Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• gtogmgtogm Posts: 31
    So it's suppoed to be hard to refuel, Or have a radio/CD player that works, or be clunk free from R to D or no popping sounds front end in a NEARLY $30k car?? I don't even except that on a 5 yr old used car, let alone a new one. Many of these problems have TSB on them so Ford knows there is issues. Probably mostly on the early build 2005's. As they say, NEVER buy a 1st year, car, esp. American.

The Mustang just like all new cars has it problems, it's not perfect like you make it out to be!
    Actually when there is a recall or problem with a GM or Ford car it makes the front pages-headlines. But when Honda-Toyota have a recall or problem it makes the back pages in small print, if it even makes the newspaper at all.

I agree a Mustang, Camaro, Vette, GTO etc owner will put up with more because they enjoy their car.
    Actually Ford did NOT fully do their engineering work on 2005 Mustang. Thats embarrassing when you can't even put gas in a 2005 car or get sounds from front suspension, or thunks shifting from Park to Drive on Auto tranny. Most of these problems have TSB on them. It's more then just ONE person, Gguy. I'm sure the majority are ok though.

All 400,000+ Mustang or 300,000+ Taurus owners can't be wrong either, right?

Hopefully this isn't another, my car sells better so it's better car argument again !!
    Most of the issues, aren't issues at all. And those that could be legitimate, have TSBs on them

How do you know they aren't issues? Not being able to REFUEL your $30k 2005 car would be a MAJOR CONCERN and ISSUE to me !! You make so many excuses for the '05 Mustang. Are you sure your not a Ford Employee or being paid by them to promote this car? Then you cover up the issues saying there is a TSB. That means it's an issue that the MFG is aware of. Yes some people do make mountains ouf of mole hills, over-exaggerate etc. But most have a legiimate complaint. And now it's the service dept, not being good and the car is fine? The person wouldn't have brought it in if the car didn't have a problem, now would they?

You crack me up. I have never seen someone defend a car so much.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,235
    Let me go check my mailbox and see if there's a check from Ford waiting for me.

Nope....nothing there.

Hmmmm....does your user name have anything to do with your protests?

In all seriousness, if someone is unhappy with their Mustang GT, then sell it. There are so many people who want one and can't get one, the cars are selling for crazy money, even used.

I do believe some bought the Mustang based on the looks, alone. Once they live with it for a while, they realize they've got themselves and out and out modern day hotrod, when what they were really expecting was something a lot more tame.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    Actually considering I paid under invoice for my V6 and the GT's were selling in my area of as much as 3 grand over MSRP I saved a ton. Now my mods did cost me about 3 grand but factor in fuel, insurance and a 30K+ price tag on a GT the cost difference was pretty big. You know what would be interesting to see is when the Vortech super-charger for the V6 comes out I have heard it will add as much as 150 hp, wonder if it would be faster then the stock GT? Would be interesting to see.

Daniel :D
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    There is a reason CR slams American cars, they are not as reliable as Japanese cars. They also slam German cars because of poor reliability, CR does not recommend the 5 or 7 series BMW for the same reason and they also slam MB. So don't give us the BS they hate American cars, just because they are American. I posted elsewhere that I think American car companies are run by MBA yuppies, and not engineers, and Japanese car companies are run by engineers.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    What us the point that you are trying to prove?

gtogm, sounds like you may be a gto fan? Good for you.

The reason why gguy is defending his car is that he loves it, as I do mine. if I bought a Honda and needed a gas tank to be changed, I would want my money back, because appliances are supposed to run trouble free.

If you are waiting for a Mustang GT owner to poo-poo his car, dream on. Most will put up with some teething issues if they enjoy their vehicle.

By the way, you can refuel, it just takes a very long time. Get your facts straight. Many first year crs have teething problems, whether Japanese, Euro or American. To single out the Mustang is unfair.

The Mustang does not have the problems of an X5, Toyota Camry or Volkswagen Passat. Let's keep the problems into perspective.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,837
    This forum is for Mustang Owners to discuss Problems and Solutions. It's not for model comparisons to other cars, so please post those types of comments in one of the forums that invite comparative posting on different models.

If you don't own a Mustang or didn't own one recently, you really shouldn't be posting here---wrong place.

Thanks!

MrShftright
    Host

Never needed to defend the Mustang. We already know what it is and what it can do.

Anyway.....Just saw the most recent MT....Charger and Mustang GT on the cover. Of course, they're trying to "replay" the famous scene in Bullitt. Not an "apples to apples" comparison today since the Charger is an automatic, 4-door....but interesting, nonetheless.

As Shifty says, since this is a Mustang forum, I'll limit myself to what MT said about it....

"The more we drive the Mustang GT, the more we love it. There's an....honesty and integrity to this car that goes way beyond retrostyling. It goes hard, sounds awsome and doesn't cost a bundle. And that's exactly the way GREAT MUSTANGS have always been."

Couldn't agree more.

If you get a chance, pick up the issue, if for nothing else to see the Mustang in the same settings in San Francisco that Bullitt was filmed.
    fris....I'm kind of torn on the issue of American iron build and Japanese iron build. I also own a Toyota. I think they do a great job in building their vehicles. But, I'm also impressed with the Mustang's build.

I travel a lot (am in Miami, FL as I type this). That means a lot of rental cars. My current rental is a Solara. Yesterday it was a Subaru Outback. I can say in all truthfullness that I've seen the distance between American cars and Japanese cars close so much as to be unnoticeable in the past several years. That's not always been the case, however.. I drive rental Buicks, Fords, Subarus, Toyotas, Nissans, etc and even drove a rental Accord a few weeks ago (which is something I've never seen before). Granted, they all drive differently, I don't know that one would be neccessarily built better than the other.

Do I think my 4Runner is built better than my Mustang? They're both relatively new, so I can't say for certain. Plus, they are both on such opposite ends of the spectrum in what they do, I'm not even sure a legitimate comparison could be made. What I can say is that they both are tight, with good paint, close panel gaps and are squeak and rattle free. The Mustang is far louder (but in a good way).

I will say that the Toyotas I've owned and driven have all been tight, with narrow seams and good build. 5 years ago, I couldn't say the same for American cars. Today, I can.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Actually the Mustang has a great reliability record with CU - check the chart. I agree that there are problems with the '05's but this is practically a completely new car and the problems will most likely be fixed on the '06 or on the '05's under warranty. My old 2000 V6 convertible is fun to drive but I don't worry about the fact that the interior looks like it was all snapped together in pieces. I just enjoy spinning my back wheels occasionally. I've had front wheel drive cars for years and years and this brings back memories of the cars I had as a kid. If I had wanted a Lexus convertible I'd have bought one.
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    For what it's worth, my dealer told me most of the TSBs have been fixed in cars coming off the line after April.

Anybody else heard any truth to that?
  • Well, 216 Miles on the ODO, and what do you know!
    1) I have been shifting gears, with no "clunking" although if I put it in Drive in the Garage without my foot firmly on the brake, I catch a little chirp ;)
    2) I had to fill up tonight, and dreaded the famous pump shut-off problem. But wait, I put the nozzle in, pulled the lever all the way up, set the little holderthingie, and it pumped all 12 gallons in !
    3) When I let off the gas, especially in lower gear I get the most wonderful music I've heard since my friend's AMX 390 back in '77
    4) Old CD's, new CD's, and so far one burned CD aren't skipping. Sorry, I'll keep trying
    5) and I need help with this one, guys, When I drive for a couple hours with the top down, I geta sunburn! What am I supposed to do, there's nothing in the manual about this :surprise:
    NO Ford employee here. Actually I'm a cable guy. Actually I swore off Fords when I sold my '78 Mustang II back in 1983, THAT was a piece of ____
    That was then
    Hopefully the bugs that have been well overstated here were just that, a few new car bugs. It sounds as though Ford has apparently done a pretty fair job making some mid-production changes to fix those bugs. If I encounter a real problem with my Baby I promise Y'all will be the first to hear about it
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Actually, sunburn is a common problem with the new Mustang convertibles and is another reason why the GTO is the best car in the history of the known universe. I think it's absolutely appalling that Ford would allow cars with this kind of built in liability out in public. Not only are they a danger to their occupants through increased exposure to solar radiation, but the appearance of these convertibles in public could be distracting to other drivers as they watch your car rather than the rest of the road. This is yet another reason the GTO is the best car in the history of the known universe; no likelihood of distracting other drivers in a GTO! :P

I think Ford should put out a TSB for the convertibles addressing this problem. Perhaps they should just weld the top latches to the top of the windshield frame...... ;)
    rorr....LOL!

sonic.....I think most of the cars manufactured after the latter part of March had the "glitches" worked out. I know mine was made 3/22 (got the exact build date from vin# and a Flat Rock employee). I had one CD skip, but it was a burned CD using some "no name" bulk, blank CDs. Since I've changed to "brand name" blanks, no problems.

I've never had a fuel fill problem. No clunks, no drips, no errors.

Had the "automatic windows down" activated on my remote. So, in short, very pleased with this "first year" car.
  • Hi! I bought my 05 Mustang GT in November 2004. Simply couldn't wait to have one. I have had the front end popping problem. I had the car to the dealer for insulators on the coil springs, but still have the popping. I've never even had a CD in the player, so I don't know if it skips or not. The 1000 watt system is kind of lost on me...I hadn't had any fueling problems until just last week. Couldn't figure out why the nozzle kept turning itself off. I guess it just wasn't me holding the thing funny, huh?

Even so, I LOVE my car! But, what is this "automatic windows down" function on the remote? I've never heard of it (of course, I haven't read the owners manual, either), but would love to have it. Tell me more!
    "remote windows down" was an original function from the remote. You can hold down the "lunlock" button on the remote and both windows roll down.

This came with the active anti-theft option, if you have it.

Because of some innane alleged safety issue, Ford disabled the feature at the factory. It can be "re-enabled" at you dealership with an easy reprogram.
  • I have the dash rattle and the interior upgrade package...drives me nuts. I also have a rattle coming from the rear interior. The dealer said it was the jack rattling in the trunk and said they took it out and wrapped it in foam before putting it back in. However, still rattles. So, two rattles are driving me nuts along with the clicking when using the AC and the front-end popping. Who knew a new car could make so much noise?
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    Make sure it isn't the passenger seat. I swore that there was a rattle that was either in the pass. door or from behind. The tech got int the car and it wwent away. This time he sat in the back and found it was the seat.

Of course they are giving me grief along the way because I lowered the car, the stiffer ride will priduce more rattles. Other than the one in the pass. side dash near the airbag, I don't have any. In fact, the one in the dash only appears when it is cooler. Right now? Nada. In April it was there and I imagine in October it will be back. By then, i assume that there will be a TSB on it. The tech guy refuses to touch it because of the airbag. I think that this complaint is quite common from other forums and it will be addressed at some point.

Other than a little rattle, the car, even in its lowered state, is amazingly solid. In fact, that was a huge selling point when I first testdrove this car.

My '99GT was solid too, as Mustangs have been very good lately.
  • dverespeydverespey Posts: 56
    Some of that has to do with most US branded autos being built in newer factories with a variation of the Toyota Production System.

In some catagories the foreign brands have slipped in quality in order to get higher volume. Fortunatly these brands have a lot of quality in the bank, so they can get by. Unforunatly the reverse is true for the US brands who have a long history to overcome.

I'm a huge Mustang fan, but I still get that uneasy feeling looking back at the previous Mustangs I've owned(86 and 89 for new ones). They had some rough build quality, and the worst paint jobs I've ever had on a new vehicle. From what I hear things have changed, but even for me old feelings make a tough sell.
  • I'm pretty sure it's not the passenger seat...I hear the rattle when someone sits there and when someone doesn't. The noise seems to come from the rear seat/trunk area, but I can't pinpoint it. The first dealership's solution was to buckle the rear seatbelts. I haven't been back to that dealership since. The current dealership is more responsive, but still didn't fix the problem. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks!
  • mrq0529mrq0529 Posts: 5
    The dealer has my car (GT conv.) for total of 20 days now and counting. The factory engr has been out twice to make test but cannot duplicate the problem. It has happened 3 times now, one time at the dealer. The car set for a few days and the battery goes dead. Has any body had this kind problem?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Sounds like you're having a problem with the retained accessory power. If you've got some time, go to the dealer and get in the car. Turn the key to the ACC position and turn on the radio. Turn the key off and remove it from the ignition. DO NOT open any doors. Wait 10 minutes. The radio and window functions should shut off.

It could also be that the delayed lighting isn't shutting off after you get out of the car. They should go off after about 10 or 15 seconds.

If it's neither of those, you probably have a bad ground somewhere.
    I can certainly understand your feelings. It took me a mighty long time to venture back into the American iron waters. I had some pretty poorly built GM cars in the early 90s and almost gave up on them. Same with Ford. Chrysler was even worse. My general feeling was GM CAN build a good car, but not right out of the shoot. It takes them a couple of years of building the same model to get it right. The most recent JD Power survey that gave kudos to GM was mainly for models that had been in production for awhile (like their trucks, LeSabres, Centurys, etc).

Personally, I don't think it's the UAW that is the culprit (although, for many years, they didn't seem to care much other than to get a new and better contract). I believe it was the manufacturing process that got in the way. After years of Big 3 and UAW arrogance, they finally woke up after plants started closing. They either became competitive or would find themselves losing the car market (which is what has been happening recently). I don't attribute the loss of car marketshare to shoddily built cars, though. They just took their eye off the ball to focus on trucks (which in turn were all the rage from the American buying public up until recently).

Since my sister is a Mustang fanatic, she forgave a lot of the foibles of the earlier models. She would actually buy a new one every year or two. After she turned me on to the early "looks" of what was to become the current Mustang, I took an interest in it. I began researching the '05 Mustang. Plenty was written about them after it's debut at the North American Auto Show in Detroit about 2.5 years ago.....including their new assembly home in Flat Rock. Mazda introduced their manufacturing techniques since the 6 is built in the same plant.

End result is, this Mustang is built worlds better than any of the previous versions.

Having already done a lot of research, when my much loved RX8 was rear ended, and subsequently totalled, the '05 Mustang was on my short list of replacements.

It's not disappointed me.

I do believe that some of the problems that have surfaced with the Mustang have to do with people buying it because of the styling, and not realizing it was going to ride firmer and be louder than whatever it was they owned previously. Some of it is related to the fact that there were a couple of hiccups early in the production cycle, namely slow fuel fill and some Shakers skipping. But, Ford quickly issued TSBs and made running production changes for models built after the first few months of production.

Only time (and miles) will tell whether it remains as totally solid as my 4Runner (or vice versa).
  • ghodgeghodge Posts: 2
    There is a TSB for this problem. The TPS is bad and will be repaced under warranty I had mine replaced today as well as the gas tank and the front strut bearings and spring insulators.
  • gkirilgkiril Posts: 1
    Hey all, 6-cyl, 5-spd here. I had the rattle in the dash also and a bracket came loose underneath that sounded frightening during acceleration (none of the other problems thankfully). I reported it and had the car back at the dealership before I discovered this forum. They fixed the loose bracket, but it took a while for the dealer to acknowledge the noise in the dash. When they did, they said they thought it was the transmission or the clutch, both of which were replaced. I don't believe it was related to either, but the noise IS gone. Anyway, since I've had it back, I have a new intermittent problem. When I shift into fifth it sounds as if the gears are grinding, or you could describe it as that sound you get when you try to put the car in reverse and it doesn't want to go at first, but after releasing and re-engaging the clutch you get it there. It's like it's being forced. The girlfriend took the car in, but because it's intermittent and it couldn't be duplicated, they said there was nothing they could do. I understand that, to a point, but I'm concerned about being stranded on the highway or the flywheel getting damaged. They did document the complaint, but right now, we have to drive it this way. Has anyone experienced this type of problem or does anyone have any suggestions? We had thought the dash rattle was one of those obscure problems, but after reading this forum we realize it's pretty common. I'm like everyone else, I hate these problems, but we love the Mustang and we are very happy with it. As long as the dealership/Ford is cooperative, we won't regret our purchase. It has been a great car to have. Any info on the shifting problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Keven.
  • mudpie70mudpie70 Posts: 1
    my '05 GT went into the shop today. i took it in saying there was a loud popping noise when i turn sharp to the left and right, and it occurs over all 4 wheels. i was told initially that there isn't a problem with the cars, then later they called me and said there is a problem with bushings in the struts on the new mustangs. i've only had mine 3 weeks. and also, i have the rattle problem in the back right quarter of the car too that i cant seem to narrow down.
    I'll post this hear since others may be interested, too.

One of the features of the "active anti-theft" option was the ability to roll down the windows with the remote by holding down the "unlock" button.

For some sort of "safety" issue that's something I don't understand, Ford "disabled" the feature.

My owners manual outlines the feature (it is outlined on page #65 in my owners manual under LOCKS AND SECURITY...Opening All Windows). Show that to your dealership's service dept to have them reactivate it (if they will....it's a simple 5 minute process).

Truthfully, the dealership isn't supposed to "reactivate it" because of the alleged safety issues. But, mine had no issues doing it. That said, there was a rumor that Ford totally did away with the feature starting sometime in April or May. Don't know how true that is, though. Since all owners manuals and MSRP stickers state that Ford with holds the rights to change features at any time, they may have indeed, done just that.
  • You are probably right about Ford taking away the feature. My manual (3rd printing April '05) does not mention this feature ANYWHERE. Plus, my Mustang GT was made early June '05 so I guess those of you with earlier build dates "have" the feature and those of us after won't since Ford probably won't activate it.
This discussion has been closed.