Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• tmaktmak Posts: 6
    I now have around 6200 Miles and I am stuck on 13.8 MPG +/- .4 MPG. I checked and I have the 3.42 Transmission. Boy I am sooo glad I don't have the other one. I am taking my truck to the dealership this weekend to have the computer checked out and see if there is a malfunction in there.

I Spoke with several Diesel owners of all makes at the pump, since my last post. The ones that own or owned deisels with the particulate filter in the exhaust system tells the same story, BAD fuel mileage.. Some claim that had clogging quite frequently. 3 owners I spoke with went to the other brands that has the DEF system and thier fuel mileage was much better around 16 MPG avg. The other owners that has the particulate filter disonnected thiers (I know it is illegal in most places) and they got MUCH better fuel mileage. One of the owners I spoke with claims they are getting nearly 18 MPG on the highway, The other one had chipped his diesel and did the breather and the exhaust with the monitor on the dash. He claims he is getting 19 MPG.. ???? not sure I can believe that, but that's what he had told me. Bottom line, my conclusion is the amount of additional fuel dollars that we use in our RAMS it is cheaper to have a vehicle that uses DEF fluid every 5K at approximately 30 dollars a fill up, to get better MPG.
  • tkd1988tkd1988 Posts: 1
    The problem with the 6.7 cummins mileage is that it has more emissions equipment than the 5.9. Not only does the extra Cat and DPF create much more restriction in airflow, but the DPF uses what is called active regeneration where the engine goes into "rich mode". In rich mode the engine completely eliminates all oxygen from the exhaust to raise the temperature in the exhaust drastically to burn off the soot trapped in the DPF. While it makes the engine "greener" if hurts gas mileage tremendously. Although Dodge brags about not using Urea injection, it has actually proven to be a great help to fuel economy in the DPF world. An option would be to remove the DPF and go with straight pipes. But this would void any factory warranty and technically make it illegal for street use, and also require a tuner to adjust the engines ECU to keep it from trying to go into regen mode. So basically damned if you do, damned if you don't. But it is an option none the less, and if you don't hammer on it too hard, it wont produce much black smoke, making it harder to detect as a DPF delete.
    edited June 2011
    That is a very good point in your last statement, I have done exactly that the last few days and I noticed a slight increase in my fuel mmileage especially when it is running HOT. I was easy on the fuel pedal more than normal on my previous vehicles and I had noticed an increase decrease in fuel consumption I travel on hilly roade I was averaging about 2 MPG better fuel mileage. (previous MPG AVG 14.6).

I was also thinking and playing around with my start up idle when the vehicle has been siiting overnight. I am experimenting with letting the vehicle IDLE for 10 or minutes before going on the road. I used to let my truck idle for no mor than 5 minutes and that was just not working. However I noticed a slight decrease in fuel consumption when I drove for 10 or 15 minutes, stop for a breakfast sandwhich in the morning and then start up my truck again, my consumption on the digital reader was showing a much higher reading around 16-17 MPG reading oppose to 13-14 reading and the truck felt like it have more power as well. All of my roads here are hilly I live in N.Utah not much flat land around here. Maybe it is my imagination but it does feel different somehow, so that is why I am experimenting on the longer idle theory.
  • onoffroadonoffroad Posts: 17
    After research for mpg and towing,motor,ride,came up with new dodge ram ! Taken lots of trips ! After driving 67 mph,average 20mpg at fill up,read out was 21mpg !Another trip 19 and 18 going 76mph,all trips with a/c on ! This is my tow truck with 5.7 hemi,4 wheel drive,and 3.92 axle ratio !! This is the truck !!! Checked all trucks out, and new more about them than most of the sale people ! Some of the larger 8cy. are getting better mpg than smaller 8cy.!Some axle ratio will give no more towing than small trucks ! Know about the truck before you buy !
  • cobrazeracobrazera Posts: 352
    When that HEMI goes into 4 cylinder mode on the freeway - it will absolutely crank out some good mileage numbers.
    I wonder if hitting the "tow" button disables the MDS? Anyone know for sure?
  • onoffroadonoffroad Posts: 17
    Cobrazera ,It goes into eco 4 cy. at regular driving too ! Took a trip to western NC , 6/16/11,to pick up our new travel trailer ! Got 20 mpg again !! Trailer weights over 7000 lbs unloaded so will weight around 8000 loaded ! Only got 8.5 towing in tow haul & 4th gear but pleased in the towing ! Has a higher tow rating with 17in. tires(which I have) than 20in. tires ! The truck has been a good surprise so far !!!
    Wow - that's abysmal towing MPG! I towed a 10,000lb enclosed car hauler ( actual weight on certified scales ) between MI and FL on three separate occasions with an '01 Tahoe and got about 11MPG.
    My Ram does better in normal driving than the Tahoe did, and has much more power, so I'm really surprised at your towing mileage. I cruised at 65MPH, was your speed faster? Is it a travel trailer or a tall 5th wheel? Do you have the 3.92 gears?
    Thx for the post and enjoy your trailer!
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    2010 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 with 3.92 LSD & 20 inch tires

Just turned 30,000 miles yesterday and been in service since May 2nd, 2010.

To-Date total average is 17.31. Lowest ever recorded was 10.20 mpg towing a Ford tractor on a three axle trailer, total weight approx. 9100 lbs. Daily trip to work is 3.2 miles.

Highest recorded so far is 23.66 mpg on a trip through the hills of central New York State, all on state roads and posted speeds. Five trips to Gettysburg, PA (335 mile trip) yielded 19.71, 20.03, 20.19, 21.5, 14.96. Last trip I pulled a 12 foot Uhaul box trailer, that's why is significantly lower.

June 2011 average 18.21 mpg, May average 20.76, and April was 17.48. May had two road trips. All gas mileage reported is manually computed using distance travelled and actual gallons used. I have found the EVIC to indicate higher and lower gas mileage most of the time, on one occasion as much as 1.4 MPG different than actual. After 91 fill-ups the EVIC has reported lower average gas mileage 38 times, and agreed with the hand calculated figure only eleven times. I have had the odometer checked and it indicates 98.9 miles for 100 miles driven (although the speedometer matches the radar checks perfectly).

After talking to over a dozen Ram 1500 owners, it appears that a little more than half are realizing roughly the same results as mine, but I'm not sure if they monitor this as closely as I do. I've only talked to one other individual that hand calulates the gas mileage as a check of the EVIC.

Because I tow less than 1% of the time and 70-90 percent of my driving is suburban and cross town, the 3.92 axle ratio works very well for me (in 2010, LSD was only available in 3.92). I think those of you with the 3.55 ratio are under more of a penalty if you do a lot of stop-and-go driving. At a steady 55 MPH on flat level ground I can keep the the Hemi in ECO and the EVIC bar above the 22 MPG mark, probably because the slightly elevated RPM at that speed reduces the load factor on the engine. If you spend more time on the four lane and interstates the 3.55 or maybe the 3.23 is a better choice.

To answer someones question, on mine selecting Tow/Haul Mode automatically drops the engine out of ECO.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Thx for the info on the Tow/Haul switch. I bought my 2009 Quad cab 4WD HEMI, with 20" wheels and 3.55 gears last November. It was lightly used with 15K miles. I reset the EVIC at that time and it reads 16.8 MPG now.
    Short trips are an MPG killer as is winter driving, but mix in some cruise time in 4 Cylinder mode and the truck does better than I had expected. Very pleased with the HEMI " economy ".
    From what I can tell, the vast majority of people are relying on the vehicle computer's version of miles per gallon. Maybe that's why some are much lower or much higher. Heck, the Chevy/GMC guys really believe they get 22-25 MPG on their trucks, yet you'll find that the system operayes the same and is prone to the same inconsistencies.

I travel with a fellow towing ATVs, and although he's convince his Silverado gets much better gas milage" than a Ram or F150, I've taken note on how many gallons his takes when we fill up. In each case he's taken more fuel.

Gearing can make a difference, and driving technique definitely plays a major role. You might also be surprised on how much your odometer is off, especially if you've installed new tires. Higher tire air pressures reduce rolling resistance, and increase tire diameter which affects the odometer reading.

Good luck with your new truck.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I figured since you had filled 91 times, compared manual calculations with the computer, and found they compared 11 times, were low 38 times and high 42 times, then the computer reading is pretty good on average....especially an extended average.
    It's also nearly impossible to get the tank " filled " exactly the same every time, so that could be cause for some of the inconsistency.
    I have to admit that I have never checked my odometer, I will do that the next time I'm on the freeway, although my tires and wheels are stock.
    Thanks for the informative post...Richard
    Hi Rich,

Good point on the pump filling. I usually buy my gas at the same station and try to get the same pump and let the fill stop when the pump shuts off. This is the best way I know how to ensure some consistency. For practical reasons I can't always do that, of course.

I was just studying my spread sheet and I think I'm noting a trend. It appears that the computer is closest to a straight calculation when I'm at or near one-half a tank. (My Ram has the 26 gallon tank.)

I don't know about the average, but a lot of people I know take the computer as gospel. I haven't talked or met one person yet who's actually checked that hasn't found the computers to be less than accurate. According to a friend at work his Impala owners manual states a plus or minus of 15% accuracy.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I just acquired a 2001 Dodge Laramie SLT RAM 3500 4x4 5.9L 6 Spd Man. Trans with 61k miles. The truck is very clean and fantastic condition. The only modifications that I can find is a K&N Airfilter in stock airbox, and an after market exhaust brake.

Driving the truck around town the computer is showing about 13.4 - 14.5 average mpg. This weekend I am planning to travel to Houston to see how it does on the open highway.

I am curious on what other folks have done to increase their avg mpg in similar sized trucks. I've heard stories of some guys getting 25 - 30+ mpg in similar year model trucks.

Thanks
    According to Road&Track magazine ( August 2011 ), auto mileage displays compute mileage using the vehicle speed sensor and fuel injector dwell time. To quote: " It's an elegantly simple system requiring no additional hardware and is quite accurate ".
    IMO, if there is a consistent error, in a particular vehicle, in the positive direction, then the manufacturer has fudged some constant in the calculations to appear as if the vehicle is getting better economy than it really is. However, due to the accuracy of the sensing devices used for the calculation, it doesn't make much sense that there could be a large error in the plus and minus direction.
    Well here is my update as of 12 July 2011. My 2011 2500 Cummins now has 9025 miles on it, my fuel mileage has slowly increased to an average of 14.8 MPG. The highest was 15.2 MPG and my lowest was 14.3 MPG. The dealership found nothing wrong with the computer system in my truck. I am not so hard on the accelerator. when I see My fuel AVG consumption drop in my computer display, I take it that the regeneration is working so I will gear down and allow the RPMs to go high (2300+ RPMs) for several miles. after that I will go back to "D". Sometimes I see adifference immediately. My biggest payoff is though is the heat.. I am under the ompression that the Cummins loves the heat. If I let it idle for 5-10 minutes my MPG on the road is good, (high 15s) when I don't I am in in the low 14sor high 13's. this summer I have been letting the truck warm up for around 5 miniutes before driving, it reminds me of my old cars I had in the 70's.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    A reporter wants to talk with people who expected to get better gas mileage in their relatively new vehicle. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 19, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience. Thank you.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    30 mpg is highly unlikely in a 3500. The best tank I ever saw was 24.3 with my 1996 3500 Club Cab 4x4 dually, but that was with the more efficient mechanically-injected 12-valve engine and the automatic which has a notably taller overdrive than the New Venture manual trannies. I also had the cruise control set at 57 mph for that run.

With a 2001 (EFI 24-valve HO, rated at 245/505), and if you have 3.54 axles, you can probably get an honest 22-24 mpg if you keep your right foot in check and keep the speed below 60 mph. A chip may get you a couple more if it's matched just right, and again, you keep the speed down (the Cummins diesel gets its best efficiency around 1600-1700 rpm).

My 2005 3500 with the common-rail fuel system and 2004 emissions settings will get 21 only if I'm really careful... the standard 3.73 axle is part of the problem there.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• I have 2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn RWD Quad Cab with the 5.7 Hemi and the 20 inch wheels. I have not averaged anything better then 12 mpg and that's an honest reading as I input my mileage and gas purchase on GasBuddy.com and keep records every time I fill. This really sucks because the only major difference between this and my 2005 Dodge Ram RWD Thunder Road truck that I traded for this truck is the gear ratio but I don't think it should go from getting 16 to 17 mpg on the average to at best 12 mpg and there is some highway mileage on both to consider so there is no difference there. The new RAM truck had a rating of 13 mpg city to 19 mpg hghwy. I do not understand why such the difference especially since this is a 6 year newer truck and the suspension system is supposed to be much lighter so that could only help. I have taken my new Ram to my dealership and they have run all the system checks and nothing comes up on it. I have even tried babying her and still not getting any difference either. If anyone could help with any suggestions please reply. I have contacted RAM and of course the response I get is basically sorry about my luck but to take it to the dealership to see what they can do... which I have already done and explained that to them. Even one of the service managers at the dealership said he has a 2009 Ram and is getting poor gas mileage as well but seemed to see a slight increase after the break in period but was not anywhere near my 2005 Ram's mileage.... NOT COOL especially when gas prices are as high as they are. There should be a warning of this on these trucks.... RAM do not mislead the customers because I will probably not be buying another Ram in my life if this is the way it's going to be..... so sorry about your luck RAM and I will spread the news!!!
    edited August 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the mileage on your Ram. I have basically the same truck, but mine is an '09 4WD.
    Now that summer is here, I'm getting 16.5 to 17MPG in all around driving, and that's not BS. My driving is suburban/country and small town with very little city and very little freeway driving. I normally drive at the limit or 5 over and keep any freeway driving to less than 75MPH. I am very careful with the throttle, driving to maximize the " Fuel Saver " light staying lit, and coast up to stop signs and lights that are red. Coasting is a huge contributor to mileage - it helps recover the extra fuel used when accelerating. I also mix 87 and 93 octane gas to get 90 octane for the same price as 89. IMO, using the recommended 89+ octane will return a bit better mileage.
    I also shut the engine off if waiting awhile at a takeout window, etc. - unless the air needs to be running, of course.
    These things may require a change in driving habits and can be a pain in the rear at times, but are effective at saving money at the pump.
    I love my Ram, and I know it will return decent mileage with a little effort.
  • I purchased a 2011 2500 megacab laramie 4x2 3.73 rear-end high output approx; two months ago. MPG has been absymal. So far 2,600 miles, actual avg with gallons purchased 11.2. I would say 80% city 20% hwy. I've been very easy on the accelerator and not towing anything or carrying much weight. The truck seems to perform great and love everything about it but the mpg makes me sick. Apparently high output means low mpg.