Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    About 1000x more attractive than the L....

~alpha
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Ya, no kidding. Dare I almost say this is one of the best looking sedans period. Hopefully production will be true to these pictures.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Looks like Saturn is finally beginning to get its act together. The Sky looks very nice. The Aura should be built- it must be at least 1,000,000 times nicer looking than the L.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Wow.. that's a nice car. If only the L was more like that, who knows where Saturn sales could have been now.

Better late than never. Get it to market ASAP!!
    If it's as nice as it looks in the pictures, I may replace my Intrigue with a 3.6L version.

Which platform is this car? It would seem to be the Malibu/Saab/G6 as it will be built in Kansas.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    loved the dealer, the car was mediocre. Saturn has been going downhill since it was introduced.

The new stuff looks spectacular, however. Thank you Mr. Lutz for saving the brand.
    I remember trying hard to like the L300 but in the end I got an Intrigue. The Aura looks HOT and I hope it's everything Saturn says it is.
  • sounds almost like Aurora :) Ominous. I have to tell you guys the truth about Aura - it is most likely the next generation Opel Vectra with the Saturn badge. I expect the car that comes after ION to be an exact copy of Opel Astra. You can see new Astra in Detroit showphoto gallery. And Astra looks aike a smaller Aura.
  • Where do I sign? With only a two detail changes I will write the check right now. The tail Lights need to be tri color like the Opel's and the rear license opening needs to be wider to reduce the bubble look of the bumper. Otherwise I LOVE it. American companies always Cheap out with the solid red tail/turn signals. Looks extremely cheap to me. With those two small changes you have a very sophisticated looking car This is what the Malibu should have been.
    I suspect this car will cost more than a Malibu though. Saturn is clearly moving up market to compete head on with VW and Honda so expect those kind of prices.
  • Rather with VW than Honda. Honda competition supposed to be the Malibu.

I think that new Vectra tailights will be identical to Auras.
  • According to GM insiders, the Aura seems to be heading towards a redline version with 300hp on tap. No word on whether this will come by a turbo, SC, or small block v8.

Will most likely need standard AWD to handle the power.

While I like the idea of the extra HP, I'm also curious of GM looking at bringing over some of the Opel Vectra engine choices in terms of the 2.0 or 3.0 turbo diesel.

I'd love to see saturn take over for VW as a brand people can look to for affordable European quality, performance and economy (diesel).

Lastly, when the vectra wagon gets the aura face lift, they need to bring it here to. That would pretty much put a competent contender to the diesel passat variant, and more options are better than one!
  • nextmoonnextmoon Posts: 386
    Anyone know what the rough dimensions are for this concept (length,height,width)? Only info I've found so far saids it's midsize...but 'midsize' has been growing with each iteration of models.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    I think it will be pretty close to the Pontiac G6. The design should leave a little more head room though.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Posts: 386
    I was thinking about the same thing with the G6 but then again manufacturers can stretch or shrink a platform to that they need.
    I read somewhere the Aura is slightly stretched. I still can't believe GM is giving this car it's 3.6L as an option, Wow!
    Yeah. It would be something if you could get a loaded Aura with the 3.6 somewhere around 28k. Assuming Saturn can nail the suspension mix, that would be quite a sedan.
    I am feeling good about this car. Never thought I would feel like that about a Saturn. I hope it's coming to the Toronto Int'l auto show. Can't wait to see it.
    Oh man! If the Aura is in Toronto it will not be in Chicago ;)

Seriously, it would make sense to have the model in Toronto. Chicago is a good local show but the US media either hit the NAIAS in Detroit or wait for New York.

Toronto on the other hand, is the jewel of the Canadian circuit.

I allowed myself some room for optimism when I first heard last year that Saturn would start looking to Opel for its design. I must say the Aura and the Sky were much better than I ever let myself hope they may be.

I had a Saturn a while back. I really enjoyed the dealer experience. I just have not enjoyed the product of late. I really think the Saturn sales network deserve some hits.
    I loved my experience at the Saturn dealer, I just didn't love the cars. The Aura is WAY better than I had hoped for. GM may have 2 prototypes so Chicago and Toronto could both have one. Lets hope, I really want to see this car.
  • Does this mean that the prices for Saturns are going up? Some articles say that Saturn is planning to go upsacle.
    The L Series were priced about the same as Pontiac. The Aura looks to be somewhat upscale from the G6. So I imagine you will be looking at somewhat higher prices than Pontiac but lower than Cadillac.

Think Passat level prices and you should be close. My theory at least.
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    GM says the Aura will compete with the Passat, so it will be priced accordingly.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    i'm looking forward to seeing this car at the chicago auto show. i'm impressed both inside and out. way to go GM!

this could be the first GM car that's truly competitive against top end accord/camry V6 models and the base passat (passat is going way upstream with the next model).
  • The Vectra taillights are the same shape but are tri color. Amber turn / red stop-tail and clear backup. EU law requires Amber turn signals and turn indicators at the rear of the front fenders or side view mirror mounted turn indicators. Also the larger rear plate opening reduces the huge bumper look.
    rsx-sfan : I don't think prices will that much higher than the L-series when it came out. L-series were no bargain until they didn't sell. I do think the $5000+ cash backs will be gone (not needed)though. With a car like this GM could command a more premium price.

Venus : I agree. While I think the Malibu is close, this one will have the V6 power and premium interior. Hopefully the base engine will be the 170 hp 2.4L VVT.
  • American automobile standarts are less developed than European ones. I do not see the reason why GM insists in red turn signals. It is safer to have yellow turn signals than red ones, that are undistinguishable from stop signals, and also yellow repeaters one the side of the car.
    Both our GM vehicles (Intrigue and Montana) have amber turn signals.
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    I've been looking for a replacement for my Olds Intrigue and haven't seen anything that I can really get excited about (even expensive cars like STS and G35) except the Acura RL. And even then, the exterior styling leaves me wanting. That is until I saw the Aura.

Even tho Lutz says "what you see is what you'll get", they also said that maybe 4 or 5 things will change. That scares me since GM has a history of "dumb-ing down" concept cars (even tho this looks production ready). My fear is that the 4 things that will be changed are 1- the instrument cluster, 2- the center console, 3- the center stack, 4- the steering wheel. It's only 4 or 5 things, but any change to them would completely change the look of the car.

The Grand Prix looks good on the outside but the interior is horrible. The Aura looks good inside and out and hopefully anything that changes will be minor like tire size. The only disappointment for me is that there's no talk of AWD.