Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    I became interested in this because the Manual contains NOTHING about the location and I knew that it should be a simple replacement to make...
    - open the glove compartment
    - pull down the fabric at the back (it is held up by velcro)
    - open and then unsnap the upper tray. The tray is held on by three easy to remove clips.

Once removed, the filter is easily visible and clearly marked. Pull out by pushing in the 2 side clips and the entire housing easily slides out.

That's it - no tools needed. There is only one OEM filter which you can buy on-line approx. $37, or less expensive aftermarket filters at auto parts stores for $23
    (Dealer charge for this replacement is worth checking out, you might be surprised at how much you can save.) ;)
  • jtsjts Posts: 15
    On my wife's car they have a nice ride and quite frankly I don't hear them so they must be reasonably quiet. They get great owners comments on Tire Rack's website as well. I will put them on my RL next.
  • shs111shs111 Posts: 39
    Pleased to report back that the problem was finally diagnosed and (hopefully) fixed. For future reference, the issue relates to the Headlight Adjuster Leveling Sensor, which can get "stuck" and creates the warning error. When it gets "unstuck" the warning error light goes away and they can't find the problem. The service guy had the sensor replaced, and hopefully it'll do better this time. Apparently a known problem in the design of the RL adaptive headlights.

And of course they also washed the car, which always helps me feel that I didn't completely waste my time. Great car, just those few bugs that get annoying.
  • mack99mack99 Posts: 6
    I bought my RL one year ago. There were initial problems with the front right door lock not working from the inside. And a slight rattle in the dash coming from the small round air vents located on the far ends of the dash. The dealer fixed these items that week and I haven't had the first complaint since. The car is extremely quiet with no rattles, tire problems or ignition switch problems, etc.; that some others have complained about. I'm very happy with it and look forward to my commutes to/from work.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    I read an article published on MSN stating that, after the warranty period passes and you have to pay out of pocket, repair costs for high tech cars such as the RL are sky high because these cars can only be fixed by dealers, and your independent garage mechanic at the corner (who charges you less) would not have the know how or equipment to troubleshoot these cars. I think there is some truth to the statement. However, I do not mean to say that we should be buying and driving grannie cars that can jeopardize our life and safety. WHat do you think? Is buying an RL worth the risk of high repair bills?
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    Is buying an RL worth the risk of high repair bills?

I don't think the risk is any higher than any of the other luxury cars, with the possible exception of Lexus. Most people I know who drive BMWs and Mercedes, won't keep them beyond the warranty period because of potentially high repair costs. As more and more cars add more and more high tech gizmos, most will have high repair costs as they age.
  • That's why the extended warranty is a good investment.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    Technology is an excellent reason not to own a modern day car beyond its warranty period (unless you bought a comprehensive extended warranty).

A few months ago a friend had all the 'idiot' lights illuminate on her STS. She took it to the dealer (her trusted local mechanic of 15 years could not decipher the code the car's computer gave). Dealer determined her ABS pump was faulty as was the computer that controls the ABS and air bag deployment - a $2,700 expense with 53,000 miles on the odometer.

To make a long story short, she called Cadillac corporate about getting reimbursed for this expense (on an item that should not fail considering the mileage). They were gracious in honoring her request after the warranty period and reimbursed her 100% (excluding three days of a rental car).

Kudos to Cadillac for their actions. But in retrospect, they didn't need to come through and as stated, cars are becoming more and more reliant on technology.

Owning a car beyond its warranty period is foolish. And on a side note, probably the two better brands to buy from (if one was calculating a brand as the best bang for the buck) are Buick and Acura. Well built cars available for under $36K with a 4 yr/50K factory warranty. Infiniti and Lexus are close behind but their ES350 and G35 models have been plagued with quality control issues. Still...they are relatively affordable with good warranties.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    I've been knocking on wood for 21 months now regarding the 2005 Celestial Silver RL in my garage. No warranty repairs needed so far at 19,000 miles. If I decide to keep the car beyond the standard warranty period I will consider buying an extended warranty at that time. Off hand does anyone want to volunteer the costs and information about the time frame and options ...etc
  • hadhad Posts: 32
    Early in the 2005 year Nov 04 the AFS light came on 4-5 times the last time I was within 2 blocks of the dealer in the daytime and did not turn of the car. They looked at it but could not see an error code sine 2/05 the problem never reoccured. The AFS warning came on without the lights be on?

Harry
  • hadhad Posts: 32
    I was one of the first to have a white 2005 back in Nov 2004 and complained every few weeks. The dealer sent me to the their body shop and they performed heat test on the temperature around the bumper. It was extremely high. Hot enough to eventually discolor the bumper. We looked at a black RL in the shop and it's bumper was discoloered (more miles on it). The body shop contacted Honda and they were told they we aware of the problem and a fix may eventually come out (it's out now, which amounts to inserts in the exhast pipe). The body shop went ahead and extended the exhast pipe out 1/2-3/4 inches and the black soot problem went away. When the fix came out they installed the inserts too! Great customer service!
  • am_odessaam_odessa Posts: 7
    you can check out http://www.curryacuracare.com/ for warranty info
  • Thanks for the reply. I had 2006 exhaust tips installed (the defect is fixed for the 2006 model year) and I have been problem free ever since. Acura pays for the tips and installation as a warranty item--I agree, great customer service. Steve
  • I got several random AFS warnings in various conditions over the first year. I let the dealer know and they were able to tell right away that positional sensor in the steering was failing. The dealer replaced it and I haven't had any issues since. That's the only glitch I've had in my '05 in 18 months.
  • luken001luken001 Posts: 1
    Occasionally, I turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens. If I then turn it fully left and then back to start, everything works fine. We've been having the problem for years but it is happening more frequently now. Anyone encounter this problem? Is it the ignition switch or a relay some place else?
  • kellykkellyk Posts: 5
    I just purchased a brand new 2006 RL a month ago and it's just way too noisy. My family owns a Honda Pilot and Lexus es330 and it has the most road noise. I understand that Toyota cars are known for its quite ride, but even worse than the Pilot? Perhaps, something wrong with my car?? Is anyone having same complaints?
    It's a $50,000 car and I'm very dissapointed.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,619
    Some posts were removed for flaming. Please refrain from any personal comments in the forums.

thank you,

Mrshiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• mack99mack99 Posts: 6
    I sent an earlier reply to your problem - suggesting that the problem is cause by a weak battery. I had a 1994 Legend that had the same exact problem you describe.
  • lorenzo2lorenzo2 Posts: 16
    From the enter destination menu the address book, today's destination, and go home are greyed out. Anyone knows how to fix this problem. 2006 rl and yes I had a destination entered before the problem.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    There's nothing wrong with your car. It's just "the nature of the beast." The RLs aren't very quiet at all, despite the noise cancellation technology.
  • 1) make sure you have a 'home address' entered... go to setup > personal information > home address and make sure you have home address there

2)todays destination ... will be grey unless you have pre designated one or more destinations as "todays"
  • 2005 RL ..

Overall, I've been very disappointed with the quality of the car .. so many noises and squeaks and rattles .. like a NYC taxi...

Most recent rattle that is driving me INSANE is one that appears to be coming from the drivers seat belt .. has anyone experienced this and does anyone have a solution? Dealer cannot do anything about it and I will trade the car in if I have to listen to this much longer.
  • jts220jts220 Posts: 2
    My 05 RL had same problem with the AFS light. Dealer traced to level sensor in the rear suspension. Dealer located problem right away, but had to fly part in. They gave me a loaner, so no problem. :)
  • In our 2006 RL, I can't pair my bluetooth phone (RAZR) with the handsfreelink system. For the second step, when you must press the talk button and say "phone set up", it always does something different, like turn the radio on. I can't get it to follow that one command for some reason. Is there any other way to pair my phone, without using the voice control system?
  • It sounds like you're pressing the wrong button on the steering wheel. You want the one on the wheel that has a picture of a phone on it, not the one you use to give commands for navigation or sound system. I did the same thing this weekend when pairing a phone for the first time.
  • andy2andy2 Posts: 2
    Has anyone else had problems with bluetooth dropping calls? The phone rings, but when you answer, the call is gone. If they call back, it usually works fine. I had it into the dealer and supposedly they replaced the whole part, but it still is a problem.
  • lorenzo2lorenzo2 Posts: 16
    RL 2006 only on driver 1 when trying to change setting I'm getting message driver unknown customize impossible any help would be appreciated
  • bobrlbobrl Posts: 6
    I've had an intermittant problem with my Motorola 815 phone (Verizon) but not dropping calls. What happens is the incoming call shows up on the dash,and then disappears, but there is no audio thru the speakers. The call is actually connected to the phone, but there is no audio thru the handset since it is actually Bluetooth linked to the car. Powering down the phone & turning it on again has always fixed the problem.
  • I'm back with another problem. My 06 RL won't show any traffic on the navigation system. We've pressed "show traffic incidents" and it keeps saying that there is no traffic within 30 miles (which is not accurate). We also made sure that the options to show traffic, etc., were on. I even looked up on the xm navtraffic website to see if our area is covered, and it is (even down to the county). I know it should work, because it did when we picked it up at the dealer. Any suggestions?
  • I had this exact same issue. lucky for me i noticed it before i left the dealer.
    The issue is the key fob is not properly linked to the car.
    I dont know offhand how to do the link, as the service guys did it in about 2 minutes for me. BUt it may be in the manual, if not have them do it at your next service.