out grill. They're all plastic, I assume, just chrome coated.
    buick forums out there that deal with buick like hondasuv?
    do you have to use premium gas?
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    No. I have the Northstar and have used all grades of gas without any noticable difference in performance, although I haven't paid close attention to try to track the difference.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The difference in performance between regular and premium is very subtle. If you are happy with the regular, there is no point in paying for premium. I use premium in my 2002 Seville, which has the same engine as the Lucerne. Where I notice difference is in the down shifts under full throttle, with regular there seems some hesitation after a downshift, while on premium there isn't. There does not seem to be any difference in fuel consumption.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Considering replacing our '04 Suburban (gas hog, and just too much unused space) with a new Lucerne.

The model of choice would be a CXL V6, and the local dealer we deal with has about 8 of them, all that same model--and 2 are pretty much exactly what I think we'd want. Just a single option each, a Platinum/Titanium with chrome wheels and a White Opal/Cashmere with 6-CD.

It looks like the current bonus rebate is $1500, according to GM, but Edmunds also lists an additional dealer incentive of $1000 if the vehicle was invoiced prior to 4/1/06--i.e., old stock. Any idea if this is really true? And is the 2.9% financing limited to a certain term?

Planning on driving one for the first time tomorrow, but already like the looks, the gas mileage, and the price.
  • Welcome! Please let the Forum know your , road test impressions of this car.

As you are a first time driver of Lucerne, they may be more accurate than mine which are biased!

This format allows you to plug in words you choose using the "search " function ,but if you have time, reading some older messages may give you some detailed info about this great automobile.
  • b88lazerb88lazer Posts: 21
    Is this forum still active?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Yep, got a question/comment?
  • For Readers:FYI
    Some time ago someone wanted to know if Lucerne had Auto- Level Control. It Definetly does.
    This was included on my older Park.Ave and I can say that the car's ride and handling is great,even when loaded with four or five people and luggage. (and we have all seen cars on the highway with their rear bumpers far closer to the ground than the front when loaded like this).It was not found on Lesabre until 2000,(I think).

Strangely the 2006 Lucerne Brouchure says nothing about it, but the Caddy 2006 DTS(both cars made at same factory) Brouchere shows it's standard. I hope it will be listed in '07 and hate to think GM wants it this way!

My 2007 ordering info given to me by a Dealer shows it as standard on all models. When I thought about buying an '06 I called a contact at the factory and he said it was on all '06 models also.
    >It was not found on Lesabre until 2000,(I think).

Strange, my 98 LeSabre has it. And earlier LeSabres, like 1989, had auto load leveling. Not all Park Avenues had it. The base models, e.g., in 95 didn't seem to have it when I had one as a loaner.
  • I stand corrected to a degree.

I know that when I bought in '94 it was Standard on all versions of the Park Ave.

As I have the '94 Full line Brochure I just learned that auto-level
    was included with the LeSabre "grand touring"suspension option only.

Once had a blown fuse that prevented auto level from working
    in my car and that may have been situation in the '95 you mention.

Perhaps in '2000 it became standard on LeSabre

The Buick fans here keep each other accurate!
    You might want to see if the load leveling was included in the Limited's SE option package. It was available on 93 and 98 when I bought them.

The 95 Park Avenue didn't have it because I looked. There were no lines to the rear struts. I'd noticed it didn't have the pump run after starting so I looked.