Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I think it's a bit risky to use that engine...but hey, I give them credit for trying different things. Maybe that engine could help in the gas mileage area without giving up performance?...I suspect the target buyer will be more interested in engine performance over engine size. ;)
    Summary of the letter we got today from Mazda....

Interest and enthusiasm for the CX-7 has been growing ever since the MX-Crossport concept vehicle was unveiled in Detroit. The CX-7 is an exciting new combination of sports car personality, SUV utility, and distinctive Mazda flair. The CX-7 is a Mazda exclusive, built in Hiroshima, Japan, utilizing a Mazda-developed platform and engine. The platform takes engineering from both the Mazda6 and Mazda3. The engine is a 2.3 liter DISI (Direct Injection Spark Ignition) Turbo.

CX-7 production will start in February 2006. The first dealer allocation will run in November.

The addition of the CX-7 to the Mazda line-up is a critical step towards growing your business. The CX-7 is a fresh approach to the SUV market that customers have not seen before. It offers a combination of:

Performance - near sports car handling, braking, and acceleration
    Design – sophisticated sports car styling and craftsmanship inside and out
    Mazda’s Soul of a Sports Car – our unique brand DNA that means a one-of-a-kind vehicle and driving experience.
  • pep33pep33 Posts: 3
    Why such a long lead time between production start (Feb) and dealer allocation (Nov). Is this normal?
  • That does seem a bit strange unless they are building for the Japanese or European marketplace first and supplying NA next.
    It's pretty common.....Once the orders come in they can get an exact idea of what they need to order from the suppliers... They also do alot of test runs during that time period.

They had similar lead times with the new Miata.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,934
    November to pre order, January to build seems about right.

Actually, my interest is peaked because of the engine. Just have to figure out how big this thing is. Any dimensions known?

And, if they would just make it with the speed 6 6 speed stick, I might finally be interested in a Ute. Think of it as a tall 6 wagon MS version.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    Also in from AutoWeek:
    "Mazda sources confirm the CX-7 will be powered by a 2.3-liter turbo gasoline direct injection and available in either two- or all-wheel drive."

So these pictures clearly indicate that this bad boy will mimic the show vehicle. I am actually excited about the engine considering where gas prices are going.

B.
  • "I am actually excited about the engine considering where gas prices are going."

Yeah, all current indications are that we're probably looking at over $2.00 for at least the next year. Bluh. :(

It's funny though: this 2.3-liter I-4 has significantly more horsepower than my mother's 5.7-liter V8 Suburban (the latter does have more low-end torque). Impressive, Mazda... very impressive.

Mike
  • sleekasleeka Posts: 1
    Is anyone else disappointed that the rear doors are normal? One of the reasons I was interested in the CX7 was the suicide doors which make the car really sleek looking. Why do they have to drop this as they already have engineering in place with the RX8. I thought this thing was supposed to be more like a RX8 wagon. I hate that Mazda has dropped one of the features that would make this thing stand out in a crowded marketplace.
    Ok, now here are some great spy photos courtesy of a spy photographer sent into MPH Magazine of the CX-7, it looks pretty darn close to the concept, and I did not realize how steeply raked the front of the car and windshield is. This car looks to be awesome with a very futuristic look and usability to spare, I just hope the interior is just as sweet. Now if this just comes out more spring 2006 then the reported fall 2006 that would be awesome.

Here is the link to more of the photos:
    http://www.mphmagazineonline.com/web/spyphotos/009
    Also link to rear of car:
    http://www.mphmagazineonline.com/web/spyphotos/008

I am now officially convinced that manufacturers showing "concepts" are simply showing an extremely close aproximation of the production car.... they already have spent time making it a real car and not a shell when they release it to show the public as a "concept"....unless you are talking abuot some really wild ideas.

B.
  • So, does anyone know for sure what the seating configuration for this will be?
    If it is 6 passenger then maybe it will be what the Mazda5 should have been,
    a sporty people mover WITH DECENT POWER.
    Mazda told us the CX-7 concept was 90% of the real body design...looks good so far.
  • I'm really interested in the seat configuration myself plus the amount of cargo space it will have. I am trying to wait as long as possible to get a new vehicle because I'd like to get as much out of my current vehicle as possible. My first choice at this point is the B9 Tribeca because it has every standard safety feature plus very good mileage for an XUV plus pretty roomy. The back end of the CX7 doesn't appear quite as roomy as the Murano or Tribeca to me. What does everyone think? When are we going to get some dimensions on this thing? and gas mileage predictions?
  • almasyalmasy Posts: 5
    My guess from scaling the picture of the CX-7 from the Mazda web site as to the dimensions of the cargo area, ( assuming 18" wheels) would be 68" lg x 41" wide inside of wheel wells, and 30" high at opening of tailgate. With the 2.3-Liter DISI turbo engine,
    my guess would be for mileage to be around 19 mpg city and 24 highway.
    I agree that it doesn't appear as roomy as the Murano or Tribeca because the roof line tapers down toward the rear liftgate. I like the Tribeca as well and I'm not sure I want to
    wait another 18 months for the CX-7 to come out. I figure the CX-7 will go for $36k or so; right now you can get a Tribeca loaded for around $35k.
  • The CX-7 goes into production in January. That means that dealers will probably see the first units on the ground 4-5 months later. You don't have to wait 18 months for one.

Having just driven the Mazdaspeed 6 today with the 2.3L DSI Turbo, hold on to your frickin' hat! Fast Fast Fast!
  • almasyalmasy Posts: 5
    So that means sometime in April or May of '06 the CX-7 will start to appear. I guess I'll have to keep my MPV another winter and have a brake job done and put on a new set of tires to make it through the winter. Oh well...

Glad you liked the new Mazdaspeed 6.... Now if they only use the same steering ratio 16.1:1 (nice turn in) and final drive ratio 3.611 on the CX-7, that would complete the deal for me. Going fast is great, but getting the gearing right will make it a real WINNER!
  • richmlrichml Posts: 156
    Another site has a photo of the 2007 Lincoln Aviator, and an article stating that the Aviator will be mechanically similar to the Mazda CX-7 and Ford Edge. Supposedly some Aviators will have V-6 powertrains.

How similar will they be?
  • Prices will be steep!

Around $30k to start, $35k well-equipped.

Then the upcoming 3-row CX-9 is going for $38k?And it will replace the MPV. How are you gonna replace the MPV with a $38k vehicle?

I must've missed a meeting. When did Mazda become Toyota? :confuse:

People are not used to throwing $30-5k at Mazdas! They don't make a good minivan or truck. The Tribute ends at $26-7, transaction prices are well below that, so the CX-7 shouldn't start for more than that. It should stay 2-3k below the Murano. Especially with 4 cylinders!. And the CX-9 needs to be under $35k.

You can get an 8-pass Pilot for $30k! Let's calm down on the prices, please. :mad:

DrFill
  • richmlrichml Posts: 156
    "Then the upcoming 3-row CX-9 is going for $38k? And it will replace the MPV. How are you gonna replace the MPV with a $38k vehicle?"

The Edmunds article says that the new MPV won't be sold in the US, and that Mazda has hinted that it will be replaced by another vehicle. I don't see where anyone in the article said that the CX-9 is the replacement for the MPV.

If you'd seen the (then) Crossport at an auto show, you'd see that it has very little in common with the Pilot.
    The first orders for the CX-7 go in this month...May delivery is the estimated ETA.
    All of us at Mazda are excited to release for ordering the much anticipated all-new 2007 Mazda CX-7.
    Your initial order, which you will place this month, will be for March 2006 production. Mazda requires an early initial order to secure trim level components for launch. Your second Mazda CX-7 production order, which will resume the normal monthly schedule, will be in February 2006.
    Inventory will arrive in dealerships in late spring 2006.
    The Mazda CX-7 continues the string of new product introductions, bringing Zoom-Zoom to the SUV market.

The CX-7, built on a Mazda exclusive platform not shared with any Ford product, offers performance and design not seen before in an SUV:

• Inspired handling with near sports car braking and acceleration utilizing the direct injection turbocharged engine and AWD system derived
    from the MAZDASPEED6

• Sports car styling and premium craftsmanship

• Features and options typically found on premium priced competitors like a voice-activated navigation system, rear view camera, Mazda
    advanced keyless entry & start system, and Bose® Centerpoint Surround System.

The Mazda CX-7’s styling, fun-to-drive nature and sensible price point will deliver a package not currently available to SUV shoppers.

Like the MAZDA3, the CX-7 challenges buyers to think differently about the current vehicle market. The Mazda CX-7 customers are driven by discovery and expect more than SUV versatility. They are professional couples in their late 20’s to early 40’s, living in two-income households, who want the class and sophistication of a luxury car with the performance of a sports car. They are seeking a bold product that brings together performance and design like never before. Like the MAZDA3, the Mazda CX-7 will draw a new-to-Mazda customer, so it is important that you
    begin to consider how this customer will interact with your brand and operations.
    Similar to previous product launches, we expect strong demand for the specific vehicle that is featured in our launch advertising.

Vehicle Features
    Copper Red Mazda CX-7 Grand
    Touring trim with Sand interior
    Leather-trimmed seats, moonroof, Bose® Centerpoint Surround System with
    6CD changer, voice-activated navigation system, rear-view camera
  • If orders are going to have to be in soon is there an order/Feature list out yet? When are they going to do the official showing? I'm very interested in this vehicle, just would like to see what features it is going to have. Two things hope it has are Adaptive Xenon Headlamps (w/washers), and power folding outside mirrors.
  • Thanks for posting this audia. :) I'm very excited about this vehicle and delighted that Mazda had the cajones to drop the 2.3L turbo into it.

Any more information on the model line-up or options?
    The line up will be Sport, Touring and Grand Touring

sport includes 6sp auto, sidebags & curtains, abs, dynamic stability control, traction, am-fm-cd, cloth, rear tint

touring includes sport plus, leather, leather wheel, leather shift knob, 8 way pwr seat, heated seats, retrac, cargo cover.

grand touring includes sport, touring plus GT ilo leather, gt interior trim, electroluminescent gauges, indirect vlue illumination, auto a/c, HID headlights, fog lights, heated body colored mirrors, chrome door handles.

options include...8 way pwr seat
    Moonrood/Bose with 6 disc centerpoint surround system audiopilot..9 speakers.
    Technology pkg...navigation with voice command and touch screen, advanced keyless system, rearview camera, moon, bose centerpoint..

50% 2wd 50% awd build mix natiowide initially....even us in the snow areas must take this mix. Most allocation will be skewed towards Grand Touring.
    I am set on the exterior from everything I have seen but really the interior is where I really want o see what they have done, better be up to Honda quality and ergonomics. Any word on pricing and introduction date?

B.
    no pricing info yet...they are planning a late spring delivery. You should be able to see the real deal at one of the major auto shows before then.
    Any word if it will have an aux input for an IPOD?

Will the 6sp auto also have shift feature?

B.
    I think the auto trans will be a sport shift....don't know about the input for the Ipod...but, I have a good feeling that Mazda is listening to their current and future customers...so if the demand is there they will try to meet the demand.

We don't really see many folks asking for the IPOD input at any of our stores, how popular is it really?? would the lack of an ipod input be a deal breaker for you?

Some features have more buzz than actual buyers. Navigation is a great example of everyone saying it was a "must have" but yet few stepped up and got it.
  • Assuming it is transferred intact from the Speed6.

Rich

The Pilot is one of it's competitors based on a similar price, but is very different in mission. Apparently the CX will be more edgy and the Pilot larger and more versatile.

I don't see why a stick can't be offered on the Sport, since it is used with this engine elsewhere, so costs should be minimal. It seems they will sell this as a SUV heavy on the SPORT. :)

Pretty SUV, but $35k+ for a Grand Touring maybe beyond Mazda at this point. If price of entry is around $25k, you have a good value. It should come into the market where the Tribute leaves off.

DrFill