Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    From what I am seeing here in the way of problem areas, is it safe to say the best Mustang for reliability is the 2004 model, or older? I realize the improvements for handling, and in some, but perhaps not all ways in styling, but what about every day rock solid no problems driving?

Loren
  • Loren-

Ford had to work out the kinks in 2005 - if you notice, most of the problems with the cars here are with the 2005, not the 2006.

I am willing to bet that the 2006 will be improved. I hope so. I have one ordered!
  • The GT '05 and '06 are exactly the same car, nothing at all, nothing changed. Only difference in '06 is an added exterior color and optional 18" wheels.

Interesting, it takes 8-12 weeks to get a GT on order, 4 weeks to get a Vette C6 -- difference in price about $24k.
  • From what I am seeing here in the way of problem areas, is it safe to say the best Mustang for reliability is the 2004 model, or older? I realize the improvements for handling, and in some, but perhaps not all ways in styling, but what about every day rock solid no problems driving?

I have owned an '05 GT convertible since July, no problems with fueling, vibration, reliability, batteries, starting, or whatever. Over 5,000 trouble free miles.
    With what; almost 200,000 cars built, I only see a few dozen different complaints on this thread. Look back to the beginning of this thread, and count the individual complaints. Not all that many, and 80% covered by TSB's. Does that make the Mustang unreliable? Any new model designed from the ground up is going to have first year bugs, and the Mustang was no exception. My personal experience is a good one, and that there are so few complaints in general bodes well for the Mustang, and hopefully for Ford as well. Are you better off waiting on ANY new car introduction? Of course! I couldn't wait, myself, and I would have put up with even a couple known issues to be the "First on the Block" this time around
  • ipesqipesq Posts: 1
    :mad: I just got my '06 and, while I am in love with te performance of the car, the 6-CD changer is pissing me off to no end. The changer drops out momentarily at the end of every track as the timer resets to 000. While this is not an issue with most studio CDs, I listen to a lot of live stuff and it is very annoying to have the end of a song go blank (with the crowd noise momentarily muted) and even worse when a song has multiple tracks (try listening to Celebration of the Lizard with a muted portion between every part). Reminds me of the track changes in an 8-track unit.

I took it to the dealer and was told it is due to the MP3 software. Now, I am a dinausaur ... got rid of 8-tracks, but would have a turntable in the front seat if I could ... so I have no use to MP3's or iPods and the like. When I told them I wanted the MP3 software disabled, they claimed it could not be done. We are at war as I write this, my having demanded an adequate fix. My $1000 system has got to perform better than my 4 year old's $50 boombox, which plays Celebration of the Lizard quite well, thank you.

I will do the A/B test to see if that lends any clue to the possible fix.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Thanks everyone for the posts on how you like the Mustang for '05-06. Looks like there are as many pleased with the purchase overall, as those with major problems. May consider one some day. Would be interesting to test the '04GT and an '05 on the same day to see how the two compare. From reading posts on Mustang websites, it seems some people miss the old 5.0 engine. The sound is said to be the best, and it is an easier to work on or modify engine. Well that is what is said, though I am no mechanic. I guess it is time to move on, and buy the latest, although I still like a couple or so things about the '04 and old models. From the reviews, it appears the Mustang is now rated as a best ever Stang. Well, I am sure some collectors will disagree, but as an everyday drivers car, for fun and practical - best ever rating will hold based on the numbers. Yea, life is more than numbers.

Loren
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Would be interesting to test the '04GT and an '05 on the same day to see how the two compare.

They don't compare. I owned a '99 GT and, believe me, the differences are astronomical! After driving them, you will DEFINITELY want the '05. Not that the '04 is a bad car, because it isn't. It's just that the '05 feels (and is) so much better.
  • tayl0rd, I have owned 3 mustangs to date, and let me tell you... the new 05 body style is just a touring car. no longer a sports car. The three mustangs i have owned:
    1) 1996 cobra
    2) 2004 mach1
    3) 2005 GT
    of these cars, these are my thoughts...
    the cobras are faster not to mention handle better than the mach1's, but ONLY if you put serious money into them, im not talking petty cash either, i mean SERIOUS money! i dropped around 15G's on that baby, and it was mean!
    -out of the gate, the mach1 is a VERY well balanced sports car, the only downfall are the stock rims and tires, and a few miscalcuations on fords part with the suspension (all of which can be solved for under 1,500).
    -the new 05 gt is nice... but thats about it... i wouldnt be racing it anytime soon though... out the gate, i have taken it to 130+ for a long enough distance that it has major issues, not to mention ONE VERY FATAL FLAW... something that I cant believe ford overlooked... and that is... with normal sports cars you have weight transfer from front to rear with your initial acceleration, and with that weight transfer you create a downdraft... that holds your car down... so you dont loose control... well... the 05 gt has uplift.... and yes that is super fatal flaw, i dont care how much money you put into the suspension making it tighter, faster, easier to control, you cant fix that flaw.
    ...these are my thoughts...
  • Hi I was Wondering if anybody knows what this problem is or have had it with there new 2005 mustang?, I was driving down the road about a week ago in my mustang gt automatic,and this annoying clunking noise started in in the front of my mustang while pulling in driveways and going over real bumpy bumps in the road, sounds like a clunking noise like the shocks or something like that i haven't had time to go to the dealer yet but am (asap) sounds like the sound has progressed, someone please help if anyone has had this or knows what it is respond to me please thank you and have a happy holiday.
  • if you find out. be sure to let me know...
  • I, too, had owned a `99 GT and as of November 19th I am the proud new owner of an `05 GT. There is absolutely NO comparison in my opinion. The `05 is by far the superior vehicle from the ground up, A - Z, front to back, etc.
  • lol read my post albeeno,
    i compared my previous mach1 and cobra to the new gt ,i didnt own an old gt
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    I think that he was replying to tayl0rd......

BTW - why would one compare a stock '05 GT to a '99 Cobra (w/ $15k worth of mods) and a Mach I (with $1500 worth of suspension mods) and then complain about a perceived handling issue on the stock '05?

"with normal sports cars you have weight transfer from front to rear with your initial acceleration, and with that weight transfer you create a downdraft... that holds your car down... so you dont loose control... well... the 05 gt has uplift...."

:confuse:

I'm also curious to know how weight transfer on initial acceleration causes downdraft? (This sounds like an aerodynamic phenomenon).

Uplift due to weight transfer??? Are you complaining that the rear-end squats too much and the nose comes up when accelerating from a standstill? Or are you trying to describe front-end lift due to high speed (130mph) aero problems? Honestly, I can't picture what you are trying to describe. :confuse:
  • Read your manual!!!!! "Baby" it for 500 miles, anyway
  • Hi I was wondering witch one is louder and better, a H-pipe or an X-pipe? please respond please and let me know someone thank you ;) .
  • Finally got my GT after waiting almost 6 mos. Took it out for the second time, and it leaves me stranded: 130.6 miles on it! Starts but dies after 1-2 seconds. Dealer (not where I bought) runs diagnostics and sez processor is bad. New one has to come from vendor. Anyone know who the vendor is? Johnson Controls? Ford's been great, dealers have been great, but when I find out who made brain ...
  • Does it sound like a thud in the dash? If so, there are a bunch of people I have read that have this, as well as I do too. It has been narrowed down to a plug or something behind the dash that moves when you hit a bump. I didn't have the noise in the summer, but once it started getting cold it got worse. I keep forgetting to take off glove box door to research it further.
  • Neither. What makes it louder is removing cats or putting on high-flow cats. The x will be smoother sounding like NASCAR cars and have a slightly better power curve. The h is more like the old muscle car sound. I personally like the h with long tube headers and no cats. Unfortunately I live in an emissions county so I need cats. I went with shorty headaers and the factory h pipe with Bassani mufflers. It is loud when I get on it, but not as loud as high flow cats or no cats.
  • Does anyone know of Raised White Letter tires that will fit the 2005 GT's stock wheels? I'm dying to put a set on my car. If not, anyone have any suggestions?
  • Zorbas (message 824),

Thanks for the heads-up. Next time I drive my GT Premium to the mall at 130 mph, I'll be sure to put some bricks in the trunk. ;)
This discussion has been closed.