Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• jtrjtr Posts: 1
    The 50 bucks limit is most likely a limit placed on your credit card and not the gas pump. It is there to protect you if your card is stolen. I have encountered this too many times.
    I am going to have a discussion with my credit card co. before I take my next long trip.
    jtr
  • drtrvlrdrtrvlr Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 4x4 . I normally get 10 combine city highway, 9.5 towing a 3 ton 3 horse trailer. I put my 1600 lb Camper on with or with the trailer and get 7. Wish I had a diesel

If you ever here of anything that works in the MPG dept let me know
  • dano4dano4 Posts: 35
    I have a 2003 RAM 1500 Quad Cab HEMI with 16,000 miles. Mileage can be as high as 17-18 at 60-65 mph. Mileage drops to 14-15 mpg at 75-80 mph. Overall mileage with city/highway is 12-13 mpg.
    Worst mileage was towing a boat & trailer with a combined weight of over 6,000 pounds. Mileage was 7.5 and it felt like I was tied to a rock, even with the HEMI.
    Mileage is not great, but not much worse than the Chevrolet I owned. Truck quality is much better and a lot more fun to drive! This truck is a long-term keeper.
  • ky bobky bob Posts: 2
    Thought I'd ask here and get some real answers. I am looking to buy a Ram 1500 but can not make up my mind for the 4.7 or Hemi. Is there that much difference between the two as far as gas mileage? I will not be towing anything. I am really leaning toward the Hemi at this moment. I have driven both and currently own a Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 Vortec which I average 16 mpg with a heavy foot.
    Most of my driving is 75% hwy.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    You can expect the EPA ratings for gas mileage when driven carefully. If you have an aggressive driving style, both will suffer, but I think the Hemi will suffer more.

Most of the people I know or have talked to are getting slightly better gas mileage with the 4.7, especially city-type driving. On the highway with cruise control used there might not be much difference between the Hemi and the 4.7.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • mgrammgram Posts: 4
    Do yourself a favor and get the hemi.
    It is SO much more fun to drive and the mileage isn't that bad. I usually get 14 or 15 around town and 18 or 19 on the freeway. (rwd, 3.92 gears)
    Plus the 5 speed auto that is mated to the hemi is the best Chrysler transmission I have ever driven.
  • I just purchased the New Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi, I love the truck but was thinking of geting a programmer or chip for it. I want to let it run a little more free and also eek out a little more milage (don't we all). I keep my foot out of it as best I can but still only get 14 mpg average. Does anyone have any experiences with programmers, I have heard bad things about the jet products but who know what is true.

Thank you for your responses in advance
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    I use Hypertech's in all my rides. They have proven reliablilty unlike the Jet products. Hypertech's easy-to-dial-in programming is amazing.
    I use Hypertech's in all my rides. They have proven reliablilty unlike the Jet products. Hypertech's easy-to-dial-in programming is amazing.

P.S.-- I got an increase to 16.8 mpg on my '05 Hemi with the Daytona Pkg. when I upgraded my standard airbox to a K+N FIPK. It also helped with the throttle response of my truck(which was already great)
  • I have 2004 Dodge 3500 2wd cummins HO with a 3.73. I find the best I've registered on the avg econ Gauge is 20.2 on secondary roads under 65 MPH. On open road keeping up with traffic 70-75MPH it falls off to 19.4. If I let it roll back and forth to work mixed freeway and stop start. It averages out to 17.9. If I trounce on it on rain slick roads maybe 14.9.MPG. I find the best bet is to ease into Overdrive and then drop to 1400 to1750 RPM for best mileage

I have not changed the air filter or intake and I keep 50 PSI in the front ant 70PSI in the rear tires. I have not seen K& N filter for this truck. Is it an Air Box replacement kit for this.
    Not only does K&N have one for the Cummins, but Airaid and Bullydog to.
  • Yes, I took to the forum link pages and saw the Airaid,Votrex, and K&N Filter-charger kits...Also saw chipsets and down-loaders. I am thinking try a Cleanable high volume filter for the stock air box. First econ will be anticipated cleaning vs. paper throw away elements. Has anyone seen dyno results for air intake mods on 2004 HO Cummins?
  • Just purchased a 2004 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi with 20” rims and love it. I am coming from a Honda Accord V-6 coupe with 6 speed so the MPG is much different, no biggie it is a truck. I remember reading a post somewhere that you have to multiply 1.? For the true MPG, something about the 20" rims. Anyone know where that was? I think it was in the Edmunds form but I can not find it now. Thanks for the help.
  • I just bought a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi quad cab and I drive an equal amount between city and highway. I average 15 mpg in the city and 17 mpg on the highway. I had an 01 Dodge with a 318 v8 and I get a little better mpg with the Hemi. Everyone said I would get 13 mpg average but that is only if I keep A hevy foot and drive way to fast! I also have a camper and a horse trailer I sometimes pull. When pulling, I get around 14 mpg pulling in the hills. So, thats not bad at all for 345 hp and that size of truck. and it has more power than I expected.
  • First let me start by saying that I am not a mechanic, I do not pretend to know how these things work. That being said I saw on “TRUCKS!” this weekend a segment where they took a V-8 4x4 Dodge Ram single cab with manual transmission and replaced all of the fluids with some “purple” stuff. From the engine to the transmission to the gearbox, the test was to see if replacing all of the fluids would be better on gas mileage. They placed the truck on a 4x4 dyno and ran it with the regular fluids, then replaced them. The temperature was cooler by almost 10 degrees on all of the major parts. If I can remember it right, remember not a mechanic, they said that the engine produced almost 24 foot pounds more torque with the new fluids. This would mean the engine works less to move all of the internal parts, causing the engine to work less would result in better gas mileage, according to the host. The only mods to the truck was a cold air intake and a new exhaust system. I guess the question would be how much all of the mods and new fluids would cost compared to just buying the gas outright in the long run.
  • Anybody have real world MPG numbers on the 2006 new HEMI?
  • ;) I HAVE 2002 RAM 4 DOOR 4 BY 4 WITH 4.7 & 3.92 GEARS. I GET 10 TO 14 MPG IN TOWN & GET 16 MPG ON HIGHWAY. THE BEST I EVERY GOT WAS 19.8 MPG ON A TRIP. 4.7 HAS A LOT OF POWER FOR THT SIZE MOTOR.
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    Gotta be a HEMI if it's a quad Cab and/0r 4x4. I'd take a 4.7 in a regular cab shortbed, that's about it. I drove a Quad/Cab 4x4 4.7 and it felt like a Dog. The Hemi makes it a different truck in comparison. YOu don't ask if the 4.7's accelaration is adequate, you asked how much worse the HEmi's fuel economy is likey to be. That means you would like the strongest motor you can get away with without going bankrupt at the pump. This indicateds you like accelaration. Get that thang with a Hemi in it.
  • NO HEMI IN 2002. WAS NOT OUT YET. THAT IS WHY I WENT WITH LOWER GEARS. IT GETS OFF THE LINE PRETTY GOOD. K & N AIR FILTERS. TRUE DUEL EX. & POWER PROGRAMER.
    There's a guy around here with a 2003 RAM Quad and a 4.7 with a supercharger. That truck is reported to be faster than the same setup with a Hemi.

Dusty
  • I have a 03 hemi with a STS 70mm turbo with a water to air intercooler. The truck has a 6 inch lift with 35.5 x 12.5 Toyo tires with 20x10 American Racing Mojave wheels. On 5lbs. of boost the truck will rip any of these trucks including the diesels appart. On 10 +lbs. WATCH OUT- You now have a tire frier. The truck puts out 440hp and 560lb/ft to the tires. Keep in mind this is a heavy 2500. The truck still gets 11-13 mpg. Not bad. Thats my story. Now for the 4.7 vs the hemi. There is no way the 4.7 is faster unless it is a substantially lighter truck or the hemi must have some serious computer or fuel air issues. Either way if these guys want more power with the better fuel economy then go with the turbo. I am also selling my truck in order to get back into the street and track racing scene. I am a horsepower junky as you can tell. I am interested in hearing back about the 4.7 and the hemi.
  • tcoletcole Posts: 2
    ok you truck nerds whats the best puller for heavy hauling say 10 to 20 thyousand pounds. stick or auto? diesel or gas? best mileage? thanks
  • YOU GET BETTER MPG OUT OF DIESEL WHEN PULLING. FORD SEEMS TO DO BETTER STICK. DODGE & CHEVY DO BETTER AUTO.AS FOR PULLING POWER I THINK IT WOULD BE STICK PULLING 10K TO 20K POUNDS. MOST OF US WILL NEVER TOW OVER 7K POUNDS. AUTO. IS GOOD FOR THAT. :D
  • For serious towing, diesel is best. Gas engines will drop in fuel economy way too fast. If you were to be sold on the gas for some reason, the 6.8 liter Ford V10 does pretty well. All three major competitors put in a pretty good diesel and they are made by an outside source. None of the big three make thier own. Auto or manual is a matter of preference and skill. A marginally skilled driver with a serious load will fry a clutch. An auto is easier - just push the go pedal. If you are genuinely good with a stick, it will be lower in maintainence costs. But don't kid yourself about you ability or you will lose out on the same maintainence cost. Ford powerstroke with an automatic is by far the biggest seller. In the diesel market my favorite would be the Dodge Cummins with the manual.
  • Ford. Dodge. Chevy. Toyota. Nissan. What is the best truck? :shades:
  • Are you asking which truck is the best pickup? That would considerably off topic. Or are you asking which gets the best mileage?
  • Take Ford. Dodge. Chevy. Toyota. Nissan. All with V8. Witch one gets best gas mileage?
    If I had to go on first hand reports I'd say the Titan is by far the worst, but in reality the closest scientific answer is the EPA ratings. Most all of the trucks are very, very close in EPA. But fuel consumption is far more dependent on the driver and conditions.

Just today a friend of mine reorted that his first two tanks on his newly acquired '05 Hemi RAM gave him 18 and 18.5 MPG. Others can't seem to get a Hemi RAM past 15. In the vast majority of the cases it's the driver who has the greatest impact.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I just bought a 06' Dodge with a 5.7 Hemi. Any hopes that the gas mileage will rise from a 12.5 avg.? Would I be dreaming if told myself; "The engine is breaking in and mileage should get better." ....around 15mpg? :confuse:
    A fresh motor, especially Chrysler V8s, will not be broken in for a number of miles and fuel consumption will decrease as the combustion efficiency increases from better cylinder sealing. Drive line components, too, will benefit from break in.

It took my 4.7 Dakota about 25K to be fully broken in. I'm not sure about the 5.7 motors, but I think they break in a little sooner.

Most Hemi buyers like the rush of the power, especially when they are new. You will see gas mileage improve significantly from more sedate driving techniques. In addition, winter time is going to contribute to poorer gas mileage. So give it a chance.

Good luck with the new Hemi.

Best regards,
    Dusty