Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Knocking sound with every rotation of wheel?

Nick1805Nick1805 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2016 in Toyota
[iframe]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2dfUimxzNZg[/iframe]

I have been hearing a knocking sound from rear passenger side wheel. My car is a Toyota Solara 2007 with 87k miles on it, tires were changed last week so the issue is not with the tire. I have attached the video url. Can someone please give me an idea on why am I hearing this noise.
The noise starts after I drive for some distance (15-20 miles), it does not start as soon as I start driving.

Thanks

Comments

• capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    I'm surprised no one has commented on this, so I will.

I think you need to take your car in to have it looked at. While I don't personally recognize the noise, it is loud enough that someone should be taking things apart to find out what is loose.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I just couldn't tell from the noise. A quick run on the lift would solve this in a few minutes.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    It appears to be occurring when the valve stem on the wheel is at 5 oclock. That's an indexing point to identify the source. Nothing else can really be determined without getting it in the air and possibly pulling the wheel. Was the noise there before the tires were replaced? If not it might be the balance weight contacting the caliper or backing plate.
  • chris06chris06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Solara and I hear a deep thump thump with wheel rotation but only and I mean only audible in the mornings when I back out of my driveway. My mechanic could not find anything wrong. please comment.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    chris06 said:

I have a 2006 Solara and I hear a deep thump thump with wheel rotation but only and I mean only audible in the mornings when I back out of my driveway. My mechanic could not find anything wrong. please comment.

Almost sounds like the ABS self-test.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    Rotor runout can push the caliper side to side and make a noise that can sound like a knock at low speeds. With any noise it has to be heard and investigated first hand in order to identify the source.