Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To Fix Up or Trade Up, That is the Question

Comments

• don't do the alignment if you're planning on getting new tires however---do the tires first.
  • dgaldgal Posts: 24
    Thanks, but the tires are in good condition. Anyone know if I really have to buy the premium gas, or will regular work just fine?
  • whatever it says on the gas door is what you use.
  • if you do end up fixing up your car- you may want to check out Advance Auto Parts. My Dad recently used this coupon: $20 Off @ Advance Auto Parts :)
  • vagarvagar Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2009 Accord LX, with about 87k miles. Carfax shows following two unusual repairs around 40-45k miles. Any suggestions on what might have happened. Could this be a problem car that I should stay away from. I do plan to take this car to a honda dealership for full inspection before purchase.

Pls reply asap, as I meet the seller on wednesday (EST).
    The agreed price is ~$10.5k. Any suggestions on whether its a good or bad price.

06/04/2010 40,717 Phillipsburg Easton Honda Phillipsburg, NJ
    Front axle(s) replaced/repaired
    Recommended maintenance performed
    Drivability/performance checked

08/17/2010 45,474 Phillipsburg Easton Honda Phillipsburg, NJ
    Drivability/performance checked
    Left axle replaced
    Steering/suspension checked
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Maybe and accident?
  • Might have just been torn axle boots. On some cars it is actually easier and cheaper to install a rebuilt axle than to take it down, cut off the old boots, clean the CV joint and inspect it and re-install a new boot, etc.

It is also possible that the rebuilt axle was itself defective and needed to be done again.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    It cost me $245 the last time I replaced one of the half shafts (parts only) and boot. Biggest issue was breaking loose the nut on the end of the axel. Only cost a little bit more when I had an indy shop do it the first time.
  • I have a '97 Saturn SC2. It has 155K miles. I have been living with an engine knock that presents itself during acceleration (around 2k rpms) and goes away but will reappear constantly at speeds above 45mph. I have taken the car to both a Chevrolet dealer as well as a well known independent shop. Both are of the opinion that the knock is 'deep', a rod bearing being the common response. Another local Chevrolet dealership says no problem regarding getting a re-manufactured engine. The first mentioned Chevrolet dealership originally declined the work saying that it couldn't get one, but later said they could. The independent repair shop says that none of their rebuilders will do it due to lack of Saturn parts.

First question:
    Do you agree that Saturn parts is an issue in the short term and will only get worse? I know things like oil filters will be around for awhile, but I wonder why the independent shop didn't want to take it on.
    Although Saturn itself has been out of business for several years now, the one Chevrolet dealer that didn't hesitate to quote a price and availability for the engine and its parts seem to indicate that parts aren't a problem.

Second question: I am of the opinion that replacing the engine (5K+) is money that would be better spent toward a replacement. The same money could for example buy a 7-8 year newer Honda Civic Hybrid, a manufacturer that isn't out of business or will be any time soon. I have a family member whom has offered to help me financially but insists on getting estimates on the engine replacement and anything else the car needs. I have been disagreeing saying the money would be better spent replacing the car. A friend at the Chevrolet dealer, he is their fleet manager, agrees with me. What is/are your opinion(s)?

Thanks very much for your time and attention.
    Mark
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 877
    Time to let it go.
  • No question---bail out....this ship is going down.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    It is never a wise move to put more into a car than it is worth. Even with a replacement engine, you have a $2k car.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• A $2K car with 155,000 miles on every component other than the engine.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    I'm being generous just to get the point across. ;)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Thank you very much one and all for your time and for posting. It has been what I have thought all along. I have passed on the link to this thread to those whom insist that replacing the engine is a viable alternative.
  • I should preface this with some info. This car is my first car. I lived in NYC all my life and never had a need to own a car so I am not a gearhead by any means but work brought me to a place which is much more spread out. Hence the car. I've had it for 3 years now.

Now, I got an '04 Malibu Max with 125k miles and for the most part, has treated me very well with regular maintenance. During my 2nd month, someone ran into my rear bumper in a parking lot while I wasn't there and gave it a nice tear and cracked the tail light (it still works). I also need to replace the shocks and struts. I am pegging all this at a about $1600 in total costs to get it back to a nice condition. I question is that, in your opinion, is it worth it to fix those things or trade in and go for another car. This is the first year I have no payment on it so that is making me waiver.

I appreciate your insight.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Here's one way to look at it.

If you put that $1600 into the car now and only drive it for another year, you're probably ahead of the game financially vs buying another vehicle. Get 2 more years out of it and you're that much more ahead.

I assume you've kept up on other maintenance issues, and are not driving around a car who's transmission is acting funny, for instance?
  • I haven't been able to identify any problem like that. Fluid leaking, weird sounds or the like. I see cars as more tools and expressions of self so driving a car till the wheels fall off is no big deal to me.

Thank you.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 877
    I would say its probably just due for something like that and will be fine for awhile after you do those repairs. A couple of years ago I faced the same dilemma with an old Camry. It went on to last another 3 years and then, still running fine, I sold it because the daughter no longer needed a car.