Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7

A sexy newcomer to the Auto Show circuit, this should bear fruit late next year as a full-on crossover with RX-8/6sedan genes.

Hopefully, it gets better than Ford's venerable Duratec 3.0 under the hood.

DrFill

Comments

• This and the Infiniti FX series would be the only SUVs I'd buy.

Well, this and a smaller one based on my lovely, wonderful, sainted Mazda3. :D
  • I love the look of this thing. And I usually don't go for the SUV look.
  • andyman73andyman73 Posts: 368
    Definitely one of the better looking SUVs to hit the circuit in a long time. I hope it doesn't lose a single line in production. And I hope it gets the Duratec 35.
  • Didn't get anything "oficially" new on this thing, but I DID get a little gossip that it'll probably come out as a 2007 or 2008 model, because response ot the concept has been so overwhelmingly positive. But likely it WON'T come with those tires (at least standard) or some of the other gadgets, and it sounds like they're trying to find an engine for it, other than the modified Duratec30. That MIGHT mean a Duratec35, or it might mean something else.

Oh and more gossip says it'll probably end up on the Mazda6 platform, just like everything else these days. ;) The 6 seems to be more successful as a platform generator than in raw sales sometimes. :D

Keep in mind this is all unofficial gossip, no official word from Mazda yet. They're keeping things tight, probably because so many decisions still have to be made regarding production components.
  • brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    It is confirmed a year from now we will see them:
    link:
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102332
    "Lineup Addition: Long-rumored Mazda sport wagon to arrive in spring 2006"-Autoweek

That is great news, now for the speculation about drivetrain, pricing and such. Anyone see this at the autoshow close up and see the sizing, I did not get a chance to see the show at New York.

B.
    Yeah saw that also, so lets start the dicussions about features, powertrain and such.

Will we see hybrid...they are making a Tribute Hybrid. Or will it simply be just the V6 from the Mazda 6?

Price... I would imagine right around the Tribute pricing.

Anyone else got ideas, insider info?

B.
  • anyone find any info on pricing of this thing? will it have AWD or 4WD? I imagine if it's to compete with the Murano, it will at least have AWD. it's definitely on my list - hope it's in dealerships in time for winter!
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    maybe winter next year.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Posts: 593
    From the sound of things it'll be a unibody, which means AWD rather than 4WD. AWD would be more performance-oriented anyway, which is Mazda's whole deal. You can tell by the looks that it's NOT meant to be an off-roader. ;)

If it's AWD though, I'm hoping for a rear-bias.
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Posts: 44
    Do you think they'll keep the four bucket seats? I hope it doesn't because that would take it off my list for sure and probably a lot of people that want a vehicle like this. In size what do you think this will compare to? Murano? Will it have decent cargo space? How soon will we know if they want this out in 2006? I would think pretty soon unless they are coming out in the middle or end of 2006? I had read spring I thought though.
  • In my opinion, this car looks badazz. I can see where some are comparing it to the murano, however I think it holds much better promise for several reasons:

1. looks smaller in height. it will probably be slightly smaller all around and lighter than the murano and therefore get better gas mileage. as each week passes, mpg becomes a bigger concern for more and more people. i think $3/gallon is just around the corner. within 2 yrs.

2. looks much better than the murano. the cx-7 has a more square-off look. looks sportier. will probably appeal to more than just the soccer mom crowd. i'm a 26 yr old male, and i'd love to have this badboy parked in front of my house.

3. it should cost in the low 20s, as it is a mazda. they don't have enough market share or recognition among the average american to demand high prices. plus, the smaller stature than the tribute or murano naturally says the price will be still reasonable.

my most likely purchase in the near future is a mazda3 hatchback, however the cx-7 is a definite consideration in the next few years. this almost makes me want to put off the m3. and i've always been more of a toyota fan. go figure.
  • pzykofartpzykofart Posts: 46
    I love the styling of this car, especially the specs. Oh-so sweet!
  • No way is a vehicle in this class going to have 4 bucket seats.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    5 seats, or a 2+2+2 configuration, ala Pacifica.
    I didn't think so either. Probably just for the shows! Not too practical for real life. I had an MX6 before and it was a nice car except for the fact I had to replace the tires constantly. I think it had damage done to it before I bought it although it was supposed to be new but had 103 miles or something. I love the color they used on the CX-7; it's real close to what I had on the MX6. I'm not sure I'll be able to wait on this one to become production before buying a new vehicle though.
  • unixxusunixxus Posts: 97
    Mazda announced in May that it will name their upcoming 2007 crossover vehicle CX-7, Nissan stated a few weeks later that its 2008 Infiniti entry level crossover vehicles will be called CX25 and CX35. I think this will cause some confusion in the general public. :confuse:
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/200505/0526e.html

Automotive News / July 04, 2005
    LOS ANGELES -- Infiniti dealers will get a new entry-level sport wagon.

Sources inside and outside the company say the vehicle will arrive in 2007 as a 2008 model. It will come in two versions, the CX25 and CX35.

Guido Vildozo, market analyst for Global Insight in Lexington, Mass., says the five-seat vehicle will be smaller than the Infiniti FX35 and FX45. It will come with a 2.5-liter inline four-cylinder engine or a 3.5-liter V-6 and be built on Nissan's FM platform.

He says the four-cylinder engine may get a supercharged performance version similar to the supercharged engine on the Nissan Sentra SE-R.

"It's an X3-type vehicle," he says, referring to BMW. "The FX may eventually grow in size."

The 2005 FX35 starts at $35,710 including shipping.

Another source says the company is considering a hybrid version of the new vehicle. Hybrids use gasoline engines and one or more electric motors to power the wheels.

Nissan North America Inc. will introduce its first hybrid, an Altima, next year as a 2007 model. Infiniti spokesman Bill Garlin would only say that the company is "always looking at new stuff and new possibilities."
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    brutus22: Price... I would imagine right around the Tribute pricing.

For what it's worth, my guess is above the Tribute. Starting in the mid to high 20s. Unless Mazda drops the Tribute there's no reason to have a direct competitor. I suspect it will compete with the Murano.
  • suvsbobsuvsbob Posts: 12
    While, if the message posted along with these two spy photos is true, I'll be really disappointed.
    http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/spy-photos-2007-mazda-cx7-111301.php
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_07_Mazda_CX-7.S178.A8856.h- tml

I just found out the cx 7 last week. Really like its exterior and size. Nice, clean, sporty, very very attractive. So I started doing more research.

The message posted in the spy photo web saying Mazda is testing the car with Highlander, BMW X5, etc. That's totally not what I want. I want a nice compact suv with decent fuel mileage. I want the car stand out in the traffic, not blend in with another 1000 suvs on the road. I don't care if it can haul 7 passenger. I don't intend to use it like that. I want it to be aroudn $25K. Madza is testing the car with full-size suv. Plain, dumb wrong.

Beside, the car looks boxy now, just another minivan(Cross-uv?, can't find it). Where's my cute curvy lines alone the side?

Mazda, listen to me. Wake up. People looking cx 7 are not looking for another suv. They're looking for a cross-uv, just like the car you've shown in detroit. I love it , many people love it. Don't change the recipe for the production.
  • I think the vehicle you see is the CX-7 platform with a different body on it. I don't think the real one will look like that. It's just a costume.
    I think it looks like the MPV body, because the rear passenger doors look like they would be sliding doors. Hopefully this is all it is because the look of the prototype is what got everyone revved up about it. It would be pretty stupid to change it.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    Yeah, don't worry too much about the body in that picture... the drivetrain is all they're testing. :-)
    Don't let the body fool you.....like perfectorc mentioned its a test mule to test things like drivetrain performance. This type of secret testing is very normal for a new model... When Land Rover was testing the new Land Rover it was spotted all over in an dressed up in Explorer body, causing quite a stir.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    When I looked at the spy photo the first thing that came to me was that it looked like the mazda 5. That looked nothing like the vehicle that mazda has on their web site. My wife and I are considering the mazda 6 wagon but after seeing the CX 7 on mazda's site we might just wait.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    From past models they've brought to production from auto shows, like the Mazda5, Mazda has shown that they don't tend to change their designs much between the auto show and the production line.

Expect the CX-7 to look a lot like the prototype on the outside, with a bit more practical interior, when it arrives in 2007.
    Mazda is telling us the exterior of Concept CX-7 is 90% of the planned actual design....
  • typhoon33typhoon33 Posts: 3
    Just found out that it will have a 2.3L 4cyl Turbo motor and a 6 speed AT trans. Will be available in 2wd and 4wd
  • I had heard deep, dark rumours of the same thing. What's the source of your info, if you can say without being sent to Guantanamo Bay.
    Nothing new to this rumor....I posted in "does mazda have a future" back in April that the CX may have the 4 cyl turbo engine......of course everyone jumped on me and said that I was nuts.
    So are you essentially saying that it will have the same engine as the 2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED MAZDA6?

Edmunds lists this bad boy as:
    Horsepower: 274 hp
    Torque: 280 ft-lbs.

Pretty impressive, but will traditional SUV buyers scoff at it being a 4 cyl instead of a 6 cyl.

Any idea on weight, because once we have weight we should be able to get a fairly decent idea on performance.

B.