Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,911
    Tried to tell her the same thing....no plug wires. But, she insisted that's what the dealer did. Who knows if they did anything at all. I think she's been listening to way too many of her "Saturday bridge cronies" on what the dealer did.

I did, indeed, let her listen to my exhaust. She said it must be a chronic problem with ALL MUSTANGS, since mine did it too.

That's what gets me so frustrated. No matter how you try to 'splain things, some people just refuse to believe that there is no problem. This is the same lady, by the way, that was coming from a Solara. She said that her Toyota never made those kinds of sounds.....well, "duh"!

Same goes for the guy that had the Impala SS. No doubt those cars had their own following, but they had floppy, mushy suspensions, rickety build that squeaked and rattled their way down the road. Nowhere near the performance of the Mustang GT and weren't built nearly as well. They were relatively quiet vehicles, too (with all the weight and sound deadening, they better be quiet). Still, since the General decided to "Ax" it just when it was getting good, they are thought of as somewhat of a "cult" car.

That's not the Mustang, though. By design, you're going to hear the exhaust. You will hear some gear whine. That's part of the mechanical allure of it.

When I had my deaparted and much loved RX8, I heard some of the same things. People complained that they could hear the car's mechanicals. Again, with a 9K redline, I sure wanted to hear that. That was part of it's allure, too.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    If you don't want to hear anything buy a Camry. A Mustang GT explodes with cool sounds, like I said, if you don't like that, buy 210 hp Camry. :P
  • jhipsterjhipster Posts: 6
    I have got my gas tank and front end brackets replaced, this has resolved gas filling and front end popping sounds problems.
    The whineing from the rear of the car between 40 mph and 60 mph when decelarating is still there. Even though a new crown and pinion was replaced.
    I am starting to wonder if some of the people who are writing into this chat forum are ford representives or paid by ford to defend the 05 mustang reliability reputation.
    When i pay out 30000 dollars i want quality. AS FAR AS IAM CONCERN IAM NOT GETING IT.
    Please let me know if any one resolves there whineing issue
    thanks jhipster
    I am sure car companies have people here hyping thier cars, that's why I use Consumer Reports for all my research. CR is non-profit which means it does not take advertising money from car companies. Additionally, I have posted here that my first Mustang fell completely apart in 3 years, including the transmission. So I am no Ford Shill. If you pay 30k for a car, you deserve qualtiy. :cry:

But I love the look and power of the new GT.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    I would just like to mention that I have had my 05 V6 for about 3 months now and am very pleased and love the ride and power. It's not the V8 but I put an intake, tune and Magnaflow on it and it will outrun a good amount of cars out there. Sure the shaker 500 will skip a little every once in a while on a burned cd and I am fixing one TSB on it, the random popping from the front end on slow turns but overall it's a fantastic car. You should see it riding on 20" chrome rims, oh it's lovely. I'm sure the 2006 models will have a few of these bugs most of us have experienced worked out but I would say that a vast majority would not trade their car back in if they could. I know I wouldn't. I do recommend the SCT tune to all of you out there, it's a wonderful little mod.

Daniel
    http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/25334/cat/500/ppuser/23762
    Go check out how it looks on 20's
    Great looking car!!! :shades:
  • wildhorsewildhorse Posts: 10
    we got to test drive a 05 GT and a 05 V6 convertible before we decided on what we wanted. We found the GT to be "LOUD" with that engine roar and the V6 was quieter even with a convertible top. . We also found the GT had a stiffer suspension than the V6. These two basic things turned us to the v6 as the Mustang type we wanted. Ford must be catching up with their 05 inventory. I saw alot of them now at our local dealers in their inventory lists online. No..I haven't been to the lots to see if they are still flying off the lots as fast as they had been. I wonder now if the 06 v6 is going to be stiffer suspesion as I understand they are making something simular to what the GT has?
  • gtogmgtogm Posts: 31
    Consumer Reports/car testers iare very BIASED against American cars, as are other magazines. They don't have much credibility. I get a laugh out of reading CR for free from a freind that gets it.
    Lets be subjective here, the Impala SS did not have rickety build or squeak and rattle down the road as you claim. Build quality was just as good as 1994 to 1996 Ford Full sized cars! Many police were annoyed when they had to go the Crown Vic squad car, slower and less performance then their Caprices... 260hp vs 210hp, big dif. Impala was cancelled to make more production for trucks and SUV's, GM's and Ford's most profitable vehicles.

I would hope a 2005 Mustang has a better build quality then a 1996 Impala !! Mustangs were never known for their build quality.
    My opinion and 2 cents, but After you put all this money into a V6 mustang, tune, intake, magnaflow, 20" rims etc, you could have almost just bought the real deal, the V8 Mustang. I would rather have a base V8 Stang then a tarted up V6 one. To each their own.
    So it's suppoed to be hard to refuel, Or have a radio/CD player that works, or be clunk free from R to D or no popping sounds front end in a NEARLY $30k car?? I don't even except that on a 5 yr old used car, let alone a new one. Many of these problems have TSB on them so Ford knows there is issues. Probably mostly on the early build 2005's. As they say, NEVER buy a 1st year, car, esp. American.

The Mustang just like all new cars has it problems, it's not perfect like you make it out to be!
    Actually when there is a recall or problem with a GM or Ford car it makes the front pages-headlines. But when Honda-Toyota have a recall or problem it makes the back pages in small print, if it even makes the newspaper at all.

I agree a Mustang, Camaro, Vette, GTO etc owner will put up with more because they enjoy their car.
    Actually Ford did NOT fully do their engineering work on 2005 Mustang. Thats embarrassing when you can't even put gas in a 2005 car or get sounds from front suspension, or thunks shifting from Park to Drive on Auto tranny. Most of these problems have TSB on them. It's more then just ONE person, Gguy. I'm sure the majority are ok though.

All 400,000+ Mustang or 300,000+ Taurus owners can't be wrong either, right?

Hopefully this isn't another, my car sells better so it's better car argument again !!
    Most of the issues, aren't issues at all. And those that could be legitimate, have TSBs on them

How do you know they aren't issues? Not being able to REFUEL your $30k 2005 car would be a MAJOR CONCERN and ISSUE to me !! You make so many excuses for the '05 Mustang. Are you sure your not a Ford Employee or being paid by them to promote this car? Then you cover up the issues saying there is a TSB. That means it's an issue that the MFG is aware of. Yes some people do make mountains ouf of mole hills, over-exaggerate etc. But most have a legiimate complaint. And now it's the service dept, not being good and the car is fine? The person wouldn't have brought it in if the car didn't have a problem, now would they?

You crack me up. I have never seen someone defend a car so much.
    Let me go check my mailbox and see if there's a check from Ford waiting for me.

Nope....nothing there.

Hmmmm....does your user name have anything to do with your protests?

In all seriousness, if someone is unhappy with their Mustang GT, then sell it. There are so many people who want one and can't get one, the cars are selling for crazy money, even used.

I do believe some bought the Mustang based on the looks, alone. Once they live with it for a while, they realize they've got themselves and out and out modern day hotrod, when what they were really expecting was something a lot more tame.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    Actually considering I paid under invoice for my V6 and the GT's were selling in my area of as much as 3 grand over MSRP I saved a ton. Now my mods did cost me about 3 grand but factor in fuel, insurance and a 30K+ price tag on a GT the cost difference was pretty big. You know what would be interesting to see is when the Vortech super-charger for the V6 comes out I have heard it will add as much as 150 hp, wonder if it would be faster then the stock GT? Would be interesting to see.

Daniel :D
    There is a reason CR slams American cars, they are not as reliable as Japanese cars. They also slam German cars because of poor reliability, CR does not recommend the 5 or 7 series BMW for the same reason and they also slam MB. So don't give us the BS they hate American cars, just because they are American. I posted elsewhere that I think American car companies are run by MBA yuppies, and not engineers, and Japanese car companies are run by engineers.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    What us the point that you are trying to prove?

gtogm, sounds like you may be a gto fan? Good for you.

The reason why gguy is defending his car is that he loves it, as I do mine. if I bought a Honda and needed a gas tank to be changed, I would want my money back, because appliances are supposed to run trouble free.

If you are waiting for a Mustang GT owner to poo-poo his car, dream on. Most will put up with some teething issues if they enjoy their vehicle.

By the way, you can refuel, it just takes a very long time. Get your facts straight. Many first year crs have teething problems, whether Japanese, Euro or American. To single out the Mustang is unfair.

The Mustang does not have the problems of an X5, Toyota Camry or Volkswagen Passat. Let's keep the problems into perspective.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,681
    This forum is for Mustang Owners to discuss Problems and Solutions. It's not for model comparisons to other cars, so please post those types of comments in one of the forums that invite comparative posting on different models.

If you don't own a Mustang or didn't own one recently, you really shouldn't be posting here---wrong place.

Thanks!

MrShftright
    Host
    Never needed to defend the Mustang. We already know what it is and what it can do.

Anyway.....Just saw the most recent MT....Charger and Mustang GT on the cover. Of course, they're trying to "replay" the famous scene in Bullitt. Not an "apples to apples" comparison today since the Charger is an automatic, 4-door....but interesting, nonetheless.

As Shifty says, since this is a Mustang forum, I'll limit myself to what MT said about it....

"The more we drive the Mustang GT, the more we love it. There's an....honesty and integrity to this car that goes way beyond retrostyling. It goes hard, sounds awsome and doesn't cost a bundle. And that's exactly the way GREAT MUSTANGS have always been."

Couldn't agree more.

If you get a chance, pick up the issue, if for nothing else to see the Mustang in the same settings in San Francisco that Bullitt was filmed.
This discussion has been closed.