Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    I just couldn't stand by and watch the abuse.I was treated the same way last year when I tried to take on the Honda Ridgeline.One misspelling and I was almost shunned.
  • sugarman1sugarman1 Member Posts: 92
    I have taught you well grasshopper, keep up the good work! :shades:
    I like your style! :shades:
    I handed back some abuse and the Host Kram nixed some threads I posted that were so-called personal attacks on AWD car and minivan owners,they dont even own a pickup let alone a Toyota or nissan,yet they know what the specs are from a magazine article not real life.
    I read the forbidden posts.Have you experienced R.S. Holland.He is a big fan of the Honda,yet he owns a Suburu.
    How about driver56 he owns a suburu and a minivan but likes to test drive and give his professional opinion as to its merits of a particular Pickup. Thats uptight,either your a truck man or not,that means ownership to me.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    You're not referring to the British General are you? I would have thought that a Bentley would be more in order.
    I own a Subaru ( an Impreza WRX STI ) and what I would call my cargo van ( a 98 Toyota Sienna 5 door) which is used as my hauler. I'm actually a fan of Subaru (a wolf in sheep's clothing for the most part) but am still considering one of the Mid-Size pick-ups, namely Frontier or Tacoma, to replace my aging Van. A truck for work, and a rally car for thrills.
    I think a new work truck is in order and the Tacoma would look real nice parked next to that WRX STI.Indigo Ink Pearl would be nice.
    Better stick with that aging van Redcoat because you'll be getting some real thrills trying to resell that Fronty when gas gets to $4.00gallon American and you can convert that to imperial Gallons since your still in Her Majesties colony.
    I prefer silver.
    We're actually Sovereign.
    Whats that mean you got bad taste in trucks? Maybe you should get a quad cab 2006 Tacoma in desert sand micra color SR5 sport package that will thrill ya I gaurantee,or save $2000 get a Pea soup green quad with that righteous looking roofrack and drive to work and let all the guys and gals laugh at ya then dissapointment will set in and you'll get depressed but hey you saved some money.
    Tacoma is not superior. Period. Ride quality is o.k.
    Interior design and comfort are two separate things. Some people like, some people don't ( sort of like guacamole).
    Toyota certainly has a reputation.
    The new Frontier has a strong power-train (some in the know have actually claimed that the VQ engine may be the absolute best engine ever built. The bed liner is certainly more than sufficient. Gas mileage is poor, but so it is for all trucks. Realistically, one can achieve 20 m.p.g. mixed on an Imperial Gallon. Resale is close to par with Toys, and reliability is average (so we're told) which is good. Drive-ability and livability is subjective - think guacamole.
    Do your research, take a long spin, and pick the one that suits you best.
    I did'nt realize the Tacoma came in Pea soup green.??????
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    I've posted this before, but I get 20 MPG, mixed hwy/city in the summer, 18-19 in the winter; Frontier V6 4x4 6-spd.

I agree, "Do your research, take a long spin, and pick the one that suits you best."
    Heck, if you like a Dakota, buy that.
    Buy what you like, like what you drive.

At this point, we are beating a dead horse.
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    Nissan VQ series reminds me of Chevy small block evolution,they took the orignal 265 ci engine and just kept developing and refining it, The Chevy Small Block would have rank somewhere for best of last 50 years for sure.
    The VQ series I believe started in the 80's sometime not sure. A friend had an 86 Nissan 4x4 KC with V6 and I think it was VQ series. Anyway Old Sugar way to hyper for this old Critter!

Critter in the Surf Fish'in :)
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Please do not respond to "bait".

kcram - Pickups Host
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    I have been comparing extensively for the past several weeks these vehicles. I've seen them and test drove them in person. I have read the multiple trucks comparo here at Edmunds where the Tacoma wins and the follow up, The Shootout, where the Frontier wins.
    The trucks which i'm interested at are: Tacoma 4x2 DC short bed with SR5 package, 17 inch wheel,6 CD upgrade stereo, and running board and Frontier LE CC 4x2 with ugraded audio (Rockford Fosgate).
    Exterior- subjective, but I lke them both.
    Interior- this is where the Tacoma shine. Hands down, the best intertior of the two because the Frontier is totally cheap. Very cheap looking interior. Hard plastic all around. It looks like it was designed 10 years ago.
    Comfort- Contrary to Edmunds comparo, the Shootout between the two, I found the Tacoma to be the best compromise between front seat and back seat comfort. Frontier back seat seating position isnt accomodating. The angle of recline is so minimal and the 1 inch leg room advantage is not there. However , the Tacoma is comfortable all around, front and back seat. I love the angle of recline of the back seat. If the Edmunds editor can say that they can go cross country with the Frontier, I and my family can go cross country in a Tacoma.
    Ride Quality- Ride quality for Tacoma is car like. Very smooth. The Frontier was not bad either. I'll be satisfied with any of them.
    Handling- I'm no race car driver and this is not exactly your typical vehicle to use for canyon carving so I'm gonna evaluate them as to where they are going to be used. Maneuverability is the key and the Tacoma has the lowest turning radius. In last Edmunds comparo, the Tacoma have the better slalom time than Frontier.
    Looks- Subjective but I like them both.
    Engine- I like the VQ derive 4L engine. However the packaging leave so much to be desired. First of all the engine is noisy while the Tacoma had a quite refined engine. Second the vehicles is heavier so the Tacoma wins in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. So even though the Frontier engine had better torque and HP in paper, the Tacoma beat it in real world condition as far as engine goes.
    Safety- The 2 door tacoma received 5 star front driver/passenger and 5 star side crash rating from NHTSA while the Frontier received 4 star front driver/passenger and 5 star side crash rating from NHTSA. Tacoma wins.
    Audio - The standard audio for the Frontier looks like it was designed 10 years ago. So I had to opt for the Rockford Fosgate. However the $800 added cost is not worth it. Audio quality is better than the Standard Tacoma with the 6 CD option but it cost too much. Tacoma wins.
    Price- Tacoma cost about 23415 while the frontier is 22617. With the Tacoma winning most of my criterias an 800 dollar premium is small compared to what I'm getting.
    Conclsion- Im getting a Tacoma and I'm not going to regret it. Before getting into this truck buying process I had set my eyes on the Frontier. After test driving, evaluating the interior and interior first hand, you cant deny that the Tacoma is a better vehicle.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Frontier is quieter than Tacoma.

and yet you say...
    First of all the engine is noisy while the Tacoma had a quite refined engine

Frontier
    Db @ Idle: 42
    Db @ Full Throttle: 71
    Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 68

Tacoma
    Db @ Idle: 42
    Db @ Full Throttle: 71
    Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 70
    I'd wear ear plugs before I drove a Fronty.
    THere it is! Giantkiller you nailed it right on the head!
    Tacoma is certainly a better looking truck by far than Fronty thats not subjective,I confirmed this again for myself today I saw a Pea Green Quad Fronty with a lame tubular roofrack with bugeyed headlights,and then saw a brand new Taco Quad SR5 in Desert Sand Micra color what a beauty theres no comparision,put the total package together with performance and reliability and resale its a no brainer Taco is the better truck. Nissan Fronty is a street queen and Taco is a looker and an off/on road performer.
    Everyone has an opinion.

Brian Moody of Edmunds on the Tacoma-

I expected the Tacoma to be the winner before the vehicles even arrived. The interior is by far the best of the bunch and borders on Camry-like comfort. But despite the cushy interior, the overly soft ride detracts from the truck's overall feel. Handling is kind of sloppy and the suspension ends up causing too much commotion. Plus, the engine and transmission seem to be constantly searching for power. -END

If you want a camry-like interior, buy a Taboma, if you want a TRUCK, buy a Frontier.
    Coulnt have said it better myself. By the way Moparbad doesnt own any truck its not a requirement for posting here (Kram) but he doesnt even have the intestinal fortitude to list what he drives thats also not a requirement for posting either.
    His comments and track reults did not agree. It means his talking out of his [non-permissible content removed].

Your comment that the Frontier is noisy and the Tacoma is not do not agree with objective results. Does that mean you are speaking out of your derriere?

(from Edmunds test results)
    Tacoma
    0-60 8.1 seconds
    1/4 mile 16.1 seconds
    slalom mph 58.8

Frontier
    0-60 8.3 seconds
    1/4 mile 16.22 seconds
    slalom mph 59.9

If its relative to a Frontier then how come Tacoma beat the hell out of it in any objective and handling testing? seems disjointed to me.

Frontier was faster in the slalom and slower in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The combined difference is .42 seconds.
    That equals being beat to hell? :surprise: That seems exaggerated, not objective.
    2 Db is alot louder?Exaggerated?All have thrown objectivity out the window.Check your#1133.
    To start with, you write that the exterior is subjective, but not the interior. Why? I do not see the interior in the Nissan as cheap at all. It is simply truck-like (basic), but far from cheap. The Tacoma is perhaps more refined, but to me looks like it belongs in a Camry, especially with that monstrous centre stack.
    With the seating (I'm only interested in the Access or King), I found both trucks to be comfortable. Some reviewers didn't like the Tacoma's flat, low front seat. I didn't find that to be the case.
    With ride quality, I actually prefer the Nissan. The Toy is more car-like, if that is what you like, that is fine.
    The Frontier was more responsive (nimble) but the turning radius is a negative. The Taco wins there.
    The look of these two is the absolute least important factor for myself. Whatever on that count.
    I would expect trouble-free motoring with either power-train. I thought the 4 litre Tacoma to be noisier ( at least at near full throttle) than the Nissan. But, I'd be happy with either. The performance levels of both trucks should leave little to be desired.
    As far as crash test ratings go, the Taco looks better on paper,but, the vehicle that was tested for full frontal was considerably lighter than the Frontier. Any two vehicles that are + or - 250 lbs. cannot be compared with each other. And that is in print. Mind you, the King Cab Frontier only received a 3 star and I am not thrilled with that. Both trucks scored GOOD on the off-set crash and both received 5 stars for side impact. I would feel as protected in either vehicle. The King Cab offers side bags.
    The audio thing doesn't figure into it for me, and the pricing of these two is fairly close, but our local Nissan dealer will dicker, Toyota not. Nissan, more bang for the money.
    Almost all of the above is subjective, so what you experience is not what someone else will. And that is a fact. Everything else is opinion. You say that one cannot deny that the Tacoma is better? I just did. And that is my opinion.
    Hopefully, if or when you purchase a Tacoma, you'll enjoy it. At this point that is only wishful thinking. As with any vehicle, you pay your money, you take your chances.
    2 Db is alot louder.Exaggerated?

What is your point? That the Tacoma is a lot louder than the Frontier?? Tacoma is 2 dB louder than Frontier.

2 dB is not much, Frontier and Tacoma noise in cabin are very similar.
    Quote: As with any vehicle,you pay your money,you take your chances. Reply: Pay your money and get a Fronty and quit telling us true owners your text book evaluations ,we own these trucks unlike you .
    You wouldn't notice 2DB.What do you drive or don't you?Have you test driven either Tacoma or Frontier?I honestly don't think you have.Are you just baiting everyone on here because you have nothing else to do?Are you able to drive.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. When these two newly designed trucks arrived on the scene back in Autumn 04 I fully expected to favour the Toyota. And I liked it, until I took my first peek at the Nissan. And drove it. It would have been so easy, but no, Nissan had to complicate matters by building a top notch truck.
    He owns a Suburu Baja and a Chrysler Caravan or something,but he can read an article from Edmunds then expertly tell true Truck owners the facts.
    That cannot be substantiated.
    Point in reference - dB 75 - 85 flush toilet

A Tacoma is quieter than a toilet being flushed. :P
    You are a fountain of knowledge.What do you drive?A Rimline?
    Sure it can be substantuated state what you drive on your next post and then let the real owners evaluate if we believe a word you say based on true experience not what some dude wrote in an article. Look at Giantkillers experience he bought the truck he wanted,he walked the walk now he can talk the talk.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Faster in the slalom? Post the link to that. I repeat theTacoma beat the hell out of the Frontier in every conceivavble track test. Period.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Next time I have to close this, it's for good.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    I think the Frontier is getting slightly worse gas mileage and handling simply because it weighs more than the Toy. If Nissan would incorporate a similar bed as the Taco, the truck's performance would jump dramatically.

Maybe give buyers the option of a composite bed or steel bed and see what happens.

I wonder if the testers in these comparisons are using the same grade of gas for each vehicle? The Toy does not like reg gas, I know from the experience of owning an 05 Taco.
    I agree I too think the overweight Fronty has issues in handling and gas mileage,I know 2 05-06 Taco owners both use Reg. gas one stated on average 20mpgs allaround and some body posted on this site he was getting only 17.5mpg which is pretty bad in my book,but how were his driving habits?
    $2.89 Regular
    $3.07 Premium

:cry: Tacoma V6 requires premium unleaded :cry:

Tacoma V6 4WD EPA 17/21 mpg premium unleaded required
    Frontier V6 4WD EPA 15/20 mpg regular unleaded recommended

Any mpg advantage the Tacoma has is lost at the pump paying for premium.

Frontier 4.0 VQ V6 delivers superior horsepower, superior torque, and superior refinement over the Tacoma and does it on regular fuel. :D
    Frontier has a stronger, stiffer frame than Tacoma.

Tacoma is a LIGHTWEIGHT when it comes to frame design and strength.
    I've run both regular and premium in my 05' Tacoma and I've seen no noticable decrease in mileage or performance.Worst mileage was 16 mpg. for first 5,000 miles or so.Now at 11,000 I'm right where sticker said,17 city and 21 hwy.Whats wrong with that?For premium, it costs $4.00 more to fill my truck.What's another 20 cents a gal. when you're already paying $3.00 per gal.? Regarding the stiffer frame,when was the last time you heard of someone twisting the frame on any full frame vehicle?Is lightweight bad?Why?
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    Tacoma V6 4WD EPA 17/21 mpg premium unleaded required
    Frontier V6 4WD EPA 15/20 mpg regular unleaded recommended

You know any credibility you used to have goes out the window when you make posts like this. Toyota reccommends, not requires premium. The majority of people that actually own Tacomas have also posted that there is no noticeable difference other than cost.
    Your attitude and misinformation on truck specifications is really annoying :( this statement about premium fuel just blew up the BS meter into a thousand pieces.What did that 03 Taco TRD ever do to you to put out this false info all the time? Did you ever own a Taco or truck? Your listed as owning a Volvo and Porsch? Whats the truth if you dont post what you really drive? :confuse: Its obvious you got an issue with Tacoma but if your so proud of the Fronty way dont you list it as your vehicle? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    The truth and nothing but the truth thankyou.
    91 Octane is required for Tacoma 4.0 V6 to obtain 245 HP 282 lb/ft. 4.0 ratings are based on use of 91 Octane.

Use of 87 Octane (typical octane rating of regular) in Tacoma equals PING and the engine knock sensors will retard timing to prevent pinging/knock. Reduced HP. Reduced Torque. Reduced MPG. :(

87 Octane = 265 HP in Frontier with it's 4.0 L V6. :)

Without 91 octane premium fuel in Tacoma, forget about it's .3 second advantage 0-60 mph.
    350.8 miles traveled divided by 16.384 US gallons replenished equals 21.41mpg on Regular gas PING thats at least 3.41mpgs better than what youll see driving a gas using oil embargo Fronty,even if you use Sunoco Ultra you could never get that PING! I lost one MPG from last time and even with cleaned TRD filter this time but I'll take 21.41 over 18 at best that a Fronty gets,and thats calced the old fashioned way getting out what you put into the tank. PING PING PING all the way to the bank on Reg. at $3 per gal. I would look into trading that gas pig Fronty in on a Ridgeline soon. :shades:
    1990 Volvo :confuse: 1990 Porsche 928 :confuse: PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING the truth shall set you free!
  • gpdandrewgpdandrew Member Posts: 4
    I bought my new Nissan Frontier 2 months ago and love everything about it from the power, the options, the looks(interior & exterior), and the price.

I'm not going to bad mouth the Taco, I'm sure their nice but they were out of my budget so I never even gave them a consideration. I personally think the Frontier looks better exterior wise, but thats my opinion. The two trucks are so close in respects to performance you couldn't go wrong either way.
This discussion has been closed.