Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What vehicle(s) did you trade (or sell) for your hybrid or diesel?

2»

Comments

• joebeattjoebeatt Posts: 50
    Subaru Legacy 2.5 wagon (1997). Average fuel consumption of 28 mpg. I liked it a lot because of it's reliability.

I also own a Volvo XC/70. I get 21 mpg, with my style of driving.

So far my Prius has given me 49 mpg, but I only have driven 700 miles with it and at the moment it's still on winter tires.
  • karkuskarkus Posts: 11
    My old Integra hatchback was a reliable, sporty car that got over 30 MPG (but only because I coasted in neutral in the mountains a lot), and we sold it to get a Prius last year.

Prius has averaged 48 MPG over 24000 miles (yes, I keep a detailed log). In the summer getting 50 MPG is easy, but the cold weather and reduced energy content "winter gasoline" makes it go down to ~46 MPG in the winter. By the way, I observed the same trend in the Integra - it happens to all cars.

Despite the fact that I really liked my Integra, I have NO regrets about selling it. The PRIUS rocks! I used to be a firm believer in stick-shift cars (and I still don't like automatics) but the Prius variable transmission is so SMOOTH and easy to drive that I don't miss the stick at all.

We also have an 1994 Nissan Pickup (22MPG) , but the yearly miles we put on it dropped from ~10000 to 1000 last year, so that's a huge gas savings.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,059
    I never trade in a vehicle, that is the best way to lose money on a car. I really like my new Passat Wagon TDI. The Suburban does not get much road time since we got the Passat. I want to make sure that the VW TDI is what I want, then I will sell the Suburban to my neighbor. I will probably buy a 10 year old beater PU to pull my utility trailer and haul the big stuff. The TDI in the Passat has so much torque (247 ft. lbs.) that the hills around here are not even a challenge. My wife never drove anything but the Lexus. Now she takes the Passat. The handling reminds her of the 928 & 911 Porsche's she had for a while. Very smooth power. I have not gone over 3500 RPM's, just not needed. Cruises at 80 MPH with the tach sitting at 2400 RPM. If you want a soft squishy ride like a Camry or Accord don't get the 17" wheels and Michelins.
  • Having an R.V. I needed a vehicle that I could pull behind for secondary transportation. Finding an R.V. friendly car led to 3 different tow-friendly 4WD Suzuki's over the last 3 yrs. Since the settling down period of buying a new house and awareness of fuel costs on the rise, we decided to investigate the Prius and found it to be everything the critics said of the hybrid. Now with close to 20K miles I am convinced that not only did we buy a car for our needs but a car for THESE TIMES. By the way...the 4 cly. Suzukis got 25 mpg's while our Prius has been consistant in the upper 40's to lower 50's. Winters drop to low 40's due to severe weather conditions.
    Railroadjames(happy hybrid :) )
  • z28_sedanz28_sedan Posts: 18
    ...You end up paying a huge "convenience charge" (several thousand $$$ in most cases) by trading in instead of selling. I bought my Jetta TDI with no trade-in and am trying to decide if I want to sell my '96 Caprice or just keep both of them.
    Having an R.V. I needed a vehicle that I could pull behind for secondary transportation.

Have you towed the Prius yet? If so did you use a tow bar or one of those little trailers that the front wheels ride in?
  • flj168flj168 Posts: 12
    Last year I donated my 1986 Volvo 240 wagon to Goodwill after I purchased a used 7k mile 2003 Prius for $17,388 plus tax and license. A few months later the car was worth $3k more than what I had paid for! I even received a letter for Toyota of Santa Monica to purchase the car at a top price,,, sight unseen.

I certain won't miss the noisy brakes and mufflers on our 1986 Volvo. Also, goodbye high repair and parts prices!
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    You overpaid for a 2003 Prius. If you thought Volvo parts prices were high, wait until you see Prius prices. You should have bought an 04 or later Prius with an extended warranty. That's the only way I am going to buy mine.
  • Ah! Yes! Towing the Prius, you ask! Well, The manual and dealer seem to be in agreement that it be towed only by a dealer..... unless you have an emergancy. Well, I see it this way. According to the general concensus, I see no reason why it could not be tow'd frount wheels up. I think, in time, there will be options for RVers to transport the hybrid. If not, I'll get creative. We'll see.
    Culliganman( Prius to the resque)
    RVers to transport the hybrid

Will the rear wheels turning cause regenerative charging of the batteries. And can that be reason they should not be towed? Or are the rear wheels used for regenerative braking/charging?
  • tomslycktomslyck Posts: 70
    2002 GMC Envoy.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    Great choice... What type of mileage was your Envoy getting. My friend gets 13-16 on average in suburban driving.
  • This is where it gets a bit complicated. The regenerative factor you speak of would only apply to a "running" vehicle. I'm always surprised when auto manufacturers neglect the RV world that is thirsty for a tow'd car that fits their needs. Suzuki has been very in tuned w/ these buyers. Honda likewise. I've even investigated the under-carrage of my 04' Prius looking at the possibilities of a hitch for light towing (like a motorcycle or a jet-ski). That's not looking too good but not out of the question.
    Railroadjames(hybrids CAN-DO)
  • jpricejprice Posts: 58
    are the rear wheels used for regenerative braking/charging?

Only the front wheels are connected to the power train - the rear wheels are only along for the ride (although they do take part in mechanical braking).

On this Forum's topic - my Prius replaced a '90 Corolla GTS with 140,000 miles on it. It had been my wife's car, and I had driven it since she passed in 1999. It was getting 28 MPG (when new, it got 32+ MPG). She had *WON* the car in one of those mall raffles (where you slide an entry form into the window of a demo car on display), and it was her pride and joy; indeed it was a very nice car. But little things were beginning to go wrong - the cable from the little lever under the driver''s seat to the deck latch was broken, for example (a repair with an expense out of proportion to its worth) - and it was developing a lot of rattles. Besides, the headroom was almost nil for me. I donated it to the Boy Scouts. Couldn't be happier with my Prius, which I picked up the day after Thanksgiving in 2004 ater a seven month wait (the GTS was running acceptably, so I wasn't in a desperate rush).

jprice SoCal '05 Silver, #1, 5200 miles, [non-permissible content removed]. mileage 46.5MPG
  • flj168flj168 Posts: 12
    At the time I purchased my used 2003 Prius, there were no used 2004s available, the new ones had a 4+ month wait. The 2003 Prius was certified and came with five additional years extended warranty along with four remaining free Toyota service. Starting model 2004 on, Toyota dropped the first five free services. I figure this is worth at least $800+?
2»
This discussion has been closed.