Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura

Comments

• logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I would not argue with you that some people do not think much about whether a car is FWD or RWD.

Those of us who are RWD fans are pretty dogmatic about it though. I see the CTS pulling in more people who cross shop 3 and 5 Series and C Series MBs.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Seems RWD drivers want to "drive" the car (slide it, drift it, make it do what they want, preferably on their favorite track/road), FWD drivers want to get where they are going, in any weather, with good performance, style, handling and comfort.

I assume Aura is aimed at the latter?

Wrt Opel Manta Rally; had one, drove for 6 years. It was RWD and terrible in the snow. It also fell apart.

Wrt Malibu; article in C&D stated B.Lutz told Chevy __not__ to dumb down the Euro Epsilon for USA market. Main change was longer travel, more compliant suspension to handle our bad roads (not what C&D or any sporting driver wants! ).
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    In the latest edition of M/T there are two spy shots. You cannot really see anything but the center mounted exhaust is out! That bites.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    I was initially under the impression there would be a 2.4L ecotec engine for the Aura but I was reading on the weekend the base engine will be a 3.5L with the Cadillac 3.6L as the upgrade.

Will there be no 4 cyl option?
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    From what I have read recently on-line the 3.5L OHV V6 will be the base motor (same as the one used in the G6 / Malibu) and the 3.6L OHC will but the upgrade motor. I suspect the need for premium fuel in the new 2.4L Ecotec is keeping GM from using it as a base motor on any of it's cars and trucks.

The 3.5 is a nice engine though and it's quite efficient.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Actually I believe the 3.5L used in the Aura is updated version of one in G6/Malibu - with more HP/torque for starters....

The 2.4L Ecotec is base engine in G6
    The new version of the 3.5L has VVT and makes 211hp in the 2006 Impala.

From the Chevy site

"The 211–hp 3.5L V6 engine in LS, 1LT, and 2LT models features advanced Variable Valve Timing (VVT) that uses an electronically controlled camshaft phaser to maximize horsepower and torque outputs. In fact, the 3.5L V6 has more standard V6 horsepower than Camry XLE V6 and achieves an estimated MPG 31 highway"
  • froggersjcfroggersjc Member Posts: 51
    Didn't know if everyone say the news that the Aura will be the first car to use a new 6 speed auto tranny developed by Ford/GM. this car keeps getting sweeter. Lets hope it continues that way! See it at:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107035
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I've heard the production Aura will be a 2007 model.
    It will be available in spring 2006 as an early 2007 model according to the latest Motor Trend. I am very interested in seeing the real car.
    It seems as though Saturn will stay FWD except for the Sky following today's news on autoweek.com that new RWD cars are coming for GM by 2010 or so.
    the new Epsilon and the forthcoming Lambda platforms can accomodate both.
    thanks for the information.

I should have said saturn won't go to rwd except for the new Sky.
    Aura is definitely FWD.
    I personally think it would be pretty interesting if they threw a turbo diesel in there for kicks. I know it will never happen, but GM better get ready for the shift to smaller and fuel efficient cars that still have a hint of performance and luxury. Otherwise its going to be a sea of Asian hybrids, Civics and Corollas. Surely Opel has some diesels over there in Europe. As someone who really enjoys driving, these fuel prices are putting a crimp in country cruises.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    The diesels can not be sold in California and I would guess some other states as well.
    You would see lots of VWs with diesels here in Cali right now, if they were allowed to be sold here. There was a time.

Any stats on how good the reliability is on the Opel? The Catera/Opel/Cadillac did not win many over to Cadillac from BMW any other car for that matter. Most people did not like it at all. I think the final year or two was better for quality control, but people did not like the interior set up. And what's up with not having rack and pinion? Hope the latest Opel is a winner abroad so it has a chance over here. How close will it be to the Aura?

So how would you compare the Aura to the Fusion looks wise?

Loren
    By the time this is available, the low sulfur diesel will be available in the US as well.

So you will have the diesel option even in Cali.

Opel is not a BMW level company. It is a VW level company. Saturn is looking to compete with the VW levels. BMW is for Cadillac.

The Opel Vectra gets good reviews abroad.

The Aura looks a lot better than the Fusion.
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    So you will have the diesel option even in Cali.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

I doubt that, I don't think they want any diesel here.
  • wlathanwlathan Member Posts: 2
    If you want to see the Aura, go to www.gm.com website and click on the gray arrow pointing to the right. Choose Opel or Vauxhall then look over all the details for the "new" Vectra. However, I think the base engine here will be a 2.4L four and the step up the 3.6L V6 from Caddy's CTS. Let GM know that we need a 6-speed manual with the V6.
    Base engine in the last GM release was the 3.5L OHV (approx 200 hp). Doubt you will see a manual, but you never know.
    It appears to me that the Aura better have a little something extra over the Ford Fusion/Milan. Personally i'd like to see better fuel economy and a competitive price. The new Ford sedans are getting high marks for style and handing dynamics while staying affordable. What will the Aura have over these capable vehicles? :confuse:
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    " What will the Aura have over these capable vehicles?"

For one, it's going to have more power from a 3.6L 240 hp engine. Styling is subjective so I wont get into that. Handling remains to be seen, probably something similar to the G6. The show car has a nice interior, hopefully the production will too. GM can make a nice interior when it wants to. Just look at the new Tahoe/Impala/Lacrosse/DTS/STS.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I just saw the pics of the Saturn Aura from SEMA. What an awesome looking car. If they actually build it as is, they'll have a hit on their hands. I can't wait to the production version for myself.
    I just saw the Aura Concept at the Indianapolis Auto Show and my hopes will remain high. GM: Please don't change the exterior or interior styling! Give it a powerful yet economic engine and tune its road manners at the Nuremmburing (sp?) like the CTS. If these come together, you will have sold at least 1 in a year or two =).
    Anything from Detroit on the Aura??
    I think I read where the NAIAS has a Saturn Aura there but it is the prototype from last year.

In the past, GM saved the Saturn announcements for Chicago and Toronto.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    My understanding is that the Aura will be shown at CHicago on Feb 8th or 9th. The Aura will have more power and space than the Fusion as well as 18" rims remote start, panoramic roof and stability control. The Ford cars are missing a lot of critical features which is partially why they are so cheap. Also, sit in the Fusion and Milan before singing their praises. The Fusion is definitely not up to import standards in style or materials. I saw plastic flashing in various places in the interior, including around the center storage bin. If the Aura's interior is anything like I think it will be it will be better than the Ford twins. I would say the G6's interior is superior to the Ford cars.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Agree about Fusion/Milan. Thats why I am waiting to see Aura (as well as new Stratus). Interior quality and design are very important in competetive market.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    i though the ford had a great interrior. Although i only looked inward and never sat in a fusion...

DOes anyone know, will the aura have 250hp or more?

Bravo GM if you build it. God job on the enclave aswel. Looks like the cost savings from the union concessions are finnally starting to show up as features and quality in your new vehicles!
    DOes anyone know, will the aura have 250hp or more?

GM says the 3.6 high output V6 will be an option with the Aura.

The Cadillac 3.6 is rated at 255 hps. I am not aware of any GM plans to detune the 3.6 for Saturn. If I recall correctly, the 3.6 currently can use 87 octane.
    My guess is the base setup will be the 3.5L with a 4 speed or 5 speed auto. The 3.6 should have 250hp although in Buicks it only makes 240 or 242hp. I'm hoping this means GM will give every FWD car with this engine 250 or more horses.

Saturn is really keeping this car under wraps for some reason. GM usually shows new models months before they go on sale. The Aura is supposed to launchin JUly or August of this year. I saw the concept in person at the autoshow and it was very nice.
  • claydogclaydog Member Posts: 26
    The Aura will be stunning. Much nicer than the model shown at the NAIAS in Detroit. Like the name ? I know who thought of it !
  • rlhoperlhope Member Posts: 2
    I saw the Aura concept at the Motor Trend show in Baltimore in February. I drive a 2000 BMW 540, 6 speed manual with 4.4 liter V8. I drive a lot and now have over 150,000 miles. I want to try American this time around. The trouble is I don't want to spend $60,000 on a nice car(which is what the BMW costs with taxes, tags, etc in '00.
    My biggest challenge with American cars was finding something that was good looking, fast, 6 speed, reliable and with all the latest technology. Saturn looks like the closest thing to that other than the Cadillac STS (after hypothetical on-line build I was over $60K). I'm hoping I can really get an Aura decked out for around $35K.
    My thoughts were when Saturn started that they could be the next BMW. But they never lived up to the hype and my buying kept going European. I think that the US car builders are getting the idea and that they have the quality issues right, I hope.
    I'd love to see an Aura Red Line with Supercharger or small V8 and all the goodies. Then they would have something to talk about.
    I doubt a loaded Aura will come anywhere near $35K. The Aura's pricing is likely to be very similar to that of the G6 if not somewhat higher due to 6 speed and DOHC motor. In the future expect a turboo 3.6L engine in the redline or a modified direct injection 3.6 with 280+ hp. Rumor has it that the new version of the 3.6 which will debut in the GM crossovers will have 287hp and I dont see any reason this engine cant be used in the Aura. A hybrid version is also in the works.

Depending on how soon you want to buy I would consider waiting for the 2008 CTS which is supposed to be a very sharp car. finding a reliable car that is American is no longer a challenge, dont be fooled by the media hype.
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    "I would say the G6's interior is superior to the Ford cars."

I came on here to see what folks thought about the Aura. But with stuff like this, I might as well have not. I mean come on, the press, reviews on this site, reviews on other sites have all canned the G6 for it's far subpar interior. The Fusion's interior is far better, though not on par with the imports.
    The G6 does have a nice interrior. I just don't know were ppl get off saying these things if they have not seen it in person.
    There is one major downplay, the display on the radio is dirt cheap and the material in the center is hard plastic, but the interrior as a whole looks and feels a few thousand more than it costs.
    The Aura should improve on this especially b/c it is probably the first beneficiary of the UAW wage/healthcare concessions. I could not see any other was GM could put such an advanced engine into a 25-30K product. Everything on this car should be a maket improvement.
    One question. Were is GM taking Saturn? It used to be the Cheap brand in GM's lineup. Now, if they are making it a performance brand, they already haveone, pontiac. How is Saturn gonna fit?
    Why is the Aura still under a veil of secrecy. I thought that this thing was supposed to hit the markets this year and there still aren't any production ready photos of the interior or exterior around are there? If anyone knows of any recent info, could you please let the rest of us know.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Hey, they did a nice job on the outside, but ran out of cash, I understand. :cry:

But Saturn is on the verge of a comeback with the Sky, Aura, and Outlook, plus a suave new Vue.

DrFill
    You mention the press you dont mention any real world personal experience in these two cars. Please check them out for yourself before telling me I am wrong. The Fusion interior is full of black plastic, most of which is hard. There is no chrome trim, the gauges are quite cheap and the Ford head unit looks incredibly dated. The G6 all black interior may look similar, but if you get in the cars you will see the difference. On top of that the G6 offers a two tone interior that is far brighter and more inviting than the monochromatic Fusion interior. Plus I could see part lines and rough flashing in the Fusion interior. The press gave the Fusion a free pass because it's based on the much loved Mazda 6.

The Aura is going to be shown at the NY auto show. It goes into production in July of this year. I dont think there is going to be a huge difference between the show car and the real car. Just smaller wheels and no center mounted exhaust. We should have all the answers in about a month. If they improve upon the G6 interior then this car should be a winner.
    The problem with G6 is not the interior. Mechanically it just is not in the same league as Fusion. Suspension is not as good. Engine is not DOHC, which is well-established industry standard for V6s for two decades already. GTP steering is not as precise as Fusions. And electric steering quality is very bad.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I didn't know the Fusion was Accord, reincarnated? :confuse:

DrFill
    How is the suspension not as good, did you drive a G6? Besides, these cars can cut the road with anyone. The OHV in the G6 doesn't bother me, it has VVT. They just need to make the car loose weight, meybe make the block alluminum.
    Yep. I drove both GTP and some other model, GT or something.
    GTP being better than Altima is still is not as good as Ford. Good steering feedback but it is not precise. Suspension does not feel refined enough.

3.9L engine feel pretty refined but is it enough for high rpm? Other OHV engines suck regardless of fuel economy. There is a reason why almost all I4s and V6 are DOHC or SOHC. It helps engine rev more what is useful at high speed.

BTW Opel Vectra does not win compares either (with likes Mondeo and Passat).
    You are very misinformed. The Fusion, and other Ford products, has been criticized for its unfrefined V6. The duratec isnt known for being refined. The 3900 has been praised in every review I have seen of the G6 and Malibu SS. It redlines at 6400rpm which is higher than some DOHC engines. The 3900 has VVT which means it wont run out of breath near the end of the tach. You also fail to mention that the 3.9 handily beats the Fusions V6 in hp and torque. A GTP with auto should do 0-60 in about 6.6secs compared to 7.4 for the Fusion with two more gears.

The suspension layouts of the Epsilon based cars and the Fusion is very similar so I Dont know where you get off saying the suspension isnt refined. The G6/Aura share the same suspension as the 9-3/Vectra/CAddy BLS so I'm pretty sure the ride and handling are refined. I dont know about the steering, but based on what I've read the GTP's hydraulic steering system is much improved over the base G6's steering.

The Fusion is lacking quite a few features and the fact that it has a 6 speed auto (which the aura will match) does not cover that up. How could Ford introduce a car in this segment with satellite radio? What about stability or MP3 connectivity? How about remote start or 18" wheels? Where is the name brand sound system? All of those things will be on the Aura. The Fusion is nice but needs some additional features to really be a class leader.
    I didn't know that the Aura was otherwise known as the G6 or fusion.
    I saw the Aura at the Toronto Auto Show last month, very nice looking car. You really see the details when you see it in person. I was impressed.

If the car has a good size trunk and quality interior with a fair price, I could be in for a 3.6L version. I just hope GM doesn't over price the 3.6 version of the LaCrosse.
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    "You mention the press you dont mention any real world personal experience in these two cars. Please check them out for yourself before telling me I am wrong."

Careful now what you go assuming. My friend works at a Pontiac dealership and I have been in a total of five G6s and driven a red GT coupe. I did speak about the mags but I have a whole lot of personal experience. I actually took pictures of the G6 next to my Mazda6.

I have also spent some time in a Fusion as I was considering buying one. I have sat in several to see how the different colors look. THe biege is nice but the dull wood doesn't appeal to me. The piano black on black also doesn't appeal to me. Anyhow. The Ford unterior is nicer. Me and my friend also sat in one of those and the Pontiac dealer agrees. The interior of the Ford is nicer but the exterior we disagree on which is better.

I have seen an Aura at several car shows. It looks good. I just hope the interior is FAR better than both the Pontiac's or Fords and in line with say a TSX or a Zephyr in material quality and the use of real wood. This car has potential if not priced out of the market. I don't think it can compete with an IS or G35 or 3 Series. If it stays in the high 20s region with top models poking above 30K it will do well. Remember from 30 - 35K there are some serious heavy hitters like the seemingly untouchable 3-Series, the deathly fast IS350 and Infiniti G35, the feature laden TL, and the buy-at-a-premium-only... need I even say the name...300C. Going up against those heavt hitters is facing off against the pitbulls. If they are going to do it, they better come ready. Plus the CTS is right there and will be new soon so you don't want cannibalism.
    I actually consider Aura because do not like interior of Fusion/Milan and engine is supposedly better GM Northstar. Price will be higher too I guess.

Aura is not the same as G6. It is based on new Opel Vectra while G6 is an older platform. I guess steering will be better on Aura also because Germans wouldn't accept steering on Malibu/G6.

Opel Vectra lost in midsize sedan comparo to both Passat and Mondeo. Fusion is not based on Mondeo but Ford probably let Mazda access Ford's expertise on FWD cars. Mazda never was famous in designing good FWD cars.
    wrong again. The Aura is the last car to come off the Epsilon platform. It is indeed the same as the Malibu MAxx and G6 underneath. The 9-3 and Vectra share this platform. A new epsilon will be out within two years but it doesnt exist yet. As I said in my earlier post the G6 GTP has hydraulic steering so the Aura will probably offer the same thing, at least on the 3.6 model. The base model with the 3.5L V6 will probably offer electric steering just like the base G6/Malibu. Aside from the powertrain the Aura is a modified G6. It will even have the panorama moonroof just like the Pontiac.

The 3.6 V6 in the Aura has nothing to do with the northstar. There was a V6 based on the Nstar some time ago in the Olds Intrigue but that engine was discontinued years ago.
    First of all you can forget about the Aura having real wood. GM only used real wood on Cadillacs and some Buicks. I dont think GM is stupid enough to try and sell a Saturn for $35K, give them some credit. My guess is that a loaded Aura will come in at around $30K just like the G6. Since this is an unknown brand name I think they will be aggressive in terms of pricing. I figure base price will be around $22K, which is where the G6 V6 starts. I think a loaded Aura will be a great alternative to a 200hp TSX with a small backseat.

To each his own in terms of interior styling, but I dont see how anyone could fnd the Fusion superior to the G6 on the inside. the dull gauges and 10 year old head unit kill it for me. In addition the G6's seats are far more aggressively bolstered. On the exterior, the G6 rides much lower than the Fusion which gives it a sporty stance.