Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• rutzmanrutzman Posts: 9
    what are you an english teacher or gear head 4-wheel enthusiasts. are you going to talk shop about your Tonka Toy and walk the walk like us Nissan diehards or criticize some ones spelling. don't waste our time like Toyota has been doing for the last three years
    sorry buddy 'boone", didn't mean to piss you off I wandered in here the other day to gain knowledge about the '05, honestly have i no idea what that guy was communicating. goodluck with your Taco, my other rig is a '48 CJ2A-keep on wheeling-

I think Taco and Niss owners should be proud they don't own some American junk.

;)
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    ...far more polite ways of expressing confusion. Name-calling is NOT allowed here.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• streaksstreaks Posts: 64
    Yeah,lets all play nice!! Toyota,Nissan,Ford,.etc. As I've said before"Whatever blows ur dress up!!" This site is great for help & info...if used properly!! I was a Nissan man for 25 yrs...But, I went to the "dark side". I bought an ' 04 Taco, then traded for the ' 05. I loved my Nissan's( last truck had 244,000 mi) but they gave me some trouble. It was time for a change!! I don't regret for a second..My Black Sand Pearl, Off-Road OG#2, Acc.Cab, V6, 6m is AWESOME!! Turns heads(very few here in Cent. Pa.) & feels like it could climb a tree!! But, you know, if I had bought the Nissan..I probably feel pretty damn good too!! Good Luck to all of you w/ your choice!! Be :shades:
  • centralcalcentralcal Posts: 215
    No reports yet on 05 Frontier, but the 05 Taco took a hit on JD Power ranking. Lots of mechanical problems. Went from overall 5 star in '04 to 3 star in '05.
  • critter1critter1 Posts: 104
    Frontier has Titan frame and under pinnings, Autotranns same as Titan,engine stronger. Nismo gives more standard equipt. more bang for buck. TOY has to many
    options that add up to more then NISMO package. TOYOTA is too too complacent with the take it or leave it attitude. I think 05 Frontier will eat in to their sales with this new truck. 05 Frontier maybe best in class in my book,world a difference from old Hardbody and 04 Frontiers. Don't get me wrong Tacoma is great truck but price
    difference is a deal breaker with me.. NISAN NISMO is great midsize truck & powerfull.
    I owned a '92 Nissan Pickup 4x4 5spd, when I would have my foot in it during shifting and engaged the clutch pedal the rpms of the engine would drop quickly (naturally).

I drove the 05' Nis and Toy 6spd, when accel. to 3000rpms or more for example, after engaging the clutch pedal the rpms wouldn't drop as quickly as my old rig, making shifting a bit more shotty at high rpms levels.

Is there an adjustment for this this the throttle cable etc. to allow the rpms to drop more quickly between gears, any input would be appreciated
  • tjyodertjyoder Posts: 22
    Here is some information that I have come across while researching what to buy:

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=944533

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38259/

As for buying - I recommend only going to a dealer to test drive your vehicle to know what you prefer. The rest do over the internet. They will give you their "internet price" which was the best price I could find.
  • qwert13qwert13 Posts: 24
    Concerning the splash guards... If you find yourself having to back-up with your Frontier on gravel/dirt, you'll see that the back tires will throw the stuff onto the lower front of the unprotected overfender chipping the paint. The fact that it is a large flare fender does not prevent this from happening. This is as bad as the Tacoma not having splash guards. Guess the answer is to not back-up while 4-wheeling. I've got the Frontier...
    Adding to the previous...
    the Frontier overfenders are bold and awesome...but...
    The lower front of the rear overfender is exposed to rocks hit by the front wheel despite the front wheel splash guard. These bounce back and hit the rear overfender that protrudes unlike other cars/trucks. Take a look at just about any other vehicle out there including the Titan. The Frontier is really flared. I have 4K miles on mine and that section of the rear overfender has approx. 2 dozen hits on each side in a 4 inch diameter area and fewer as you go up on the overfender. So...I should go 5 mph on a gravel road or never go off road to chance a spinning wheel throwing a rock to the rear? I'm getting the step rails ($320) to deflect these rocks and reduce the hits. Again... glance at other vehicles out there and see the step rails/rubber overfenders/rubber side panels to prevent this situation. I want a truck that can go there (like the Frontier), but can also come out without a scratch like a lot of the others. Now...do I spend hours meticulously touching up these chips with touch-up paint or let it go until the area is practically bare and have it repainted? Of those 4K miles, about 10% have been off of pavement and of those 400 miles, less than 100 suggest the use of 4-wheel drive. How about an adhesive type patch that covers this area (black or matching the color). Has anyone else noticed this...and is it just the front wheel doing this or is the back wheel also contributing..?
    Lear says they will release a cab-high topper for the King Cab 7/25/05. ARE says there release for a cab high King Cab will be sometime 8/2005. (I'm waiting for the Lear...I have a 205 NISMO King Cab).
  • danielacostadanielacosta Posts: 132
    I have the off-road rash on my rear fender flares, the cost of being an off-roader. When it gets bad enough I'll repaint, then put larger pieces of clear plastic over them. Nissan puts small pieces of clear there to protect, but they need to be larger.

A bigger concern I have is all four of my hard mud-flaps have broken off-roading. Flexible rubber flaps like Tacoma would be better.

If I may digress for a moment: spent a half-day yesterday test-driving a Ridgeline, including some soft-roading sections. Ridgeline lived up to the magazine reviews: great ride, soft on power, doesn't have the mechanicals to off-road beyond dirt trails and mild hills. The kicker was a little "test hill" near my house with about a 35-40 degree grade. Tried climbing it in the Ridgeline. First pass in normal-AWD, made it about half-way up, then slid back down with the front-end rotating around; ended up sliding downhill at a 45-degree angle. For a moment thought I was going to be paying for a rollover in a new vehicle, but survived. Second pass with VTM-4 lock engaged: made it up the hill using nearly full throttle, a little slippage along the way but generally in control. Tried the same hill later in the evening with my 05 Frontier NISMO CC. In 4x4 high made the hill with no slippage and about one-third to one-half throttle. In 4x4 low, even less throttle (of-course), and also tried stopping and restarting part way up the hill: still no slippage whatsoever. For fun I then went down the hill with HDC engaged: amazing how I could let off the brake and watch the truck crawl down this hill in total control. Bottom line for me is I'll take the Frontier's slightly more truckish ride, better power, and incredible off-road ability over the Ridgeline's car-like ride, "adequate" power, and soft-road ability.
    So that's what that small 8" long and 3"-4" thing is on the rear flares. So they knew there was an issue and put an inch long bandade on a 6 inch sore. If they have a plastic pieces that size, I'm sure they can cut one to fit a much larger area. Also noticed that the '05s now on the lot have a solid flat step rail that extends to the end of the cab but not to the flare and is rather wide. Much more coverage than the tube style. My idea is to use the tube style to deflect stones from the rear flare, but looks like they know the new design is better for that. I've ordered the tube, but think I want the flat one and will use touch up paint and rubbing compound to make it look beter from a distance. These are rather small chips and so many can't see using a nick sander, etc. Unfortunately, I not only enjoy leaving the road, but like to take very good care of the exterior and interior for resale down the road.
    Right now, I have a transmission that have popped out of second gear 3 times on washboard...roads that my 1989 Honda Civic (208K miles) has been on. Dealership is telling me they will replace the tranny under warranty.
    Other than the fender flares, I can't believe how responsive that engine is and it goes anywhere...so far....including one place I won't go back to.

Thanks for the response...was wondering if anyone else was getting the rash.
  • matt30matt30 Posts: 27
    The JD power rankings are not based on how many reported problems there are with the drivetrain (as evidence of the Ford F-150 always taking top spot) there based on how "fun" the reviews thought it was. I'm sure the Frontier will score very close to the tacoma just as the Titan did.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Posts: 74
    I pulled off the small clear piece that came on the truck's rear flares and covered the whole area, up about 18" with the 3M clearmask stuff. I also did the rocker panels and headlights.
    It is not the easiest stuff to apply, and my job isn't "professional," but it looks fine, and it protects well against chips. I was getting quite a few small chips on the rocker panels and rear flares before this.
    I also applied herculiner to the bed under my drop-in liner. I already had some worn off paint under there from hauling rock and landscaping stones, among other things. I had this herculiner on my old Tacoma under the drop in. I see it as cheap insurance.

Thanks for the info on the Ridgeline test drive.
    Thanks to you and danielacosta, who have experienced to same issues with the Frontier, for your responses. Amazing that a company like Nissan has engineered/designed a vehicle that has an obvious, and in my opinion, a serious problem with the exterior, knowing that road rash would occur. Why else would they have put a pathetic eight inch patch over the fender...and it is useless. Even when I talk to the dealership, they say that the foot rails will "help prevent" the chips...not prevent. I had a 1978 Subaru Brat, 1984 Subaru 4x4 wagon, 1986 Montero, and a 1994 Ranger. Never added more that a bug shield to the Montero and Ranger. Those vehicles NEVER showed the chips/road rash in the years I owned them that this Frontier has shown in the 2 months, 3800 miles that I have owned it...and they were put through 100 times more than this Frontier...especially the Montero and Ranger doing Colorado mountain passes and everything else this state has to offer. Should we really be expected to be scrambling to protect our investments the way we are? Why didn't the dealerships tell us "you'd better by the foot rails". Had I known what I know now, I would not have purchased the Frontier. Now it's how much I spend to protect/correct it, how long I keep it, how much money I'm willing to eat to get rid of it....
    Sorry, but that's the way I feel...my first and last Nissan.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    I'm going to preface this by saying that I work for a Toyota dealer, so I obviously don't have a reason to defend Nissan. The reason I say this is that I don't know that anything you would purchase now would have the same durability for the paint as your '86 and '94 trucks. The reason is that ALL manufacturer's have had to convert to using water-based paints rather than the petroleum or lead based paints they used in the past. These water-based paints are not as hard or as durable as the older paints. They are MUCH more friendly to the environment both in the manufacturing process and when it comes time to repaint vehicles, but at the expense of durability.

If you read posts for just about any truck/vehicle in the forums you will find similar complaints unfortunately.

Just wanted you to have some more info.

Ken
    Interesting...
    So is this why manufacturers in the recent years were adding more and more rubber/plastic overfenders/lower side panels/rocker panels to absorb the wear and tear? Yet, it the last year or so, I have seen the manufacturers reverting back to metal. Is this because all those plastic/rubber additions are actually adding entry points for salt in Northern states? In Colorado...give me rubber and plastic. Maybe I should have spent over 2K for a new tranny/clutch...AGAIN for the 3rd time on the Ranger even though the truck was worth less than 2K. Yes...I know how to drive a standard transmission. My '89 Honda Civic is on it's second clutch...I got 170,000 on the first one....and I drive it hard. Maybe a new offered color for autos should be primer gray.
    Hey, I'm upset, but think that you are enlightening me and others to new standards(?) that is eating our money. I appreciate your input.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    You're welcome although, as I said, I can't say that I like the newer materials they're using. I know that many manufacturers are using clear "tape" in areas prone to chipping such as in the corners of door frames and back of wheel wells. It's not really pretty, so I can see why they use it sparingly.

Ken
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Posts: 300
    "The reason is that ALL manufacturer's have had to convert to using water-based paints rather than the petroleum or lead based paints they used in the past."

Are they truly water based, or simply low VOC? Low VOC products can be substandard, as well.

I have some factory touchup paint for some new cars, and it is definitely NOT water based.

That said, water based products in woodworking, as in the pro versions, not the crap at home centers, has come an awful long way. Some of them outperform the old lacquer and petroleum based products by a large margin. The good ones are E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E!!!