Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• This"Buick Lucerne" Forum is the best source of observer/owner info concerning the Buick Lucerne at Edmunds. However a companion Forum has been made available.

A detailed message about the Lucerne is posted on a newer
    Forum called "Large Sedans for under $30,000 Comparison."

Click on that Forum at the start of the choices found in the Buick Lucerne Message Board heading.

Posting #108(@ Large Sedans---) took me quite some time to write, but I think a prospective buyer might find it helpful.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Its called dither and can vary from imperceptable to slight. There is a small valve that opens and closes to vary the pressure and can sometimes be felt.
    The wider tires would rub the black metal in the front which did not change from the old LeSabre. Therefore higher steering limits were built in.

Also the new Lucerne steering is quite a bit more sporty/sensitive than the old LeSabre. Buick has been racheting up the steering/handling and compromises are made which some will not like.
  • wayne55wayne55 Posts: 7
    Yes, the alignment has been done.
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    Here's the info I got on the clicking problem, although I'm not sure it quite matches my experiences. It's "document number" 1761596 (not sure of that's a TSB number or not). Subject is "static, whine, or loud pop noise in speakers when radio or ignition is on." Begins by saying this occurs when it is turned on, and mine can occur at any time. The cause is "instrument panel wire harness may be cut or chafed by the steering whell column bracket." Labor time to repair and reroute the instrument panel wire harness is listed as .5 hours.
  • Rake2

Thanks for info. I will save it.
  • Determined to read older postings.

YES a car is a rolling billboard, great "free" advertising.

Buick definitely should have retained the3 color tri shield emblems,rather than saving a buck, and use chrome only.
  • I have been looking in the Cadillac & Buick websites at the
    DTS & Lucerne CXS, I've noticed that the DTS offers overdrive with the NorthStar but the Buick website does
    mention overdrive for Lucerne CXS w/NorthStar. Does anyone know if this is available with the Buick?
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    It has overdrive.
    Color was not done to save money.

The chrome shield with see thru to the body is much more high end appearing. Simple and sharp.
    All GM cars have "overdrive" today.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    More to the point, the northstar V8 comes with a "northstar" transaxle. For the base 275 hp northstar, the axle ratio has been 3.11:1, with the 4th gear rato (overdrive) 0.68:1. On my 2002 Seville that combination allows the engine to run at about 2000 RPMs at 70 MPH.

The high performance northstar would get a 3.71:1 axle ratio and the Pontiac Bonneville's with the northstar V8 also got the 3.71:1 axle ratio.
  • Thank You sls for the info very much appreciated
  • jh1977jh1977 Posts: 40
    I hope GM make changes to the Buick Lucerne for model year 2008, such as a more modern V6 engine like the 3.9 Liter or 3.6 Liter and other refinements the car needs as noted in some car review websites. If no changes are made by model year 2008, I will leave Buick (I currently drive a Buick LeSabre) and might buy a 2008 or later Ford 500 or Mercury Montego with its new 3.5 Liter V6 engine, with 250 HP, split folding rear seatbacks and other amenities currently not available in the 2006 Lucerne with the 3800 V6 (an outdated engine for 2006).
  • hjw1hjw1 Posts: 17
    The problem I have with the 3.9 is that it has a cast iorn block, and aluminum heads. I think that is asking an awful lot from a head gasket.

The 3800 is reliable and efficient. A solid engine.

If you would like more HP than the 3800, why not go with the Northstar?
  • jh1977jh1977 Posts: 40
    Have you heard the latest news. The 3800 is being phased out by GM in calendar year 2008 and the 3.9 Liter engine is its successor. I prefer a strong V6 engine in a car the size of the Lucerne. A V8 engine burns to much gas for me.
  • hjw1hjw1 Posts: 17
    Yep, thats why I'm planning to purchase either a Lucerne or Lacrosse in 2007.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,804
    The 3.9 is hardly what I would call a modern V-6. It's roots come from the old 2.8 Chevy V-6 found in the Citation and it still uses pushrods. I wouldn't go near one.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• The LS7's roots come from the 1955 Chevy 265 small block and it still uses pushrods too. What a piece of junk! LOL!
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,804
    The Chevy small-block's main virtues are low cost and ubiquity. It is hardly a technical tour de force. In fact, back when each GM division had its own V-8 engine architecture, it was generally considered the weakest of them all.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    Saw '06 and '07 Lucrene CXL's side by side on the dealers lot Wednesday. Identical except the '07 was $12,200 more :(
  • jef4jef4 Posts: 11
    The 2006 CXL I looked at was about $32000. Are you telling me that the same car for 2007 was $44200? I just bought a 2007 CXL (picked it up today) and it was about the same price as the 2006. The dealer must be living next door to Bill Gates.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    According to kbb.com the difference in 06/07 base price is about $1200. on the CXL V8. What extra items does the '07 have as standard that the '06 does not?
    I meant 12 hundred dollars more, sorry about that :D
    and the CXL's I where looking at where V-6's so it appears to be 12 hundred across the board

I think the only difference in the 2 is the inceased price not any additional equipment
    Looks like a heated steering wheel was added as standard on the CXS.

Alos tire pressure monitoring is standard
  • I believe my 06-CXL is equipped with the tire pressure monitor.
    Not the same. I think the '06 is ABS based while the 07 has a sensor in each wheel.
  • The Info I have is as follows:
    (Destination Charges Excluded)

2006Lucerne MSRP CX $25,990(Source Buick Website)---- 2007 CX $25,440 or $550 less. (Source Edmunds)

2006Lucerne MSRP CXL $27,790(Source Buick Website)---- 2007 CXL $28,460 or $670 more. (Source Edmunds)

Two new exterior colors and two new combination interior colors are new for 2007. Tire pressure monitors now standard, on all trim levels,Heated steering wheel is part of a Luxury Package(PCK) on CXL and is Standard on CXS.

However a $1500 cash rebate is available only on 2006 Models until 9/5/06.(as of this date)