Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• I drove a Colorado before I got my Tacoma. My impression was that it didn't feel as tight as my B3000 that had 115K miles on it at the time.

Its funny, the number of people that report being put off at Toyota dealers. I found my experience reasonable and friendly. I was probably just lucky...I know I am not a uber negotiator..

Wayne
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    I have not seen the numbers, but my guess would be that since they were giving them away this summer during the employee price promotion, that was the reason. I am a diehard Toyota guy after owning 3, but if I can't get what I want, i will cross the line too. When I went looking for my last truck, I decided it would be a stick. Thankfully the Tacoma 4X4 TRD was offered in a stick or I might me driving a Nissan. I have driven many Nissans of friends, and I cannot think of one negative. I just have had superior experiences with Toys. As for the 1 1/2 inch difference, I really don't think that is a factor. It starts being a factor when there are 10 inches of wheel base difference. That is why I got the short bed.
  • critter1critter1 Posts: 104
    Yes they make great truck,But not to extent that they are playing at deal time. NISMO is a BAD MOTHER! :)
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    Your comment about dealers is spot on. I'm working with my third Nissan dealer right now. The previous duo repeatedly lost my phone number, wouldn't negotiate, etc. I felt like I was doing all of the heavy lifting. The guy who kept losing my phone number had said a week before that they hadn't sold hardly anything in weeks. Gee, I wonder why?
  • I just got an 06 TACOMA X/cab,On road Sport pack, V6 auto, Tow pack,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, $29,500 OTD """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""OUCH"""""""""""""""" (Not cheap no more). :confuse: Spent many hours,days testing and researching. Ended up between Frontier and Taco . I bet both r great. I chose Toyota for Resale,Reliability,MPG. I have had great luck with Toyota for 20yrs, STILL have an 87 MR2 and 88 4x4 running great :P .
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    Toyota makes good cars and trucks and they have a good reputation. Therefore, they sell a lot of vehicles.

Nissan lost its way and was struggling for a few years. But now they are back.

People on this forum are automotive enthusiasts who tend to be very well informed. They know the Frontier is highly rated. Therefore, there are a lot of Frontier fans here. Unfortunately for Nissan, it is going to take a couple of years for the word to get out to the great unwashed masses who are not car nuts. When the perception catches up with reality, sales will increase.
    The only problem I had with the dealers is that they couldn't keep vehicles in stock. Trucks had owners before the wrapper was off (literally). There was a couple on the lots here and there, but I went looking for a 4 door Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 with a V6. There were none of any color. After a couple weeks, and 3 dealers I was lucky enough to find 2 identicle trucks on the lot. That was at 8:30 Saturday night. I bought the one that was left at 9:30 Sunday morning. One of the dealers I visited called me weeks later to say he had finally got one in. They don't need to deal. The trucks sell themselves. One thing I did encounter was that the salesmen were not very informed about their product. I had to answer my own questions by looking on the net. That kinda dissapointed me. Maybe it was an attempt to convince me not to wait for another truck. If they can't make another one look better, they will sell what is on the lot. Maybe they don't need much training because everyone researches the net anyway. They just need to know how to give you the keys and go "run that by the boss".
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Posts: 145
    I found the lack of knowledge of the product at
    every dealership I went to. I got the Tacoma and Frontier brochures took them home and studied them.

When I went to the dealerships handling both
    trucks I found that I was the only "expert" on the lot. I can't imagine trying to sell a product to anyone without taking the time to study up on it first.

As far as customers going on the net, I have quite a few friends who do not own a computer
    and even more that do not use it to research
    a product before they buy.

The sales people need to know the product.

OkieScot
  • toykicktoykick Posts: 104
    Damn Nissan Dealership Managers dont you guys have anything better to do? like get your sales up?!
    uttazaff! Glad you can afford what you want,but some of us
    have be more frugal. We must get best deal & bang for our buck! The Frontier Nismo is MUCH better deal then Tacoma, my fear is it's selling points will make them scarce too.
    Carmax in MD doesn't have any Nismo's 4x4 @ this writting,they get one and it's gone. 05 used or 06 new!
    I'm hoping some other mfger's step up and give them competion,we need more.
    :P :cry: uttazaff! Glad you can afford what you want,but some of us
    have be more frugal. We must get best deal & bang for our buck! The Frontier Nismo is MUCH better deal then Tacoma, my fear is it's selling points will make them scarce too.
    Carmax in MD doesn't have any Nismo's 4x4 @ this writting,they get one and it's gone. 05 used or 06 new!
    I'm hoping some other mfger's step up and give them competion,we need more.
  • Simply out of curiosity, has anyone else received a notice from Nissan that starts out this this paragraph:

Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We know that towing a trailer may have been an important consideration in your vehicle's purchase. In new Titan, Armada, Pathfinder, Frontier, and Xterra vehicles, Nissan recently introduced enhanced electric circuitry which may further protect your vehicle from damage or fire caused by a short circuit wiring or mis-installation of trailer lighting or electrical accessories. This is to advise you that Nissan is making this production enhancement available to you free of charge so that you will have the same protection should you ever tow a trailer with a defective electrical system.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Posts: 145
    I have not received anything in the mail on this, but there is a recall on it. You can see
    it at: www.nissanhelp.com/recalls/frontier/2005.htm.

I have the parts on order at my dealer to fix that and the TSB on the jump seat on the KC's falling down. Parts are supposed to be here Tuesday and I'll probably go in Wednesday to have it fixed.

You can see the TSB's at the same website, just click on bulletins instead of recalls.

OkieScot
  • Yes, a couple of weeks ago. I think its for some of the early build trucks.
    I paid $28K not 30K. And the difference in new costs will be made up at trade time. :P
    28 or 30 G's still to much. :)
    Out of curiousity, I went on line and priced a NISMO that is equally equiped. Only came in $3K higher than what I paid. Of course it has a sunroof that my Tacoma does not have. For 3k, I will look out the windows.
    Can't be right with comparable equipt. I researched them Nismo much more standard then TRD. Toy hits you with options to get same equipt as Nismo. And it could be more if dealer wants to move a truck. I know I priced the 2 trucks too and Toy TRD much more and dealers hard to deal with. Take it for what it's worth. Personally I don't care if you have Toy $$$ and like it better so be it,I just think all things considered NISMO better for me. But both are great midsize trucks can't go wrong with either. :)
  • Im picking up an 06 Nismo king Cab 4x4 6 speed with the bed upgrade and audio upgrade tomorrow. I can wait. 23,654 + tax and license. I wanted the crew cab but I need a truck with a bed.
    10-4 RoadRacer98, was $23,654 the bottom line. I will be looking for deal come late June early July. I may have to go with SE truck I'm on tight budget. I will be looking for King 4x4 auto with posi rear. Saw 06 SE at Carmax that war $22,108 + taxes. It had the posi rear. I run sandy beaches fishing & posi rear is a big plus.I could buy a used right now,but I can afford a new one come early summer,circumstances will be better. Can't wait till then. :)
  • I get a kick out of "brand X dealers are better than brand Y dealers" on forums like this.

Car dealerships are independent businesses. A country club friend of my dad's OWNS 22 of them. Some of his are even different from each other, based on market conditions for the particular brand it sells.

Due to factors like topology, weather, and even style, certain brands can sell much better than others in different locales. Check out a Subaru in Florida (if you can even find a dealership), then do the same in Vermont. On the same page, check out Toyota and Nissan trucks in New England, now do the same in an area full of GM or Ford devotees, like certain areas of the Mid-western US.

Just to use Toyota and Nissan as an example, there are good and bad of both within 30 minutes of my home. When I bought my last two trucks (one of each :D ), quotes were all over the map from different dealerships selling the exact same product.

A relative bought a Prius from a sleazy dealer, I think the folks who sold me my last Tacoma are outstanding. The two dealerships are 20 minutes apart. I can name Nissan dealerships that mimic the Toyota examples.

Independent businesses...
    You hit the nail on the head. I am a Toyota loyal customer, and may very well stay that way for a very long time due to the service and reliability I have experienced, byt I have no doubt that Nissan is every (well almost :) ) bit as good. I grew up in the Midwest (rural ND) and quite frankly a Toyota was simply a novelty. There were a few Toyatas and Datsuns around that we made jokes about (and sheepishly enjoyed the mileage) with. But unless we traveled 250 miles, we saw nothing but the big 3 dealers. I took my 02 Tundra home to my Ford loyal dad, and he could not believe that Toyota had that kind of quality. He still bought Ford last summer though. Old habits are hard to break. I have went out in the world and experienced what is offered, and I tried to be loyal to Ford myself. Found the dealers unable to deal with, and the quality less than acceptable. Got a 96 Tacoma in 01 and I saw the Toyota light. Loved the Tacoma, but it was too small for the family. Got a Tundra Access cab new in 02, and my life changed forever. Made any other vehicle I have ever owned (30+) just not compare. I have seen the problems that the the big 3 have (a very close friend of mine just bought a new Dakota which is in the shop with a major breakdown at 57 miles as of yesterday), but aside from the Ridgeline, I have not heard any bad info from the foreign big 3.
    05 Tacoma EXT. 4x4 TRD 7000 miles $24000 wouldn't budge, 06 Nismo King 4x4 $23350 NEW! Tell me Toy isn't NUTS! Needless to say Toys are off my list as of 06. Why buy used when you can get a real good truck for less. Doesn't make sense to me. This is all recent experinces.
    Come summer Critter will be ready to deal on Fronty!

In the Surf Fish'in! :)
    10-4 Ustazzaf, Too many Salesman don't know their product,they are stupid in some cases. When I retire in a few years I may try selling cars&trucks,rest assured if I do I will know the cars & trucks A-Z. Just makes sense for the customers to make informed choice.

Surf Fish'in :D
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    Hey Critter! That's a no brainer! As far as I'm concerned, the Toy is overpriced and the Fronty is reasonably priced.
    I myself am waiting til the 2007 Frontiers arrive before I deal.
    05 Tacoma EXT. 4x4 TRD 7000 miles $24000 wouldn't budge, 06 Nismo King 4x4 $23350 NEW! Tell me Toy isn't NUTS! Needless to say Toys are off my list as of 06. Why buy used when you can get a real good truck for less.

That is another bonus of the Toyotas. They hold their value like nothing else. But for the record, I did price the new Nismo and found it to be higher priced new than my new Tacoma TRD. Toyotas may be a little overpriced, and I guess that is why out of every 15 trucks sold, 11 are Tacomas, 3 are Frontiers and 1 is a Ridgeline.
    Fronty will make inroads you can bank on it. If it proves out to be as good,there will be no reason to spend more.
    Unless you don't care about bang for the BUCK! :) :)
    10-4! is 07 going to change Frontier or is it your time table to buy. I can understand I started last year and didn't make the
    jump,but this summer is my time to get new ride. Want the Nismo King 4x4, may settled for SE Model,depend on deal/price. That electronic locker for rear on Nismo is really a killer for offroad use. :)
  • "05 Tacoma EXT. 4x4 TRD 7000 miles $24000 wouldn't budge, 06 Nismo King 4x4 $23350 NEW! Tell me Toy isn't NUTS! "

Toyota dosen't sell used cars, dealers do.

FWIW, a Edmunds says a silver (I had to pick a color) TRD Access Cab 4x4 with 7000 miles, no tow package, and an automatic (a.k.a. a typical TRD) books out @ $24,100 dealer retail and $25,205 as a certified used car.

Step 5 Review Edmunds.com Pricing Report
    Vehicle2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M) True Market Value Pricing
    Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
    National Base Price $17,420 $18,563 $20,468
    Optional Equipment $1,979 $2,102 $2,570
    Sport Seats $150 $160 $195
    Cruise Control $92 $97 $119
    Power Windows $159 $169 $207
    Power Exterior Mirrors $92 $97 $119
    Daytime Running Lights $24 $25 $31
    Manual Horizontal Sliding Rear Window $97 $103 $126
    Alloy Wheels $594 $632 $772
    Privacy Glass $50 $53 $65
    5-Speed Automatic Transmission $519 $552 $674
    Fog Lights $50 $53 $65
    Limited Slip Differential (Rear) $52 $55 $67
    17 Inch Wheels $50 $53 $65
    Audio Steering Wheel Controls $50 $53 $65
    Color Adjustment
    Silver $62 $66 $73
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code 06457 $-18 $-19 $-21
    Mileage Adjustment
    7,000 miles $161 $161 $161
    Condition Adjustment
    Outstanding $742 $753 $849
    Total $20,346 $21,626 $24,100

Certified Used Vehicle $25,205

Go figure...
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    I imagine Nissan will perform minor tweaks for the 07, maybe another new colour or two, that sort of thing. I'm a patient guy, so I am willing to wait another year or so and I'll probably go for the LE 4x4 - very impressed with that vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.