Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I've talked to a number of Hemi RAM owners (including three I know personnally), and none have reported fuel consumption that low. I had a company 4x4 RAM with the 5.7 for over a week and I averaged 16.6 around town. And that one had a plow frame on it.

Dusty
  • morganvmorganv Posts: 49
    Hi dustyk! long time been busy with other things around the farm and with kids. we have 3 rams with the hemi and the one 1500 i drive gets around 16 or so around town. On the highway it has gotten better than 18 and I think once we hit 20. the others are heavy duty models and they typically get around 12 or 13 but that's a lot of back and forth between lots and carrying stuff. When were towing a trailer and horses the big Ram gets around 10 to 11.

morgan
  • I have an '06 QC 4x4 (Big Horn) MDS Hemi 1500 with the 20" wheels and 3.92s. I get a consistent 14MPG around town. On the interstate with the cruise set @ 75 I average about 17.5 depending on the weather/wind. With the cruise set @ 55-60 however I see an easy 18.5MPG+. These numbers include the occassional heavy right foot. On a side note, I also have 2 waverunners totaling ~1600lbs on the trailer that i just towed yesterday. The trip was a little over 100mi and I averaged between 60-70mph (never set the cruise) and averaged 15.4MPG there and 14.7MPG back. The truck rarely kicked down out of overdrive (which gives a clue as to the type of highway I was driving on) and it was 102F outside. Hope this helps. Chances are if you're looking for something with excellent mileage you won't buy a truck anyway. :)
  • I have an '02 1500 quad cab, 4.7 V8. Gets about 11 around town, about 16 on the highway. Am thinking about getting a Superchip or other type of chip. Has anyone had experience with these? Can/Do they improve gas milage?

Lee
  • ctassectasse Posts: 1
    What is the expected gas mileage dry and Towing ~8000 LBS
  • I can not speak for the Cummins engine and Gas Mileage, however I just had the 1500 Mega Cab with 5.7 Hemi and MDS - the dealer swore to me that I would see 15mpg in city and 20 on freeway.. I averaged 11 in town, and 18 on freeway - this was dry - did not haul anything - returned the truck after two days - as I can afford the truck - but not the 300+ per month in fuel.
    Keep in mind that you were driving a fresh engine that wasn't broken in. Dodge motors are notorious for slow break-ins.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I have a '01 3500 Cummins with 3.55 rear end and have been told that by intalling the Juice and Attitude by Edge that my power would increase and I should see increases in MPG. As this is a $900.00 investment, anyone have experience with these products??? Mine is NOT the HO diesel as it is an auto.
  • What kind of MPG can I expect out of a 2006 2500 CTD QC auto 4x4?
    I have heard milage increases significantly after 10K, any truth to this?
    Should I wait on a chip until after 10K breakin?

Will 2wd offer significantly better MPG?

THX
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Depends on your axle ratio as well... the 3.73 will do much better than the 4.10 unless you significantly upsize your tires.

The engine does improve over time, provided you work it. After the rest of the driveline gets its bearings (500-1000 miles), you need to load up the engine and really heat it up. The usual recommendation is to get a small trailer with at least 1000 pounds of cargo on it and do some hill/mountain work.

A 2wd will definitely get better mileage, thanks to a large weight savings and better aero (less frontal area).

kcram - Pickups Host
  • 4wd is 300 lbs heavier... and taller (which i really dig)

mine will have 3.73 gears (standard), tires will most likely be stock for awhile.

I live on the gulf coast no hills or mountians....or anything to tow for that matter so I dont know what to do there.

How long should I wait for a chip?
    If you have no hills or trailers, throw about 1500 pounds of something in the bed and do some serious interstate highway running.

You probably don't want to use chips until the first oil change, just to make sure all is well with the engine.
  • on the highway @ 70-75 mph i consistently get 20-22 mpg with the AC running. (not towing or hauling) mixed city driving is usually 15-17 (3.73 gears, automatic trans, all stock (not for long though!!!))
  • Generally speaking, what is the mpg difference between the 4:10 and the 3:73. I currently have a 2006 4x4 cummings with a 4 speed auto and it turns around 2000 rpm at 70 mph. New engine not broken in yet. I am considering getting a 2006 4x4 Cummings with a 6 speed manual and 4:10 gears. What affect will that have on mpg? Also how much bigger do the tires have to be to make a difference. If I have the standard 265-70r 17 on there now and switch to 285s is that a big enough change? Thanks for the info.
    I'll save you a little trouble right away... you can't get the Cummins, 6-speed manual, and 4.10 gears. The 6-speed manual's ratios are lower, so the 4.10 was only made available with the automatic; otherwise you'd get terrible fuel economy.

The overdrive gear with the 4-speed automatic is 0.69, it's 0.79 with the manual. As far as larger tires, they will reduce your rpm pretty much by the same percentage factor as the increase in tire size.

For best economy with the Cummins, you want to be just above the torque peak - around 1700-1800 rpm.
  • Thank you for that information. Like I said before I have driven the Cummins with the automatic and turned around 2000 rpm at 70 mph, but with the 6 speed I only got to around 62-63 at 2000 rpm. I got 14 mpg around town and 17 on the hwy at 70-75mph with the auto so I was wondering what the net effect of the 6 speed manual with the lower gear ratios would be. I have heard in general terms that manual trannies get better mpg than automatics and found that to be true with my Tacoma I had. But wondered what would be the net of the manual vs. the auto would be. I know one thing, 1rst gear is one low gear! Thanks again for your help.
  • I have an 06 quad cab 1500 with the 5.7L. I can tell because the fuel mileage starts to spike. A 4 hour trip home over hilly terrain which I make often (i'm in college) averaging 70 returns 20.8mpg.

The vehicle has 9k miles on it. I'd also recommend using premium, whereas 89 is required.

Keeping a very steady speed seems to do the trick.
  • I currently own a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. It's a great pickup I love it. Today I was hauling about 500 lbs in the bed and the truck had me and my father in it. We averaged 20.6 MPG. I was very impressed, I went from my house to our business which is about 80 miles away from my house and the needle on the fuel meter did'nt even move. This truck rocks.
    Here are my best and worst gas readings.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

Best Gas Mileage: 21.5 MPG
    Worst gas Mileage: 7.9 MPG
    Average Gas Mileage: 17.5 MPG

What more could you want! 345 hp/375 lbs ft torque average of 17.5 MPG. ;)
  • can anyone explain why i am going through heater cores .60,000 miles and in the shop now getting 3rd. other than that its the best truck i got yet. thanks for any help.
    You should post in the Dodge Ram: AC/Heat Problems discussion - you probably won't get much help here in the MPG discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • I Love This Truck!!
    It is very nimble in traffic and has tons of power. I was getting 15-16 mpg in a small town stop and go. I change my oil at 2400 and went on a 400 mile trip avg speed 70 mph with an avg mpg of 18. I pulled a Tacoma 4X4 on a tandem trailer for 75 miles and avg. 16 mpg. This past week I went on a trip of 580 miles all on the interstate avg speed 75-80 mph, (I set my cruise at 75-78) and left it alone as much as possible. I had 3200 miles on the truck and I filled the tank until I could see the fuel about 2" from the edge of the fill nozzle. I averaged 20.8 mpg. I couldn't believe it.

I have been very happy so far. I plan to continue my "break in period" and then I have been considering a programmer, AFE air filter and +/- dual exhaust. Any thoughts out there?
  • zeniffzeniff Posts: 7
    Doesn't all this worry about gas mileage and owning a Dodge Ram seem like an oxymoron? If you wanted optimal gas mileage, you should have purchased a truck from a company that cared a little about those things -- gas mileage, pollution, etc. Check out these articles on Daimler Chrysler's thoughts along these lines:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119166

http://www.inform.kz/showarticle.php?lang=eng&id=147616

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6247371.stm?ls
  • i am looking into the 2500 like a 03-05 with the hemi, 4 door and 4 wheel drive i would like to know the mpg on this truck only. THanks
    ...Dodge Ram MPG-Real World Values discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • hey numb nuts:

I get ~10mpg with my new '07 and smile every time I fill this fine machine. Please, go jump off of a melting ice berg will ya?
    Not necessary. You can disagree without the name calling.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • jjn3jjn3 Posts: 2
    I have an '06 2500 Cummins 4wd with the 6 speed manual transmission. This is the third new truck with the Cummins I have had since my first '01 model. My '01 and '03 models were automatics and got great mileage on the highway while not towing. I am not happy with the rpm's my '06 turns at highway speeds. I generally drive 75 to 80 when not towing and this thing is turning upwards of 2400 rpm. It does best around 1900 rpm but that means I have to drive at 65 mph. I don't mind doing that when I am towing but it is a pain when empty. Does anyone know of a solution to this besides changing ring gears? If I do change the ring gears, what all is involved?
    Looking through your past posts the anti-Chrysler bias is clearly evident. Besides the cooments on the Smart Car, I could not help but notice that in the one article it was stated that, "Niether Ford's chief economist Ellen Hughes-Cromwick, nor, General Motors' chief economist Moustafa Mohatarem....questioned [Jolissaint's] assertions." Yet your criticism was leveled only at Chrysler.

Mr. Jolissaint's comments aside, it is a fact that the issue of global warming as well as the cause has not reached a consensus across the scientific community. And for good reason. The global warming alarmists have based their predictions on a modeling that has too many inconclusive or incorrect assumptions. In my opinion, global warming alarmism has reached the pious stature of a religion.

Since Chrysler, like any other automobile manufacturer, must play in the field of the free market system, as a company it cannot ignore the market forces that affect sales. All companies have had to respond to the pressure of increased economy. The fact that Chrysler makes a Mega Cab is not a neceesary indicator that they have no respect for the earth, as you submit.

It is also curious to note that the Mega Cab consumes no more fuel than 3/4 or 1 ton light duty pickup. In reality the Mega Cab brings more room to a light duty pickup configuration than any 3/4 or 1 ton version from Ford or GM, which I might add, will outsell the Mega Cab hundreds of times over, yet get gas mileage in the same range. Like many of those that hate the SUV, this leaves me with the impression that maybe what offends you so much with the Mega Cab is based on class envy more than any supposed concern about the earth.

Dusty
  • Lets start with saying i pick up my 2500 hemi 4x4 slt 4.10 on thursday with 200 miles on it. I was told that the 2006 hemi had the (mds) system in it to get better fuel mpg. Well just found out that the 2500 doesnt come with this option. Any of you guys help me out on giving me any idea what kind of mpg i will get without any type of load on it? nobody seems to be able to give me a reasonable figure. Thanks for your time

dave P.s any mega owners be able to tell me first hand?
    The problem is the gearing on the new 6-speed manual (G56). Overdrive is a rather short 0.79:1 - by comparison, the 48RE automatic is 0.69:1. There's no factory changes you can make to improve your mpg - the rumor mill said AAM was working on a 3.42 diff for Dodge, but so far, no dice.

kcram - Pickups Host