Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• oldguy8oldguy8 Posts: 12
    Power, power, power, it should be mileage, mileage, mileage, I don't give a rip how fast I can get from 0 to 60, it's how much gas it takes at each fill up for miles driven!
    Like the fit and finish, not completely satisfied with gas mileage, from past Buick's this is a very different design that is going to take some getting used to.
  • jg585jg585 Posts: 9
    Yes, above the RR door. very strange
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Is anyone CURRENTLY comparing these vehicles?
  • scandiakenscandiaken Posts: 11
    How come nobody has asked for better lighting on the gauges?
    Can others read the gauges when the lights are on "auto" and you
    are heading into the sun or wearing sunglasses or both?
    Is there an available fix for this?
    Is that why it is not being mentioned here in this blog?
  • jg585jg585 Posts: 9
    I have an ’07 Lucerne and have not had an issue with the gauges under any conditions. Hm?
    Good luck with that.
    My seats are awful.
  • scandiakenscandiaken Posts: 11
    Do you have bucket seats? Lots of complaints about those.
    I have the bench 40-20-40 seats (without leather)
    We have been happy with those
    Suppose there is a connection between the floor shift and the
    instrument lighting?
    I also have the shift lever on the steering column the way god intended
  • wr_guywr_guy Posts: 13
    I had an Acura Legend and an MB 420SEL before this CSX. The MB was 3 times the price and was a great car but not perfect. Other than the fact that the Buick is front drive and the construction is not MB class it is similar to the MB. The Acura was a much smaller car but very nice and trouble free.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    That was my first impression as well with the Lucerne CXS. Big, solid, and heavy. It drives exactly like a Mercedes 420. Not bad, really, when you consider that the S Class was the best car in the world a decade or so ago. But it's not a modern luxury car - it's basically GM doing Hyundai's trick. Taking 10 year old technology and selling it for a fraction of the price. Not that cars a decade ago were rubbish. It's just that if you want a good box to get around for the least money, get the Hyundai. If you want a good luxury car for the least money possible, the Lucerne is a decent choice.
  • Has any one driven an 09 Lucerne with the 3.9? I have driven the 3.9 in an Impala last spring and it was fairly strong vs the 3.8. I did notice that the 3.9 seemed to burn more fuel than the 3.8.

Thanks
    Same rubbish. GM needs to toss the fleet sales and also the fleet engine V6. The car is just too heavy and the gearing is still too tall to compete. Or even be remotely enjoyable. The V8, though, is a good solid design. Gobs of power and the magnetic ride suspension is a massive improvement.

One feels great to drive. One feels like a cheap rental. A really stark difference, actually.
  • Last weekend I drove an '09 Lucerne 3.9 V-6 from an Enterprise rental. The car had only 4000 miles on the odometer and drove well. The 3.9 engine was another matter. It did not seem to have a lot of get up and go. It was also noisy. I am glad that I bought a Lucerne with the 4.6 liter Northstar. It is like driving a totally differnt car, as related directly above.
  • lane2lane2 Posts: 28
    I just purchased a 2007 CXL V8 with 40-40-20 front seats. So far I have found only one 12 volt outlet, in the ashtray area. The owners manual states that the bucket seat CXL has 2 more in the storage area of the console but I doesn't mention where any more are located on the seat configuration I have. Has anyone found any more outlets? Surely there is more than one.
  • kkrinnkkrinn Posts: 14
    On my 2006 Lucerne, the additional outlets are located in the front of the driver's seat, down by your ankle and in the very bottom of the console well.
  • lane2lane2 Posts: 28
    Thanks. I just checked and there is one in the same location. Thought I had checked everywhere. Don't know why it isn't mentioned in the owners manual.
  • I purchased my CPO CXS one month ago with 11,000 miles on it. Since then, I've been plagued with an over the road vibration/shimmy that's noticeable between 50 to 65 MPH. Four service visits and three sets of B/S Turanza El 400's later, I still have the vibration. The tires have been road force balanced and the dealer will not upgrade me to different rubber to completely rule out the (they are just crappy tires) factor. Several posts on Edmunds have noted the B/S Turanza as a difficult tire to balance and Discount Tire posts are inundated with bad customer reviews. It seems as though many others out there have had similar complaints about both a highway vibration/shimmy and a jelly like reverberation sensation that lingers after going over bumps. I've gone for test drives with my Tech and I never seem to get any type of definitive answer as to what the hell this is. Trying to think logically, tires and balance first, h/balancer or a pulley, c/v joint, rotor out of round, strut or suspension part, someone at the dealership has to have some sort of trouble shooting outline for this? Has anyone had their vibration problem pinpointed and resolved, so that I can go to my dealer with some sort of game plan? I've been in the limousine business for 26 years, and have several hundred thousand miles on K body DeVilles and never recall a vibration issue like I'm currently experiencing. The CXS was purchased to be my personal car, as I liked the looks of it over the STS or DTS, and very much liked the pricing structure on the CPO program. I'm beginning to regret my decision. I traded a 2000 Cartier Towncar that I had for eight trouble free years with 122,000 miles on it. It was my first Ford as a personal vehicle and it was a stellar automobile. My return to the General, has been far from that. So, if anyone can assist me in my unpleasant journey to right this Lucerne, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks! CXSROBB
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,190
    Will the dealer transfer a set of Michelins from another Lucerne for a temporary test drive on your car? Just bolt the other wheels on.

I thought there was a TPS for this problem after it surfaced in a few cars and seemed untreatable by the usual methods.

Has the car been perfectly aligned front and REAR wheels?
    Have the tires been Road Force balanced on the _perfect_ high sensitivity setting on the 9700? That's what my dealer did on my 03 LeSabre.

Try searching for vibration lucerne in the forums here on Edmunds... and the internet.

Start with this discussion on Edmunds:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f60b1/1
  • I might be able to help you. I have an 06 Lucerne CXS with the V8 and 17" chrome wheels. Right from the get go, there was the same vibration that you are experiencing. After many alignments and road force balances, I bit the bullet and bought a set of Michelins. This helped a lot but did not get rid of the vibration completely. I was travelling through Arizona when my power seat quit, so I stopped at a dealer in Scottsdale to fix the seat and also asked if he knew about this vibration and he told me that they had complaints about it and they thought the fix was replacing one of the motor mounts. So they replaced one of the motor mounts and it fixed the problem 99%. Sorry, don't know what mount it was.
  • Thanks a bunch for your reply. I contacted my service manager regarding my four visits and three sets of B/S Turanza EL 400's. He is meeting with the regional rep this week ans stated he will get approval on replacing the Bridgestones with a different brand. I was informed to request Michelin Primacy MXV 4's, a slightly more expensive tire. They rate out extremely well on all the tire sites and I've had nothing but success for over 25 years running Michelin's on all my vehicles. I've driven company Cadillac DeVilles with the same FWD setup and the Northstar V8 several hundred thousand miles, and have never experienced this speed sensitive highway vibration & shimmy. I do hope the tire swap to a superior product resolves the problem. If not, we'll have to start investigating motor mounts, suspension parts etc. I'm so thoroughly disgusted by this and the many stories emulating mine. My dealership in Tempe, AZ could not be any nicer or apologetic about the inconvenience, however it's time to cut to the chase and get this resolved. I'm 45 years old, and was looking for the same glorious, trouble free, tried and true service my 83 year old father has had with his many Buiks over the years. He's due to trade his 2005 Le Sabre in this year and my initial experience with this Lucerne has soured him on getting into one. Many of my clients have commented on how sharp my CXS looks, and then they get into it and shimmy down the road while watching their pant cuffs and coffee shake. In my little world, this is PR suicide for Buick as everyone comments on how they could not live with such a condition. Thanks again for your advice, and I'll be sure to journal my progress. CXSROBB
  • That is the Michelin I bought. Great tire!
    Like it (cxl) got used to it on my winter trip to Florida, actually more comfortable than my Roadmaster, easy to drive and not tiring, millage good for a loaded car (27 over all) just hope it is more trouble free, time will tell.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Got a great deal on a leftover new Super ($31.7k out the door) when my '07 DTS was pulled ahead by GM. Ride has softened somewhat with break-in, but the Magnetic Ride Control is still firmer than in my DTS. Knew I would have to replace the standard Bridgestone tires in order to make the ride acceptable. Replaced tires with Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds (235/55/18) which adds about 1/2 inch to the tires diameter and about 1/4 inch to the car's ride height. The tires made a big difference when compared to the hard riding and noisy Bridgestones. The car, at 2,600 miles, gets about 18 mpg combined vs. 20 mpg with the DTS. This may be due to the performance tuning and the final drive ratio. Expect that a DTS Performance Edition would get the same mileage as the Super.

Favorite Features: MSRP about $13k cheaper than similarly equipped DTS. Same platform and factory as DTS. Quieter and smoother ride after switching tires, but DTS is still smoother and quieter. Rides much smoother than my '06 Q45. Seats almost as comfy as those in the DTS. Blind Spot Alert system. Low NVH levels.

Suggested Improvements: Dump the Bridgestones. DTS had three seals around each door; Lucerne has only one and one-half (exterior noise more hushed on DTS). DTS and Lucerne both need the Blind Zone alert system. Update both cars for the next decade. Improve fuel economy. A six-speed automatic would be nice. Use soft feel plastic on lower instrument panel like the DTS; the Lucerne has cheap feeling hard plastic there.
  • cjkcjk Posts: 2
    I just bought an 06 Lucerne CX with about 21000 miles on it. After taking it on a road trip of about 650 miles I notice that there are times when one feels a mild vibration in the front end. The tires have obviously been rotated as directed, but there seems to be quite a bit of outside edge wear. And, when starting from a stop sign the engine sometimes coughs silently before powering up. We certainly enjoy the ride over the road, but notice the car is not as smooth over the bumps in the city compared to our 94 Le Sabre, nor is the gas mileage as good. We used to get 30+ mpg on our trips through Iowa (hilly) between Wisconsin and Nebraska with the Le Sabre, and now are lucky to get 27 with the Lucerne. Like the car otherwise, though.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Those old 3.8's got great mileage. Your new Lucerne weighs quite a bit more than the old LeSabre due to more content (safety and personal) and a stiffer structure (more metal).

You should get the car on a four wheel alignment rack. May have been in a minor accident causing some suspension misalignment.
    You should read this topic.
    Lucerne vibrations

You aren't clear as to the type of vibration you are sensing. There were some that are chassis/tire related and I assume that's what you're describing.

If you are saying it's tires or wheels...
    The original tires may not be that good at rolling round under load. They may have worn unevenly due to slight misalignment and not having been rotated at 8000 mi intervals, e.g.

You need to have a _good_ store or dealer do the alignment and put the settings spot on the recommended middle. You don't want the typical tire store saying "it's within the specs range, so it's okay."

You also want to have the tires and rims balanced on a Hunter 9700 Road Force balancer by a technician who knows how to troubleshoot GM vibration. The machines have settings and you want it balanced at the most sensitive setting. If the tires and wheels have more than 12 units (pounds of force) then you may feel it due to the light alloy metals used in the A-arms that move with the wheels and the stiff chassis.

The solution GM found in 2001 and on was that the tires weren't rolling round under load. One side crushes more than the other and the center of the wheel bounces up and down. This has been a known factor since at least 1977 for GM in smoothness of their cars. GM went to Michelin tires on the LeSabre/ Park Avenue, and various Cadillacs in that era because of out of round tires. They sent Michelins to replace tires that came on the cars to help fix the problem.

Another factor can be a motor/transmission mount. I believe that's in the other discussion linked above. Because you say the motor seems to cough when you first tip the throttle into it, I suspect the motor is moving and you're feeling the end of that movement when the mount hits a solid part or catches. Someone knowledgeable about fixing vibrations needs to look at the car. YOu might check around with different dealers to see who has some experienced technicians.

http://www.hunter.com
    http://hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm
    http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Read the info about wheel balancing with Road Force 9700 in these three links. The last one lets you find who has a 9700 in your area. Personally I'd check with a Buick dealer. Actually I'd put new Michelin tires on the car; I've only bought one set that wasn't Michelin in decades and that was a 77 Olds which had GM specification tires on it that were Goodyear. I was trading the car soon.

You might check on the warranty on the car if it transfers... Was it 4 years 48000 miles?
    It's most likely bad tire tread pattern. My truck's Mud Terrains often wander and chatter when they hit certain types of pavement. Some all-season patterns are also very poor and cause similar problems.

This seems to also be backed up by the simple solution that most people have reported as solving it - namely, changing the crap OEM tires for something decent.
  • Has anyone noticed this? No obvious leaks and gas cap is on tight. It is noticeable sometimes when entering or exiting the car.
    Not normal. Is it under the 4 year warranty yet?

Could be a hose off somewhere. Could be a seep around a clamp on the hoses connecting the filler and the tank. Could be a fuel seep under the hood.
    Needs to be checked.

If you are able to crawl under the car and look in places such as the filler tube and the lines that run along the bottom of the car from the tank and fuel filter forward to the motor that's what needs to be done. Else take to dealer or trusted shop.