Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• pony_piratepony_pirate Posts: 317
    Back in Aug '05 when I test drove the new Tang, I told the female "salesperson" (is that the "political correct" term?) that the preceding design, well, sucked, looked like clumsily dripped wax, and, frankly, was a "woman's car."

There are definite male and female cars -- e.g., the Miata is notorious for being a female divorcee car. In fact, for the past 20 plus years I've been driving "female" cars, Honda Accords, indifferent to public opinion and gender characterizations. Now, at last, my imagination has been inseminated by a masculine "muscle" car, the square-edged, redesigned Mustang (and there's no going back).

Gee, oh m'gosh, there will always be women driving men's cars (Freud called it "penis envy"). In fact, one grandma in my environs pushes a screaming yellow GT. Go, grandma, go! :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,279
    Host agrees, and offending post has been removed.

PLEASE don't grind the forum to a halt with repetitive and un-solvable arguments. Make your point and let's move on. Also, try to exercise courtesy in all responses so that I don't have to intervene and interrupt the flow of ideas.

Last of all, my hosting experience shows that discussions of weird theories about "chick cars" often lead to fatal consequences for the topic, so I'd suggest you all avoid this issue and stick to nuts and bolts (no puns intended).

thanks,

MrShiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• The 5 speed automatic transmissions are made in France, the previous automatics were 4 speed , so I don't know where they were made. The 5 speed manuals are Tremecs, I think they are made in the U.S.A. The engine is the Koln or Cologne engine. Originally used as a 2.8 liter V6 on the 1979 Mustang. Displacement up to 4 liter in the 90's with the Ford Explorer, Rangers etc. I think in 1998 it recieved the OHC valve trains in place of the previous pushrods. Koln is where the Ford engine factory is located in Germany.
  • cobragtcobragt Posts: 95
    I can't believe that you are stooping to a male to female look or appeal of a car...that is not what this forum is for.

Stangnet is also NOT an offical site that does reviews. Go to C&D or MT, and look up the previous year. As brought out over 200 TSBs. It doesn't matter if 199 of them related to just the transmission, thats STILL 199 PROBLEMS!!!

Like I said before...it SEEMS there is so many problems, because everyone who has a problem with the 05/06 comes HERE to get help. So obviously there is going to be a concentration of problems in this particular thread.
    Out of the 23 or so TSB in the new model, few are serious. A gas tank problem of not filling is not a HUGE problem. It DOES NOT make the car a danger to drive, nor does it impede its normal operation. HOWEVER, having transmission problems (your arguement for the last body) DOES effect the drivability of the car...and could also pose a potential danger to the driver as well as others.
    So please, lets keep it to facts, and not immature, kiddie arguements.

40yrswaitin...you are welcome. If there is anything else I can help you with just let me know.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    Can you help me buy that supercharger..... ;) I'm still jealous... lol

Daniel
    HaHa. By help you....what do you mean? Give you money? lol.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    And the Stangnet website has MANY posts in it from people who own the 99-04 and the 05 & 06 Mustang with all the problems that each of these cars has with its respectable year. Please don't tell me that Stangnet.com is not an official Mustang website. It is. It has more information about all the various problems that the Mustangs have than any other Mustang website around.
    Well you offered 40yrswaitin "if there is anything else I can help you with just let me know." so I figured it was worth a try... I mean not all of us can afford that 6 grand.

:surprise:
    Tell me you are joking....
    stangnet is just another website, with a forum section where people can post their problems. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT OFFICIAL.

Anyway, there is clearly no reasoning with you...so I'm finished.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    How is the automatic transmissions in the New Stangs? Do they feel solid and shift smoothly? This new French made transmission used in any other Ford car? Wondering about any track record for reliability. Do like to shift, but it is of course less than fun in town - the land of a thousand shifts between 1st and 3rd to get nowhere.
    -Loren
    Yeah...and when they post their problems, you KNOW exactly what problems that these Mustangs have. The Stangnet forum is dedicated ONLY to Mustangs and its topics go into DEEP DETAIL about all the problems that the various year Mustangs have.
    I suggest the Stangnet forum to everyone in here who wants to find out more about all the problems that their particular year Mustang has.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Dude, Stangnet is not "THE" official Mustang site. I could name off 10 Mustang forums that I'm registered to, and they're all dedicated to Mustangs and break it down my model. Go to Google and you can find more Mustang dedicated forums to join than you thought possible.
    Go to www.stangnet.com and look in the forums under "2005+ Mustangs" under "Transmissions" and you will see how bad the French transmissions are.
    Yes, there are other Mustang websites too. Corral.net & 3.8mustang.com are other good Mustang websites.
  • I think the transmission was used for years on the Explorers, being 5 speed automatics. reliability and durability I think is below average , place of manufacture could be in a variety of different factories probably. Here is my take, just relax and enjoy the car, it is normal to have an American Iron's tranny rebuilt, due to parts availability and moderate cost. However a tranny job on imports are catastrophic in cost and downtime.
  • depbulldepbull Posts: 3
    MY GIRLFRIEND HAS A 05 MUSTING WITH 15000 MILES ON IT, IT IS A PIECE OF JUNK! GAS TANK PROBLEMS......SHIFTS WEIRD.ETC THE DEALERSHIP WE KEEP TAKING IT TO TELLS US THEY HAVE TO GET IT APPROVED BY FORD TO FIX THE PROBLEM, AND FORD WON'T APPROVE IT. I HATE FORD, CHEVY , THE LEAVE THEIR CUSTOMERS HANGING EVERY TIME. I GOT HER TALKED INTO A TOYOTA, OR NISSAN, WE ARE DONE WITH FORD, AND CHEVY
    Tank problem...easily fixed. Shifts weird...what does that mean? And you also said...ETC...well that is that? Elaborate on your other problems.
    The transmission is the same as the automatic in the Lincoln LS. I was a bit concerned in seeing bad looking data in Consumer Reports for year 2006. Then I did some checking at MSN Auto, and no such problems with the tranny. Looked at JD Powers and LS looks fine. I thought what's up here. Went back to 2005 Consumer Reports and the LS Lincoln, tranny and all is just fine - better than average. Then I looked it up in the 2003 magazine and it is fine. I am finally convinced something is wacky with Consumer Reports data. It makes no sense that the car is great, great and then not so good.

I would say I am no longer too concerned the transmissions. And the suspension issue seems to be addressed as a known issue.

I did go to Stang Net, BTW and found a couple of people talking about problems with the tranny, but no more than any other site on cars -- only a few posts, actually.

Ford should have the kinks out of the Stang by next model year. Or sooner. It is possible for ANY car to be a lemon, so it is not unusual to hear reports of people with multiple problems on any car. I would be angry too to have a car fall apart. Is it happening to most people though? Cross referencing with MSN Auto, JD Powers, and Consumer Reports, as well as, what people are saying here and elsewhere, I would say it is at least average, if not better than average for the New Stang as a first year model.

For being a new car, as in first two years, the reliability is pretty close to the 2004, which was a model with years and years and .... well it was an old chassis to build on. There are a couple things, like the tank problem and suspension to work out and they will. I think the transmission problems, if any, are not pandemic.

Some of the strange conflicts in data in the last issue of Consumer Reports, still has me scratching my head. A few cars seem to have turned from great to bad over night, and that simply is not possible. I wonder if the last issue has some issues :confuse:
    -Loren
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Posts: 317
    Consumer Reports' idea of a "fun" car is the Subaru Impreza. Those guys are nerds, blind to style and performance, only aware of function and cost. The publication is mainly useful not for their tests of new cars, but for the consumer evaluations of used cars, good if you're looking for basic reliable transportation, little else.

I haven't found their reviews of other products (matresses, stereos, computers, tv's, etc.) to be useful or accurate.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Posts: 83
    I agree. Consumer Reports has to be one of the biggest scams going. I often question the qualifications of the people doing the reviews at that magazine. One time a writer was criticizing the "ease of shifting of the 5 speed stick" and the car he was testing was an automatic.
  • macatowamacatowa Posts: 69
    They did rate the new Mustang GT Good, that is like four gold stars for an American Car!!!!
    Yeah the 2006 C.R. magazine had the Mustang rated pretty good, it was recommended. Ratings were much better then VW, Saab, most chevy/gmc/pontiac/BMW/Mercades and all the other cars ford makes.

Just a little side note. The report also listed models with the most reported problems over the past 5 - 10 years and believe it or not the number one was an Infinity, FX45.

D
    They sort of recommended the Mustang. They recommended the GT, but not the V6. They did not elaborate on why they do not recommend the V6. The CR reviews are a bit quirky, so I use to use the magazine mostly for the back pages where they have the data of the owners survey. But now I see some very-very strange quirks in the rating of the LS Lincoln. I was trying to get a handle on reliability of automatic vs, the stick in the New Stang. Since the tranny was used before in the LS car, I thought it would be something to research. Well - well, the data looks terrible in the current book, much unlike two other CR magazines data shows for 2003 and 2005. This is just weird. Now, all the sudden, the same good tranny is a bad one. I think not.

If you are using CR for info. on car reliability, do cross reference it with MSN Auto ( reliability tab ), JD Power, and what owners are saying at Edmund's and MSN Auto. There is also that Consumer Guide for autos on the Net, which has the recalls and other problems listed on cars. Not saying that Consumer Reports is not something to use, but ONLY when you compare the data to check its data to others.

The Mustang GT owner I know still loves the car. I do wish Ford would have a 4 yr. warranty, or greater on their cars. Inventory is building, so I bet the prices will keep going down and down.
    -Loren
    I would buy the new GT, but not the new V6. Ford needs to iron out the problems with the V6.
  • macatowamacatowa Posts: 69
    They need to get the 3.5 Litre in the stang! That is the future, however for me I only want the Real Deal,

2006 Vista Blue GT Stick, 2.6k miles (loving every single one)
    Such as what? Problems with the 6 are ???
    -Loren
    Problems with the front suspension, problems with the gas tank and with not being able to fill up the tank, problems with the transmission, shifting problems, problems with the electrical system and problems with the V6 stalling. :lemon: :sick:
    What is interesting to note is that the transmission has been used for years, if it is the automatic we are talking about, without major problems in the LS. The gas tank problem should be in both V6 and V8. I assume most of the electrical is the same in both models of Stangs. I don't get it???

The V6 is stalling? I wonder why, it is another tried and true engine dating back years. I guess it is possible that a modification to that engine before placement into the Mustang was enough to create a problem, but it seems less than likely.

Any car can have a problem I guess. How often the occurance is what to watch out for. So far, best I can tell the car is around average. A Camry may be more reliable, while at the same time be more of bore. The older Celica was the sporty + reliable car, and it is no more. The pre-2000 was bullet proof. I think most people are happy enough with the Mustang, so weighing in the fun factor, they will take on the risk of possible problems here and there. So far, from what I have seen, the problems are too numerous. When you have a problem though, I do understand it is one major headache -- any one out hundred cars can be that way. It happens - it's a bummer.
    -Loren
  • lmmlmm Posts: 70
    dude,

the problems you are referring to are mostly GT issues not the V6.

go read the real mustang forum boards and you will read all about these issues.

Most are 2005 problems. The gas tank issue did cross all models.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Posts: 83
    dude,
    these (and more) are issues with the V-6 as well. Read the reviews, more problems with the V-6.
This discussion has been closed.