Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• I agree that your average Lucerne shopper could care less about 0-60 times. They want ride, room and quiet. You're going to get a lot of Crown Vic and Grand Marquis types as well. Whether the age demographic will come down is questionable.

I think it's a nice looking car in pictures - I'll see one in person next week.
  • If the Lucerne will have the shifter available with the wood trim? I have not seen that in pictures.

It just looks funny to me that they have all that beautiful wood trim in the doors and steering wheel (YES!) but not on the shifter?

That would really round out the look.

Also, it would be nice to have it like in the lacrosse, by the window switches.

Otherise this cars looks really big and bold from the photos.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    I've been looking at the 2006 Buick Lucerne too.....guess what I'm 26' so the new style has reached out to a little younger generation.....I like the Lucerne for it's big, bold, Quality appearance, and since I have a wife and 2 kids I need a sedan. The 4 yr. 50k Bumper to Bumper is attractive too....The reliability of Buick is a factor also in my purchase decision.....This may seem weird, but I was cross shopping it with a sporty 06' Lexus IS 350. The Lucerne has the advantages of room. It lacks the performance, and Gadgets of the IS 350. When I do decide to finally purchase my next car, it's going to be a very very tough decision. I want to buy a American Made car, since my family works for GM/Delphi and I get a employee discount.....I just want all the bells and whistles like 5.1 DVD Surround Sound, Voice Recognition with Navigation, heated steering wheel, AC seats, etc etc.......... and the only American Made Cars that have those features are Caddy's like the STS which are $60+K :( I guess all I can do is wait for the next generation Caddy CTS and
    CTS-V which is rumored for 2007 sometime and see if GM has delivered.....However the Buick Lucerne, will defintley stay on my shopping list even though it lacks some of the creature features I was hoping to see on it.....
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I think some of the features you are looking for are going to be rare on a car under $40K. I think the Lucerne has most of the features one would expect for a non-Cadillac luxury car. If it had many more features it would make the more expensive DTS redundant. A fully loaded Lucerne CXS has more features than the base model DTS. The only think it lacks is the HID lights.
  • jb7227jb7227 Posts: 86
    Actually, most of the features you mentioned are going to be available on the Lucerne, although you may have to spring for the top of the line CXS. Navigation will be available mid way through the year, heated and air conditioned seats will be offered in both CXL and CXS, Heated wood steering wheel will also be available later in the model year, and while it may not be the 5.1 system like the STS, there is a Harmon/Kardon uplevel system available, even in the base model CX.
    I ordered one today - a ming blue w/cashmere CX base model, equipped with the driver confidence package, entertainment package (XM radio & harmon/kardon stereo) six passenger seating (I too have two kids) and comfort & convenience package. Im only 37 and this is my 4th Buick. They must be doing something right!
    and to 1487 ......Thanks guys for the comments......I'm happy you guys like the new Lucerne, it's a GM demostration of Quality with Fit and Finish.....I didn't know all that.....I have a brochure, and like it.....The DTS just lacks the 5.1 surround sound I want.....It has the voice recognition system too....I will definitly go see one in person when they come available....are local small town dealership mainly sells buicks and caddy's and most of the time has them in stock.....The Lexus IS 350 does have all those features for a rumored Motor Trend $38-39K....I wished the Lucerne would of gotten a little more Northstar grunt at around 315 or horsepower and a 6 speed auto....All wheel drive would be cool with a DOD system....perhaps in the future ?????......The 5.1 or better surround sound was important to me, because most of my CD's are in DVD-Audio or DVD Music formats.....Trust me, my home theater is 7.1 and once you hear it, you will not want to settle for less..... ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ON THE BUICK VELITE ROADSTER ?????.....GM says it's dead at the momment, but might get the Sigma II archtecture....anyone got anything more to add ?????

P.S. guys what color is that bluish gray color ???? is that sharkskin....it kinda looks like the Acura TL Anthracite color.....The Lucerne has a very similar color.....
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    rocky, go drive a bmw with the HK system. Take along your DVD-audio and you will be satisfied. HK does wonderful things with their logic 7.
  • As a long time Buick owner, I've just about been converted to the Toyota Avalon. It has virtually all the features of the Cadillac STS for about $10,000 less. I'll be looking at the Lucerne when it comes out, but it will have to be something special to beat the Avalon, especially considering the mechanical problems I've had with my last two Buicks.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    The Avalon is nice and has good value I suppose but it's dull. Can't compare a Caddy to a Toyota either, Toyota is not a luxury marque.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,267
    frankly the Avalon looks piggish. It's built on the old Toyota chassis which has been "improved" to carry the Avalon. That's how they call it an all new car.

I don't want bucket seats. I don't like arrogant, pushing salesmen. But the car just looks oversized for it's wheels or something, sort of like the recent Camrys look.
  • this car in person. Now if only buick designed the LeCrosse like it did the Lucerne.

I still can't figure out why they dropped the Park Avenue name.

What were they thinking?
  • Got a chance to see the new Lucerne in person at the Texas State Fair car show.

Like most cars, they look better in person than in pictures,, and this is certainly true of the Lucerne. It is a much bigger car that I had thought, but then Buicks are supposed to be bigger, right?

Anyway, it looked great from every angle and fit and finish were outstanding. There were no disspointments. Of course, the proof is in the test drive, which I will look forward to soon.
    Active Steer or no Active ????....Man some are for it, and others are against it ????.....So the HK system with Logic 7 is a good one....that mimics surround sound right ????.....Do you have any idea what the next M3 sedan will cost someone ????.......I heard the new CTS-V (Next Gen) is suppose to be better than a M5.....I have time on my side to wait....If you do have any new info, I'd appreciate it :)
    What is active steer? Perhaps Stabilitrak? If so then yes if you want both ultimate safety and handling w/o being a skilled ultimate driver. Seriously it is amazing what they can do with computers. GM has said that they will make it standard on all vehicles soon because it really adds a huge safety increase that keeps the vehicle from having to use all it's crush zones and air bags.

Yes I use Logic 7 at home to turn a normal 2 channel CD into not only surround sound but to always make the listener(s) feel like they are in the middle of the sound experience. Every passenger has the music balanced for their position or whereever they move their head. Again computers are amazing and I have no idea how they do it. But, after saying all that I took a look at the website and the Lucerne is not getting the Logic 7. However my earlier post still holds.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2003/05/12/the_harman_kardon_stereo_system_reviewed
    The Avalon has more features than most base model luxury cars, not just the STS. The STS isnt the only car the looks overpriced compared to an Avalon. Try comparing it to the ES330 or GS430 and see how it stacks up. The Avalon isnt stylish in anyway, it's very awkward and ungainly. The inside is too over the top as well. There is nothing elegant about all that faux metallic trim and that ridiculous cover plate that slides over the radio controls. The dash is a modernized version of an 80s Buick, it's really for older people.
    Active Steering is like $2000 option on Bimmers, which increases the boost speed of the power steering systems on BMW. Some like it during sharp curving roads, others hate it, because it doesn't give the driver the feedback that typical BMW drivers love.....I have a Logic 7 option on my Surround sound system, and never knew what it was.....yes it does make the 2 channel sound, sound more like a 360 degree surrround. However it's not sound nearly as good as Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 like my custom home system.
    Perhaps this will be one area that Buick could improve on the Lucerne. Also for the Lucerne to be more competitive they need to add a voice recognition system with a better navigation. I hope the new SUV's atleast on the Denali and Escalade do get these options ? thanx->Rockylee
    No but it does significantly improve a 2 channel CD.

I am still not sure waht Active steering is for $2000. GM has magnasteer on some vehicles which makes it easier to turn the wheel in slow parking lot manuevers but stiffer at highway speeds. NOT a $2000 feature though.
    Here this will teach you about Active Steering

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/bmwindepth/BmwTechnology/Handling

Pro's/Con's of course BMW won't state the con's ;)

If the Bimmer had better styling, I'd consider it. Yes it's the Benchmark for handling, but man in my opinion it got ugly on the inside and outside. I also don't like the iDrive system, because they said that was really hard to operate.
    Yeah the Logic 7 does improve the sound, but the Bimmer should have DVD Surround Sound, for as much as they ask for their cars .....Thanx->rockylee
  • if you want a car to handle like a 5 seriers but look as expensive as it should.
    Thanks for the link. Does the exact same thing as Magnasteer and other systems in other vehicles that are very common. No idea how they get $2000 for it.

Issue is that DVD-audio had not taken off. Just not selling like they wanted to. I got the DVD audio pitch about a year ago (trying to get us to put DVD audio heads in cars) and while it was great there just are not enough people who care enough to buy the equipment in this world of MP3 music. I have to DVD-audios they gave to me and sould great at home. Of course all I listen to now is XM. My CD player jsut sits there and what was that AM/FM thing?:)
    My only disappointment with the car is the base motor really. The looks, materials and quality are great all around and the base CX and CXL are priced right.

I will still test the car, maybe the mounting, sound dentening and tuning of the 3800 will surprise me. If it at least had a 6-speed transmission or something I may be more hopeful. I hope I'm surprised because I love the look and size of the car.
    It does have the series III 3.8 which has added quiet features (structural oil pan for one)
    True. My parents have a 3800 powered LeSabre and it has lots of power also and torque.

I have a feeling the 3800 is a goner soon also which makes it's presence in the Lucerne even stranger. Only 3 cars have the 3800 in 2006, the LaCrosse, Lucerne and Grand Prix.
    Not to strange:

3800 was already in the LeSabre so there was no engineering to put leave it in.

Traditional buyers of Buicks LOVE the 3.8 for many reasons-torque, longevity, etc.

Lucerne is supposedely on a short life time.

They put in a V8 which many buyers will opt for over the supercharged 3.8.

They had to put the 3.8 in something to keep the last module at full production for a few mre years. What better than a Buick for the reasons above. Where else would it go?
    I think the V8 will make up half of Lucerne sales, especially since you can get into a V8 model for under $31K. The 3800 is under powered for this size car, but there are other cars offering similar hp for similar money. Think about it, a TSX has 200hp and costs $27K the A4 2.0 with 200hp costs even more. I think the 3800 will last about one model year. I suspect the 3.5L V6 in the Impala will replace the 3800 for the 2007 model year. The 3800 is probably in production due to shortages of a replacement engine or some type of union contract at the locations where they build the 3800.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,267
    Lucerne weighs 170 pounds more than the 2005 LeSabre. Easily fixed for the 3800 with a slight change in overall drive ratio. Engine is more than torquey enough for me.
    3800 will be there until all 3 users drop it. Need to shut the last module down at the same time. I see a few years untill the GP is replaced.
  • nargnarg Posts: 113
    I'm amazed with all the Toyota comparisons these days, especially to this car. In the 90's Toyota arguably had the best on the market. Not so today. Today they are oversold and underbuilt. No better than any other offering that is available by GM or others. The advertising for Toyota continues to boast more than is really there, almost reaching that of beer commercials for exagerations and overstatements. GM quality has jumped increadably in the past decade. Before anyone puts them down, be sure to check the repare rate for any Toyota to that of Buick. Not good. Also consider the type of person who would buy a Toyota, those who would trust a commercial over real world application. Very few cars today are so different in real quality there is simply no comparison. Only features and style are the only differences worth considering. Each vehicle sold today either will or will not have problems, your luck will be the only factor. Nothing else.

I personally think the Lucerne's looks are far better than most Lexus offerings given today. Inside and out. But that's my opinion. You're intitled to your own. It's a touch classic with very modern tones and lines. Very Buick, which I've always liked. According to JDPowers, Buick is only bettered by Lexus in quality, which I attribute to the appearance that most Lexus drivers wouldn't know it if a tire fell off their car while going down the road. Seriously, I think Lexus drivers have to pass an idiot verification test prior to ownership, as they seem to drive worse than most. Don't you agree?

GM in general has had the best advancements of any car maker. But until you own one, you'll never understand. So don't state what you obviously don't know about if you've not experienced the latest GM can and does offer.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Sorry.....but one thing GM doesn't offer is the resale value of the Japanese cars.

I see a lot of Lexuses and I never see them driving badly. Driving badly has nothing to do with what you drive.

Today a guy in an Avalanche was tailgating me at 75mph, does that mean all GM drivers are bad?

GM cars aren't bad, but the only problem is they can sometimes feel cheap, unrefined and lack some key features. They also take a long time to update their cars. The Cavalier wasn't fully redesigned in 10 years, and the GM fullsize trucks haven't been redesigned since 1999. The GM vans look new, but the platform goes back to 1997. The American manufacturers don't update their cars often enough and they fall of buyers radar. Then they need huge discounts to make them sell.

Anyway, about the Lucerne it seems like a great car and will hopefully bring more people into Buick dealers. Can't wait to read the review.