Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Hi Bob: Thanks for the update on the tire pressure. I will stay at 35PSI. I think I am going to check out the body side moldings, pin stripes and door edge guards at my dealer, since I am concerned about door dings and rock chips. It is funny my salesman never mentioned those last 2 options, but he did mention the body side moldings. I did get the Toyota extended warranty for 5 years and 120,000 km, which includes roadside assistance. It was available through my dealer and not too much more, about $500. Too bad about the Navi, but everything can't be perfect, right? I also checked out the Infiniti G35 and the Lexus ES350, but did not like either car. There are many used Infinitis for sale in my area, which usually means something is up with the car. On the flip side, there are hardly ever any used Avalons for sale in this area. I think we made a good choice. I also fished in the Lac La Ronge area many years ago and had a blast. In 2005 I fished for salmon and halibut at a floating fishing lodge in the north end of the Queen Charlotte Islands, off the west coast and caught my limit. Cheers, Roger.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    "So far, I have not noticed significant differences between the two cars, except for the engine, which is more powerful but also quieter in the '07 version"

Definately more powerful, but I swear that the 3.0 in my '03 was quieter than the 3.5 in my '06.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    Roger---my body side moldings were $150 and door edge guards $65. My son, 40 years old loves the Infinit G35---said that's what he's going for when he trades-in his Maxima. You'll have to get over to Lac La Ronge again--great walleyes and lake trout! I use my Nav sparingly and I told my dealer it $2,900 and the Remote Start, $499 we a TOTAl waste of $$$ I LOVE the Laser Cruise---it works PERFECTLY!! I keep my tires at 35 PSI and I checkk them every 2 weeks. Also have Michelins on wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd and same PSI in them. I wish the front end had more protection--too many "little" rock chips on a car with only 7,800 miles and not a year old until the 26th of this month. All the best and I'll watch for you the Forum! I'm retired Air Force and Air Force Civil Service--spent 13 years in England spread over 1969-1973. 1988-1993 and 1999-2002--loved it! Cheers!!
    Bob
    Bob
  • Hi tjc78: What I remember of the 2000 Avalon XLS engine was that it was super quiet in the lower RPMs, but howled when I punched it to merge on to a freeway, say above 5500 RPMs. It could be the higher HP and torque in the new 3.5 engine means the power is available at lower RPMs, so less noise.
    Roger
  • Bob: Thanks for the prices on the moldings and guards. To protect against rock chips, take a look at the paint protection film made by 3M. It is very popular for new cars in Canada. Here is the link to view the product: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer- /
    I have it on my new Avalon, had it on my Ridgeline and my son has in on his 2006 Corolla. It really cuts down on rock chips, especially if the highway maintenance crews use small gravel for icy roads. It is clear and they can install in on the front bumper, front fenders, front of hood, rocker panels and side mirrors.
    I work in the oil and gas industry in Canada and USA, with a focus on shallow gas and coalbed methane (I have worked on CBM projects in WY, MT, UT, ND, CO, KS, KY and OK).
    Roger
    Thanks Roger--appreciate the info and I'll check into the website! I had the dealer do my body side moldings and door edge guards--tht way if something is wrong-they fix it! I think they're doing a bunch of that kind of work in NE Wyoming around Gillette. I go to my buddy's place in Gt Falls, MT and then we leave from there for Canada. Keep in touch and all the best!
    Bob
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I can agree with that, you have to rev the 3.5 a lot less than the 3.0. However, it still has a ton of power over 3500 RPM.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Roger--got 2 quotes to install the #M Coating----one for $575 and one for $550. Getting it done in 2 weeks! Thanks again for the info!
    Bob
    Roger--got 2 quotes to install the 3M Coating----one for $575 and one for $550. Getting it done in 2 weeks! Thanks again for the info!
    Bob
  • Bob: No problem, glad to help. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. I only wish this product was out there sooner for my previous vehicles, as it really keeps the front edge of the hood, front bumper and side mirrors free of rock chips. It is a lot cheaper than a paint job every 3 - 4 years. Cheers, Roger
  • tjc78: I wound it up on the freeway today, while keeping it in fourth gear, and it only started to howl at 6500 rpms. What a great engine. I assume it is the same engine (or close to) the one in Lexus ES350, RX350 and IS350.
  • krekre Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Avalon that is getting water in the trunk. I took it to the body shop and they were able to eliminate some of the problem by removing the rear bumper cover and sealing the bolts that attach the bumper assembly. But there is still an annoying small abount of dripping going on that I cant figure where it is getting in. I am beginning to think it is getting in via the rear window seal and somehow working its way along the top of the trunk cavity or trunk lid and then drips into the left side of the trunk and down into the the cavity at the leftmost of the trunk. I've removed all the floor coverings so they dont get wet but I need to solve this, any ideas will be helpful.
    Roger--I know you're an "oil man"--but--I think the oil companies, car manufacturers, parts stores and body shops are all owned by the same people!! Just like jewelers own all the watch battery manufacturers!! The 3M product should save a bunch of $$$$ on front end painting! Get the body side moldings--you'll be glad you did----same with door edge guards!! because no matter how far away you park in big parking lot--"Ole Murphy" will park right next to you!!
    Bob
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    A post was moved to a discussion where it is better placed. Here's the link: ogunba, "Toyota Avalon - Engine Questions (Check Engine Light, etc.)" #248, 29 Mar 2007 12:37 am.
  • Has anyone installed a roof rack on a 2006 Avalon. We want to take a long road trip and need more space than the trunk provides. Any thoughts on a roof rack and luggage holder?
  • I don't know if you still have your 97 Avalon with the leaky trunk, if you do this will help. I had the same problem with a 96 Avalon with water leaking in on the left side. I removed all the cardboard from the interior of the trunk, got in the trunk with a flashlight and had a helper hose down the rear of the car. It took a few minutes, but water started leaking near the left front corner of the trunk. I lifted the trunk seal off of the ridge in the area where the leak was coming from. There was a problem with the way Toyota welded the panels together in that area. The ridge was not the same height through that area. When they welded two of the pieces together, they were not the same height. This caused the trunk seal to not be able to be pushed down all the way and caused a gap under the trunk seal where water could go under the trunk seal and into the trunk. I put a lot of silicone sealant under the seal in that area to fix the problem. I think it would also be a good idea to grind the ridge down to the correct height, but then you would have to paint the bare metal and take the risk of damaging the paint on the top pf the quarter panel.
  • i want to have a discusstion with you.
    Hi, welcome to CarSpace!

That post was made quite a while back. Why don't you let us know what's on your mind? We'll try to help!
  • I don't really need any help with my car at this time. I just wanted to post an answer to the person that had the leaky trunk in case he was still dealing with it. I have owned many Camrys, but I just bought the first Avalon about a month ago. It seems to be a pretty good car now that the check engine light is off for a knock sensor problem and the trunk leak is fixed. Thanks
    Thank you for the help! Your thoughts will be helpful to someone, perhaps many people, and we appreciate it very much.

I was actually asking the person who posted after you what we could do to help him since he didn't really say, but I'm glad to see that you are still around. You might enjoy some of our other discussions in the Avalon group as well.

Welcome!