Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7

Comments

• tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Posts: 44
    I think it looks like the MPV body, because the rear passenger doors look like they would be sliding doors. Hopefully this is all it is because the look of the prototype is what got everyone revved up about it. It would be pretty stupid to change it.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    Yeah, don't worry too much about the body in that picture... the drivetrain is all they're testing. :-)
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Don't let the body fool you.....like perfectorc mentioned its a test mule to test things like drivetrain performance. This type of secret testing is very normal for a new model... When Land Rover was testing the new Land Rover it was spotted all over in an dressed up in Explorer body, causing quite a stir.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    When I looked at the spy photo the first thing that came to me was that it looked like the mazda 5. That looked nothing like the vehicle that mazda has on their web site. My wife and I are considering the mazda 6 wagon but after seeing the CX 7 on mazda's site we might just wait.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    From past models they've brought to production from auto shows, like the Mazda5, Mazda has shown that they don't tend to change their designs much between the auto show and the production line.

Expect the CX-7 to look a lot like the prototype on the outside, with a bit more practical interior, when it arrives in 2007.
    Mazda is telling us the exterior of Concept CX-7 is 90% of the planned actual design....
  • typhoon33typhoon33 Posts: 3
    Just found out that it will have a 2.3L 4cyl Turbo motor and a 6 speed AT trans. Will be available in 2wd and 4wd
  • I had heard deep, dark rumours of the same thing. What's the source of your info, if you can say without being sent to Guantanamo Bay.
    Nothing new to this rumor....I posted in "does mazda have a future" back in April that the CX may have the 4 cyl turbo engine......of course everyone jumped on me and said that I was nuts.
  • brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    So are you essentially saying that it will have the same engine as the 2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED MAZDA6?

Edmunds lists this bad boy as:
    Horsepower: 274 hp
    Torque: 280 ft-lbs.

Pretty impressive, but will traditional SUV buyers scoff at it being a 4 cyl instead of a 6 cyl.

Any idea on weight, because once we have weight we should be able to get a fairly decent idea on performance.

B.
    I think it's a bit risky to use that engine...but hey, I give them credit for trying different things. Maybe that engine could help in the gas mileage area without giving up performance?...I suspect the target buyer will be more interested in engine performance over engine size. ;)
    Summary of the letter we got today from Mazda....

Interest and enthusiasm for the CX-7 has been growing ever since the MX-Crossport concept vehicle was unveiled in Detroit. The CX-7 is an exciting new combination of sports car personality, SUV utility, and distinctive Mazda flair. The CX-7 is a Mazda exclusive, built in Hiroshima, Japan, utilizing a Mazda-developed platform and engine. The platform takes engineering from both the Mazda6 and Mazda3. The engine is a 2.3 liter DISI (Direct Injection Spark Ignition) Turbo.

CX-7 production will start in February 2006. The first dealer allocation will run in November.

The addition of the CX-7 to the Mazda line-up is a critical step towards growing your business. The CX-7 is a fresh approach to the SUV market that customers have not seen before. It offers a combination of:

Performance - near sports car handling, braking, and acceleration
    Design – sophisticated sports car styling and craftsmanship inside and out
    Mazda’s Soul of a Sports Car – our unique brand DNA that means a one-of-a-kind vehicle and driving experience.
  • pep33pep33 Posts: 3
    Why such a long lead time between production start (Feb) and dealer allocation (Nov). Is this normal?
  • That does seem a bit strange unless they are building for the Japanese or European marketplace first and supplying NA next.
    It's pretty common.....Once the orders come in they can get an exact idea of what they need to order from the suppliers... They also do alot of test runs during that time period.

They had similar lead times with the new Miata.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,556
    November to pre order, January to build seems about right.

Actually, my interest is peaked because of the engine. Just have to figure out how big this thing is. Any dimensions known?

And, if they would just make it with the speed 6 6 speed stick, I might finally be interested in a Ute. Think of it as a tall 6 wagon MS version.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    Also in from AutoWeek:
    "Mazda sources confirm the CX-7 will be powered by a 2.3-liter turbo gasoline direct injection and available in either two- or all-wheel drive."

So these pictures clearly indicate that this bad boy will mimic the show vehicle. I am actually excited about the engine considering where gas prices are going.

B.
  • "I am actually excited about the engine considering where gas prices are going."

Yeah, all current indications are that we're probably looking at over $2.00 for at least the next year. Bluh. :(

It's funny though: this 2.3-liter I-4 has significantly more horsepower than my mother's 5.7-liter V8 Suburban (the latter does have more low-end torque). Impressive, Mazda... very impressive.

Mike
  • sleekasleeka Posts: 1
    Is anyone else disappointed that the rear doors are normal? One of the reasons I was interested in the CX7 was the suicide doors which make the car really sleek looking. Why do they have to drop this as they already have engineering in place with the RX8. I thought this thing was supposed to be more like a RX8 wagon. I hate that Mazda has dropped one of the features that would make this thing stand out in a crowded marketplace.