Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• 2005lekc2005lekc Posts: 145
    Yeah, I could not believe it either when I pulled into their lot. I had my digital camera along but didn't think to take a picture of it.

I do have pictures of it at 25 mpg and 26 mpg but these were just temporary reading and not for a sustained distance. Go to my photo album at www.picturetrail.com/okiescot.

The best sustained distance mpg I have had since then is 23 mpg and that was at speeds of 60-65 mph.

I have not had it on the road since I pulled the Volant back off of it though.

OkieScot
  • tent2tttent2tt Posts: 46
    Tried to check out your Picture Trail album, but it gave me an error message. Even without the pix, I believe you...just wish we could dupe that! Sheesh, that's superior. Bet Nissan Motorcorp would love to have you and your truck featured in a commercial!

Happy Drivin'!
    I am not sure what went wrong. I just used that url and it popped me right on the site of my albums.

You just click on the truck album and then scroll down until you find the dash pictures.

OkieScot
  • carnut21carnut21 Posts: 38
    Sounds like your truck is doing well and the pics are great. I have an 05 CC, 6 speed but not as nice as yours. How does the exhaust sound?

I get 21-22.5 pretty frequently (Southern Middle Tennessee). A buddy that has a truck identical to mine except color made a trip from Cincinatti Ohio to Tullahoma TN on 14 gallons of gas. That is about 25 mpg. He said that was 55 mpg through KY because he received a ticket for 80 in a 55 that cost him $150+. Going up he only got about 19 mpg. Speed makes a large difference.
    I don't have a way to record the sound but it has a very mellow almost V8 sound most of the time. If I really romp it hard it gets a little on the loud side and loses the V8 sound.

It is mellow up to between 1900/2000 rpm and that is 75 mph in my truck which is as fast as I ever drive anyway.

Yes the mph effects your mileage as much as anything. At 65 mph I was getting about 23 mpg and at 75 it dropped to 21 mpg.

If I would ever take the time to drive around 55 to 60 mph I think I could get 24 or 25 mpg.

The older I get the slower I drive.

OkieScot
  • joezeejoezee Posts: 2
    I made the trip once again last weekend for a fishing trip. My brother and a good friend were so impressed with the fact that this truck could pull the weight that it did. Our total weight with the all the supplies, passengers, and trail was about 4500 pounds and still the trip was awesome. The truck had no problems getting up the hills. I still love this truck. It is a beast in a prom dress. It does really have some awesome power and looks tough too.
  • tent2tttent2tt Posts: 46
    I agree it's an awesome truck. Thanks for the update--sounds like a fun trip! We are taking our travel trailer out for its first Rally a few weeks from now, so I am looking forward to that!
  • What kind of milegage were you getting before all the modifications? Do you have the automatic v6?

Thanks
  • The best I ever got was 27.1 mpg when the truck was new and no mods at all. It was a 200 mile trip down to Bedford, TX to get my Flo-Pro exhaust installed. I had a good tail wind and it was more downhill than uphill, although there was a lot of both.

I have a 2005 LE KC 4X2 automatic. After the exhaust install I never got better than 23 mpg on the road and that was before the Volant CAI.

I recently removed the Volant CAI as I had the engine covers airbrushed and I liked the look of the stock covers better. After the removal I seem to be getting about 1 mpg better mileage.

The current mpg on my computer is 19.6 mpg and that is over the last 3 fill ups and is about 90% town and 10% freeway mileage.

I have never felt that any of my mods have really helped with my mileage. I do love being able to secure the load in my bed with the bed cover and I would not take for the sound of my exhaust.

OkieScot
  • Do you have the V6 or 4 cylc? Thanks for the information.
  • Sorry, it is the V-6 which is standard in the LE.

OkieScot
  • bobw1bobw1 Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if the trailer hitch that comes with Frontier towing package is a weight distributing hitch, and what else comes in that package.
    Does the Frontier V6 take regular gas. I see the Pathfinder takes premium and I thought they were the same engine. Thanks...
  • I believe it is a weight distrubuting hitch but to get the "full" weight distribution you have to buy another piece that goes onto the tongue of the trailer. This is the same as any other truck and can be picked up at an RV or off-road store. They can direct you accordingly.

The Frontier or the Pathfinder require premium fuel for "max" hp. However, I have and 05 Frontier with the 4.0 V6 and have ran maybe 2 tanks of premium fuel. There is little difference. Most of the Nissan's are that way. They are the same basic engine except a slight tweak to a chip or something to get a little more hp. Either way, you can not go wrong. This is a tough engine. I average 21-22 mpg with the crew cab 6 speed and topped at 23.5.
  • Hi all,

Just a quick general question for all of you fine folks. I am very seriously thinking about buying a Frontier for towing a trailer. I prefer to stay with the smaller truck instead of moving up to the Titan. So the question is: what is the maximum allowed tongue weight on most your trucks? I realize that it varies truck to truck by the addition of accessories and such but I am looking for an overall spread.
    Thanks to you all.

Jim
  • Will the ECM/ECU from the Pathfinder work with the Frontier?
  • 350# on the step bumper, 500# on the hitch. The truck rocks. I really didn't think I'd like it better than the Toyota, but it's the hands-down winner in my book. Love it.
  • Would the 4 cyls. pull a small tent camper or would it be best to have the v6...Would the higher miles be harder on a 4 vrs a v6 if it was well cared for..We can afford to spend 10- 12 k...Comments, thoughts or ideas..
    God Bless...K

Seeing as my grandfather bought his 1999 Frontier XE 4-cyl (2WD) for $7,000 back in Oct. 2002 (It had 39k miles at the time), I'd say you should be able to afford the V6 without a doubt. You could probably come to a newer truck than a 1999, too.

That said, his 4-cyl 5-speed manual pulls just fine around town and doesn't have problems going 80 MPH on the interstate. I've never driven it towing anything though, just empty, around town mostly. Fun little truck and he LOVES it!
  • scottdudescottdude Posts: 177
    I think I'm going to buy a Frontier and was wondering what's new in the 2008 models, if anything. There seem to be some good deals on remaining 2007's so if it's essentially the same truck as the 2008 version I think I'll go for one and save some $$$.
  • Nissan does a good job of being tight lipped about what they plan on changing on the Frontier.
    It's going to be a long wait until ya hear much of anything.
  • Scottdude
    If you check www.nissanusa.com, you can get all the changes for the 2008 Frontier including prices and optional equipment. I was looking at the LE and the big change is 8 way power adjustable driver's seat and on the SE manual adj. Also, some of the optional equipment is now part of a special package. You can also download a brochure with all the details and specs. Good luck!

Choochoojohn
  • scottdudescottdude Posts: 177
    Choochoojohn:

I've been spending a lot of time on the Nissan site but all the 2007 info is gone so there is no way for me to see what the difference is between the 2007's and 2008's (unless the info is hidden somewhere). I was hoping someone here would know about any major changes, or if the 07's are essentially the same as the 08's.
  • The 2007 and 2008 are basically the same, the only thing changed is the options package and the prices.
  • Further on comparing the 2007 and 2008, if you go to www.edmunds.com, click truck, then page 2, then click 2007 and 2008 Frontier compare. This will give you a side by side comparison and if you check the headings, you can compare any features listed.
  • Just checking in to see if you got the info from Edmunds?
  • Hi, Scottdude. Did you ever go to edmunds and do the comparison as I mentioned?
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    I'm about to trade in my old '92 on a 2008 Tacoma or a 2007 Frontier.

The 08 Tacoma I want (2wd 4cyl 4A Access cab) is $17,990.

The 07 Fronty I want (basically same) is $17,200.

Here is the dilemma:

I *slightly prefer the Taco, but I'm not in love with it, or any
    vehicle.

The Fronty is a 2007, but has 4 wheel disc brakes, cruise control, and
    a 5 speed automatic. I'm thinking I can put the squeeze on them for an
    identical 2008 for maybe $500 more. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

I think it's a draw at the moment, but what do I know? :)

I'm thinking that I will buy from the dealer that offers me the most
    for my old 92, which is low miles and in excellent shape.

Based on the price quotes, what do you guys think?

Many thanks,,,
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    I think that you would be ahead to sell your 92 (Toyota pickup???) yourself on Craigs list. The dealer isn't going to give you much on a 16 year old vehicle that they wouldn't give on a no-trade deal. There are always buyers for older pickups in nice shape. It would be an easy sale.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the Frontier over the Tacoma. They both suffer from "tough-truck" styling, but to my eyes the Frontier is far more attractive. However function is what trucks are all about, and Nissan seems to offer more for the money.

I have had excellent experiences with both Nissan and Toyota pickups. I drove a 1990 Nissan std cab 2wd, 4-cyl, 5-spd for almost 10 years until it was broadsided by a stop-sign runner. It had 202k miles on the original engine and clutch and was still running great. My current ride is a 1996 Tacoma ext cab, 2wd, V6, 5-spd that currently has 204k miles and still going strong. (Pictures on mycarspace) :shades:

james
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    Thanks for the reply, oregonboy.

Good advice. I actually did make no-trade deals, and will throw the '92 Toyota into the mix when I visit the dealers again this weekend. I will be asking just a tad under retail for my old truck as found on the NADA site. I usually sell privately, but I don't want to have to deal with a retail sale on this one. You should see how great that old truck looks and drives. Stand back 10 feet and squint, and the truck looks brand new inside and out. The Nissan guy hinted that he may give me 3K for it, if it's as nice as I told him it was.
  • I think you are better off with the Nissan. I have an 05 Frontier with the 4.0 and it has been a marvelous truck. Not sure who Nissan pays for advertising but the truck better than advertised.

Even in my 4.0, I am getting 20-22mpg with the 6 speed manual with little or no effort and that is mainly city driving.
This discussion has been closed.