Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• jef4jef4 Posts: 11
    I find the seats uncomfortable. I have a 2007 Lucerne with bench seats. I am 6' 4" tall and with a bad back. After a couple of hours in this car I can barely get out due to back pain. I had the chiropractor sit in the car to find the problem. He said that my hips are always lower than my knees. I can't move the seat to its highest position because GM made sure that my head would hit the roof. (I couldn't get a sun roof). I could also correct the problem If I could move the seat back more (which of course I can't). I have eased the pain somewhat by sitting on a pillow.I wish the seat was more comfortable because I do love this car.
  • Since I live in a very hot climate, I haven't had many occasions to use the heated seats. The times i did use them I didn't have any noticable over heating problems, but I used them on the lowest setting.
    My only complaint about the seats is that I can't raise them high enough.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    I've driven the CSX and it is as smooth as silk.

No such thing. CXS :P
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Posts: 124
    No such thing. CXS

Sometimes my typing skills leave a lot to be desired, ;)
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Posts: 124
    I find the seats uncomfortable. I have a 2007 Lucerne with bench seats. I am 6' 4"

Sometimes I'm glad that I'm only 5'10
  • jrodenjroden Posts: 8
    I really like my Lucerne, I find the V6 is powerful enough for normal driving and delivers outstanding mileage, especially on the highway where it lopes along at 28mpg, maybe 24-25 for mixed driving. I don't think the 4 speed is a huge issue either, it seems like that engine has a pretty flat torque curve. It seems like the auto writers really want cars to get up and go, I just want to drive around like a normal person.

I find the car handles kind of strangely. Especially on a sweeping turn like an off ramp, it may be a tire issue or something else, the car feels rubbery and tends to dart from side to side. I can live with it just fine, but if shocks or tires would address it, I'd be tempted to go this route.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,548
    How is the wear on your tires?
    What pressures are you running the fronts at?
    Has the car been aligned?--if I read your previous post right you bought a CXL and it was used. So I'm wondering how much tread is left on the tires. Low pressure especially fronts could make it skitting. I like 33-35 in my LeSabres with Michelins when the factory says 30. But alignment could be real factor.
  • jrodenjroden Posts: 8
    It feels aligned right, I'm at 32 psi and the car has 22K miles w/ original tires, they seem to be in good shape. I believe it may be design related as the handling of this car seems to get mentioned a lot, especially the non-V8 model w/o the magnatrack. It's not a problem, just a quirk of this particular car.

The other 2 little dislikes is the trunk hinges that protrude into the tunk space and the lack of a fold down rear seat to open the trunk up for carrying more junk. I really like the car for comfy highway driving, which is what I bought it for, plus it's safe.
  • Just wondering if anyone here 'traded down' to the Lucerne from a more expensive or big name marque - Lexus, Cadillac, M. Benz, Jaguar, BMW, etc.
  • I just bought a 06 CX used. As we came in and sat at the salesmens desk for delivery, I was able to look at the paper work left sitting on the table and saw that some person traded an 05 Lexus (forgot the model) for a 08 Lucerne. They have him 21k for the 05 Lexus with 15k on the clock and charged him 28k for 08 CXL. Had I not see the deal in writing I would not have believed it.

Yes it does happen Lexus to Lucerne.
    From Lexus to Buick does not surprize me since many of the Lexus buyers came from Buick. The age group is the same. The comfort type ride is the same. Now MB or BMW would be a much harder sell.

Many Camry buyers also came form Buick.
  • I think I should be on a commission for Buick. One friend of the family traded in her 4 year old gold badged Lexus on a CXL V8 after riding in our Lucerne. Said she liked driving the Lucerne better and thought it was more comfortable and looked better.
    Then the same thing happened to this woman. One of her friends traded her 2004 Accord for a CXL V6 after a ride in the Buick.
    Our insurance agent traded a 2002 Caddy for a Lucerne CXL V6. I won't take that much credit for this one because he had been looking at them for a year, but he did ask many questions of me after we bought ours. He said he saved thousands over a new Caddy and bought nearly the same car, since they are on the same platform.
    If that was not enough, the next door neighbor traded her 2002 Lesabre for a CXL V6, after liking ours so much. She unnecessarily apologized for getting the same make and model we got for the last two cars, but did make a point of telling us she did not get the same color on purpose, even though she liked ours better. I was happy she chose a Lucerne. Now my job is convincing her not to put one of those horrible fake convertible tops on it, like every car she has owned for the last 20 years.
  • thank you all for the feedback. :D
  • The noise you are experiencing sounds like the one I had. It drove me crazy! It sounded like a vibration on or around the rear window shelf area. I finally found the problem by crawling into the trunk with a flashlight and closing the trunk. Not to worry -- there is an emergency trunk release inside the trunk. The problem was caused by the two spring tension rods that run between the trunk hinges. With the trunk closed -- the rods were close enough to vibrated against each other. I took an 8" length of rubber vacuum hose with an inner diameter the same size as the tension rod (purchased from the local car parts store) and sliced it length-wise with a razor blade. Then I slipped it over one of the tension rods at the point where they are riding against each other. Lock the piece of hose in place with two or three nylon tie-straps and that should do it.
  • rmellormello Posts: 11
    Build a fuel gauge that works correctly, the same as all other Buicks ever built.
  • waltchanwaltchan Posts: 123
    Is 2008 the last year for the 3800 Series III engine for the Lucerne and Lacrosse? Or no? Please help me.
    Not sure about the Lucerne but the LaCrosse should have the 3800 till the new model.
  • I have a 2006 Lucerne and will never buy another again. It is
    such a downgrade from my 2000 LeSabre. Problems in order from new:
    Transmission cover leak
    Headliner fell out
    Trunk release Dead
    Scratches on paint.
    Car on had almost 0 miles on it.

Since then:
    Vibration issues..still rides like a tank on the highway even though the dealer put new tires and worked on the problem extensively.
    Pulls to the left.
    Memory mirrors dead
    Bottom molding nearly fell off..was held on by one clip instead of four.
    Rear door electrical connect loose.
    Inspection plate on transmission loose.
    Dash lights not working on bright days.
    Clunk noise in steering
    Driver door creaking
    Twice. now...no electrics, no start. No nothing.
    Six CD changer noise
    Remote start... Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    Heated seats.. Sometime it works, sometimes not

And the latest...a noise in the transmission like keys rattling. Dealer says it is terribly noisy and annoying but come back when it gets worse. He really means, come back when the warranty is up.

Like we try to forget bad memories, I probably have forgotten some other problems. The car is noisy, with unexplained clunks and bangs, and wind noise is so bad, I sometimes think I have left a window down or door ajar. The vehicle has been back to the dealer so many times, I am sure it has its own dedicated garage bay.

I have owned Buicks all my life. My wife still drives our 2000 LeSabre as we could not bear to part with such a nice car that gave us no trouble at all. 160,000 miles and everything is original except the oil, the plugs and wires.

The Lucerne is my last Buick and probably my last GM. If GM changed the LeSabre/Park Avenue to the Lucerne to compete with the Lexus, they did a very poor job. Lexus will be getting my Lucerne as a trade, it they will even take the piece of junk.
  • Geez, I wish that were the case for my Lucerne. Mine is garbage..... I can list you 20+ things wrong with mine, some of which have been corrected after numerous visits to the dealer, and others that they cannot/will not fix. Wack on the head...I 'shuda' bought a Lexus.
  • rake2rake2 Posts: 120
    I know this is going to sound odd, but has anyone else seen any unexplained roof dings in their car? I now have 2, the second just coming in the past few weeks. I realize it's most likely from a branch falling on the car, but I've noticed no evidence of that happening, and certainly haven't had anything hit the car while I was driving it. I now have about 33,000 miles on the car, and other cars that I've parked in the same spot haven't had this issue, at least not without leaving noticeable debris. Also, the dings seem to be far smaller and precise that what is normal from a falling branch.
    On some cars in the past there was a piece of rubber rube around one torsion bar. It was about 6 inches long or less--just enough to keep them from touching. I'll bet yours should have had one from the factory. That would cause a noise in an area hard to diagnose and you would only hear it under certain bumps and movements while driving!
    On some cars in the past there was a piece of rubber rube around one torsion bar. It was about 6 inches long or less--just enough to keep them from touching. I'll bet yours should have had one from the factory. That would cause a noise in an area hard to diagnose and you would only hear it under certain bumps and movements while driving!
    Some cars I've had in the past had a 6 inch piece of rubber around the middle of the bar to keep it from making a noise against the other one. Maybe yours should have had it from the factory or it got knocked off somehow.
  • I chose the Buick Lucerne as my business car and have only two major complaints. Both are simple design flaws:

I am on the road a lot and usually have a beverage while driving. The front seat cupholders are too shallow to hold a large cup of coffee in place when cornering. Ouch...A large cup of Starbucks really burns!

When the windows are rolled down even a crack when it is raining, water rolls off the top and pours into the car onto the door instrument controls, front seat and me.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,577
    How about putting the lower decklid chrome molding on ALL models, standard? I think the difference in the look of the rear of the car is changed many times for the better with the simple addition of this molding.

Bill
  • oldguy8oldguy8 Posts: 12
    Has anyone had trouble with the outdoor temp. sensor?
    Mine sometimes registers a false reading.
  • joemc4joemc4 Posts: 2
    Hi Folks, 5000 miles ago i traded a 2001 Toyota Avalon for a 2007 Lucerne. Toyota was the base model with 35,000 miles and the Lucerne was bought used with 22,000 miles. I have the v6 Lucerne with leather. As many others have said the seats in the Avalon were terrible, driving to Fla was torture till i bought one of those heated vibrating seats. The ride far better in the Buick, the handling better in the Toyo. Around town mileage is slightly better in the Toyota and the Buick better on the highway. The leg room is far better for me in the Buick, i was so sick of that foot rest on the inside left wheel housing of the Toyo. The Toyota was a decent car, but vastly overated. Had it in twice for air conditioner work which was not cheap and other repair issues. Maintained the Toyo per the book, which again is expensive. For my money, noting the difference in model years, upkeep and comfort the Lucerne is far superior to the Avalon. As others have said, reliability is not an issue with Buicks and Consumer Reprts agree's.
  • joemc4joemc4 Posts: 2
    By the way, when Volvo was caught during that now infamous staged car demonstration they were using 2x4's not plywood to strengthen their Volvo and the roof pillars