Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• That is the Michelin I bought. Great tire!
  • oldguy8oldguy8 Posts: 12
    Like it (cxl) got used to it on my winter trip to Florida, actually more comfortable than my Roadmaster, easy to drive and not tiring, millage good for a loaded car (27 over all) just hope it is more trouble free, time will tell.
  • Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Got a great deal on a leftover new Super ($31.7k out the door) when my '07 DTS was pulled ahead by GM. Ride has softened somewhat with break-in, but the Magnetic Ride Control is still firmer than in my DTS. Knew I would have to replace the standard Bridgestone tires in order to make the ride acceptable. Replaced tires with Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds (235/55/18) which adds about 1/2 inch to the tires diameter and about 1/4 inch to the car's ride height. The tires made a big difference when compared to the hard riding and noisy Bridgestones. The car, at 2,600 miles, gets about 18 mpg combined vs. 20 mpg with the DTS. This may be due to the performance tuning and the final drive ratio. Expect that a DTS Performance Edition would get the same mileage as the Super.

Favorite Features: MSRP about $13k cheaper than similarly equipped DTS. Same platform and factory as DTS. Quieter and smoother ride after switching tires, but DTS is still smoother and quieter. Rides much smoother than my '06 Q45. Seats almost as comfy as those in the DTS. Blind Spot Alert system. Low NVH levels.

Suggested Improvements: Dump the Bridgestones. DTS had three seals around each door; Lucerne has only one and one-half (exterior noise more hushed on DTS). DTS and Lucerne both need the Blind Zone alert system. Update both cars for the next decade. Improve fuel economy. A six-speed automatic would be nice. Use soft feel plastic on lower instrument panel like the DTS; the Lucerne has cheap feeling hard plastic there.
  • cjkcjk Posts: 2
    I just bought an 06 Lucerne CX with about 21000 miles on it. After taking it on a road trip of about 650 miles I notice that there are times when one feels a mild vibration in the front end. The tires have obviously been rotated as directed, but there seems to be quite a bit of outside edge wear. And, when starting from a stop sign the engine sometimes coughs silently before powering up. We certainly enjoy the ride over the road, but notice the car is not as smooth over the bumps in the city compared to our 94 Le Sabre, nor is the gas mileage as good. We used to get 30+ mpg on our trips through Iowa (hilly) between Wisconsin and Nebraska with the Le Sabre, and now are lucky to get 27 with the Lucerne. Like the car otherwise, though.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Those old 3.8's got great mileage. Your new Lucerne weighs quite a bit more than the old LeSabre due to more content (safety and personal) and a stiffer structure (more metal).

You should get the car on a four wheel alignment rack. May have been in a minor accident causing some suspension misalignment.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    You should read this topic.
    Lucerne vibrations

You aren't clear as to the type of vibration you are sensing. There were some that are chassis/tire related and I assume that's what you're describing.

If you are saying it's tires or wheels...
    The original tires may not be that good at rolling round under load. They may have worn unevenly due to slight misalignment and not having been rotated at 8000 mi intervals, e.g.

You need to have a _good_ store or dealer do the alignment and put the settings spot on the recommended middle. You don't want the typical tire store saying "it's within the specs range, so it's okay."

You also want to have the tires and rims balanced on a Hunter 9700 Road Force balancer by a technician who knows how to troubleshoot GM vibration. The machines have settings and you want it balanced at the most sensitive setting. If the tires and wheels have more than 12 units (pounds of force) then you may feel it due to the light alloy metals used in the A-arms that move with the wheels and the stiff chassis.

The solution GM found in 2001 and on was that the tires weren't rolling round under load. One side crushes more than the other and the center of the wheel bounces up and down. This has been a known factor since at least 1977 for GM in smoothness of their cars. GM went to Michelin tires on the LeSabre/ Park Avenue, and various Cadillacs in that era because of out of round tires. They sent Michelins to replace tires that came on the cars to help fix the problem.

Another factor can be a motor/transmission mount. I believe that's in the other discussion linked above. Because you say the motor seems to cough when you first tip the throttle into it, I suspect the motor is moving and you're feeling the end of that movement when the mount hits a solid part or catches. Someone knowledgeable about fixing vibrations needs to look at the car. YOu might check around with different dealers to see who has some experienced technicians.

http://www.hunter.com
    http://hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm
    http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Read the info about wheel balancing with Road Force 9700 in these three links. The last one lets you find who has a 9700 in your area. Personally I'd check with a Buick dealer. Actually I'd put new Michelin tires on the car; I've only bought one set that wasn't Michelin in decades and that was a 77 Olds which had GM specification tires on it that were Goodyear. I was trading the car soon.

You might check on the warranty on the car if it transfers... Was it 4 years 48000 miles?

This message has been approved.

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    It's most likely bad tire tread pattern. My truck's Mud Terrains often wander and chatter when they hit certain types of pavement. Some all-season patterns are also very poor and cause similar problems.

This seems to also be backed up by the simple solution that most people have reported as solving it - namely, changing the crap OEM tires for something decent.
  • Has anyone noticed this? No obvious leaks and gas cap is on tight. It is noticeable sometimes when entering or exiting the car.
    Not normal. Is it under the 4 year warranty yet?

Could be a hose off somewhere. Could be a seep around a clamp on the hoses connecting the filler and the tank. Could be a fuel seep under the hood.
    Needs to be checked.

If you are able to crawl under the car and look in places such as the filler tube and the lines that run along the bottom of the car from the tank and fuel filter forward to the motor that's what needs to be done. Else take to dealer or trusted shop.

• It's still under warranty and will be visiting the dealer ASAP. The dealer said no TSBs on it, so I was hoping that someone on this board might have a similar experience so I can relay info. to the dealer. They will probably run their hydrocarbon emissions tester over everything to find it. In the mean time, its parked outside. Thanks.
  • bajan1bajan1 Posts: 2
    The owner's manual for my 2009 Lucerne states that the oil life system will indicate when the oil should be changed, yet a service adviser at a GM dealership says that it should be changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles and that the oil life system can be inaccurate. Do you follow the oil life system or the advice given to me? In other words, who should I believe--the manufacturer or the service adviser of one of its own dealerships?
  • bajan1bajan1 Posts: 2
    After a very long drive in my 2009 Buick Lucerne, which has 10,000 miles, it had a very loud humming noise from the trunk, the source of which was later identified as the fuel pump. Two mechanics listened to the humming, which by then was much quieter since it is much reduced in city driving, but both have no previous experience with this condition. One said that the fuel pump is a very powerful machine and that it's possible that when the tank is low on gas it makes more noise since it is no longer submerged in gas which would insulate the sound. My feeling is that it's not normal for it to be humming at all to begin with, much less when it's practically screeching, but the two guys have nothing to compare with, and so I'm left with this noise coming from the trunk. Does anyone know anything about this noise or have had experience like this?
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    Follow the advice of the manufacturer/oil life system. The service adviser's advice is designed to drum up business for the dealership. Oh, and use synthetic oil, not mineral oil. The synthetic oil is better in every way except a marginal increase in price which is well worth it.
    Your car is under warranty. Have the service manager listen to the pump noise with a low tank if that's what it takes. If he doesn't agree there's something needing work, then ask for the dealership manager to ride with you. Do it before 12,000 miles.

I wonder if something is touching somewhere outside the tank and transmitting a normal vibration so it's amplified inside the usually quiet car.

Or the pump is going bad

Or the pump needs to be removed and checked--through the opening in the trunk that makes it a relatively easy job.

Warranty. And do it before 12,000 when they expect to take care of little things like alignment and balancing. Then after that they begin to feel those are owner problems from normal wear and tear.

• jimmy53jimmy53 Posts: 1
    I Bought a 2009 Buick Lucerne that had 7000 mi. on it
    after a few days I noticed a low rumble from the rear at
    about 58 to 65 mph and now at lower speeds. I took it back
    to the dealer and they put a complete new exhaust system on it.
    It seemed to help until I got it home. It's still there.They can't figure it out.
    It's more like a viberating rumble. thanks for any help Jim
  • We have a 2008 Lucerne that has had the battery run-down problem. This happened after the car sat for 3 or 4 days. Had it back to the dealer 3 times. They could find nothing, but did install a new battery. Interesting that it was mentioned in another reply that the ONSTAR was the problem. I too am having onstar problems, which the dealer is yet to resolve. Guess I'd better print this off and take it to the dealer.
  • I have 2006 buick Lucerne CX with a fast left turn signal light and a left rear tail light that needs to be replace. How do I replace the tail light and is there a fuse or something that may be causing the fast left turn signal. thanks for your help.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    This is exactly what it is made to do. If you burn out a bulb, it causes the blinkers on that side to operate faster. (sensor detects the change in resistance from a burned out bulb and operates the blinker at 2x the normal speed)

There should be an access panel in the trunk. It uses standard automotive bulbs.