Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• lmmlmm Posts: 70
    it's a regional edition. A few regions of the country offer their own version of the mustang with different badging and stuff.
  • I have a 06 Mustang v6 and its a manual and my fuel cut off kicked in way early too. I got $4.20 in my tank before it cut off. I hear the "thunk" noise in my car when I am breaking or cruising to a stop and I installed a short shifter in my car, I thought it came loose and I was scared to drive it home thinking my transmission rod was going to come off and so I tightened it and lubricated it, then a few weeks later same problem. My mom told me to check my lug nuts and sure enough, they were loose as hell. So my tires almost did fall off when I was driving. my neighbor across the street tightened them, the first one, it spun 3 times before it locked and he had to go around the whole car twice. Plus I still have a think noise.
  • :lemon: :lemon: I also have a 2005 ford mustang and the gas tank has been replaced because it would keep shutting off even though the car was not full yet. After 3 months the problem happened again only the gas started coming out of the bottom of the car as I was putting gas in it! Ford also told me that they can not fix it!!!!! My transmission has gone out 2 times as well, I was driving down the freway and the gear shifter started to spin!! its been replaced 4 times. I hate my car and ford denies its a lemon after its been in the shop for over 28 days in 4 months! I will call the 800#
  • I have suffered for one year with same problem. As of yesterday Ford bought back the 2006 Mustang. It can be done! Go straight to the owner of the dealership
  • harrerharrer Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Mustang - beautiful car that I love... however... the dash board is noisy.. anyone else having this problem? I usually turn the music up loud enough so that I don't hear it - but... wondering if anyone has a quick fix.
  • Just got mine back from the shop for the 4th time. I still have the same rattle, although the dealer said it was gone. Wish I could help.
  • I have a 2006 Mustang that curiously started making a creaking noise on the front passenger side about a month ago. I thought it was something in my glove compartment or the dash. I had it to the dealer last week and went for a test drive with the service manager. It turned out to be the right side trim on the pillar near the windshield. They put felt tape behind the trim and I no longer have the problem.
  • I purchased a 2006 Mustang 4.0 V6 about 2 months ago. The first problem I had was it died after coming to a stop. It did restart but I have also experienced problems with getting gas in the tank when I fill up. This past weekend it died again coasting out into traffic coming off a busy exit. It did restart again but with about 200 miles from home I was a bit nervous about making it back. I have read about problems with fuel tanks and control modules and I'm afraid I made a mistake in purchasing this car. Anybody had similar problems?
  • Thanks for the info. I just printed and faxed to my dealer, who is trying to find the culprit for the second time. Sure hope it helps.
  • harrerharrer Posts: 2
    Thank you for your the resoluton to your noisy dash... I am going to print out your reply and bring it with me to the dealership to have mine fixed as well! Appreciate the input!
  • i had the same problem with the water leak. it would leak into the passenger side and short out my lights. brought it in and they found that there is a missing clip on the windshield that causes the leak.
    There have been some issues with the fuel pump. There is a TSB for it.

It's under warranty, take it in to your dealer.
  • I've been lurking on the forum since I ordered my Mustang in March '06 (got caught in the build out, so got a 2007 for 2006 price, with more options, very sweet deal!), and thought I'd share my first month's worth of experiences with the 2007 model. A small bit of background: I live in Germany, so purchased an American spec. Mustang from Military Car Sales and had it shipped, since we don't intend to stay here forever (thank goodness!).

Firstly, I LOVE this car. I learned to drive on a Mustang back in '82 though I don't remember what model year that one was exactly. It was fun, but the 2007 seriously rocks. My last two rides were Explorers, so the Mustang was quite a change and took some getting used to, but I LOVE everything about this car now. It's fun to drive, responsive, comfortable mostly (I have looong legs, so getting the seat just right where my arms are comfortable, but my knees are not crammed takes some doing and was way easier in the SUV), the Mustang sound is awesome, as is the Shaker 500 system. Gas mileage is as expected, around 20-21, mixed city and highway. The thing is just FAST, too, and it cruises pretty well at 120mph on the autobahn.

Now for the bad news. At 303 miles on the odometer, the check engine light was on. My mechanic reset the computer in the car by disconnecting the battery, and said if it happened again we'd have to replace or reprogram the computer (something about maybe different gas because I'm in Germany with an American spec car?). So of course, it happened again. That time, I had my husband reset the computer, since it was a really bad busy week and I just didn't have time to deal with it right then. No problem since it came on again and I got it to the dealer finally, and they ran a diagnostic, said it might be something in the fuel system, checked it all out (for about 10 minutes), found nothing and sent me on my way with instruction to come back if it happens again. :confuse: I hate this dealer, but it's the only place in town that's "approved" by Ford in Cologne to work on American Fords, but that's another rant altogether.

So after I left the dealer, I stop to put gas in since I'm getting low. Here's where my real worries begin:

Just after I ordered the Mustang, the Stars & Stripes newspaper ran an article about the fuel tank problems that many folks were having with the '05 models. I looked around on the 'Net, and ended up here, and read every thing I could about this and other issues. I can't remember whether I read anything about the '06 models having this issue, but I was glad in the end that I was getting an '07 in any case, figuring that Ford has had all this time to work the bugs out and I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Well, I'm here to tell you, the '07 has the same problems. The pump shut off on me today when the tank was only half full. I've read all the tips and tricks to get the thing to take gas when there is this problem, and I tried a different nozzle position and pumped really, really slow about three hours later on my second trip to the pump this afternoon, and was able to get it to take most of the second half of the tank. I didn't fill it all the way up, since I couldn't really tell if it would really stop when it was supposed to since I was trickling the gas in, and I wasn't up for gas all over my pants and the side of the car for the second time today.

I'll be taking the car back to the dealer next week about both problems, since I'm sure that the engine light thing is not really solved and now I have this new fuel problem. I'll post an update when I have something. Sorry for the length of this, my first post, but I see a lot of folks in here with the same issues, and some folks thinking about the '07 models, and well, I thought a bit of a review might be helpful and in order. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated!
    Some hold the nozzle upside down to get it to fill.

I suppose you can take it to the dealer and make them fill it up for you if they choose not to fix it. :)
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    Although you don't say so explicitly, I assume that the CEL is back on again since you're taking it back in next week.

The computer stores a trouble code when the CEL comes on. The trouble code identifies what the problem is. The problem must then be fixed.

A mechanic who says "it might be something in the fuel system" but found nothing in 10 minutes is not doing a proper job.
  • Well, the CEL is not on again yet, but I expect it to make a reappearance soon just as it has before, since they evidently didn't find any problems when I had it in there. The bigger problem is that this dealer really does suck (this is part of that other rant, here).

When they were looking at the car, the guy in the office came and told me that they did find a loose connector in the fuel system, and reconnected it. However, when my regular mechanic (who works for a Ford dealer who is not "approved" to work on American Fords but has been doing all of my Ford repairs for five years) called the mechanic who worked on my Mustang at the "approved" dealer, he was told that they found nothing, no loose connectors, and fixed nothing. All they did was reset the system. Oh, and it took them 3 hours to even look at my car for that 10 minutes as well, and they left me sitting there wondering what they were doing the whole time. :mad:

I'm forced to take my car to the "approved" dealer regardless of the fact that they are crappy service-wise and technically, because my regular dealer won't get paid for the warranty work that they do since they're not on the approved list. That's just wrong. I realize that American cars sometimes need special tools that German dealers may not have, but surely in a city the size of the one I live in, there's another dealer that can be found and put on the "approved" list. The dealer I usually go to is a small town outfit, and the owner doesn't want to pay Ford for all the fees and special tools that they'd require to be "approved" but there has to be someone else in the area that's big enough. :confuse:
  • I will try the "upside-down" filling when next I refuel.

As to making the dealer fill it up, I'll try that too, but it's interesting that what I'm getting from Military Car Sales on this is that some owners just "live with it." Wrong answer, for me. I'm already considering what I'll do if they don't/can't fix the fueling problem. I'd love to tell them to buy it back, but I don't have a clue what the "lemon law" would translate to here in Germany, and I've no idea what I'd buy instead.

If I was in the States I'd have more choices, and this was the same quandary I was in when I shopped for a car to begin with: I didn't want to go with another brand because I didn't want to hunt up another mechanic that I like (not to mention the German/English language thing), but now with Ford's "approved" list of warranty work dealers, that criterion is blown right out the window. I could shop for another brand of sports car, but I couldn't get the same kind of price for what I got the Mustang for with an Audi or a BMW. And, I definitely don't think I'd love the car as much.
  • rubatyrubaty Posts: 2
    I understand your pain when you try to refuel. I have a 2005 Mustang GT and have had the tank replaced 2 times since I took delivery, once in England and once in Germany.

I am one of the people that were interviewed for the Stars and Stripes article back in May. I can tell you that you will get NO help from Military Car Sales! They will not buy the car back. Owners are not just living with, we have no recourse over here. There are several people here at Ramstein that want to get rid of there car because of the fueling problem but Military Car Sales have said that they can't do anything but change out the tank! I also tried to make the dealer fill it up and don't you know, it was one of the few times that it actually worked without a problem! I have e-mail traffic from various individuals within the Military Car Sales organization and none of them have been any help.

I spoke with a German lawyer and he said that I would probably have to hire an engineer that would be able to prove that the tank was defective. I am currently doing research to find out what it would take to sue Ford and Military Car Sales.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Early build 2005 Mustangs had a problem with premature fuel pump shut off. The tank was redesigned. The condition may be due to the fuel tank vapor venting system inside the fuel tank.

If you are having this problem with 2006 - 2007 Mustangs, Ford claims that it is the pump that is at fault. Ford believes that some pumps deliver fuel at too fast a rate. Ford suggests that you try a different pump. Ford reminds that any modifications or alterations to the vehicle are not covered by warranty and are not recommended.

This info is from the two TSBs that are related to the Fuel fill problem. However, the 2007 is suppose to be fine.

Mark.
  • Yup, read all that about the early build 2005 Mustangs, and the TSBs that are related. Sorry to say, but the 2007 obviously has the problem and that's mostly why I posted here, to get the word out so to speak.

I pumped at two different pumps the day I had the problem, one of which was a pump that I've used successfully prior to having the problem. I don't have a whole lot of options with regard to using a different filling station, mind you, since I can either get my gas at the pumps on the Army post, or I can get it at the Esso station with my gas coupons (or I can't afford to drive it with the prices of gas in Europe!). And the pumps are noticeably slower on the Army post than they are at the Esso, which is why I love to fill at the Esso with my SUV since the tank is big and it takes forever to fill on the Army post. I don't think I'll be getting my gas at the Esso for the Mustang, since the tank will probably choke at the first rush out of the nozzle.

My vehicle is only a month old, and despite the fact that I love reading about everyone else's mods, I don't intend to add anything. I just want to drive it without issues, if you please.
This discussion has been closed.