Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• I get a kick out of "brand X dealers are better than brand Y dealers" on forums like this.

Car dealerships are independent businesses. A country club friend of my dad's OWNS 22 of them. Some of his are even different from each other, based on market conditions for the particular brand it sells.

Due to factors like topology, weather, and even style, certain brands can sell much better than others in different locales. Check out a Subaru in Florida (if you can even find a dealership), then do the same in Vermont. On the same page, check out Toyota and Nissan trucks in New England, now do the same in an area full of GM or Ford devotees, like certain areas of the Mid-western US.

Just to use Toyota and Nissan as an example, there are good and bad of both within 30 minutes of my home. When I bought my last two trucks (one of each :D ), quotes were all over the map from different dealerships selling the exact same product.

A relative bought a Prius from a sleazy dealer, I think the folks who sold me my last Tacoma are outstanding. The two dealerships are 20 minutes apart. I can name Nissan dealerships that mimic the Toyota examples.

Independent businesses...
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    You hit the nail on the head. I am a Toyota loyal customer, and may very well stay that way for a very long time due to the service and reliability I have experienced, byt I have no doubt that Nissan is every (well almost :) ) bit as good. I grew up in the Midwest (rural ND) and quite frankly a Toyota was simply a novelty. There were a few Toyatas and Datsuns around that we made jokes about (and sheepishly enjoyed the mileage) with. But unless we traveled 250 miles, we saw nothing but the big 3 dealers. I took my 02 Tundra home to my Ford loyal dad, and he could not believe that Toyota had that kind of quality. He still bought Ford last summer though. Old habits are hard to break. I have went out in the world and experienced what is offered, and I tried to be loyal to Ford myself. Found the dealers unable to deal with, and the quality less than acceptable. Got a 96 Tacoma in 01 and I saw the Toyota light. Loved the Tacoma, but it was too small for the family. Got a Tundra Access cab new in 02, and my life changed forever. Made any other vehicle I have ever owned (30+) just not compare. I have seen the problems that the the big 3 have (a very close friend of mine just bought a new Dakota which is in the shop with a major breakdown at 57 miles as of yesterday), but aside from the Ridgeline, I have not heard any bad info from the foreign big 3.
  • critter1critter1 Posts: 104
    05 Tacoma EXT. 4x4 TRD 7000 miles $24000 wouldn't budge, 06 Nismo King 4x4 $23350 NEW! Tell me Toy isn't NUTS! Needless to say Toys are off my list as of 06. Why buy used when you can get a real good truck for less. Doesn't make sense to me. This is all recent experinces.
    Come summer Critter will be ready to deal on Fronty!

In the Surf Fish'in! :)
    10-4 Ustazzaf, Too many Salesman don't know their product,they are stupid in some cases. When I retire in a few years I may try selling cars&trucks,rest assured if I do I will know the cars & trucks A-Z. Just makes sense for the customers to make informed choice.

Surf Fish'in :D
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    Hey Critter! That's a no brainer! As far as I'm concerned, the Toy is overpriced and the Fronty is reasonably priced.
    I myself am waiting til the 2007 Frontiers arrive before I deal.
    05 Tacoma EXT. 4x4 TRD 7000 miles $24000 wouldn't budge, 06 Nismo King 4x4 $23350 NEW! Tell me Toy isn't NUTS! Needless to say Toys are off my list as of 06. Why buy used when you can get a real good truck for less.

That is another bonus of the Toyotas. They hold their value like nothing else. But for the record, I did price the new Nismo and found it to be higher priced new than my new Tacoma TRD. Toyotas may be a little overpriced, and I guess that is why out of every 15 trucks sold, 11 are Tacomas, 3 are Frontiers and 1 is a Ridgeline.
    Fronty will make inroads you can bank on it. If it proves out to be as good,there will be no reason to spend more.
    Unless you don't care about bang for the BUCK! :) :)
    10-4! is 07 going to change Frontier or is it your time table to buy. I can understand I started last year and didn't make the
    jump,but this summer is my time to get new ride. Want the Nismo King 4x4, may settled for SE Model,depend on deal/price. That electronic locker for rear on Nismo is really a killer for offroad use. :)
  • "05 Tacoma EXT. 4x4 TRD 7000 miles $24000 wouldn't budge, 06 Nismo King 4x4 $23350 NEW! Tell me Toy isn't NUTS! "

Toyota dosen't sell used cars, dealers do.

FWIW, a Edmunds says a silver (I had to pick a color) TRD Access Cab 4x4 with 7000 miles, no tow package, and an automatic (a.k.a. a typical TRD) books out @ $24,100 dealer retail and $25,205 as a certified used car.

Step 5 Review Edmunds.com Pricing Report
    Vehicle2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M) True Market Value Pricing
    Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
    National Base Price $17,420 $18,563 $20,468
    Optional Equipment $1,979 $2,102 $2,570
    Sport Seats $150 $160 $195
    Cruise Control $92 $97 $119
    Power Windows $159 $169 $207
    Power Exterior Mirrors $92 $97 $119
    Daytime Running Lights $24 $25 $31
    Manual Horizontal Sliding Rear Window $97 $103 $126
    Alloy Wheels $594 $632 $772
    Privacy Glass $50 $53 $65
    5-Speed Automatic Transmission $519 $552 $674
    Fog Lights $50 $53 $65
    Limited Slip Differential (Rear) $52 $55 $67
    17 Inch Wheels $50 $53 $65
    Audio Steering Wheel Controls $50 $53 $65
    Color Adjustment
    Silver $62 $66 $73
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code 06457 $-18 $-19 $-21
    Mileage Adjustment
    7,000 miles $161 $161 $161
    Condition Adjustment
    Outstanding $742 $753 $849
    Total $20,346 $21,626 $24,100

Certified Used Vehicle $25,205

Go figure...
    I imagine Nissan will perform minor tweaks for the 07, maybe another new colour or two, that sort of thing. I'm a patient guy, so I am willing to wait another year or so and I'll probably go for the LE 4x4 - very impressed with that vehicle.
    Got quote for Nismo King 4x4 auto trans of $22,303+ taxes/admin. Thats pretty good price I think. Nismo is equivilent to TRD Tacoma only thousands less. :D
    That sounds like a heck of a deal Critter! I may be able to purchase that same vehicle here in Canada for approx. $32,000. The Toy would be maybe $3000 more, the last time I checked.
    10-4 We'll see when I go to Dealership,they don't want jerk me around,I'm not nice when you BS waste my time!
    Keep you posted! :)
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    The reason the Certified Used price is higher is because of the certification process and warranty involved - no free lunch!

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

I was (well still am) looking for a Sequoia. Can get a new 06 one with 0 miles and a 36K warranty or a used 03 one with 15K on it and a 100K warranty. $10K less and 49K more miles warranty. Doesn't quite make sense to me that they can give a longer warranty on used than new. Can't even get an extended warranty on new that is that good. But you have to pay for it.
  • toykicktoykick Posts: 104
    imageClick to see Video

6 lane Intersection jump lol
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Wow, how idiotic can people get!? All it takes is one car crossing that stretch of road and both drivers would likely be injured/dead!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Regarding the comments you made about "REAL" trucks not having VTEC (on the Ridgeline board):

Your Tacoma's Vvt-i is essentially the same as Honda's Vtec, and Nissan's CVTCS (Continuously Variable Valve-Timing). Thing is, Nissan's and Honda's yields more horsepower than Toyota's, without drinking the expensive stuff needed to get that power.
    oh really? last time i checked the ridgeline has less torque then HP. that is 250ftlb of torque? right?

as for nissan... you want a cheap product then go for it... you might get 4k rebates etc... but the reality is when you drive off the dealership lot your vehicle already depreciated 3k. ya gotta love nissans resale value...
    lol VTEC and VVTI arnt the same...

VVTL-i, which can alter valve lift (and duration) as well as valve timing. This is accomplished differently than Honda's VTEC. Instead of switching between two different cam shafts, there are spacers that are slid between a single cam shaft and the valves. At higher RPM, controlled by the ECU, oil pressure is directed to push the spacers between the camshaft lobes and valves, effectively simulating a much "hotter cam" and creating increased valve lift. When the engine falls in RPM the spacers are pulled out of action and the engine operates more economically