Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• banknonitbanknonit Posts: 1
    bought 05 ford superduty250 4wdr diesel was getting about 16 to 18 average.now down to 10 to 11 mpg only 4000miles on truck.also after you turn off ignition something sounds like it still spinning coming from exhaust system .I have 35 inch all terrains but have had them from start.Luv this truck,lots of power might put banks big boss bundle any suggestions or answers ,thanks?
  • autoholicautoholic Posts: 2
    I have a similar situation with my 2005 SD250 4WD PSD, long bed with 3.73 limited slip, 325-65R18 Nitto Terra Grabbers.. I bought it back in December 2004, but I am still under 2000 miles. The MPG was originally 15 to 16 average with mixed driving, no towing. The last tank yielded less than 10 MPG. My engine warning light has come on twice in the last couple of days, but goes off after a stop and restart.

Anyone have any ideas. I would like to be prepared before I face off with the dealer.
  • berdineberdine Posts: 1
    Anyway I knew it would anyway when I bought it but it didn't suck as bad until the A Hs that bid on oil bid it up to $66 a barrel for every dopey reason under the sun. What's up with those baffoons? Anyway I don't drive like an old lady so when I read that people get 14/18 I wonder where and how are they driving? In CA it is bumper to bumper, AC always on and when you can cruise on the freeway you do 80. So I get 9+ city and 13+ highway. Actually before I put a HP exhaust I was getting + 2 more for each. I put a AEM air intake system and I noticed a + 2 mpg increase. So I am back to a sucky 11/16. Right now my truck is down to swap out the front and rear gears to 3.31 from 3.73 I am hoping for another + 2 out of that. Any one have any other suggestions other than driving like an old lady or buy a toyota? Has anyone out there done any other modifications to their new F150s that they have noticed an improvement with? Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I like what you have done to your truck, I would suggest maybe purchasing a computer programmer that plugs right into the truck's central computer. I have gotten, on average, 5mpg out of it and an noticible increase in hp and torque. I would also suggest investing in a throttle body spacer, they are said to increase your mpg by 3 to 5, and give you 10hp! Good luck and enjoy your truck.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,070
    anybody have any idea what kind of mileage a '95 F-150 might get? Regular cab, long bed, RWD, 5.8 V-8, 4-speed automatic. I checked the EPA ratings and it looks like it was rated at 13/17. I might have a lead on one of these.

Also, anybody know any particular trouble spots on that era F-150? It has about 120,000 miles on it, but supposedly everything works on it. I haven't seen it in person yet, though.
  • where can i get the computer and spacer i aslo have a f 150 1997
    i get 14.5 in town driving like an old lady
    shellcae
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    '95 F150 -auto, rwd, long bed, ext cab. 5.0L, 175K miles . I get 11-12 around town, but still can get 17-18 mpg on highway.

Check the oil pan - they're notorious for rusting through and getting pin-hole leaks. They're a pain in the butt to change, because you've got to raise the engine in order to be able to get the pan around a frame member. The truck may also be ready for new ball joints - Ford cheaped out and didn't put greasable joints in, so they start to go around that mileage
  • what chip R u using? thanks
  • swaampyswaampy Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what kind of mpg your getting with 2005 5.4L F-250 4x4. I'm seriously looking to buy one, but in light of the recent gas prices I need to find out what the realistic mileage is. I looked into the F-150's but I can get a better deal on this truck, plus it;s twice the truck, and from what I'm reading the F-150's aren't so hot on gas either.

Also can anyone tell me why the rear seat in the F-250 xtra cab appears smaller than the F-150, and there is no head rest.

I test drove the one that I am thinking about buying, and it drives like a dream for a F-250. I've had half tons all the way up to a one ton and this one by far has the best ride. The only catch is that this truck was traded in only after 4600 miles due to gas concerns. He went with a diesel.
  • Hey Fellas,
    I just bought my loaded XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 big gulp..
    Damn this hurricane is really killing us at the pump :-( .
    My first 3 tanks have yielded 15 - 16 MPG. :surprise: ????
    I am very interested in eventually modifing but think we better keep the warranty. :lemon:
    How about some details on that throttle body spacer. :confuse:
    Also no VIBRAtions, knock on wood!!!!
    This truck has gotten a bad rap..???
    If we can just improve mileage a little I will be pumped!
    Thanks...........
  • I have an 04 f150 crew. I was reading the discussion about gas mileage on edmunds and just had to respond to this one. I've seen the programers before, didn't think that much about them, in terms of a considerable increase in mileage. What type of programmer did you use, where did you get it and what did it cost you. My 5.4 is getting me just under 15 in mixed drive. It PO's me, especially when I hear that me dad (with the same truck) is getting 20 on the highway. I have the throttle body spacer, but its not giving near what you're claiming. Makes me skeptical. Can you provide more data? thanks.
  • 20 MPG!? Is he pushing it? I just bought an 05 250 4x4 5.4L, and I'm lucky to get 13 mpg. After 1100 miles (over 90% of which are hwy), I'm getting btwn 12.5 - 13 mpg (never over 70mph or 2500 rpm). Looking into a KN air intake, but can't find one for an 05 anywhere. Maybe I'm better off parking it for a while with gas prices around $3/gal.
  • I'm not kiddin' you!! the lowest that he's had on a tank of fuel is 15.7 mgp. He drove over 200 miles out to Albany, at 65, and got 19.8. Drove back, at 70, and got 18.5. He told me that he was doing fire police work one afternoon, and left the truck running for 3 hrs. while he was directing traffic (Dad's in his mid 60's and needs his AC) on that tank he was all the way down to 15.7. I've seen the receipts. He does a lot of country driving, but that's incredible. My 04 isn't touching that. I'm with you. Park it. It's a hell of a price to pay for something that just sits, though. My minivan it getting the lions share of the family travel. My dealership told me not to run the KN air fliter. It leaks and allows dirty air through. If the air mass sensor goes with that air filter in, they won't warrenty it. Just some info I've learned along the way.
  • So when should my mileage start getting better? I haven't gotten better than 13.1mpg, and I have 1300 miles on my 05 250 5.4L (over 90% of which are hwy miles). The K&N issue with the air filter seems standard for a dealer. If you don't install the filter (any filter) correctly, it will allow dirty air to pass through. I had one on my 99 F150 4.6L, and after 48K, I was still getting 21-23 mpg hwy (a big improvement over the 18-20 mpg hwy w/o the K&N).
  • Man, you have to be kickin' yourself for getting rid of that '99 w/ the smaller block. I went the other way, though I'm not entirely satisfied with the mileage. I'm got rid of my 02 Avalanche with the 8.1 liter. 13.1 looks pretty good when you compared it to that thing. I don't know what to tell you about the prognosis for when you mileage will improve. My guess is that it won't...under present circumstances. Sorry. On this tank, I've been backing way off the accelerator and it seems to have made a difference. City and some country driving, no highway. I'll let you know. I try to ask guys, that I see with the same set up as me, what they're getting for mileage. Most don't seem to know. Most out of fear, denial, etc...! I e-mailed a buddy of mine that is an engineer for Ford in Detroit. he works mainly on brakes, suspension, etc. for the SUV and truck divisions. He had a pretty good laugh over my request for "great" gas mileage on that ship that I was driving around. If I wanted good gas mileage I should have purchased a Focus=:( Not going to haul a lot with that. Not even the kids. I e-mailed him back, told him to cut out the smart remarks and talk to the guys in the engine department. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Hang in there, man, we're all suffering.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    I have had my truck for almost 2 weeks now and seem to be getting 11 mpg around town and about 16 on the road. The sticker said 15 mpg around town and I was expecting to get about 13. Eleven is a little upsetting. I'm sure it will get better after it gets broken in--I hope so anyway!
  • I read this on another site. Pretend that you have an egg shell on the accelerator of your truck. Try not to break it! I've been doing this for the last 2 tanks. I've gone from 14.5 (f150 5.4L screw) to 17. It makes a difference. Remember to that the Ford didn't determine the mileage that goes on the sticker. The EPA does. I see gas going up again :cry: Thanks RITA :mad:
    The thing is that I am not one to stand on the gas or anything. I could go slower, though, I'm sure. Looks like Rota may not disrupt things like Katrina did--that's good.
  • et14et14 Posts: 1
    The reserch that I have done for the F-250 2005's the fuel mixture from km 0-2500 is very rich ( computer controled ) the 2501-5000km better. But not till 5001km ( around 3000 miles) does the mixture of fuel go to "as needed" for gas mileage.

I get 15-16 Hwy and 11-12 city, and that after I re-learned how to drive eg. the door locks do not look for almost 1 block ( slow acceleration) no fast starts...

My Ford Explorer 92 with 4 liter got around 25 Hwy and 18 city.. but I drove it fast too. Any one know the most optimal speed for the F-250?
    "the door locks do not look for almost 1 block "

Wow, that is slow. I don't drive that slowly--and I'm not making any plans to start. I have slowed down--but not that slow. That almost seems like a safety hazzard for traffic behind you.
    My 2005 XLT SuperCrew with the 5.4 has been getting about 13 lately. More like what I was expecting--and up from the 11 I reported last time!
  • muser2muser2 Posts: 1
    Hi

Came across this web page on the effects of driving with the tail gate up or down, as well as having a camper shell on or off. I figured the camper shell on was bad for mileage, but according to this site the most efficient way to travel is with the tail gate up.

Here's the link: Tail Gate Up or Down?

Guess I'll go back to keeping the gate up.

Muser2
  • I am thinking of buying a F250 V8 and was wondering if anyone knew what I could expect as far as gas mileage goes. I am currently getting 8.3 mpg out of a 95 chevy diesel and its killing me. One factor with these mileages is that I do pull a 3000# trailer daily and do 80% city driving.
  • You don't say whether it's 2x4 or 4x4, what type of transmission it has, or what the axle ratio is - 3.73 or 4.10. They make for a bit of a mileage difference - 4x2, 4.10 axle, manual tranny would be best; 4x4, auto, with the 3.73 will be the worst mileage. I'd say you could be anywhere from 7-10 mpg. My F350 CC, Long Bed, 4x4, auto, V10 - pulling 7600 lbs, only gets about 6 mpg in the city,and around 9-10 mpg on the highway - but I don't tow every day.

Superduty crew cab is a big beast and mileage isn't that great because the 5.4 has to work to get things moving. Pulling a trailer with it in the city, and you probably won't be getting much better mileage than the chevy diesel. You might also find the Ford a bit underpowered pulling a load in comparison to the diesel. Best power with the 5.4L is to have the 4.10 gears, also puts it preferred power band and gives best mileage.
  • creisolcreisol Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any MPG #'s for the 4.2L?
    I have been getting about 13.5-14.5 mpg in town with the air running and 18-19 on the highway running about 75 mph. This is in line with the window sticker and what I was expecting to get when I bought the truck.
  • creisolcreisol Posts: 6
    How do these compare in terms of gas mileage. 2wd preferably.
  • I have a 4.2L XL, 2wd, 8ft bed with an automatic and 3.55 gears in an open diff. Interstate travel with no load returns about 19MPG, that's between 70-75mph. Keep it under 65 and it gets 20mpg. With the bed at max payload (maybe overloaded) it can go as low as 15-16 in town.

Daily driving 80%hwy 20%town always gives us 19.5mpg.
    The only modification is Mobile One synthetic oil.
    I only rev the engine up when racing off a stoplight, otherwise it stays in overdrive, but I don't drive slow, just steady.
    That's interesting. I drive a SuperCrew with the 5.4L V8 and get just about the same mileage as you. My city driving usually runs about 14 with the air on, but that's about it.
  • samualmacsamualmac Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a 2005 or 2006 crew cab F-350 with the 6.0 diesel with automatic. I would like to hear some real world fuel mileages with both 2WD and 4X4. I would also like to know if the 3.73 rear end will do substantially better than the 4.10. Please respond if you have any words of wisdom.
    Thanks