Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• critter1critter1 Posts: 104
    Got quote for Nismo King 4x4 auto trans of $22,303+ taxes/admin. Thats pretty good price I think. Nismo is equivilent to TRD Tacoma only thousands less. :D
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    That sounds like a heck of a deal Critter! I may be able to purchase that same vehicle here in Canada for approx. $32,000. The Toy would be maybe $3000 more, the last time I checked.
    10-4 We'll see when I go to Dealership,they don't want jerk me around,I'm not nice when you BS waste my time!
    Keep you posted! :)
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    The reason the Certified Used price is higher is because of the certification process and warranty involved - no free lunch!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    I was (well still am) looking for a Sequoia. Can get a new 06 one with 0 miles and a 36K warranty or a used 03 one with 15K on it and a 100K warranty. $10K less and 49K more miles warranty. Doesn't quite make sense to me that they can give a longer warranty on used than new. Can't even get an extended warranty on new that is that good. But you have to pay for it.
  • toykicktoykick Posts: 104
    imageClick to see Video

6 lane Intersection jump lol
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Wow, how idiotic can people get!? All it takes is one car crossing that stretch of road and both drivers would likely be injured/dead!
    Regarding the comments you made about "REAL" trucks not having VTEC (on the Ridgeline board):

Your Tacoma's Vvt-i is essentially the same as Honda's Vtec, and Nissan's CVTCS (Continuously Variable Valve-Timing). Thing is, Nissan's and Honda's yields more horsepower than Toyota's, without drinking the expensive stuff needed to get that power.
    oh really? last time i checked the ridgeline has less torque then HP. that is 250ftlb of torque? right?

as for nissan... you want a cheap product then go for it... you might get 4k rebates etc... but the reality is when you drive off the dealership lot your vehicle already depreciated 3k. ya gotta love nissans resale value...
    lol VTEC and VVTI arnt the same...

VVTL-i, which can alter valve lift (and duration) as well as valve timing. This is accomplished differently than Honda's VTEC. Instead of switching between two different cam shafts, there are spacers that are slid between a single cam shaft and the valves. At higher RPM, controlled by the ECU, oil pressure is directed to push the spacers between the camshaft lobes and valves, effectively simulating a much "hotter cam" and creating increased valve lift. When the engine falls in RPM the spacers are pulled out of action and the engine operates more economically
    SAE

ridgeline

HP: 247 @ 5750rpm Torque: 245 @ 4500rpm

tacoma

HP: 236 @ 5200 rpm Torque: 266 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

Nissan hasnt yet posted its SAE hp and torque ratings.
    I'm smilin'. The Toy actually feels cheaper to me. And I also believe that the Fronty offers more for less, and that's a good thing. And my experience shows that Nissans hold their value. All new vehicles depreciate rapidly once they are driven off the lot, at least initially, and that is a non issue with me anyhow, because, I hold on to my autos for a good long time. As far as SAE H.P. ratings go, I think Nissans are already quite accurate.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    Nissan currently rates thier HP at the flywheel. Toyota rates theirs at the wheels, which is what really matters.
    hmmm... i would like to see how the frontier does on the dyno vs. a v6 tacoma... it would show how efficient the frontiers drivetrain really is.
    It's a good thing. I'd be embarassed for Toyota if their engine couldn't match the ratings of one at least half a liter smaller. On regular gas, the ridgeline makes 11 more horsepower than a Tacoma on premium, and only sacrifices 20 lb ft of torque. Seems pretty even until you consider the Tacoma'a 4.0 vs a Honda 3.5, and that the Tacoma is running on premium. All signs say that Toyota should have quite an advantage...but does it really?
    Toykick! Time & miles is only way to know! Frontier vs Tocoma.

Critter in the SURF FISH'in! :)
  • "Nissan currently rates thier HP at the flywheel. Toyota rates theirs at the wheels, which is what really matters."

That is a false statement. Do some research.
    If the Taco was rated at the wheels I'm quite sure their H.P. rating would be around the 190 mark on low octane. That means there would still be a 30+ horse differential between the Frontier and the Taco. That said, the Fronty has more heft so consequently could use that extra grit. The bottom line is that these are both powerful middleweights!
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Posts: 145
    These trucks are a year old now. It looks like we will have our trucks worn out before this ever gets laid to rest.

Does anybody understand that you are never going to be able to convince the other side you are right and they are wrong?

I happen to have a Frontier, but I could be just as happy with a Tacoma. There are a few of us who are on both sides and the rest will never change their minds.

I don't know why I added this post because it is kind of fun to watch.

OkieScot
    look at the tacoma forum... You'll see a few dyno numbers.

torque is well over 260+

dyno numbers vary... depending on elevation and weather.. I would like to see a vs. comparison... both trucks tested at the same time on the same dyno both on regular and high octane...

torque numbers for the frontier arnt any better... frontiers torque numbers are at 284 2 more then the tacoma, The tacoma might get more power for 07. With a torque number of 278 at 3700rpm peaking lower then the frontier... this is SAE ratings, if it were the old ratings like nissan is using to push up sales.. the 07 tacoma would of been rated at over 294ft.lb of torque.

p.s.
    The FJ cruiser has the same engine and doesnt require premium ;) ...
    I havent been doing the bashing... all the nissan owners and ridgline owners have... i cant let them have all the fun!

if you dont like it then go back to the nissan thread.. and talk about TSBs and recalls.
    Gee Toykick, the Tacoma has certainly had more than their share of TSB's and recalls.
    really... go to nissans help page and see 20+ tsbs out for the frontier...
  • I would love to see how many the Taco has out, but most of the sites make you pay to see the TSB's for Toyota, Nissan lets everyone see. The early production Taco's had some problems, seems to have died down. Just looked at the most recent issue of consumer reports and they commented how the reliability of the Taco was much less than previous years, where the Frontier was a huge improvement over previous models. Just more fuel for the fire. :)
    Pretty much minor issues with the Fronty. And where would the respective site be for Tacoma? The info I gathered was from Mycarstats.com and there are a heck of a pile more against The Tacoma...numerous complaints.
    I also read what Consumers wrote recently. They also do not like the ride ( or chassis ) of the Taco. I was a little surprised because the Tacoma has been favoured by C.R. for some time.
    lol i've looked at other sites... nhtsa only has 4tsb for the frontier... but surprise you go to nissans webpage and you have a lot of TSBs...
    I also read what Consumers wrote recently. They also do not like the ride ( or chassis ) of the Taco. I was a little surprised because the Tacoma has been favoured by C.R. for some time.

The experts agree with you. People who drive for a living (at Car and Driver Magazine) cite the Tacoma as having a floppy suspension and sloppy steering, as well as a seating position that puts the driver on the floor. It was placed behind the Nissan Frontier in this test. The Honda Ridgeline came out on top. Sadly, the Americans, once known for their truck-making, came in fourth and fifth with the Dodge Dakota and Chevy Colorado.
    yeah sloppy handling because they tested the long bed double cab and it scored higher slalom times then the frontier and ridgeline :P not to mention it wooped their arses 0-60 and the 1/4 mile and hauling 1k pounds of bags in the bed... :surprise:

p.s.

nissan followed dodges lead by having a whole boxed frame... Toyota reinforced the tacomas body and added a prado landcruiser frame which isnt available here in the states... because of that frame any stock tacoma has nice wheel articulation... unlike the frontier which wont flex as much because of its heavy [non-permissible content removed] frame.
    I'm thinking that perhaps we shouldn't be including the Ridgeline in with the other batch simply because the Honda is a different animal altogether. I have to admit that the Ridgeline is technically a pickup truck, but, it does not have the same capabilities as the others that it has been compared to. Sure it's capable, but not for the same reasons.
    Boxed framed 4x4's and all wheel drive unit bodies are in different playing fields altogether.