Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• I agree re: lighter and better mileage. The only other improvements I'd like to see are all minor:

- raise the center console so that it's even with the door's arm rest; also, move it more forward
    - More substantial storage under the rear seats
    - A more direct feel to the shifter
    - The dash isn't bad, but it could/should definitely be nicer
  • I agree re: lighter and better mileage. The only other improvements I'd like to see are all minor:

- raise the center console so that it's even with the door's arm rest; also, move it more forward
    - More substantial storage under the rear seats
    - A more direct feel to the shifter
    - The dash isn't bad, but it could/should definitely be nicer
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    I was never overly smitten with the older compact trucks, even though I'm a mid-sized guy, the trucks always felt too small to me and also unstable. Really, I was anxiously waiting for new mid-sized trucks to hit the market, and when that happened for the 05 model year I went shopping. The Dakota, for one thing, wouldn't have fit in my garage. And of course, I like the wider track of these mid-sizers, can barely imagine tipping one of these over.
    I'd like to see Nissan or Toyota offer a diesel for the North American market. That would definitely be of interest to me for my next purchase.
  • Ok here I go:
    Test drove the Frontier, Tacoma, Dakota,GMC Canyon and Ford Ranger. Considering price, mpg, size ,towing capability and ride it came down to a choice of Tacoma or Frontier.

As a lot of you have done before buying, I followed the forums on Tacoma and Frontier ever since the new design trucks came out. It seems that overall the Tacoma owners were not as happy as the Frontier owners, so chose the frontier.

I Bought a 07 Charcoal LWB 2WD Crew with the V6 and automatic. As soon as I saw this truck I loved it, it even looks better now since I added the splash guards all the way around.

I originally test drove the Nissan Frontier crew cabs with the 5' bed and V6, when they first came out and really liked the ride, power and the handling ,but when I test drove my new 07 with the longer 6' bed and longer wheel base I could tell that it was even better.

This truck rides smooth and has a quite cab , handles like a sports car on turns and during rain holds the curves like the pavement is dry.

I am also very happy with the gas milage, my truck averages
    about 19 to 20 mpg city, hwy and does about 21 to 23 mpg on straight hwy. driving. I never use premium gas, I always put the cheapest gas I can find in it and have not heard one ping, even under heavy acceleration.

No leaks, no rattles, no pings no vibrations. The truck has more than enough power. It's not a hot rod, it has a heavier feel like a well made larger truck, but it can really move when you want to get on the free way, best acceleration seems to be from 3500 to 4500 rpms, when you get to that band of torque, you feel it push you back in the seat.

I have the automatic and I am also very happy on the way that it's geared, my rpms run low in town and on the hwy. In town engine runs around 1200 to 1400rpm going 40 to 50 and at 70 it is about 2k, so my mpgs are always good. In fact my mpgs in the 265hp frontier are about the same as my 2000 Ranger at 140hp V6 and it's cheaper to run because the only way I could keep the Ranger from pinging was to put super unleaded in it.

Down falls, there are only 2 things that I do not care about in the design of my truck. It is kind of hard to park because of it's long turning radius, plus the back seats are kind of crampy for full size adults. Althoug the back seats are kind of small for sitting to make up for it when I fold them down they give me a lot of extra cargo room in the cab, and I sure like that.

Overall all the great things about the truck far out weigh a few design problems that it has. I would buy it again in a heart beat.

Bottom line ,very happy with truck at 2500 miles. Oh yeah forgot to say, I love the track anchoring system in the bed. It's so cool. :)
    My wife insisted on a crew cab when it came time to purchase a new truck, so we have an 07 Frontier Nismo 4x4 crew cab. The 5 foot box is sufficient for my painting supplies and the roof rack works well for my ladders. The disadvantage of the short bed is offset by the advantage of having a truck that is 14 inches shorter - a little easier to maneuver and park. We rarely use the back seating as such, so it is generally folded flat, and used for groceries etc.
    The turning radius is equal to my last vehicle, a Toyota van, so consequently am used to that.
    Thus far I have not a quibble against this vehicle. Everything is what I had wished for and more. I actually enjoy driving again, cause this truck is fun to drive.
    I agree, the anchoring system works well, and is a must for us.
    Drive safe, enjoy your truck.
  • My wife insisted on a crew cab when it came time to purchase a new truck, so we have an 07 Frontier Nismo 4x4 crew cab.

That's why when it came time to buy 'MY' truck I left the wife home..... :)
    With what I sold my '95 Sonoma & some play money I had enough to not have her name on the bank loan..... :)
    Long term it worked out better because we have since parted ways... :shades:
    Actually, the 07 Nismo crew cab (being a short wheel base) was the only crew we could fit in our garage. And it's our only vehicle, so henceforth the want of a 4 door vehicle.
    When my mate insisted on a crew cab, I wasn't at first wild about the idea, but am now happy with that choice.
    Sorry to hear about the marital parting, but hey, you have your truck! All you need now is a good dog.
    Enjoy!
  • Yeah like I said the back seats are crampy but my wife is happy because my mother in law still fits back there as she is under 5'. That's all I can say about that :cry: ..........just joking , she's cool.
  • colin6969colin6969 Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if the Frontier is going to get an ext/int facelift like several other Nissans have gotten for 2008. The interiors of the new Titans, etc., are fantastic. Slight ext facelift is appreciated too.

The Tacoma got a tiny interior upgrade with 07 -- a bit bigger seats and a slightly different center console style, not much though.

If the Frontier got an interior like some of these upgraded Nissans....I don't think this comparison would be as close as it is right now.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Posts: 122
    I like both Toyota and Nissan, but have owned 2 Toy. pickups in the past and have been happy with them. My question is about the Toy.'s composite bed - - what is it made of and how durable is it? I would think the Nissan's coated bed would be much more durable and give a little more weight in the back for snowy conditions. :confuse:

What are anyone's thoughts concerning the talk I've heard, and you perhaps, of a deisel engine in either of these two trucks? Do you really think it will happen and what do you think the cost difference will be compared to a gasoline engine? Thanks to all!
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Posts: 82
    You are right on the money about the Nissan bed being more durable and with the added weight in the back for slippery conditions be it snow, mud or rain.
    Pickup trucks are light enough in the rear without compounding the problem by using a composite bed.
    I also like both trucks, but I found that the Taco seemed a little light in the rear, not a great thing with an unloaded bed. The truck seemed to hop around more than the Frontier, the Fronty felt more sure-footed to me and that is one reason I went with the Nissan. I like the factory spray-on on my Frontier, so far, so good, appears to be very durable. I think the Taco's composite bed should be fine for most uses.
    I'd be interested if Toy or Nissan puts a diesel into either for the N.A. market. I imagine the price increase would be fairly significant though. I really can't say if one could truly justify paying the extra premium to save a few bucks on fuel, or for the increased torque. Perhaps if you figure on keeping the truck for a long while?
  • badnessbadness Posts: 242
    I think they need to update the center arm rest it sucks ,its not long enough,like ford center arm rest,and the toys,come on NISSIAN get Done right!
    I have an 2005 CC,V6 Limited.love it except the center arm rest,easy as pie to clean the inside,but it scatches real easy thoe.love the sunroof and wish they put a sliding rear window like ford did,I thinking about having one put in.
  • carnut21carnut21 Posts: 38
    I have had my 05 Frontier crew cab SE,4x2, 6 speeed for 2.25 years now and I have to say it ROCKS! The mileage is good (19-23), inside may look less car-like but with 2 boys (10 & 6) the thick skin holds up well, the tie-down racks and spray-in bed liner is hands down the best in the industry. The engine is STELLAR! I have read a few posts about the "weak" but they must have been smoking something when they tried the truck. The stock General tires are great (30K on them with half tread left). Should be able to get at least 42k on them.

As far as problems, the heater fan motor started making a noise (I thought) but turned out to be fine. Also had a squeaking fan belt/idler pulley and Nissan took care of this under warranty. Dealer was exceptional and gave me no problems.

Trucks are expensive and I can not understand anyone that would buy the Toyota and get less truck for more money. From reviews I have read, the Frontier 4.0 has been the most durable engine Nissan has ever built.

Mark another one up to the Nissan, sorry Toyota.
  • ocrealtorocrealtor Posts: 5
    I have been going back and forth between purchasing an '07 Tacoma Double-cab, or the '07 Frontier Crew-cab for a few months now. I visited numerous Toyota and Nissan dealers for extensive test drives. Wore out my welcome.

Finally pulled the trigger and got the Frontier a couple weeks ago. :)

I got it for these reasons.

1) The Frontier gives you more features for less $$.

2) I think the Frontier has a better, smoother ride. The Tacoma was a bit choppier.

3) I like the spray-on bedliner much better than the composite bedliner in the Tacoma. Much more durable.

4) My wife, myself, and just about everyone I talked to thought the Frontier just looked better than the Taco. I know that is a matter of taste, and some here prefer the Toyota's looks no doubt, but I just think the Frontier looks meaner, and more rugged like a truck should look.

5) The Frontier has a more powerful engine. It has that 261 HP V6 power, compared to the Toyota's 232 HP engine.

6) I think the Frontier handles better than the Tacoma as well, when you are cornering, the Nissan almost feels like a car, although I hear the Toyota X-Runner is probably the best handling truck on the market. (and expensive too!)

I will admit I liked the Toyota's dashboard better than my Nissan, that is the only drawback I see. The Toyota's dash looks like a luxury car, very modern, but my dash looks very utility-like, although I do have the chrome accent upgrade.

However, you don't buy a truck because you like the dashboard, so I got the Frontier, and I am quite pleased.

Toyota fans, this may sound like I am knocking the Tacoma, but I'm not. I came very close to getting one, but the Nissan came out on top in too many categories.
    Another Nissan Frontier owner here.
    I agree with all you say except, I actually prefer the interior of the Nissan. It appears more fitting to my eyes.
    The Tacoma's looks out of place to me, more suitable in a sedan perhaps (camry?). Nice materials, layout, fit and finish though.
    I had no problem at all deciding on the Frontier. The Nismo Crew Cab fits nicely in my garage - important to me.
    Rock solid truck, fun to drive (rare), safe, well built, good looking, functional, good handling (on road and off road), well priced, what more can one say.
    I could sell these babies!
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Posts: 58
    If you get the Tacoma Off-rd or Sport edition
    It comes with a Bed electic plug for your equipments that would need electricity!!! That's a cool feature!!
    I do like the Nissan because it is CHEAPER!!! I haven't test drover either of the trucks. I have been saying my money to put a HUGE down. Gas isn'ty help either. I did driver my friend's parents' xterra and it was very nice.
    Nothing wrong with having the power outlet in the box, it's a nice touch. I carry a power box around with me 24/7, keep it either in the box, or plugged into a power outlet in the cab. You can buy them up here in Canada for less than a $100
    (mine is 400 watt-600amp), and truly portable. Mine came with jumper cables, air compressor, and lighting.
    Regardless, that built-in feature wasn't a necessary option in my case.
    Up here, the two trucks are similar in price, but the Nissan comes very well equipped and the dealers will deal (Toyota has set prices in most provinces unfortunately and called, of all things, Access Toyota).
    I test drove both vehicles,in the style I was interested in,
    multiple times before I decided. That's a must!
    Pick the one that suits you best.
    Nissan is 500lbs heavier than a tacoma thou!
  • True but that is because it has a FULL BOX FRAME unlike the Taco which is mostly 'C' channel.
    In theory the composite bed is a good idea but the rear end of a pickup truck is light enough without making it lighter.
    Less weight less traction.
    The Toyota dealers I visited sure didn't help their cause.

Nissan had, (or still has?) either 2.9% financing, or $1,750 cash back. I had a large down payment, so took the $1,750 cash back, and then negotiated another $1,800 off that! That's over $3,500 off the retail price! I think I could have even gone lower, but I was tired of visiting so many dealers.

The Toyota guys were not willing to negotiate at all. One guy in fact, took a look at my junky car, and told me if I bought a Tacoma, people would respect me. (Great way to build good relations w/customers. :confuse:)

Anyways, I think Toyota still has the brand name advantage over Nissan at this time. I think that may change over time. I got my wife an 07 Altima, over the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, and I think a lot of other people are starting to do that too. Again, more bang for the buck.
    less weight definitely less traction.
    but it wont goes the same for the nissan.

does the say on the brochsure on the tacoma has c-frame?

I like the tacoma looks cause its beefier.
    where did you go for the Nissan and toyota dealers?
    If that toyota dealer said that to me, I woulda been like go f yourself!! PEACE!! you tell him i guess ur wont get a commission check!
    It was one of the Toyota dealers in the Inland Empire, Southern California. Off the 91 Fwy.

I WAS driving a 10 year old Nissan that I keep around because it keeps running fine. The paint is coming off, and there is a huge dent in the drivers side door.

But the Toyota guy told me at least two times that once I started driving the Tacoma, people would definitely respect and notice me. He was a really young guy, so I let him slide, but I guess he thought I was scraping my pennies together to get that Tacoma.

Pretty sad.
    That's comical! The same thing happened to my young nephew when he drove into our local Toy lot in his 03 Mazda B-Series. The sales guy (a slickster according to him) approached him and immediately started throwing barbs about his truck. Totally classless! What some might do to sell a car.
    By the way, the Nephew is still driving his Mazda.
    And I? An 07 Frontier.

Cheers!
    if anyone talk crap to me... I'll do the same back to him right there... see how he likes it.
    Tacoma is not flying off the lots... they are even offering 0.0% financing to the tundra... gas is killing them.
    My young Nephew gets his fair share of that kind of thing.
    He's very mild mannered and quiet.
    With trucks supposedly not flying off the lots, it would be a good time to purchase. Too bad I don't need one.
    I wouldn't let them belittle me of what i have that i worked hard and paid for!! I would say to the salesman face... *hey, obvious you want to make the sale... so I want a another sales guy*.
    One might be doing the dealer a good service to report such abuse to management.
    I would, under most circumstance, just turn away never to return. Good riddance to that organization!
  • vhreb123vhreb123 Posts: 83
    I used to own an 06 Accord. Now I am considering a truck. I don't know what would be considered a good price for trucks but I do know about sedans. So please help! I am interested in either a 07 Frontier Crew Cab SE with SE Value Power Package and side airbags or a 07 Tacoma Double Cab with side airbags. Side airbags are preferable only if available.
    I am also planning to buy within a month.
    P.S. Doesn't the Frontier cost much less?
    P.P.S. I live in Birmingham, Alabama, so anybody that has bought either a Frontier or Tacoma around here who wants to help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.